Posted 4:00pm

11 reasons why we think you’ll love Velocity 2X, out tomorrow on PS4/PS Vita

Plus, day one Critical Urgency DLC detailed in full

Hey folks, I’m back for one last hype before the release of Velocity 2X today/tomorrow. A few weeks ago I came on here and told you all that I believed Velocity 2X was a game-of-the-year-winner. Today I’m going to explain precisely why I believe that is the case!

For anyone that hasn’t seen the trailer yet:

1. Innovation

First of all, people love something novel and exciting to get their teeth into, so we’ve made sure 2X has plenty of firsts.

Having two genres in one expands the speedy gameplay format in a meaningful way, pushing your skills and confidence with the teleportation controls in many different directions.

this is caption

Take on the Vokh in race-tuned space combat…

this is caption

…then dock your ship and continue the fight on foot!

Whilst combining two genres into one is the main attraction, it’s not the only one, as there are many other unique ideas along the way, including the ability to fly your ship inside a boss to melt its innards by hand, and teleporting to a mid-air telepod that you just threw!

this is caption

General Glaive is a dangerous foe and must be confronted regularly!

Ultimately, Velocity 2X is a fusion of many different gameplay styles, with an emphasis on speed. This diagram illustrates how Velocity 2X is layered together.

DesignPyramid

2. Controls

Of course, the single most important thing for those who know what quality gaming is all about!

We got the controls almost perfect in Velocity Ultra, and now Hussain and I have had so much more time to refine them for 2X – they’re super-perfect. The main teleport control is more responsive, the boost feels utterly fabulous and performing a mid-air teledash through a fatal hazard makes you feel like a badass every single time.

3. Gameplay

Trust me when I say that Ed Earl is one of the finest gameplay programmers out there; always looking to improve the function, feel and fun of every game feature.

IceCaves

The entire Velocity 2X universe truly is a high-speed playground thanks to his pursuit for perfection.

You will also really enjoy fighting the Vokh. Ed created a deadly threat here which is incredibly satisfying to avert with a reliable dose of skill. I love them!

BlinkAndYouMissMe

4. Art style

With a tiny team, we knew the Velocity 2X art style had to be unique and stunning without requiring thousands of hours of asset production. Chris Goff’s high-contrast, low-detail environment art, along with Jack Hamilton’s fluid and elegant character rendering achieves these goals beautifully. It looks great in screenshots, and marvellous in motion.

this is caption

Hand animated 360-degree shooting feels great on the right stick!

this is caption

Velocity 2X takes place over five beautiful environments

5. Visual effects

If you’ve seen the Explosions and the JBraamz, you know that Hussain Sheikh has the passion and skills to bring game worlds to life. Supported by a tireless enthusiasm for particles from Callum Roberts, the game is bursting with visual excitement.

Bombs

From the environment lighting and effects to leaves blowing gently on the wind, Velocity 2X is alive and well at 1080p and 60fps.

6. Level design

What’s the use of having awesome mechanics, controls and visuals without an exciting journey to discover them on? Kirsty Rigden has weaved a constantly evolving path with a perfect learning curve, carefully drip-feeding 2X’ many features throughout.

this is caption

We treat every level as an opportunity for you to extend and improve your skills

You’ll always be doing something new and exciting, whilst never feeling overwhelmed.

7. User interface

The Velocity 2X UI is so slick and intuitive it needs its own hashtag: #TouchSlideRelease. You’ll be amazed at how much more fun you have when you’ve got Jack Lang’s respect for flow at your fingertips.

UI

Are you the type that can’t be bothered to wait for the dials to animate to final position? Skip them and get a unique sound effect created just for you instead. Honestly, it’s quite astonishing how much Jack knows his stuff. Oh and the map.

8. Audio and music

Whilst gameplay and visuals can excite you, music has the power to stir emotion. You’ll hear a wide range of moods in Velocity 2X, from peaceful melancholy to thunderous vengeance.

Also, let’s get something straight: game music very rarely manages to authentically capture what is great about the hit records driving genres forward. Well not here.

Authentic sounding electronic music worthy of a top drawer DJ set AND a wide range of emotions stirred? I sense awards coming, and it won’t be surprising because Joris de Man is the magician responsible for that Killzone theme you love. Yes that one.

