Posted 7 July

Your first look at The Talos Principle, a philosophical puzzle adventure for PS4

More on the latest project from Serious Sam developer Croteam

Hello. I’m Tom Jubert, one of the writers on The Talos Principle, and I’m here to tell you a bit about the game because the other guys are lazy busy with finishing the game.

Announced during Sony’s PlayStation press conference at E3 in June, The Talos Principle is a first-person philosophical puzzler (‘philosophical’ spelt correctly here, unlike in our launch trailer) from Croteam, the guys behind the Serious Sam games. It’s a bit atmospheric, a bit sci-fi, and a proper challenge if you’re looking for one.

Pic 1

The guys brought myself and Jonas Kyratzes on as writers around nine months ago to deliver on their aspirations for the atmosphere and story. In the game you inhabit a robot body in a digital recreation of the ancient world, and explore at the behest of an omnipresent voice in the sky. We’re keeping our cards close to our chest on this one, but you could say Philip K Dick’s oeuvre is a close match for our general motif. We hope there’s loads here to dig into and piece together if you’re so minded, but equally if you’re just here for the puzzles it won’t get in your way.

Pic 2

About those puzzles. The concept has its roots in experimental puzzle mechanics developed for Serious Sam 4, and shares with that game the latest iteration of the Serious engine. Its trial by fire was playtesting around the office – on coming out unsinged, Talos was born. In a funny kind of way, you can see the FPS lineage here in the lengths the guys have gone to find creative alternatives to the red key, red door mechanics of yesteryear. Combine these new ideas with Croteam’s reputation for packing a game full of more secrets than you can shake a chainsaw at and I think you’ve got something pretty special.

I was 16 when I played the original Serious Sam, and I was blown away by what a small team could achieve. We’ve had to wait 13 long years to see what Croteam can do when they’re not looking down the barrel of a gun, and I’m excited to be helping them deliver that.

The Talos Principle will release on PlayStation 4 later this year.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

10 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Suton80 7 July, 2014 @ 3:29 pm   1

Awesome! Looking forward to this game. And it’s nice to hear again from Croteam.

Archacus 7 July, 2014 @ 3:29 pm   2

Hmm… hello Tom (didn’t you do something with FTL? I think I saw your name somewhere o.O sorry for off topic)

Would you be able to tell me something more about philosophical asspect of game? I’m kinda curious about some references that you used :P I mean name kinda indicates that it might have something to do with ancient Greece…. but than again the issue of free will kinda started being popular in medival and much later in modern times…

So… I kinda doubt that you will be using Aristotle’s work as referecnes… but might be wrong on that… but than agin it is called “talos” right? so probably you won’t be using Maslow’s or Freud’s works… or is it created from the scratch without any references?

So yeah I’m kinda curious about big names :P sorry about that :P

Uh oh and will there be dilemma of determinism issue? I hope so…

Hey! Yes, I did world design and event writing on FTL and the Advanced Edition. I also worked on The Swapper, Driver: San Francisco and Penumbra.

So the philosophical aspect comes in various guises. Free will is definitely in there. In general a nice way to look at it is a sort of historical retelling of the progress on humankind. Much as the approaches and solutions have developed, it’s most of the same questions being asked. This is reflected in the ancient architecture you see in the trailer.

With that in mind, there’s really no core set of references – ideas are drawn from everyone from Plato to Daniel Dennett. However, we did begin noting some starting points over in this thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/257510/discussions/0/540744935336803403/

In terms of delivery, we have the traditional methods (voice over, readables, environmental clues etc), but we’re hoping we can use them in some interesting ways. We also have some interactive dialogues, focused around digging up your philosophical baggage and examining it.

Is there the dilemma of determinism issue? We couldn’t do a fast-forward through human thought without that in there somewhere. The question will be whether you’re the sort of player to pose it.

This is an amazing article and an amazing trailer because both fail to inform me about the game or get me excited.

zalwelgoedgaan 7 July, 2014 @ 3:59 pm

I saw some Tetris blocks and a Portal cube, what more do you need to know?

I agree it’s a bit bland. The game is much more awesome than I made it sound. Keep an eye on the Croteam blog, hopefully once we can reveal more details we won’t have to rely on my PR skills to do the talking for us.

madmanwithabox12 7 July, 2014 @ 5:15 pm   4

I apologise, I know this isn’t the place but… I like that there was no weekly recap because all the biggest stories were about Vita. Yet when it’s PS4, SCEE (and SCEA) are all over it. It’s ridiculous how little Sony cares about Vita.

thekillingspree 7 July, 2014 @ 6:30 pm   5

I noticed it, too. These are sad days for Vita owners. It’s the beginning of the end. But at least we’re still getting some good games throughout this year :)

Gloom12356776543 7 July, 2014 @ 7:41 pm   6

Cant wait to play it ! looks great :) but I would kill for Serious Sam HD Collection for PS4 and Vita !!! ( SS FE, SS SE, SS 2, SS 3, and the two arcade titles :) ) BTW: I had great time last week enjoying sun and sea + playing SS 2 on my holiday in Croatia :)

why can’t i login with medenko1975 account?