Posted 3:07pm

A closer look at LittleBigPlanet 3′s new characters

Find out how Swoop, Oddsock and Toggle came to be

One of the big surprises of E3 week was seeing LittleBigPlanet 3 unveiled live on stage during the PlayStation media briefing. If you haven’t got yourself up to speed already, Sackboy is all set to make his PS4 debut this November. Along with a raft of new features for Create mode, the major new additions to the series come in the form of three new playable characters: Swoop, Oddsock and Toggle.

“We wanted them to feel like they were part of the Sackboy family, rather than just a watered down version of the same character”

“We’ve spent a long time working on the characters,” explained XDev’s Pete Smith backstage at LA. “Not just making sure that they look distinctive but also that they each offer unique gameplay. That, for me, is the big thing. We want people to go ‘Wow, they really change up the game, and I can create totally new experiences with them’.

“We were also keen to make sure that they were very iconic from a silhouette point of view, so that when you look at them together you can instantly tell them apart. Yet we still wanted them to feel like they were part of the Sackboy family, rather than just a watered down version of the same character.”

Indeed, having played through hugely enjoyable E3 demo a few times over, I can confirm that they really inject fresh energy into the series, opening up all manner of possibilities both for the developers and the community. It’s no exaggeration to say that the biggest smiles in the SCEE room at E3 could be found in the LBP area, where groups of players gleefully egged each other on in four-way co-op as they got to grips with Sackboy’s new pals.

Want to find out more? Pete talked us through each character in turn, explaining how they came to be and what their individual attributes are.

Swoop_E3_01_1402365336

Swoop

“Swoop was the first one we came up with. He has a specific purpose – Swoop can fly, and he can access hard to reach places. One of the most useful things with Swoop is that he can pick things up – objects, but also the other characters, with the exception of ‘big’ Toggle.”

Oddsock

Oddsock_E3_01_1402365320

“Then there’s Oddsock, who’s a four-legged character. He’s not quite a dog; he’s more… well, he’s just an odd sock! Oddsock can wall jump and wall slide, and is really fast.

“Once you play the Oddsock levels and start nailing your jumps, it’s really fluid and much quicker than the familiar LBP gameplay. It’s a very different experience – we didn’t just want him to be Sackboy on four legs, we wanted him to be his own unique character.”

Toggle

Toggle_E3_01_1402365364

“Finally we’ve got Toggle. Toggle can be big, or he can be small. Toggle started off as just one character – big Toggle – but it didn’t quite give you enough combinations, and that’s what LittleBigPlanet really needs.

“What we like in LBP is that we want everything to be very intuitive, so when he’s big he’s strong and heavy, and when he’s small he’s light and quick – it’s obvious. When you play the game it feels really natural – you’ll instantly know where to use him, and it brings in a nice puzzle element.

“He also brings with him a hell of a lot of gameplay possibilities, especially when you start using some of the customisation features.”

The ones that got away

“Early on we had loads of different ideas. I was looking at some of the concepts the other day actually. The Sackworm didn’t last too long before he found himself on the cutting room floor!

“They all started out as silhouettes. They needed to be game changers, they need to be fully customisable, they needed to feel like they belonged in the world, and they needed to have personality. I think the final three characters have really struck that balance.”

So, which one have you taken a shine to? Let us know below, and look out for more updates on the game as November approaches.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

42 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first
BaneyFunny 20 June, 2014 @ 3:17 pm   1

Its amazing what Sony has created here, but is it true on PS4, you cannot listen to your mp3 music in the game like you can in Little Big Planet 2 & 1 (in the Menus and in the Editor)? So this means the PS4 is now a step backwards only because Sony wants to trick gamers into buying Music Unlimited? Which does not have my personal mixtapes, which does not have language courses, Anthony Robbins Motivational Tapes, why can I not play my own mp3 files in PS4 games?? Sony wants to lose Playstation too, after already losing Music, Phones, Walkmans, TVs, Vaios? When does Sony wake up pls? Give gamers freedom and better prices and then you have a true mass market with Playstation and not just a niche product like its now.

link1983 20 June, 2014 @ 3:30 pm

Really, this again?