You should check out the Velocity 2X soundtrack now:

9. Story

With lovable characters and dialogue that will make you laugh out loud, Robin Jubber has created an engaging story that will keep you caring all the way through without getting in the way of the action. It’s also got skippable cut scenes, because gaming.

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

10. Challenge

Then there’s me. What can I say, I love to reward skill, and I’ve made sure that you’ll enjoy a thrilling ride, flexing your gaming brain in joyful ways. I’ve spent countless hours obsessively refining every moment of gameplay to make you feel powerful, and my levels are race-tuned to the nth degree. Honestly, this game should be labelled: CLASS A.

Perfect

11. Quality

Just in case it wasn’t clear, Velocity 2X is a game-of-the-year-winner for a simple reason: it’s the work of a small team that possess great passion and skill, who have worked incredibly hard to put their vision and talent into your hands, only for it to be sent back to them to improve over and over again by Dave Gabriel! J

We’re all so proud of it, and we can’t wait for you to enjoy it! =D

Oh, and by the way…
Velocity 2X launches with some day-one DLC. I know this divides opinion, but when we finally finished the game and submitted it to Sony, we realised we hadn’t fully explored some of the new features, there are too many!

So, we just kept on working…

The Critical Urgency DLC Pack will be available at launch, and features six obsessively fine-tuned speed-run levels that teach you new tricks and push your teleporting skills beyond the limits of your imagination – into the realm of gaming magic. Master these levels to dazzle your friends and scare your family with freakish talent ;)

#07 - 20140604-0190#08 - Co_Op (5)

Also, keep an eye out for this great looking poster on our shop in the coming days. It includes the names of our biggest supporters!

Kai_Posterv02_07_3

Velocity 2X is released tomorrow for £12.99/€15.99 utilising Cross-Save and Cross-Buy for PS4 and PS Vita!

Or, y’know, it’s FREE on PlayStation Plus

Come and say hello @FuturLab =)

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

99 Comments 81 Author replies
Show oldest first
James Marsden 2 September, 2014 @ 4:03 pm   1

Hey folks, total hype over here. Any questions, fire ‘em over =)

I only had the chance to play 2X for about 30 minutes when I downloaded it on my PS4, but I’m already convinced that it could be one of the greatest games I’ve ever played (I am a pretty serious gamer, done journalism in the industry and all that jazz).

I was disappointed to see the DLC go up when it did, I am vocally against that sort of thing. However, seeing your situation and how you’ve been open and straight with us, your consumer, I can’t complain with that and I respect that a lot.

Also when you factor in that this game in part of PS+, paying some amount of money towards this game? As I said it’s potentially one of the greatest games I’ve ever played, of course it’s fair to pay!

Velocity Ultra was a game I got I believe with a Vita Mega Pack when I got the system, tried it for about 10 minutes and put it in the “do later” pile. A year later and 2X has thrown VU to the front of the pile, I’ll definitely be buying the 2X DLC and definitely be nailing VU to boot! Keep up the great games!

I played Velocity Ultra on my Vita ages ago, is it the same series or something completely different?

James Marsden 2 September, 2014 @ 4:05 pm

Same series, this is a direct sequel =)

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 4:30 pm

Yes direct sequel. But a much bigger game, we now have platforming sections along with top-down sections and also Bosses! :D

As always great post, and great points you have made! Also like the fact you guys do realize the issue with Day 1 dlc. But i know i’ll get it. I absolutely LOVE the Critical Urgency levels thats already in the game. So the DLC is gonna be more than welcome for me.
Wish more devs would take time to make these sort of blog posts in so much details, and also talk to folks on it instead of just ignoring them~

James Marsden 2 September, 2014 @ 4:33 pm

Awesome, thanks for your understanding! As I said below, this DLC was not planned before we finished the game. The PS+ slot gave us time to do it.

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 4:34 pm

Thanks and much appreciate that you love our posts. I keep saying it all the time, but we do love talking to our players. Critical Urgency levels are my personal favorite :) So I loved working on (read as playing) them :)

Is the DLC also free for PS+ members and is there any more dlc planned?

