Posted 16 July

How it feels to play The Last of Us Remastered in 1080p/60fps

PlayStation Blog goes hands-on with Naughty Dog’s classic on PS4

With The Last of Us Remastered’s PS4 30th July release just weeks away, I dove into a pre-release version of the game to see exactly how Naughty Dog is leveraging PS4′s hardware to upgrade last year’s biggest Game of the Year winner.

First, there’s the immediately noticeable bump in native screen resolution. The jump from 720p (PS3) to native 1080p (PS4) gives the visuals a major shot in the arm. The crisp new presentation banishes those nasty jaggies to the margins, while higher resolution environment textures adorn the lovingly crafted post-apocalyptic environments.

14480378159_3c220c9a23_o

But the kicker is the new framerate. I’ll admit to being at least a bit sceptical on hearing that Naughty Dog would target a smoother, more fluid 60 frames per second for The Last of Us Remastered. I wondered whether it would add a distracting layer of artificiality; that it might somehow interfere with the game’s cinematic look and feel.

“The Last of Us Remastered has a silky smooth feel that makes aiming and camera control feel more responsive and natural”

Thankfully, based on my hands-on experiences at a recent media event in New York City, those concerns feel entirely unwarranted. Played at the higher framerate, The Last of Us Remastered has a silky smooth feel that makes aiming and camera control feel more responsive and natural.

Conveniently, the PS4 version was shown side-by-side with the original PS3 game. Curious, I picked up the DualShock 3 and panned the camera around for a few seconds, before hastily switching right back to Remastered. It’s nice to see that Naughty Dog is giving players the choice to lock TLOUR to 30fps, but for me it’s 60fps or bust, no contest. I suspect this one will boil down to personal preference.

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

Then there are a slew of subtler visual details. Lighting quality has received a boost, with improved shadow detail. Joel and Ellie’s in-game character models also look more detailed, sporting higher resolution textures that allowed me to see the fabric weave in Joel’s filthy flannel shirt. The 1080p presentation also helped me spot subtle visual details I’d never noticed in the original PS3 version, like the way tiny streams of blood trickle down Joel’s arm when he’s injured, or how rats weave erratically through garbage-strewn ruins.

“The 1080p presentation also helped me spot subtle visual details I’d never noticed in the original PS3 version”

The gameplay remains unchanged, though the higher framerate does lend a feeling of increased responsiveness. The most notable difference is that the L2 and R2 triggers now control aiming and firing — and yep, you can switch back to the classic L1 and R1 controls if that floats your boat.

Though I didn’t get a chance to try out the multiplayer mode (a personal favourite), the campaign is looking mighty promising. The Last of Us Remastered will come complete with all previously released DLC, including the excellent story chapter Left Behind. And at £39.99, it’s a good bet for both new PS4 owners who missed out on one of the best games of the generation, and seasoned TLOU veterans eager for another dose of Joel and Ellie.

14666672442_dafda691e6_o

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

176 Comments 14 Author replies
Show oldest first
AlemanGC 16 July, 2014 @ 2:03 pm   1

I can tell you how it feels to buy the same game twice at almost full price:

HORRIBLE! I think the ps4 will fail huge if sony keeps up with this shady tactic. Already now ps2+ps3+ps4+vita sold less than ps2. People rather play elsewhere.

Where is custom mp3 soundtracks btw? They were always promised to us , sony used to say the ps3 just does not have the power/RAM to support it in all games…

All ps3 Last of Us owners should get a 10 upgrade, there really is no reason not to do this, other than if you enjoy slapping your customers in the face, which led to the position sony is in now financially.

I am sure its a great game still :)

AlemanGC 16 July, 2014 @ 2:07 pm

And @ poster

Sid ShumanSCEA, Social Media Manager

Should you not interact with your customers like the social media managers of other companies do? You do not really seem to manage anything but just spam us with the promotional posts. Thats not what social media was created for.

andrewsqual 16 July, 2014 @ 2:15 pm

Or do what Microsoft does and give NO comment section WHATSOEVER even after a year they set up the Xbox Wire website? That website is nothing but Spam central if we go by your bot logic.

Cripshay 16 July, 2014 @ 2:28 pm

Ey AlemanGC, my buddy….
    How about you sell your PS4, leave this board and play/buy a different console (or even a PC)?
    “Problem” solved for you and we don’t have to see crappy posts like this here.