How can someone be so obsessed with MP3s?
    Seriously, you’re the first to post on most blog articles and you keep going on about the same thing. Many people want music and video support and it’s most likely come to PS4 eventually.
    Stop spamming with your stupid, little rants on here already.

Fred Dutton 20 June, 2014 @ 4:26 pm

Your message is heard loud and clear. As has been pointed out a number of times in recent executive interviews, future PS4 updates are always in the works so you can expect additional features in due course. In the meantime, please don’t spam unrelated threads with the same message or you’ll attract the attention of moderators. Many thanks.

DoYouLikeMyID 20 June, 2014 @ 7:49 pm

@link1983 & @Hogen_

You may not care about MP3 support, but there are many good reasons why a lot of us gamers do care about it. It would be awesome to be able to listen to your own music while playing any game, and now you’re probably thinking “you can listen to your music on another device while playing games on your PS4″, right? Well, it can be done (and I do it sometimes), but it’s rather inconvenient.

And now for the (much) bigger problem: What about games that rely on being able to import and use MP3 files from your system? For example: KickBeat Special Edition. Let me quote from their website:

“The game combines beat-matching mechanics with an acrobatic style of martial arts, turning every song into a raucous battle. The game also features a music analyzer that allows players to create new tracks from their own music libraries.”

However, this isn’t possible without MP3 support! Another game (which is set to come this october) is WWE 2K15. It’s the next game in a wrestling series, that is heavily focused on customisation, and one of those things you can customise is a wrestler’s entrance music. You can add any song you want from your console’s MP3 library, but here’s the problem: You can’t have an MP3 library on PS4! Luckily though, Shuhei Yoshida confimed (I believe it was on Twitter) that MP3 support will come in a future update.

While you two may not care about MP3 support, there’s plenty of reason to actually care. And I wouldn’t say @BaneyFunny is completely off topic. He’s merely shedding light on a missing feature that was in the other games, and expressing his dislike of the issue. Granted going into TV- and Vaio-territory is a little off topic, but I suppose you two and I are much more off-topic than he ever was.

So, on the topic of this article, I really like Oddsock and Toggle. I think they’ll make for great additions to the game. However, I’m a little worried that Swoop could ruin a lot of level’s if you can’t make any character restrictions on levels. I for one made a very open level with lots of obstacles in LittleBigPlanet 2, which was fine for sackboy, (and probably for Oddsock and Toggle as well) but Swoop would just be able to fly over the entire level, which wouldn’t be very fun at all… So I certainly hope there will be some kind of restrictions as to which characters can be used in certain levels (online too), because I can see Swoop becoming a big problem otherwise. But I’m still really excited for this game :D

Quinlank 20 June, 2014 @ 9:24 pm

It’s a troll account. Created less than a month ago and no sign of it actually having been used on any Playstation console that I can see. This site needs an ignore function.

renaultmilton 20 June, 2014 @ 3:32 pm   2

Will LittleBigPlanet 3 include Pre-order offer? :)

andrewsqual 20 June, 2014 @ 3:39 pm   3

Can’t wait for this ^_^ And, yet again, Sony will probably spoil us with offering all the Costumes released for LBP games to date at no extra cost. I like Swoop the best so far. ^_^
Wonder what game Media Molecule has cooking up. :)

Alexanderfreyr 20 June, 2014 @ 6:17 pm

Why do you say “Sony” will spoil us? They’re not making the game.

Quinlank 22 June, 2014 @ 12:56 am

They kind of are actually. They own Littlebigplanet as a whole and they’re paying for it to be made here.

Maulerr_NL 20 June, 2014 @ 3:58 pm   4

Can’t wait.

What a Jolly main picture :D It makes me want to jump with Joy like little Sack-boy is doing ;) DAY 1(like all the past LBP games have been for me) ;) + OddSock i fell in Love :D with as soon as i saw him.

Archacus 20 June, 2014 @ 4:00 pm   6

@anyone at playstation EU blog

Sorry for hijacking yet another thread, but is there any way to contact someone that is responsible for blog without twitter/facebook?