James Marsden 2 September, 2014 @ 4:28 pm

Hey, the DLC is not free with PS+, no.

theindieboy 2 September, 2014 @ 9:20 pm

Seriously it is £1.99 once you have played this game for 10 mins will buy it out of gratitude is anything like the orginal, if you are a vita and PS+ owner have already got every game they have made ever for free about time we started giving them money, I am buying a tshirt tomorrow night if a 10th as good as the orginal. Keep up the good work Futurab and more things we can give you money for the better, what more great games from you :)

Sure, £1.99 is not a lot to ask for some DLC, especially if the game is as good as the hype. As a PS+ subscriber though I can’t say I’m happy with it regardless of the game or developer.

I think there will be many PS+ subscribers hoping that this isn’t setting a precedent, particularly when combined with the whole Driveclub-lite news.

PS+ has been getting quite a bit of criticism lately and, while I personally quite like an increase in more smaller indie titles, I will see it as a drop in quality if we start getting more ‘lite’ versions of games intended to suck more cash out of us. Despite what many think these games are not “free” and if the developers didn’t get a nice big cheque from Sony, along with massive game/brand exposure then they simply wouldn’t sign their games away on PS+.

This is not a criticism of this game or developer in particular but we should be careful not to dismiss genuine concerns for PS+ as a paid service.

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 4:16 pm   5

Hi peeps. I will be here as well, if you have any specific questions for me just start with @Hussain and I will jump in too :D

supersmith2500 2 September, 2014 @ 4:17 pm   6

Looks really nice, will sure to try it out tomorrow. Loved Velocity Ultra btw. : )

yippeekiyay 2 September, 2014 @ 4:19 pm   7

Will there be trophies for the DLC?

andrewsqual 2 September, 2014 @ 4:20 pm   8

How many trophies are there in the game. :)

James Marsden 2 September, 2014 @ 4:23 pm

36 in the standalone game, including the Platinum which is called “Yippee Kai Yay ************!”

6 trophies in the Critical Urgency DLC Pack

andrewsqual 2 September, 2014 @ 4:30 pm

Haha cool. Is the name of the Platinum really censored too then? Oh wait, I think it has to be as a rule :)

yippeekiyay 2 September, 2014 @ 4:41 pm

I really want this platinum, since it’s so close to my psn name =D

madmanwithabox12 2 September, 2014 @ 5:29 pm

I like that as well as a Platinum, there’s a good few Silvers and Golds too. You guys really get trophies. Again, kudos to you.

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 5:32 pm

Thanks guys – You will love unlocking those trophies. Will be well earned and much loved we are sure! :D

theindieboy 2 September, 2014 @ 9:23 pm

yippeekiyay good luck it will be hard but if you get it will be well earnt if anything like the 1st, which i never got :( but enjoyable to go for and never feels like a chore. Good luck will be fun

Hi guys, Congrats on the game and thanks for being here.

Day one DLC is not something that I appreciate, just because you always feel that it was something taken from the main game…

Anyways can you tell us something as new plans for the future and if those plans include the PS Vita?

James Marsden 2 September, 2014 @ 4:27 pm

This DLC was not planned from the start, but developed after we’d submitted the game to Sony and secured the PS+ slot for September. So we had over 6 weeks to wait. Made sense to make some DLC =D

theindieboy 2 September, 2014 @ 9:25 pm

They love the vita so really expect it too, Velocity 2X lead dev platform was vita and ps4 stuff added on top not PS4 squeezed onto vita like lots, so hopefully can’t wait to see what they have planned for us next but have months of Velocity 2X 1st wooo not long now.

Hussain Sheikh 3 September, 2014 @ 1:16 am

Yes absolutely. Vita was our lead platform and every little mechanic and feature that you find on PS4 is same on Vita. It runs at 60FPS on Vita and we have made sure that the controls feel as tight on Vita as PS4. Just a matter of which controller you are more comfortable with :)

VictorAnalogy 2 September, 2014 @ 4:23 pm   10

How much is the DLC? As I’m getting it free on PS+ i’m more than happy to throw some pennies your way as a mark of appreciation. :D

jorispelgrom 2 September, 2014 @ 4:23 pm   11

“(…) only for it to be sent back to them to improve over and over again by Dave Gabriel! J”
Well, he didn’t check this blog post, judging by that J…

The old boring questions:
Any details on pricing for the DLC?
How much additional space is required for the DLC?