Porcupeth00 16 July, 2014 @ 2:29 pm

a 10 upgrade? gtfo. the DLC alone costs more than that.

icecrasher_zero 16 July, 2014 @ 2:32 pm

Aleman, why are you trolling again? You think that noone knows that is fake account? I’m sick of your comments. Go back to USA. Wait… you’re not from USA too.

medenko1975 16 July, 2014 @ 4:24 pm

what about TOMB RAIDER for PS3 and PS4? what about FIFA 13 and many many other similar situations?

kid_Jump94 16 July, 2014 @ 5:09 pm

when the last of us came to ps3 it was £39.99 i believe. now a days games are £45.00 to £50.00. the last of us on ps4 is ranging from £34.98 ( zavvi – sold out ) to £38.00 ( amazon ). now i want you to go back a year and see when naughty dog finished the last of us and said they started work right after. i want you to go today and read about them going gold. read about how getting a single image on ps4 was, how hard some of those days were. now i want you to look at the game itself, i want you to see how much is done. now please tell me that all that work is worth much less, much less than when it launched on ps3. that its not worth it for the people who never played it, for the people who got it to sell it out on zavvi or to third on amazon, then… thats very ignorant :/ im sorry

like really whats with some of these other things your saying.. sigh :/

Riseer23 16 July, 2014 @ 5:24 pm

Sorry but $50 is a fair enough deal,also i am quite sure Sony wanted to release this for those now to the Playstation family.If you already own the game then you have no real reason to buy it unless you want to play a prettier game.You come off a bit bitter,i rented it for the weekend and blew through it in a few days.I want to play it at my own pace and take my time.I can buy a Ps3 version for $30 or i can spend $50 and get a more playable version with all the DLC included.

Ma1nframe 16 July, 2014 @ 5:28 pm

Dude, do the SMART THING, and SELL your PS3 version of the game and use that toward the PS4 version. I sold mine to a friend who had never played it for $25.00. I’ll put that $25.00 towards the PS4 version. Also, if you don’t want to buy the game, then don’t frickin buy it!!!

Quinlank 16 July, 2014 @ 6:51 pm

“ps2+ps3+ps4+vita sold less than ps2″. So PS2 + all following consoles combined sold less than PS2 by itself? Cool mathematics, bro.

BTW, if PS4 is gonna ‘fail huge’, it’d best start doing so soon, before it outsells the combined sales of it’s two competitiors by any wider a margin :D

Zepekit 16 July, 2014 @ 9:14 pm

You don’t have to buy the game twice. Nobody is forcing you to buy the game again. Why is it that most “gamers” on the internet are so moronic that they can’t understand that simple fact?
    And whoever is releasing a game decides what it should cost… you however get to decide if you want to buy said game once, twice or how many times over.

And btw. when did they promise mp3 playback? and WHY IS IT THAT IMPORTANT? use you phone!
    guys, this entitlement is getting out of hand.

rafaelmendes23 16 July, 2014 @ 9:31 pm

I feel like I was betrayed by sony. They are only thinking on those who haven’t had a PS3 on the last gen. We, who supported them all the time are beeing forgot. The only thing that matters to them are the players that migrated from xbox 360 to PS4.
    I bought Joel edition at full price, then I bought the Left behind DLC… All was at least 80€. And what happens now? People who never supported the game and playstation before, are getting the game at 50€ with improved graphics and gameplay.

Maybe it is better if I migrate to xbox one, maybe they will give me more attention if they do the same as sony is doing.

rafaelmendes23 16 July, 2014 @ 9:40 pm

*continues*
    Should I continue to support PlayStation, or should I got to xbox and then back when PS5 is out?

OH, I I think I am wrong with PS4 price of this game… is it 40€? Lol

TheAngryKhan 17 July, 2014 @ 2:07 am

More than 50% PS4 owners didn’t have PS3. Even though I had a PS3, I didn’t play The Last Of Us so there are a lot of people who didn’t play this game and want to play it because it is a Masterpiece.
    BTW Xbox one is also remastering the Halo (Halo 1,2,3 and 4)

DoucheVader 17 July, 2014 @ 4:14 am

@AlemanGC

I think you are being a tad dramatic. No one held a gun to your head to buy the game. The fact is Naughty Dog put quite a bit of work into the title to bring it to PS4. Also $50 is a steal for the game with all the DLC, especially if you never played it which is who the game is really targeted to. If you don’t want to pay $50, wait for a sale on the game which will likely happen soon after the initial release demand is met.

Gamers need to stop being so demanding about what they want from a game, developer and/or publisher. You can speak with your wallet and not buy a game or not buy the follow-up, etc. Continual whining isn’t productive and if you harbor this much negativity just don’t buy the game.

I love Naughty Dog and I don’t mind supporting them, there are few studios that put out such quality so consistently.

Vashetti 17 July, 2014 @ 10:43 am

I see “gtatrockt” is back under a new alias.

mikeattic 17 July, 2014 @ 2:24 pm

I really don’t get why people were able to upgrade games at launch for 10 bucks and now, with this “port”, which has a better resolution, better shadows and a few minor graphical upgrades, there is not even a tiny bit of discount for previous owners, unbelievable.

I’ve beaten The Last Of Us more than 5 times on PS3 and would even go as far as to claim that this is the best game I’ve ever played. But the way they treat previous owners that have invested in their new console generation is not fair, in my opinion. I will pass on a direct purchase and get it used, because I don’t want to give Sony my money with this kind of attitude. There are obviously enough first timer to this franchise who will sell it a few weeks later on the bay anyways :)

BaSHee26 17 July, 2014 @ 10:55 pm

Lol, it’s not as if someone at song is holding a gun to your head at making you buy the game twice.

You have free will you know!

And by your last comment saying ‘I’m SURE it’s still a great game’ obviously implies you haven’t even played it before, so you won’t have paid for it twice and your just trolling!