The thing is we are trying to bring game to VITA (don’t be afraid I’m not going to talk about FF Type-0) but to get it we will have to reach stretch goal on their kickstarter page. The game is called World End Economica from the author of Spice and Wolf and translated by sekaiproject. I don’t know if anyone from sekaiproject tried to contact you already… but we fans are also trying to look for some help… so we have been thinking…

Would it be possible for someone from blog team to post something about their kickstarter campaign on this blog? Every help would be great!

I know that all publishers can do that without SCEE team via accessing Sce DevNet but sekaiproject is getting funds on kickstarter… and we don’t know whether they will succeed or not.

We managed tto gather 45 thousand $… the VITA goal is 100 thousands. 21 days to go.

WEE is Visual Novel… I’m not sure… but if we succeed it might be first typical japanese VN on playstation NA/EU

Edit: I have no twitter
Edit2: I have tried to contact Mr. Shahid Kamal via email… with no result.

Archacus 20 June, 2014 @ 4:01 pm

EDIT:3 Bahh…. copying was bad idea…

52k$ with 19 days to go.

Fred Dutton 20 June, 2014 @ 4:23 pm

I’m afraid it’s generally not possible to feature games on PS Blog that are not actually confirmed to be coming to a PlayStation platform. I will say that the game looks very cool though. I’d say your best bet is to get yourself on Twitter and start asking individual gaming figures on their personal accounts for an RT – PlayStation people included. You can start with me @FredDutton!

Now, let’s stay on topic please!

Archacus 20 June, 2014 @ 4:29 pm

@Fred Dutton
    Thank you very much for reply! That’s all I wanted.

Now that I know that it is not possible due to SCE policy I won’t mention it ever again here.

I will have to make them reach the stretch goal other way.

About Twitter, nah I’m going to pass… I’m not a big fan of social media.

Anyway thank you!

Fred Dutton 20 June, 2014 @ 4:31 pm

Never underestimate the power of SM! Good luck with the project though.

Quinlank 20 June, 2014 @ 9:30 pm

I agree with your stance on social media, mate (I don’t use Twitter either), but I really think you should at least create a Twitter account to contact guys like Shahid. He has a good track record of responding to indies through Twitter.

Just ditch the Twitter account when you’ve gotten what you need and never look back I say.

DoYouLikeMyID 20 June, 2014 @ 9:39 pm

@Fred

I’m pretty sure the blog article for Mighty No. 9 was up before the kickstarter reached the stretch-goal that would bring it to PS consoles. So maybe it’s possible to do the same for this game? You could perhaps just make it very explicit in the article that the game may not make it to Vita, if the stretch-goal isn’t reached.

The more publicity the kickstarter gets, the bigger the possibility of the game making it to our favorite handheld is, that much is for sure. ;)

Archacus 21 June, 2014 @ 5:30 pm

@DoYouLikeMyID
    Nah it is fine… it would help a lot… but either way I’m going to make them reach 100k$. Anyway sekaiproject will probably make announcment about it soon :) So yeah… I would say that we will make it happen!

Yeah Mighty No.9 and some title from harmonix studio asked here on blog for help on kickstarter… but most probably they did it via their own SCE DevNet… I mean nobody from SCEE had to write about it.

KaneTheGoth 22 June, 2014 @ 2:02 am

You don’t need to be a “fan” of social media to use it, and if you are trying to get the word out for your KS project then it’s fairly ludicrous you aren’t prepared to use Twitter to promote yourself, as used correctly you would *easily* be able to boost the reach and general awareness of your project. I fully understand if you don’t use it for ethical reasons though, but you can’t expect others to put effort into promoting it for you if you aren’t even prepared to use a potentially powerful (albeit flawed) form of social media to do it for yourself.

Personally I hate Twitter too, but have successfully used it to achieve a decent (and noticeable) reach on some previous projects.

Not meaning to have a dig, and all comments are intended in a good way. Good luck with the project!