HomessaHomem 2 September, 2014 @ 4:25 pm   12

I NEED THIS IN MY VITA!

played the first game on vita pretty fun, looking forward to this one ^^

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 5:07 pm

Glad to hear. Velocity2X is an improvement on Velocity Ultra and then adds loads to new fetures. So hopefully you will enjoy this too :D

madmanwithabox12 2 September, 2014 @ 4:44 pm   14

@everybody: Buy this game people! I’ve had an early copy since Friday and it’s something else. A brilliant game and these guys deserve all the support and recognition you can give them. A seriously quality piece of entertainment. I’m not ashamed to admit I’m addicted. :D

@Futurlab: You guys have done an astounding job with this. I love how the further you go, you unlock a new feature or ability and it just showcases how solid the mechanics are. Efficient speed-runs that utilise all of your skills and encourage you to experiment with the game mechanics… it’s sheer bloody brilliance. Kudos to you guys! :D

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 4:55 pm

@madmanwithabox12 Thanks so much. The fact that you love it enough to recommend it to everybody else means that we have achieved our goal of creating a great user experience. Thank you very much for your support. Means a great deal to us that we have people who vouch for us :)

johnnycide 2 September, 2014 @ 4:52 pm   15

12. Because it’s free on plus :D

I’ll be honest, I was very sceptical when I heard about this, but you don’t get industry buzz like this unless you’ve made something very special indeed. Add to that the fact that you lot really seem to know what makes an awesome game, and the sheer enthusiasm shown so far, and I honestly think you’re on to a winner.
If this is half as good as I’ve heard, then I’ll be picking up the DLC on day one just to show support for the devs.

James Marsden 2 September, 2014 @ 4:58 pm

Yay! Thank you! We’re very happy to have earned your interest =)

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 5:34 pm

Thanks and we are so thankful to everybody who has supported us and created the buzz with us. Please do give it a try and we are sure the game will live upto it’s hype! :D
    Thanks for all the support :)

MaxDiehard 2 September, 2014 @ 4:54 pm   16

Where can I purchase the soundtrack from?

‘Boost’ reminds me greatly of WipEout HD.

12th reason to buy the game: because for months you guys came here and answered/talked to us ;)

P.S.
I would gladly pay for a HUD customization DLC ;) ;)

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 5:09 pm

Thanks and many thanks to you for coming here and talking to us. We have had so much support and positivity here, it’s just been amazing! :)

I can appreciate the hard work that goes into titles, and whilst I do not doubt you’ve laboured over this game, it’s just not enticing me to play. Even “free with PS+” (excellent job there guys, I’m sure a LOT of people are going to be grateful), I’m just not sold.

Different strokes for different folks? Still, it’d be rude not to try it and if your game can convert me – you can convert anyone.

Good luck!

MaxDiehard 2 September, 2014 @ 5:09 pm

The PSP Mini certainly coverted me. This one will be a no-brainer.

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 5:37 pm

Yes definitely, you are absolutely right, but the fact that you are willing to give our game a try is more than we can ask for! Please do let us know what you think of it @FuturLab or @shakemayster – any feedback welcome :)

I will for sure. And I’m 100% impressed at the amount of replies to this post. It’s little details like that, that can propel a person, or company’s image.

Hussain Sheikh 3 September, 2014 @ 1:16 am

So pleased to know that you appreciate our work. We Love talking to you guys, so please any questions, do not hesitate to ask :)

ShadowOfBatman 2 September, 2014 @ 5:06 pm   19

First game was really… REALLY awesome. Platinum trophy of Velocity is my favorite. I hope Velocity 2X more better than one of the best game on Vita. Thanks for your work!! It’s really cool!!

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 5:40 pm

Hopefully Velocity2X will not disappoint you. This is a much bigger game than Velocity Ultra and we have improved on every aspect of the game, with addition of platforming sections and bosses! :D

Looks great and I can’t wait to try it tomorrow.

One question – in all your posts there’s this emphasis on frantic speed. I’m more of a methodical, take my time and explore every area / kill every enemy / locate every secret, tortoise my way to victory kind of gamer.

Do you have to finish every level at breakneck speed (enforced time limits etc) or is it possible to take things at a more leisurely pace?