I bought the game a week before the ps4 version was announced, I paid £25 for a new copy, am I annoyed? NO, because it’s a great game. I’ve preordered the ps4 version for £29.99.

So for both copies I would have paid £55 in total, I couldn’t have even bought the ps3 version day 1 and all the DLC for that price. It’s on,y your problem if you like paying full retail price for games.

Jimster-71 16 July, 2014 @ 2:03 pm   2

If it runs at 60fps, why is there an option to lock the frame rate at 30fps?

AlemanGC 16 July, 2014 @ 2:04 pm

Because some people do not enjoy games at 60 fps.

Henkmeister 16 July, 2014 @ 2:08 pm

Who doesn’t like 60 fps? What possible reason could there be?

Jimster-71 16 July, 2014 @ 2:14 pm

I don’t have a problem with games running at 30fps, but if isn’t running at a solid 60fps then don’t advertise it as such.

AlemanGC 16 July, 2014 @ 2:14 pm

I dont know but I read by quite a few people that the “60fps” in Tomb Raider felt “weird” or “unusual” to them.

Most likely because the game is not consistently running at 60fps but wildly fluctuating between 30 and 60… like Infamous & Killzone

benzopil 16 July, 2014 @ 2:17 pm

I hate playing games like this in 60 fps. Thanks God I can lock the frame rate.

STIGEVEN 16 July, 2014 @ 2:19 pm

Wrong Aleman. The 30fps option is for those who doesn’t like frame-drops ;) I like console gaming over PC, but the PS4 is waay too weak to be a “next gen” console. All because Sony wants to sell it cheap. I almost got sick when I read “I was a bit concerned about the 60fps, because it might not look as cinematic”. Thats just BS to defend Sony’s upcoming 30fps PS4 title “The order 1886″… Saying 24/29,997 frames is more cinematic because movies are displayed in those frame rates is just messed up, because movies run in 24 fps as it’s an old standard in the movie industry because film reel is expensive, and movie editing is done at a frame-by-frame pace, andthis isn’t changing because movies don’t need to be smooth, because it’s not interactiveentertainment -_-

Sid Shuman 16 July, 2014 @ 5:29 pm

Sorry, I really should be better about replying on the EU Blog! ^_^ The 30 fps lock is due to fan request. Some folks like the more “cinematic” look of the lower frame rate, which is fair. Personally, I’m all about the higher framerate. It makes a biiiig difference.

Riseer23 16 July, 2014 @ 5:34 pm

Ehh Steven,you don’t quite understand game development.First off only Infamous SS uses compute but only for small tasks.TLOU was built on exotic hardware ”CELL”.The code would need to be completely rewritten to get massive gains.I agree the Ps4 could had been a tad bit more powerful something like 22 CU’s would had pushed it over the 2TF count.It’s a great console that will push out some amazing looking games regardless.

AlemanGC 16 July, 2014 @ 6:03 pm

Welcome to the EU Blog :)

Quinlank 16 July, 2014 @ 6:55 pm

If you’ve only ever played 60fps games on consoles, then trust me, you have never actually played a game locked at a constant 60fps. The PS4 version of Last of Us likely won’t buck this trend either.

Also, the game was initially built from the ground up for 30fps and this is pretty much that same game at it’s core, so there’s no reason not to include at least an option for it if they can.

STIGEVEN 16 July, 2014 @ 10:15 pm

Riseen, I don’t know who you were talking to but I’m assuming you mean me because my name looks like “steven”. Why wouldn’t I understand game development? What incorrect statement did I ever post regarding development? :) My comment was purely opinion and movie history. I do think there should have been a PS4H (hardcore) for those more interested with more money to spend for this gen ;)

STIGEVEN 16 July, 2014 @ 10:27 pm

And to you Sid, I read my own comment again, and I don’t want to come across as “agressive”! My comment could have been formulated a bit more.. Gentle :)

DoucheVader 17 July, 2014 @ 4:16 am

@Jimster-71 @Henkmeister

Devs have stated it runs 60 fps solid some people who played the original felt the 60 fps took away from the cinematic look.

misi2mezei 17 July, 2014 @ 1:33 pm

@Quinlank Have you ever played with Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes on PS4? It’s native 1080p and constant 60 fps.
    So your statement is wrong.

DoYouLikeMyID 20 July, 2014 @ 10:01 am

@Quinlank

Pretty much all fighting games run at 60 FPS even on PS3 or Vita. Street Fighter IV, Mortal Kombat 9, Injustice: Gods Among Us and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 all run at a constant 60 FPS on consoles. Hell, even the 3DS runs Street Fighter IV at 60 FPS (when 3D is turned off).

There are a bunch of games that run at 60 FPS on consoles, so your statement is false.

wardenxx 16 July, 2014 @ 2:05 pm   3

would be good if progress carried over…

Henkmeister 16 July, 2014 @ 2:07 pm   4

Who doesn’t like 60 fps? What possible reason could there be?

