Posted 25 August

Don’t Starve: Giant Edition sets up camp on PS Vita next week

Klei Entertainment hit survival sim goes portable from 3rd September

Hey everyone! Jamie Cheng here, founder of Klei Entertainment. I’m happy to announce a few cool things: first is that Don’t Starve: Giant Edition for PS Vita is now in certification, and will be launching on 3rd September 2014!

Here are some key details you’ll want to know:

1. The Giant Edition costs €13.99, and includes the Reign of Giants expansion. It includes new characters, seasons, biomes, and other challenges that will happily kill you.
  2. Unfortunately, in order for us to get the game on Vita, we had to rewrite a bunch of backend code to optimise it. Because of this, the save games are not compatible with the PS4, so there is no Cross-Play.
  3. BUT! We love you all, so we’re making the game Cross-Buy! If you own Don’t Starve on PS4, you get the PS Vita version for free, and vice versa. Thank you for supporting our game, and please spread the word so we can keep making more interesting games!
Don't Starve: Giant Edition PS Vita Don't Starve: Giant Edition PS VitaDon't Starve: Giant Edition PS Vita

In case you missed it from our previous post, here are the key features of the Reign of Giants expansion that is included in this package:

Reign of Giants key features

• New playable characters: Reign of Giants adds two characters for players to discover and survive with. Play as Wigfrid, a stage actress who went a bit too far with method acting on her latest role, an ancient Valkyrie, or Webber, a young boy who lives inside the spider who tried to eat him long ago.
  • Year-round starvation: Struggle through a full year of seasons as you experience the torrential rain falls of spring and the blistering heat of summer.
  • A bigger, badder world: New biomes have been filled to the brim with new creatures and gatherables that will either help you survive – or kill you.
  • An extra save slot: You asked, we delivered.
  • Giants: They’re in the name for crying out loud!

And that’s all folks! See you on 3rd September. If you’ve got any questions or just want to say hi, you can find us on Twitter @Klei. As usual, we’re always around and happy to chat. Don’t Starve is what it is thanks to the amazing community and discussions. Thanks for all the feedback and support!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

22 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Most of us have the simple version from the PS+ how exactly will it work for cross-buy, since Vita has the expansion with it? Do we have to buy the expansion?

Alphaembryo 25 August, 2014 @ 6:29 pm

This is a good question @Jamie Cheng. Please answer this.

They’ve answered this on twitter here https://twitter.com/klei/status/503986639564443648

“Pablo ‏@LastRealGamer 15h
    @Klei I “own” the PS+ version of Don’t Starve, but not the expansion. Is the #Vita version still #CrossBuy or do I need to purchase the exp?”

“klei ‏@klei
    @LastRealGamer it’s still cross-buy, but we obviously appreciate the support if you grab the expansion on PS4!”

So it looks like those who got PS+ versions of the game but do not have the expansion, will still get the full game and expansion on Vita. I think I’ll go buy the expansion now anyway on PS4 to show support because this is a very cool thing for them to do.

Bovrillor 27 August, 2014 @ 7:12 am

Aww, wish I’d known this when the PS4 version was on Sale last week. Missed the Plus freebie and only really want it on Vita (as I already have it on PC for fullscreen play)

WearingFin 25 August, 2014 @ 6:26 pm   2

I’m curious to see the UI. Scaling issues were the only drawbacks of using remote play, but i can’t wait as this game (with suspend) is perfect for the train.

Bumblebee 26 August, 2014 @ 11:42 am

The UI size could be increased in the PS4 version, which made Remote Play much easier. So your “issues” aren’t really issues as there were options to deal with them if you actually bother looking.

WearingFin 26 August, 2014 @ 12:16 pm

There’s no need to be snide.

Agamer2006 25 August, 2014 @ 6:30 pm   3

Thats awesome of you guys regarding this cross buy, didnt expect that and was planning to purchase a vita copy. I had held of buying the new dlc because of the vita version, but now that its cross buy I will make sure to buy the DLC for PS4

supersmith2500 25 August, 2014 @ 6:41 pm   4

We got the PS4 version for free on Plus, does this mean PS4 owners who got the PS4 version from IGC eariler on get the PSVita version as well. If so, great news.

Aces73High 25 August, 2014 @ 6:45 pm   5

Awesome news! Really excited for Don’t Starve on Vita. Can’t wait..!!!

Aces73High 25 August, 2014 @ 6:46 pm   6

Damn, how’d I let my PS+ sub expire? Better get renewing!

ummagummachild 25 August, 2014 @ 7:35 pm   7

Heard a lot bout this game, now wid vita edition will b able to play it as I only gv vita n no ps3 or ps4. Awesome! Keep up d good work

salvogdaze 25 August, 2014 @ 7:43 pm   8

Awesome news for a great game! Thanks Klei.

glyn_y2k3 25 August, 2014 @ 7:47 pm   9

Any news on a physical copy of the game?

supersmith2500 25 August, 2014 @ 9:00 pm

Klei is an indie developer. They would need to pay more for the physical copies which is expensive.

glyn_y2k3 25 August, 2014 @ 10:01 pm

I understand they are indied, but physical copies for the PC game exist, so just wondered if they were going to for this one.

HomessaHomem 26 August, 2014 @ 9:03 am   10

I NEED THIS IN MY VITA!

zalwelgoedgaan 26 August, 2014 @ 4:33 pm   11

Yay for Crossbuy!

Emperor_Mordred 26 August, 2014 @ 6:35 pm   12

Awesome!
Don’t Starve (and it’s DLC) is my GOTY so far!

One day I’ll survive the heatwaves ;-)

J1had_Jack50n 27 August, 2014 @ 7:15 am   13

Kind of disappointed. PS4 version was on sale last week and the developers released a press statement specifically stating that the game would not be cross buy. I figure if that’s the case I should just by it for vita as it seems like the more suitable platform. Now look at that as soon as the sale ends they announce cross buy. This is great for anyone who got the game on ps+ but it’s kind of a [deleted] move considering the circumstances. So who is at fault? Did the developers deliberately spread false information or did Sony mislead the developers? Either way I’m not happy as I now have to pay 3 times the amount for a game I’m not even sure that I want anymore.

Bovrillor 27 August, 2014 @ 8:47 am

I feel the same way.

I only wanted it on Vita, and would have bought the PS4 version in the sale if they’d been honest about the crossbuy.

Now I’ll have to wait for another sale – I already paid full price for the game & DLC on PC, paying triple price for another copy would suck.

(Not to mention I could have had it free via PLUS if my first PS4 had actually worked. Seems I missed the only 2 decent PS+ items that month – this and Resogun)

bimobazinga 2 September, 2014 @ 11:20 am   14

As much as I am excited about it. I was so much trillion hoping into cross-save. If you own ps4 and vita, you need to play on one and continue on the other. I hope there will be any future update to support this.