If its like the last game, no. Its all about the speed

madmanwithabox12 2 September, 2014 @ 5:28 pm

You can theoretically take your time, but if you want to get the perfect medals (which is where the game REALLY shines in my opinion) you will need to beat the set time, collect everything in the level and destroy everything you can, all without dying. It’s awesome.

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 5:45 pm

Awesome. We can’t wait for the game to be out too :)
    Absolutely in Velocity, you set the pace of the game yourself. You can boost as fast as you can and rush to the finish line, but you can also go slow. Though there are three tiers to finishing a level, Gold, Silver and Bronze and to get Golden medal you will probably have to boost quite often. But all the features are trip fed and the intensity builds up slowly. So by the time you reach level 50 you will be whizzing through the levels!

James Marsden 2 September, 2014 @ 7:57 pm

We’ve designed the game to be played by anyone, and to cater to different play styles. Just read some of the reviews and your concerns will be addressed.

Kirsty cares a great deal about making an accessible game. It’s possible to play through the game and enjoy *without* being a ninja. But it rewards ninjas for their skill too. Hence all of the high scores in reviews. All these people have very different preferences.

Played every game you’ve made on the PlayStation platform. Can’t wait for this one and I’ll be buying the DLC to support you, especially as the game is essentially free.

Thank you and roll on update time tomorrow.

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 5:47 pm

Thank you very much. So pleased to hear that you’ve been supporting us. Means a lot and hopefully we will continue creating games that are worth of peoples love! :D

Congratulations on the review scores so far, FuturLab! Tomorrow can’t come quickly enough.

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 5:47 pm

Thanks :D We are buzzing with excitement at the review scores in studio at the moment :)

SuperJag86 2 September, 2014 @ 5:24 pm   23

Been looking forward to playing this since beating the original Velocity mini and I’m so excited the day is almost here!
Velocity (esp Velocity Ultra) is one of my favourite games ever!
A couple of questions, does V2X still have extra missions in the Flight Computer? (they always were fun to beat)
Do you have a date for when the new T shirts will be available from your store?
Hope you have a successful launch!

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 5:50 pm

Thank you so much for your support and so glad that you liked Velocity Ultra. Hopefully you will enjoy Velocity2X even more. Velocity2X does have a bonus game in Flight Computer, hope you will like it. The T-Shrits will be on the store next week :)
    Thank you so much for your support :D

zalwelgoedgaan 2 September, 2014 @ 5:30 pm   24

“Velocity 2X launches with some day-one DLC. –I know this divides opinion–, but when we finally finished the game and submitted it to Sony, we realised we hadn’t fully explored some of the new features, there are too many!”

Well, it’s a good thing you’ve spent a lot of time sweet talking us and asking for sympathy with that twitter-spam-thundercrabs-campaign because you somehow feared that your game that you spent so much time on didn’t get enough exposure even though PS+ titles get them much more than standard titles and us eventually having sympathy for you and defending your honor on this blog before dropping that tidbit of news to minimize the impact, hm?

Sssshhhhh… What’s the problem with a small developer being hyped and wanting to push that hype on to us? This team aren’t like UniSoft and won’t deliver a game that doesn’t come close to what they promised.

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 6:10 pm

As James mentioned: This DLC was not planned from the start, so please do not think that we have held back on any features in the main game. The DLC does not contain any additional features (gameplay, graphics, music, online, etc) but only contains additional levels. Critical Urgency levels are the most favoured ones in the studio and when we had a little bit of extra time after pushing the game through FQA, we decided to create more levels for our players to enjoy.
    As far as marketing is concerned, we are a very small studio and don’t have any marketing budget. The game is marketed by our team, creating blogs and communicating with our players over weekends or after work hours. That is also the sole reason why we went on PS+, so we can have more visibility and we are extremely thankful to everybody who has supported us on twitter, reddit, thunderclap and other social medias. Without their support the game will not have the visibility that it has today. So thank you very much and we hope you will love the game and find it worthy of spreading the word. Many thanks!

Alphaembryo 2 September, 2014 @ 7:12 pm

Although I understand and agree up to a point to what @zalwelgoedgaan says, I surely have to share my deepest admiration towards the developers, for their effort and their attitude.

Few more hours left to experience their game, which, Im sure, will be great.