Sid Shuman 16 July, 2014 @ 5:30 pm

I feel the same way :) But Ryan Clements on the US Blog saw it running and mentioned that he’d rather play at 30, as he feels it retains a more cinematic look. I think he’s crazy, but to each their own!

Kiss7787 17 July, 2014 @ 8:36 am

Wouldn’t the 30 fps be useful for vita remote play? doubt it would run on 60

Basket21 16 July, 2014 @ 2:09 pm   5

Hey …

i really liked Last of Us on the ps3 and played it though twice. Also got the seasonpass for it.

Is there any news yet about whether or not people who have the ps3/seasonpass will get a discount on the ps4 version?
Naughty Dog was looking into this they said before but we didnt hear anything about it since then.

Greets

AlemanGC 16 July, 2014 @ 2:19 pm

I checked the other posts by this sony guy he made to the eu blog. He never once replied to a comment so you will get no answer from him because he does not care :(

Since the DLC is already included on ps4 i am not sure how you are supposed to get a discount for the season pass.

Fred Dutton 16 July, 2014 @ 2:22 pm

@Basket21 Alas, there is no upgrade discount

Basket21 16 July, 2014 @ 2:33 pm

Thanks for reply Fred.

Ill wait with buyin it then till it drops in price and enjoy the ps3 version one more time.

Boooo to that! I’ll probably get it again but not at full price.

mikeattic 17 July, 2014 @ 2:33 pm

Don’t worry, with this kind of attitude, sales figures will not turn out too good. They will regret having made that decision and offer it eventually for less via PS Plus.
    I recommend to people who share the same sentiment as I do to get this game used, that way, Sony will not see a single dime from your purchase.

For everyone that has played the game on PS3 and bought the DLC, the fact that there is no option to upgrade to PS4 for less than the retail price is shortsighted imho.
Still, if you own a PS4 and haver never played it then it’s worth the money.

I’m glad there’s a 30fps option. 60fps aids shooting but robs the game of its atmosphere and tension. Tomb Raider on PS4 was proof of that. In a game like TLOU, that atmosphere is crucial.

But if an option to lock to 30fps is that easy to implement then what I’d really like is an option to lock to 24fps, like films. It could be really cool, and if not you wouldn’t have to use it anyway. You could even get the classic Ocarina of Time effect, which I loved as a kid. There’s a reason that game was so atmospheric and well-loved, after all.

Looking forward to 1080p glory either way though. It’s a magnificent game.

Gav220886 16 July, 2014 @ 5:05 pm

what. the. hell…

Sid Shuman 16 July, 2014 @ 5:31 pm

I would encourage you to try it at the higher frame rate before you decide. It’s *really* nice. I wasn’t sure I’d like it either, and now I’m like “man, how did I manage this on PS3?”

Mercurykiller_NL 16 July, 2014 @ 2:11 pm   8

What about the gore in the multiplayer? The PS3 version for Europe was less violent because of some countries such as Germany, but what about the PS4 version? Details please.

Fred Dutton 16 July, 2014 @ 3:07 pm

MP is the same as in the EU PS3 version – there have been no changes in this respect.

Jarskaaja 16 July, 2014 @ 3:24 pm

Thanks for the confirmation. Not buying.

zalwelgoedgaan 16 July, 2014 @ 3:29 pm

It’s only Germany that’s uptight about the violence. Sony could make a separate, toned down version for them like all of the other companies with strong violence, but they are too lazy/greedy for that and decide to shaft the entire region. Sony’s the only publisher who does this nonsense.

#4theplayers

supersmith2500 16 July, 2014 @ 5:23 pm

Actually, it’s still censored from it’s EU/UK PS3 version. I know it’s dissapointing but bad business decisions like this needs to stop. TLOU is already an 18 rated game so there is no reason to censor the multiplayer at all.

If you look at Wolfenstein: The New Order. The references were censored in Germany but the blood and gore isn’t. No idea why would SCEE decide to do this.

FuzzyFuzee 16 July, 2014 @ 6:16 pm

Why not release a DLC with the extra gore for us outside Germany?

Ramases_Niblick 17 July, 2014 @ 8:17 am

What exactly was censored in the PS3 version?

KaneTheGoth 17 July, 2014 @ 10:43 am

Agreed, I avoided the PS3 version due to the censorship and won’t touch this one either.

Why not look at implementing FuzzyFuzee’s great idea of a DLC pack to put back the bits Germany didn’t want people seeing? If you feel that it really is absolutely essential to censor an entire continents release to appease one country then at least give the other regions a way of getting back the edits.

Lt_Combo 17 July, 2014 @ 2:01 pm

ARE YOU SERIOUS?! I was looking forward to this game, but I won’t buy JUST OUT OF PRINCIPLE. There is NO need or reason to censor it anywhere else than in Germany!! I won’t ever support this disgusting practice, I don’t care how good the game is. The MP is supposed to be amazing and I’m NOT going to buy a watered down version. I won’t even import out of principle. This is really disgusting, give us a gore update!! I will spread this info to all my friends!

And this was honestly the only thing I wanted to know and was worried about .. but I had high hoped did not expect censorship in the Netherlands.

