Posted 8 August

Colourful 3D platformer The Last Tinker: City of Colours coming soon to PS4

Parkour-influenced adventure from a talented German studio

At LOOT, we like to buck trends, swim upstream, and wear our sunglasses at night. Which is why this game announcement does not introduce unshaven gravel-voiced anti-heroes, a vague plot involving paramilitary forces, a production budget roughly akin to the GDP of a small European nation, and a color scheme comprised of only blacks, whites, grays and reds.

Instead, we’re introducing you to a whimsical, colorful platformer. Made by Germans.

Tinker1

This, of course, is unprecedented. Picture the phrase, “German platformer game” in your head. You saw something roughly akin to Wolfenstein mashed up with Rammstein, didn’t you: slightly severe time trials, obscure rules, and somebody shouting at you.

Instead, you get Tinkerworld: lots of colours, friendly characters, and – whisper it – fun.

We play lots of games. You play lots of games. So when we played Mimimi Productions’ The Last Tinker for the first time, we knew we had to bring it to PlayStation consoles first, because THANK GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY, IT’S SOMETHING FRESH AND DIFFERENT.

tinker4
tinker3
To be fair, PlayStation rocks because they’ve openly embraced indie developers – and that’s not just PR speak, that’s real. This is awesome, because it means that hidden gems like The Last Tinker suddenly get to bask in the console-exclusive glow as part of the PlayStation family. And the game’s hero, Koru, knows how to bask. Look at the sideburns, man. And the scarf.

The catch, of course, is that because so many fantastic indie games are being showcased, you really do have to have something especially cool in order to stand out. So, in no particular order, here’s why you should check out Tinker:

• So the trailer you just watched talks about bringing harmony back to the fractured districts of Colortown, right? But there’s this whole other story involving a malevolent force called The Bleakness, and it’s taking over the world, and SPOILERS—
  • There are some really cool puzzles in this game. At one point, you even have to conduct a symphony…
  • The fighting mechanics kick ass; as you gain the power to wield each of the different colors against increasingly tough opponents, you have to learn when to finesse your way forward rather than trying to button-mash to victory.
  • This game has parkour, yo.
  • Quick: name another PS4 3D platformer.

tinker6

Sometimes a game surprises you. Like grabbing a bag of Cool Ranch chips at the store only to get home and find out it’s Spicy Nacho and then finding out you actually really like Spicy Nacho, The Last Tinker starts off as Cool Ranch and turns into Spicy Nacho with Sriracha. Gobs and gobs of Sriracha. Trust us on this. We went deep there for a reason.

Starting on 19th August, discover Tinkerworld on the PS4 for yourself. Have any questions about the game? Shoot us a comment below. See you in Colortown!

Follow LOOT on Twitter (do eeet): @lootent
Follow LOOT on Facebook (do eeet NAOW): https://www.facebook.com/LOOTEntertainment
Find out about the happy Germans who made the game (schnell!): http://www.mimimi-productions.de/team/
Find out about us LOOTers: https://www.youtube.com/user/LOOTEntertainment

tinker2

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

24 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first

I like it, I don’t think we have enough plat formers atm and it’s good for the family to play.

Jason Sorensen 8 August, 2014 @ 9:58 pm

Totally agreed, sercsd. That’s one of the big reasons we originally contacted Mimimi Productions about bringing this game to PlayStation: not only does it *feel* like a console game, but thanks to PlayStation’s embrace of indies, we really do think The Last Tinker is going to touch off the indie-developed rebirth of platform games.

This game looks like it should be an absolute joy to play, will look to purchase this upon its release.
I have a couple of questions;
Is it a linear game, or is there a level of open-world about it?
Any indications on the release price?
Thanks

HomessaHomem 8 August, 2014 @ 3:51 pm   3

I WANT THIS IN MY VITA!

Pug-zilla 8 August, 2014 @ 3:58 pm   4

Excellent I have been wanting this for months now but was holding off on the P.C version in the hope of a PS4 release. Plus this is gunna look awesome in remote play. Colourful 3.D platformers for the win!!!

Jason Sorensen 8 August, 2014 @ 10:06 pm

Heck yeah! We’ve even added a couple of subtle PS4-specific features to the game — nothing crazy, but if you play some of the more frenetic combat scenes in a dark room, you’ll definitely notice. ;)

johnnycide 8 August, 2014 @ 4:45 pm   5

“Picture the phrase, “German platformer game” in your head. You saw something roughly akin to Wolfenstein mashed up with Rammstein, didn’t you”
No, I didn’t. I quite like German people, I tend not to stereotype them.