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 7:29 pm

We understand what @zalwelgoedgaan says too. But we really hope that people will see our reasoning for DLC, try out our game and see that the DLC takes nothing away from the main game and also understand why we asked the gaming community to help us promote our game. We are extremely thankful to every individual who has commented, posted, re-posted or read our blogs and generally helped us make our voices louder. Thank you so much! :D

theindieboy 2 September, 2014 @ 9:36 pm

Well I hate day 1 dlc but could not give a flying ** it is £1.99 and every game they have realesed has been free on plus at some point so what is £1.99, the studio do an amazing job, and can garantee that they do not only respond in public forums for PR. I have countless emails from them over the years (many at silly times of the night/morning our time) and even have my name in Velocity Ultra, I don’t have twitter, a gaming blog or any other public forums that will gain them anything and have treated better than i could ever expect, just because they do it to everyone means that it is not a ploy it is real love for gaming and gamers. The are the best gaming Studio i know of, and up ther with Rockstar for quality in every aspect of their games, show them love not hate because world would be a lot better if even a few studios were as nice as Futurlab. Wooo not long now.

Hussain Sheikh 3 September, 2014 @ 1:19 am

Thanks @theindieboy for your passionate support for us. We really can’t thank you enough. And so pleased to hear that we’ve won your admiration. Hope you will love Velocity2X as well! :)

SuperJag86 2 September, 2014 @ 5:50 pm   25

Also are you likely to add more content via further DLC packs?

Jacko_the_lad 2 September, 2014 @ 5:54 pm   26

This wasn’t really on my radar, but after seeing so many good reviews and the fact it’s free on Plus, I’m going to give it a go. :)

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 6:14 pm

Great – really hope you will enjoy it. We are extremely happy with the reviews so far ourselves. We have put our heart and soul into the game, so we were extremely excited. But the reviews have cemented the belief that we have done well :)
    Thank you so much! :)

theindieboy 2 September, 2014 @ 9:38 pm

Enjoy was not excited for Velocity Ultra as thought it was not my kind of game, but boy was I wrong. These guys are seriously amazing, as anyone with a vita has know for a while.

ThreeWallzz 2 September, 2014 @ 6:07 pm   27

This game’s got 2 5/5 reviews so far,u weren’t kidding when u said that this is a GOTY winner,can’t wait to play this on my vita!

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 6:15 pm

Somebody has created a NeoGaf thread with our review scores here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=887255 so you can see more scores. Lots of positivity and we are extremely thankful for all the support we have received. Thanks :)

DuxCaesar 2 September, 2014 @ 7:57 pm

I know that they don’t care about PlayStation fans and PS Vita owner, Sony sucks nowaday, it’s Luke Microsoft, bit I hope you can do something. I want yo pay more for having something physical in my hands!

deathskitten 2 September, 2014 @ 6:07 pm   28

I’m looking forward to trying this. It’s not my usual type of game and I suspect it might be a bit tough for me to complete but I’ll give it a go :-) it does look very pretty!

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 6:18 pm

Thanks and glad you like the look of our game. It is actually not difficult at all and you as a player decide how difficult to make it. Essentially the game runs at a slow pace, but you can boost to go fast through the levels. By controlling the boost you actually control how difficult the game is for you. Hope this makes sense? But please do give it a try and let us know what you think – Hope you will enjoy it :D

theindieboy 2 September, 2014 @ 9:42 pm

deathskitten, i was 100% the same with velocity ultra, and don’t think i have ever been as wrong in my life, the gameplay is just perfect and the progression smooth, some reviews have said that the game is completable for anyone, but masterable by only the dedicated/skilled, which does not matter unless a trophy hunter or high score chaser. try it enjoy it and spread the love for an amazing studio.

Silent_Gig 2 September, 2014 @ 6:19 pm   29

The first game got really challenging for me during the later levels, to the point of frustration. So im going to have to respectfully back away from this one and probably play it later down the line. (When im feeling more sadistic)

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 6:30 pm

We have tried to balance the difficulty curve so it shouldn’t be too hard. It might take retries to Perfect later levels, but you should still be able to enjoy it at slower pace. So please if you get a chance do give it a try :)

DuxCaesar 2 September, 2014 @ 6:24 pm   30

This game looks very wonderful, why not a retail release? Maybe together with Velocity Ultra?
I remember that on Vita there are the retail copies of Demon Gaze or Hyperdimension Neptunia PP, which I don’t think will sell more than Velocity. And NIS America it’s not a company as great as Sony. So why they make stupid choices?