FrIeD-GoAt 17 July, 2014 @ 5:13 pm

WOW. Sony and Naughty Dog making stupid decisions again.
    No Buy, well, not the EU version anyway, not sure I can resist, even with your stupid blanket censorship and corner cutting policies.
    Why not take a leaf out of Microsofts book and make A SEPARATE COPY FOR GERMANY you lazy people, you used to do it, why have you changed?

CShasuki 16 July, 2014 @ 2:12 pm   9

I assume PS3 owners can get an upgrade for this as owning PS3 version and main DLC and having to pay full price again is a bit mad. Obviously the conversion cost money but looking at the screens , my willingness to pay full whack for it is non existent. €20 I would be happy.

Also what is this option to lock to 30fps? The PS4 cannot handle a constant 60FPS???

Fred Dutton 16 July, 2014 @ 2:25 pm

As above, there’s no upgrade discount I’m afraid.

Re. 30fps. See Sid’s post – it’s optional. Some prefer to play in 30fps others at 60fps – you can do either.

CShasuki 16 July, 2014 @ 2:32 pm

Ah just an extra option then, thank God. Cheers.

pabs010 16 July, 2014 @ 2:12 pm   10

This is all well and good, I can’t lie this game looks more amazing than the sublime original release did, but what is the point of releasing it at full retail price. It puts me off purchasing ‘AAA’ titles when reboots are at full price, whereas I enjoy the Guacamelee upgrade for £3, thanks to PS+.

A good example is the Tomb Raider upgrade, a reduced price re-release which allowed fans/owners to enjoy the upgraded experience whilst allowing the developers the chance to showcase their upgraded capabilities, whereas for the price being asked I will most likely never purchase this and instead buy a completely new game to experience.

Inspector74 19 July, 2014 @ 12:28 pm

Money Money Money!!! my friend thats why its pretty much full price, a re release of a game thats barely 2 years old is just utterly pointless, I will be giving this and everything else (unless we get a very long overdue HD re release of the Ape Escape trilogy) a very wide birth. I mean we all know there is a very sparse release schedule ahead for Sony for the next 12 months or so but dont think im buying in to any of this rip off crap Sony were much cleverer than that I mean you already bumped me on PSplus so no more, ta very much

Stonesthrow 16 July, 2014 @ 2:13 pm   11

It still looks good, obviously, but I prefer the original. Somehow you can just tell it’s a remastered version, not that it’s a fail in that aspect, but you can just tell.. It looks a little smoother but I honestly don’t think it looks that much better graphically, another testament of how amazing this game looked already on ps3. I’ll give it a go when it’s way cheaper.

Sid Shuman 16 July, 2014 @ 5:34 pm

The PS3 game is definitely a looker, but seeing both games side by side is an eye opener. The event I was at had the PS3 and PS4 versions next to each other, and the differences are extensive.

Ramases_Niblick 17 July, 2014 @ 8:17 am

I think that in a video on a website it may be harder to tell the difference but once you get it up and running on your own TV you’ll see it.

“And at £39.99, it’s a good bet for both new PS4 owners who missed out on one of the best games of the generation, and seasoned TLOU veterans eager for another dose of Joel and Ellie.”

- So, I take it this means there’ll be no upgrade path for those of us who purchased the PS3 version digitally? Naughty Dog did say they were discussing this in a previous blog post…

fredbe1981 16 July, 2014 @ 2:17 pm   13

Dear Sony,
I enjoyed the game that I bought on PS3. I would love to enjoy the remastered version as well, but I cannot accept to pay again a full priced game for a title that I already own.

Would there be no way to get a discount ? Same would goes for GTA V btw.

Porcupeth00 16 July, 2014 @ 2:22 pm

it’s not full priced

THUNDERCAT1973 16 July, 2014 @ 2:22 pm

they really should give a discount for those who own the ps3 with gta thats up to rockstar and no chance of that

AstroCyborg 16 July, 2014 @ 5:52 pm

why are people so cheap these days a great game is a great game price shouldn’t matter

Porcupeth00 16 July, 2014 @ 2:23 pm   14

I want confirmation that without locking at 30, the 60fps are constant/without drops.

Sid Shuman 16 July, 2014 @ 5:35 pm

Tough to verify that there’s never a place in the game where it wouldn’t drop to 59 fps or the like, but what I played was super smooth. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

solarwind12 16 July, 2014 @ 2:24 pm   15

ND ‘said they were discussing it’ wonder if they actually decided on which biscuits to have with their coffee as well as ‘discussing’ this upgrade, never happen, and tbh now i hear they actually went down the road of posting ‘we’re discussing it’, i lost much respect for em, should of dodged it, as per, or just said No from outset, hate bieng taken for idiot by any publisher/dev, or their pr guys. anyway i see no reason for this, maybe a few months ago, but defo not now, best wishes though.

zalwelgoedgaan 16 July, 2014 @ 2:41 pm

After the Uncharted 3 Season Pass backlash (with lacking and mediocre content), Naughty Dog said they wouldn’t include a Season Pass in their next game. The Last of Us still ended up getting a Season Pass.

You shouldn’t take their word for anything, really.

