Posted 1 July

Intense top-down shooter Crimsonland hits PS4 this month

Take on hordes of aliens, giant spiders and zombies in 10tons’ latest

Hello folks! I’m really happy to be back on Playstation Blog to announce Crimsonland will launch on PS4 on 16th July.

It’s a big deal for us at 10tons, for a whole bunch of reasons. First of all, Crimsonland is an incredibly fun dual stick top-down shooter. It’s exactly the kind of game we love playing and developing. It’s delightfully old school too, with plenty of splatter and challenge.

crimsonland_gameplay_1_1920x1080

Crimsonland is also the game 10tons was founded on all the way back in 2003. It started as a student project, but soon reached a level of success that a company was needed to support it. The PlayStation 4 version at hand is still largely the same game. Sure, the graphics have been replaced with new HD assets, content has been added and design tweaks made, but the immensely satisfying gameplay remains intact.

It’s not a complicated game. You play this trooper guy. Aliens, giant spiders, zombies and other monsters start coming at you from every direction. You shoot them, but more keep coming. Soon enough you’ll be running. Just when you think you’re dead, you get some awesome power-ups and wipe the screen clear in few seconds, and it feels great. But an even bigger horde is already coming right at you.

crimsonland_gameplay_3_1920x1080

The game is kept fresh by an arsenal of 30 weapons and 55 perks. Perks are special abilities, which allow you to reload faster, shoot poison bullets and whatnot. But you only get to pick a few of them per game, from a shortlist of a few perks. You need to take your playstyle and the weapon you have into account too, as everything interacts with everything.

There’s a sixty mission campaign with three difficulty settings, and five survival gameplay modes with dedicated leaderboards for single player and 2-4 player local co-op. The co-op works basically by adding a monster amount multiplier based on player count, so with four players you get literally hundreds of enemies on screen at the same time.

Check the game out, and see you on the leaderboards!

crimsonland_gameplay_5_1920x1080

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

35 Comments 1 Author replies
Show oldest first

vivan000 1 July, 2014 @ 3:08 pm   1

Is this real life?

zalwelgoedgaan 1 July, 2014 @ 3:12 pm   2

Buying a PS4 now

Archacus 1 July, 2014 @ 3:18 pm   3

… I kinda get feeling that the only thing that I will like in this game is this graphic shown at the top…

I mean… it is based on famous Don Ivan Punchatz Doom game cover (o.O) which was later copied by many many other games … like Duke Nukem 3d

S3phi40T 1 July, 2014 @ 3:22 pm   4

Seriously, I just LOVE this game!!
Hope it won’t be overpriced.

Alphaembryo 1 July, 2014 @ 3:33 pm   5

PSN+ I say, but which month?

Alphaembryo 1 July, 2014 @ 3:33 pm   6

PSN+ I say, but which month?

Deak-in 1 July, 2014 @ 3:41 pm   7

Not really my type of game but good luck with the release guys.

On a side note; will the Crimson Chin be an unlockable character?

ZOMG!! Is this like a bullet hell / shump EDF on the PS4 with local co-op??!!! If so this is a must buy.

S3phi40T 1 July, 2014 @ 4:40 pm   9

It is “twin stick shooter”.

…but with mouse it was easy to predict spawns or mob’s movement and use Gause Gun. I’m wondering how it will be sorted out on PS4. Maybe touchpad will work as aiming device also ? hmmm. So curious!

johnnycide 1 July, 2014 @ 6:10 pm   10

This looks beyond horrible. I’m sure it’s a lot of fun to play, for about five minutes or so.
God I hope they don’t waste an IGC slot on this.

Roger-Neylan 2 July, 2014 @ 9:03 am

Just to spite another self-entitled child I hope this does become part of the IGC

BlueVane 2 July, 2014 @ 9:59 am

It’s been out on PC for years and years. It’s actually really good :) Excellent wave-survival game. Very bloody too!

Scuffy_P 2 July, 2014 @ 11:56 am

@ Roger-Neylan
    How is paying for a service and expecting a certain level of quality “self-entitlement”?
    If IGC was free, then yes I would agree with you. BUT IT’S NOT FREE!!! Add to the fact PSN is about as stable as a one legged drunk standing on a stack of empty beer cans, people have a right to expect a standard of service not currently being offered.

icecrasher_zero 1 July, 2014 @ 9:41 pm   11

I think I played this game ten years ago on PC…

Deicides 1 July, 2014 @ 10:30 pm   12

Any chance the Vita will see this? It seems like a fantastic game for your pocket.

Jaakko Maaniemi 2 July, 2014 @ 10:05 am

Yes! Crimsonland will be released for Vita as well. We originally hoped to release the Vita version at the same time with the PS4 version, but unfortunately didn’t get it quite ready in time before our summer holidays started. We hope to get the Vita version released in August or September. It’ll be crossbuy, like all our PS4/Vita games.

Deicides 2 July, 2014 @ 11:07 am

Awesome!

Witcher70 2 July, 2014 @ 12:15 am   13

I love 10tons…..but this game is not really my cup of tea…..but do come back with more game Jaako :D

HomessaHomem 2 July, 2014 @ 9:15 am   14

I WANT THIS IN MY VITA pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

BlueVane 2 July, 2014 @ 9:59 am   15

YES!!! I used to love playing this game on PC back in the day. Really surprised to see a PS4 release, all these years later, though!

For those who haven’t played, this is a really great wave-survival game. I highly recommend it.

johnnycide 2 July, 2014 @ 10:25 am   16

@Roger-Neylan
It’s Smash TV but with more sprites. If I wanted to play Smash TV I would do so. Self entitled doesn’t come into it. It’s also a port of a PC game which- as BlueVane pointed out- has been out for years.
The IGC should have some quality games in it and this just looks incredibly poor.
So what I was saying is that Sony could do better for the IGC than a port of a years-old game that was past it’s sell by date when it was first released, on a current gen console.
As I mentioned, I’m sure it’s fun for around five minutes but I can’t see it being something I would pick up for long.

Scuffy_P 2 July, 2014 @ 11:59 am

It’s absolutely dirt cheap for Sony to licence titles like this. Expect a lot more games like this over the next 7-10 years. A LOT more.

johnnycide 2 July, 2014 @ 8:32 pm

I don’t mind indie games on the IGC. Even the ones I’ve not played myself (Trine, Stick It To The Man) have at least been quality titles that deserved an audience. This though? This is a new low. It’s cheeky to even charge for this as it looks like a freeware game from 1998 and is just plain awful. We’ve already got possibly the best shooter so far in Resogun so why bother with this?

raul_principal 9 July, 2014 @ 11:37 am   17