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 6:33 pm

The retail process is quite expensive and would have pushed the price of the title higher. We couldn’t afford to go down that route :(

theindieboy 2 September, 2014 @ 9:48 pm

Well you are getting a retail release this year don’t forget, Velocity Ultra for £85 with a free Playstion TV and a couple of other games :) well worth it, all be it download code. Think a retail realease and velocity ultra is also in the indie mega pack for vita which is £12.50 on amazon and well worth it for that game alone let alone the other amazing games on it.

JulesWayne 2 September, 2014 @ 6:25 pm   31

I’ve been really looking forward to it, you have a very special sensibility in every single aspect of design, from graphics and UI to audio and music, I love it. Can’t wait until tomorrow!

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 6:35 pm

Thank you so much! It’s great to hear all the positivity and the team is extremely thankful for every single bit of appreciation. Many thanks

Day 1 DLC??? **Sharpens Pitchfork** Futurlab you say, Puts down, pitchfork gets credit card. Velocity rocks. There are few Indy games that come close. I loved the Mini, The Vita Version and the PS3 Version. Bring on tomorrow’s update!

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 6:37 pm

hahahahahaah :) Thanks for your support. Hopefully you will love this one more. And please do check my response 24.2 regarding DLC. In summary, the DLC has no impact on the actual game. It doesn’t add any new features, just additional levels built on existing stuff. There was nothing held back in the main game for DLC :D

theindieboy 2 September, 2014 @ 9:50 pm

Agree completly need ways to give them money there games are always on PS+ when the new t shirts come next week day 1 purchase i think if the game is 10th as good as the 1st.

Majestic-Man 2 September, 2014 @ 7:18 pm   33

what is the price for Middle East Stores ?
i hope we won’t have to pay extra money.

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 7:23 pm

I am not sure whether Middle East stores use prices from EU or US store. Will try to find out for you :)

Majestic-Man 2 September, 2014 @ 7:55 pm

@Hussain i hope you find out soon. so i can post about this game in few Arabic forums/sites.

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 8:32 pm

Have fired an e-mail to sony. Will reply here as soon as I get an answer :)

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 8:32 pm

Or you can contact me on twitter @shakemayster

That’s a really good post, and creators actually stay here and talk about it. Gentlemen, you had my curiosity… but now you have my attention (also wallet).

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 7:24 pm

Thanks :) This is one of the best platforms to engage with our players, and yes we love talking with all our players :)

Alphaembryo 2 September, 2014 @ 7:31 pm   35

If you are still here, could you tell us the file size of the game? Id like to make some memory card arrangements as soon as possible. Thank you.

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 7:34 pm

The file size is about 720mb for Vita and 2.3gb for PS4 :)
    No problem, happy to answer :)

Alphaembryo 2 September, 2014 @ 7:40 pm

Thank you very much!

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 7:41 pm

You are welcome and Thank YOU for playing our game :D

theindieboy 2 September, 2014 @ 9:53 pm

I know who amazing i sent an email asking this an had a response in seconds. They really love gamers and games and reach out however they can. Well proud to have my name in Velocity Ultra. :) but do go out tonight an celebrate and be careful of drunk posting late ;)

This game is killiing it in the reviews. And no reviews under 7 (or even 8) yet. ;)

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 7:52 pm

Yes, we are so thankful for the great reviews. This is surreal, sooooooooo happy today :D

THE_FORCE 2 September, 2014 @ 7:53 pm   37

How refreshing to have the devs actually taking the time to continually answer questions on here. The majority get bored after the first few posts and merely love you and leave ya’!

You’ve set the bar now. ;)

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 7:57 pm

Thanks <3 We believe that if people take out time to read what we have to say and support our game, then we should definitely make the effort to reply to them :) Plus it takes no time to just say "hi" :D

… … … I’d rather be doing other things than this.