JuDD3rd 16 July, 2014 @ 2:25 pm   16

It really is a shame that this isa retailing at £39.99 for everybody.
Surely PS3 season-pass owners should get some kind of discount? I’d even be quite happy with a £10 PSN voucher/credit.

mikeattic 17 July, 2014 @ 2:37 pm

this is the worst customer loyalty I’ve seen in a long time lol

supersmith2500 16 July, 2014 @ 2:33 pm   17

If the HD remaster has multiplayer again, is it going to get censored again? Please say no. :|

Ah yeah I’d like to know this too, I think it is censored again though…

Personally, from seeing the US version of multiplayer, I thought the gore seemed too unrealistic at times and unneccessary and the game still gave me a sense of brutality in the UK version.

However, I would prefer to play the game as the developers intended it, and the gore in TLOU isnt something I havent seen in games before either… Gears of war is pretty similar in terms of gore really.

If they can add it for UK, would be cool if can turn it on and off, I kinda like both really, ha ha.

The fact that they’re refusing to answer this question continually seems to indicate that it will still be the case.

While the gore was a little over the top in the US version, I really don’t get the censoring for the whole region. If Germany want a kiddie version, fine, but don’t push it down the throat of other countries. The game is PEGI-18, there’s absolutely no valid reason to censor it.

AlemanGC 16 July, 2014 @ 3:36 pm

I can confirm the multiplayer is slightly censored in all of europe it does not break the (suprisingly) good multiplayer experience at all.

Sid Shuman 16 July, 2014 @ 5:35 pm

Fred mentioned above that the multiplayer is the same as it was in the original EU version.

Lt_Combo 18 July, 2014 @ 2:51 pm

It’s censored .. and because of that, it’s a no buy for me .. just out of principle .. or we will soon have every single game censored in EU. Can you imagine if they censor Bloodborn? Let it die etc? This is an 18+ game, censorship is DISGUSTING, collective punishment for German laws is even worse !! Canceled my preorder yesterday .. I had it preordered for MONTHS now .. so thanks sony, I have zero games for the summer vacation on my PS4 .. You guys could AT LEAST give us a gore patch outside Germany.

Roxas598 16 July, 2014 @ 2:35 pm   18

How is there not gonna be an upgrade choice for people who bought the digital edition on PS3? That’s insane :/

Well, not gonna flip out like others have here, ha ha, but disappointing there isnt going to be a discount for PS3 owners, and more so it took this long to get an answer (Though it was unlikely at this point), as others said, just having a £10 discount for having the season pass would be more than welcome. Getting from Gamestop UK or £9.99 from trading in Lego Marvel Heroes, so happy with that at least.

I hear we get some in game bonuses for having the PS3 TLOU on our account, so better than nothing.

Hoping to see some gameplay footage soon. Hopefully in 1080p/60fps…

Smash_41 16 July, 2014 @ 2:40 pm   20

I see Sony Europe are shafting us again on digital prices.
The US price for this translates to £29.19 with today’s exchange rate.
Getting a bit sick of it to be honest.

I bet it feels gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood :D + I didn’t find anything wrong with the PS3 version in the 1st place ;) Seemed to run like a dream.

alphastreamz 16 July, 2014 @ 2:42 pm   22

next big news will be: early access games now available on ps4. Buy access to a game with bugs and promised features! Bcuz, Sony <3 Indy

pinkplaybunny 16 July, 2014 @ 2:42 pm   23

I’m not sure you can call a game that only came out a year ago a ‘classic’…. I found this game totally over hyped and was disappointed with how repetitive the combat was :-(

demonsgalore 16 July, 2014 @ 2:43 pm   24

Can’t wait to get my hands on it. It is absolutely worth the money and I hope you give us a lot more remastered games. So much flamers not able to estimate…

TheBusterMan 20 July, 2014 @ 9:08 pm

No,we need new games.I loved TLOU,but after completing it twice,don’t think I could play it again so soon.Also,the PS3 version looked great,and the PS4 is still in it’s infancy,so it’ll be a shiny,slightly smoother polished job.What really annoys me,though,is the fact that folk like me who bought it digitally are not entitled to a bit of a discount if we did decide to upgrade.You support Sony/Naughty Dog,and this is the thanks you get.Let’s hope the new Dragons Age is good,as there aint much at all out this year.I’ve been playing my PS3 a lot more than my PS4.

THE_FORCE 16 July, 2014 @ 2:44 pm   25

The game is undoubtedly one of the finest pieces of art ever created, but I still find it difficult to justify a repurchase and replay for slightly upgraded visuals.

Lyonjak 16 July, 2014 @ 2:48 pm   26

You know, there are a lot of whingers that post to this blog. £39.99 is already £10-£15 cheaper than a standard PS4 release and it includes everything previously available as DLC. If such a thing existed would the Nintendo blog be full of people claiming a discount on Wind Waker WiiU because they owned it on the Gamecube? Or the non-existent Microsoft blog moaning that they already own Halo 1 on Xbox so should get money off the Xbox One version? It’s a remastered version of a older game released at a lower than normal price, if you don’t want it don’t buy it.