Archacus 22 June, 2014 @ 9:26 am

@KaneTheGoth
    It is not my KS :P I’m not from sekaiproject, I’m just a fan. Outsider that want to help them.

Archacus 20 June, 2014 @ 4:05 pm   7

Ohh and about game… not realy my genre… BUT I must admit that they had one of the best presentation on E3!

Why? because it was live! They weren’t just standing with dualshocks pretending to be playing! they were playing! They made some mistakes… and it just proved that it was actual game. Others were mainly just standing there while watching pre-recorded “gameplay”.

Rammsoldat 20 June, 2014 @ 4:37 pm   8

Play toggle>Colour him purple>Create the Grimace. Nothing can kill the Grimace

dark_angel69 20 June, 2014 @ 4:46 pm   9

This is putting me in the mood to go play LBP Vita. Been a while I played it but sadly I can’t seem to get a game online with others. Oddsock looks to be my own favorite outa the lot so can’t wait to play him. When I’m feeling a little evil, I may just use Swoop online! hehe.

Envirasu 20 June, 2014 @ 4:47 pm   10

This comes out close to my birthday, so I know what I’m doing this November. Can’t wait!

TargetFinderKing 20 June, 2014 @ 5:17 pm   11

Probably still buying this on PS3.

KHAWLA16 20 June, 2014 @ 7:59 pm   12

I’m really love this game <3

Can’t wait to recreate my awesomely awesome level, with 16 layers, new characters a hopefully much bigger temp bar, new exciting characters, bigger map area & new tools!! I think it’ll be possible to create some very magical worlds fulled with detail in fun

ShadowGandalf 20 June, 2014 @ 11:55 pm   14

As soon as I get my mits on Swoop, I’ll customize him to look like Blu from Rio. I love Rio, So much. Also, are there any details on how LBP3 will work in a single player capacity? I’d hate to think it’s 4 player co-op only.

pingrek77pl 21 June, 2014 @ 2:52 pm

I will customize my Oddsock as dragon, but Swoop as Phoenix. LBP3 will be single player too, but you can play as 1 character at time.

dark_angel69 21 June, 2014 @ 9:06 pm

If possible I’d like to customize my Swoop as a dragon, Oddsock as a direwolf, big Toogle as the mountain and small Toogle as the imp!

Ryukipenguin 21 June, 2014 @ 12:47 am   15

I know this is sort of a weird question, but it this game playable with the move navigation controller? I ask this because I know someone who can only play with one hand but would love to play this game.

pingrek77pl 21 June, 2014 @ 2:43 pm   16

Sackworm? His power could be… dig? By the way, can’t wait to create even more exciting levels. And i gonna update my old levels with the new tools!

I like the scene at 1:10, runs at cinematic silky smooth 22 FPS
#4thePlayers

Quinlank 22 June, 2014 @ 12:59 am

I had to watch several times to see what you were talking about. Could be the video quality itself rather than the game, but yes, you’re right… they should have just thrown together a CGI trailer rather than letting us see the actual game instead.

KaneTheGoth 22 June, 2014 @ 1:52 am   18

RIP Sackworm

darkjalil 23 June, 2014 @ 4:06 am   19

man i hope i can get in the beta. got into destiny. i love lbp spent thousands of hours on that game. cant wait to spend hundreds on this game lol. and cant wait to see what media molicule have up there sleeves. oh the excitement. lol

Reptile-2k 23 June, 2014 @ 5:46 pm   20

A dream come true. Love to see LBP3 on my PS4!

Xx_ToOsEeR_xX 27 June, 2014 @ 8:06 pm   21

I like the new characters, Oddsock, Toggle, Swoop? Seems like a great idea. Buy still this worries me. Will it be mandatory to use them? because I want to play as Sackboy, when I talk to players, I don’t want to be a bird, I want to be sackboy, I don’t want to be some dude on four legs. I want to be sackboy. I don’t want to be some huge midget…I want to be sackboy.

dongledoalot68 8 July, 2014 @ 7:38 am   22

Is LBP3 coming out on PS3 as well? If it does it will make them sell more, not a lot of people have a PS4 in their house.