This looks like a pretty nice game though, not necessarily my type (I still quite like gravel voiced space folk) but very nice looking. Best of luck with it.

johnnycide 8 August, 2014 @ 4:46 pm

That said, a Platformer set during a Rammstein concert, soundtrackdd by Rammstein would be heffing brilliant!

Maulerr_NL 8 August, 2014 @ 4:46 pm   6

Yep. This will be a nice asset to my collection happy games :-)

Witcher70 8 August, 2014 @ 4:53 pm   7

On PS4 from 19th August ? I’m so in !!! I can’t wait :D

PIREDERAS 8 August, 2014 @ 4:57 pm   8

From what I see, I really like this game. Its art is so charming! Will you please show more at Gamescom?

And it’s coming on 19th August? Splendid.

DoYouLikeMyID 8 August, 2014 @ 5:05 pm   9

I really like the artstyle of this game! I’m getting some kind of weird LittleBigPlanet meets Kingdom Hearts meets Ratchet & Clank meets Jak and Daxter-vibe here. I’ll definitely be keeping my eyes on this. :D

Jason Sorensen 8 August, 2014 @ 10:21 pm

The cool thing is that every single person — everyone — who played Tinker at the E3 PlayStation pavilion came away from it with the *same* comment: that this game has exactly the right mix of throwback nostalgia and modern gameplay.

DoYouLikeMyID 9 August, 2014 @ 5:28 pm

@Jason Sorensen

It definitely seems to have just that. It looks great and FUN! I can’t wait to hear more about pricing/release date :)

dark_angel69 8 August, 2014 @ 5:14 pm   10

This looks really cool!! Will be keeping my eye on this too! :D

MaikelSteneker 8 August, 2014 @ 5:28 pm   11

“Quick: name another PS4 3D platformer.”
Knack. What do I win?

But this looks good! Of course, the gameplay is king in the end, but you seem to have a pretty chaming world that I wouldn’t mind exploring.

link1983 8 August, 2014 @ 6:59 pm

I was going to say the same. I loved Knack too. It wasn’t brilliant but it was fun. However. . . Platformer. . . Lego . . . All of them. . . LOL

DoYouLikeMyID 9 August, 2014 @ 5:31 pm

Also, Skylanders: Swap Force and (to an extent) Contrast.

WearingFin 8 August, 2014 @ 6:11 pm   12

If it’s the same price as on Steam, you’ve got yourself a sale.

Crazy_Vantage 8 August, 2014 @ 7:11 pm   13

This looks awesome. As long as the price is reasonable I can definitely see myself buying this when it’s released, though on second thoughts that’s the day after Diablo 3 comes out… so, maybe not on release-day, but I’ll probably pick this up when I have time :) It’s been too long since we got a good platformer on Playstation. I say ‘good’ because we did get Knack.

Huono_peleis 8 August, 2014 @ 8:18 pm   14

Would have made a brilliant PS2 launch title.

Jason Sorensen 8 August, 2014 @ 10:42 pm

Makes an even better PS4 title. ;)

orionthehunters 8 August, 2014 @ 11:05 pm

Next Gen? lol

MrSabuhudo 9 August, 2014 @ 10:48 am

We all love graphics but not every game has to focus on it. Thanks to the PS4, this game can look great (not mind-blowing but great) without the developers having to put a lot of resources into performance optimization. If everyone would judge games like this by it’s “cover”, smaller titles would start to suffer in gameplay and so on. So consider being a little bit more open-minded…

AlexAtkinUK 10 August, 2014 @ 6:34 pm

Take off those rose tinted glasses because I think you will find PS2 games didn’t look anything like this polished.

It might not be a huge graphical showcase for PS4, but looking at how natural the lighting is, how soft the depth-of-field effect is, it appears to be using modern effects to me. I’m pretty sure small indies couldn’t have done this level of quality on the older hardware.

People seem to forget, improvements in GPU technology and APIs are not for the end user, they are to make the developers job easier. That may in turn mean more impressive visuals to the end user, but it depends entirely on what that developer is aiming for, how much time/money they have to put into it, etc.

Edvardcooper 8 August, 2014 @ 11:38 pm   15

Looks like I just got another reason to buy a PS4. :)

markopolouk 9 August, 2014 @ 6:50 am   16

I’m an absolute sucker for 3D platformers :D It’s my favourite genre! I don’t own a PS4 sadly but I own this on PC and it’s absolutely brilliant. A Vita version would be amazing ;)

Is there any hope for a VITA version?