TheBusterMan 20 July, 2014 @ 9:11 pm

If you’re spending £50-£55 on PS4 games,You’re shopping in some expensive places!

WearingFin 16 July, 2014 @ 2:51 pm   27

At today’s exchange rate, which has seen months of the dollar weakening as a result of US economic issues which has nothing to do with Sony. So now it’s about £1:$1.7, at Christmas it was £1:$1.5 which is a good base for the previous few years. $50 to £ at £1:$1.5 PLUS VAT at twenty percent equals… I do believe it’s £40. Yep… Sony’s fault, hurry up and taper the Fed’s quantitative easing already, like Smash_41 I find it appalling that currencies can fluctuate.

WearingFin 16 July, 2014 @ 3:07 pm

Great… comment didn’t go in as a reply. If anyone’s confused, this was supposed to be a reply to comment 20.

Smash_41 16 July, 2014 @ 3:13 pm

Whichever way you explain it, the average consumer see the US store getting it £10 cheaper. Add all those up on every game you buy and it soon becomes a nice little saving. On a digital item that has no wait for delivery it’s no wonder so many create US accounts.

WearingFin 16 July, 2014 @ 3:22 pm

And then you wait a year, the Fed will stop pumping money into the system and jobs will begin to rise, the economy will begin to rise and the dollar will begin to rise as a result then that £10 gets smaller and smaller. Who knows? It was below 1.5 just last year so we might even get a benefit, there could even be another financial disaster and you can have all the cheap games you want due to pound sterling plummeting. That’s macroeconomics for you. I really don’t see how you can be mad at SCEE, a subsidiary of a Japanese corporation, not adjusting their prices due to US economic issues which would be detrimental to the Group’s revenue. The average consumer might gasp at a lost £10, but the average consumer could see the positives, such as a cheap holiday to the States. For the time being at least.

Smash_41 16 July, 2014 @ 3:44 pm

You’re thinking about this way too much and I can’t be bothered to argue. Either way i’ve pre-ordered the physical disc for £29.99.

WearingFin 16 July, 2014 @ 4:00 pm

Dollar is getting weaker and you excluded sales tax. There’s your ten pounds. Not a question of over thinking things but you mentioned the US account, which is quite easy to set up i hear, and might allay your problems instead of moaning.

Smash_41 16 July, 2014 @ 4:41 pm

I am not moaning at all merely pointing out we in the UK are getting short changed. Another example, Destiny Guardian can be had for $90 which is roughly £53. Would you like to guess what we are expected to pay? I’ll give you a hint, the conversion is close to 1:1

T-Dot-M-Dot 16 July, 2014 @ 2:58 pm   28

I know i probs wont get a reply and i havent done this before but can anybody tell me if the EU VERSION is still censored????

JuDD3rd 16 July, 2014 @ 3:04 pm   29

I’m guessing that since nothing has been heard, the EU version will still be censored.
I’ve got to admit that I’m totally OK with that, played the PS3 Multiplayer (badly) in total ignorance and was very happy.
When I saw the US version I thought the limb/head removal was a bit unnecessary and over the top?

TitManSoldier 16 July, 2014 @ 3:11 pm   30

Listen. Firstly Infamous : SS AND Killzone : SF had this option and I never had any issues and it never even went below 30. It was either above 30-40 and I turned it on and went straight back because I was so used it being so fluid and smooth

TitManSoldier 16 July, 2014 @ 3:15 pm   31

And also. Judging from a company with an extremely good track record you really think they are not going to give us a good game? Cool.. Make you judgements

monoliet 16 July, 2014 @ 3:29 pm   32

i cansel some games en the last of us i preorderd
good price to older game ( never played on ps3 )

to diablo3 +gta remake = no whith ful price ( already have on ps3 )

It’s a slap in the face of the people who stood behind Naughty Dog and ordered this game day one and don’t get an upgrade choice. Sure take your loyal customers for granted. I’m really disappoint as many third party companies showed how successful an upgrade could be. I’m really sad and thought Sony held it’s loyal customers to a higher degree.

nik666uk 16 July, 2014 @ 4:37 pm   34

It’d be nice to be able to see it BEFORE it releases!

Sasukekun 16 July, 2014 @ 4:37 pm   35

Save files not transferring over I could look past, but not giving those of us who bought the original digitally a special upgrade price is unforgivable in my book.
I was looking forward to having this again, especially as I haven’t played the Left Behind DLC, but with this ridiculous pricing you can’t count on my money for this any time soon.

geddesmond2 16 July, 2014 @ 4:43 pm   36

I pre ordered this the other day on PSN. Purely an OCD issue cause I didn’t think it true. You can cancel PSN pre orders right? I just can’t justify to myself rebuying a game that doesn’t look much better than the PS3 version from compressed videos I’ve seen and at 45 euros. I ain’t dissing the game. I think it’s great ND did this and at 60FPS yay. But it’s not enough to waste my much needed money on.

I’ll way til next year when the price drops 50% and spend my money on the metro remastered collection.

2 games remastered for 35 euros. Now thats how it should be.

diablo103 16 July, 2014 @ 5:04 pm   37

I really like the new PlayStation Blog design, granted its a lot to take in/get used too initially. Keep up the good work!

Censored again!?

No buy for me.

Earlofdenby 16 July, 2014 @ 5:18 pm   39

I adore this game and really can’t understand why everyone is moaning about the price. Here’s a tip wait 6 months and get it half price!

Earlofdenby 16 July, 2014 @ 5:22 pm   40

Amazon uk is selling it for £38

TokyoMek 16 July, 2014 @ 5:51 pm   41

Hmmm, I have pre-ordered this but I’m still skeptical about the remastered graphics.

It’s not much of a jump from the PS3 version TBH. Also the bump seems to have given it a strange illustrated look.

Am I the only one seeing this?

geddesmond2 16 July, 2014 @ 6:21 pm

Honestly man the only thing I have noticed about the graphics is the field of view is less blurry and character models are slightly smoother. I didn’t know if it was the PS3 version of the game or the PS4 version when watching the new trailer. Definitely not as much of a graphical leap as in say Tomb raider PS3 vs PS4

TKC-Muzzer 16 July, 2014 @ 10:06 pm

Like most remasters, only when you get it on your TV will you probably only really notice the difference, oh and when you see it moving.

twinspectre 16 July, 2014 @ 6:01 pm   42

FACEPALM for all the Fanboys
modern gaming is all about Visual ? 1080p? and 60FPS ?
well , im the only one who want a Better gameplay ?
i miss the old good challenging games :(
(no Handholding , no Dumbed Down gameplay , no Linear Games , no Cinematic Experience, no Waypoints, no Regenhealth , challenge game, no Focus/Listen mode)
all of you are happy about the mighty graphics , gaming has Lost the real Meaning

Harrisown 16 July, 2014 @ 7:52 pm

I thought that before dark souls came out. It’ll be another year or two but I think your going to see a real return to form in terms of challenge and exploration in games . It’s so refreshing when games are so well designed they don’t need waypoints or hours or tutorials to tell you everything and your left to discover for yourself .

twinspectre 16 July, 2014 @ 11:09 pm

@harrisown i enjoyed Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls :) , and im tired with all the modern gaming crap it seems everybody forget what is Gaming

Ramases_Niblick 17 July, 2014 @ 8:12 am

If you put the skill level up to the top in TLOU the Focus/Listen mode is gone and makes the game much harder. Also the majority of games have always been linear right from the beginning. Whatever game you play, you start at A and whatever you do you end up at B eventually. For me as long as I enjoy the journey a game can be as easy or hard as it likes.

Nobody has forgot what gaming is. Gaming is about enjoying yourself, whether it is a simple platformer or the hair tearing frustration that is Dark Souls.

twinspectre 16 July, 2014 @ 6:04 pm   43

this blog is full of brainwashing message by Sony’s community manager
what the f is wrong with modern gaming ?
this is pure Brainwashing weak people and pure PR BS

Sid Shuman 17 July, 2014 @ 2:25 am

How so?

Ramases_Niblick 17 July, 2014 @ 8:04 am

LOL I think you should answer Sid if you can….. Also are you a crazy person?

Porcupeth00 17 July, 2014 @ 11:12 am

nevermind twinspectre. he’s also on gamefaqs and all he ever likes to talk is hardcore, dumbed down games, modern gaming sucks, etc etc. it’s like a parrot.

Pauliely 16 July, 2014 @ 6:05 pm   44

I will buy this on the first day! The Last of Us is one of the best games in previous generation. Remastered edition will be amazing on PlayStation 4. 60 fps will be worth it! The Last of Us Online is awesome and single-player.

medenko1975 16 July, 2014 @ 6:19 pm   45

why don’t you show some real comparision video…….from the gameplay.

AstroCyborg 16 July, 2014 @ 6:51 pm   46

can’t wait got it pre ordered yesterday on psn. is there any word when it’ll be released for download timewise?

Quinlank 16 July, 2014 @ 6:58 pm   47

Sorry, won’t be buying the game until there is an uncensored version of it available in the UK. Absolutely no reason for the multiplayer to be so heavily censored.

dark_angel69 16 July, 2014 @ 6:59 pm   48

That’s a shame I can’t upgrade my PS3 version. Will give the PS4 version a miss until it’s very cheap. Won’t pay full price for a game I already own. Perhaps trade in my copy and get it even cheaper.

AlemanGC 17 July, 2014 @ 7:56 am

I have the PSN version so i how i trade that in for ps4 version?

dark_angel69 17 July, 2014 @ 10:41 am

You can’t. That’s why buying physical is better. Cheaper, saves HDD space and can trade in when no longer want it.

rapaddict21 25 July, 2014 @ 2:54 pm

“Cheaper”. Yeah, that tricky tax you always pay for a physical copy no longer exists apparently. And it saves no hard drive space. Unless taking up 20+ gig on your hard drive is suddenly a small amount.

People that refuse to accept digital is the future are so amusing.

ThreeWallzz 16 July, 2014 @ 7:11 pm   49