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 7:58 pm

We understand. But still if you have some time to kill and you have PS+, there is no harm in just trying our game out and who knows you might like it :)
    If not, then please let us know, if there is anything we can do better :)

medenko1975 2 September, 2014 @ 8:10 pm   39

Wow probably the most replied thread from developers ever :PPPP

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 8:26 pm

:D Yea think I have a knack for talking with people. Plus people have been amazing here. So much love and support :)

whodareshero 2 September, 2014 @ 8:11 pm   40

Well I for one can’t wait to get my hands on this. Loved the first one and have been hyped for this for what seems like forever. My big question though is when exactly can I start playing?????? I am doing a night shift tonight and would love to be playing on my break at 1am but with the exception of 1st part Titles most games never make it into the store until about 5pm. So since you have purposely rose my hype level to the stratosphere and BEYOND!! When can I play this???

Hussain Sheikh 2 September, 2014 @ 8:27 pm

hahaha. Sorry for the hype and hope you will see that the game lives upto it’s hype. It should be out in EU tomorrow, and thanks for your support for us :)

Sorry. I stopped reading at “Futurlab”, that’s reason enough to buy a game. You guys rock!

theindieboy 2 September, 2014 @ 9:14 pm   42

OMG seriously I just emailed them to ask the install size as was not logged in here, and withing seconds James has replyed, info vita install is 730mb (he thinks) but don’t forget to make space for the 100mb DLC we all owe it to them to spend the £1.99 and buy it. Watched some streams on my ps4 and am soooooo excited for this game looks better than the 1st one but not sure how it is possible as that was just perfect. This studio is amazing and the people are seriously cool and love gaming and engage their fans in the best way i have seen from anyone in the industry big or small, so happy that so many ps4 owner will know what vita owners have know for ages that these guys create THE BEST gameplay out there and are on a par with Rockstar which is the biggest compliment I think i can give. Download this game everyone who can and even if you can’t buy it on the online store and then buy a vita, or wait till you buy a vita or ps4 as that way can download what is probably the best game on the system the min you get it. THANK YOU futurlab keep up the good work and go have a drink is near 9:30 you deserve to celebrate.

Hussain Sheikh 3 September, 2014 @ 12:58 am

hahahaha. We were actually streaming the game on twitch and will be streaming again tomorrow night if you guys want to come talk to us live, you can check us tomorrow night http://www.twitch.tv/futurlab/
    Also you can follow us on @FuturLab to know exactly when we go live on twitch.
    Thank you so much guys for the support and love. We really appreciate it! :D

My sentiments exactly, £1.99 is nothing for the work these guys have done. If I could pay for the full game I would.

On a slightly less related note, Jawed and Co, this is how you respond to people. 50 plus comments!

theindieboy 2 September, 2014 @ 9:57 pm

Not sure if the counter goes over 50 if they comment more than 100 bit worried it will break the page/css as doubt they would have tested for that lol not like they normally have more than 10 replies. Hope they are out drinking by now as 10pm on the day there game released (well in us) they deserve a lot of drinks the love that has clearly gone into this game is amazing.

theindieboy 2 September, 2014 @ 10:00 pm

Don’t worry Futurlab, i have checked with developer toolbar you are good commenting into the 100,000s so that should even cover you :D

Hussain Sheikh 3 September, 2014 @ 12:59 am

Yes I am sure there is no limit to the number of comments. And we will be checking in again tomorrow if you guys want to talk :D

I like turtles.

loved coconut dodge and the first 2 velocity titles so really looking forward to x2.

really want to try out the side scrolling sections as its something new and i want to see what you guys have done there.

congrats on the great review scores guys

Hussain Sheikh 3 September, 2014 @ 1:10 am

Thanks very much for the congrats. The side scrolling sections should make you feel as powerful and amazing as top-down sections. Fingers crossed you will love them. :)

Stonesthrow 3 September, 2014 @ 12:22 am   46

I thought this was a modern top down vertical shooter when I saw it in the PLUS update. Might enjoy the sidescroller Metroid gameplay though, I’ll give it a try afterall. Cool music too.

Hussain Sheikh 3 September, 2014 @ 1:11 am

Absolutely, it’s a mix of both Topdown and side-scrolling platforming genre. The music is actually done by Joris De Man, who composed the music for Killzone. We are extremely proud of the music and pleased to hear that you like it :D

captain57boots 3 September, 2014 @ 12:26 am   47

Oh PS+, how I love thee :)

Really looking forward to this month’s stuff, gonna have me some fun. Bring it on!

9.0 on IGN! congratulations guys! I am so hyped to play this game on my PS4 tomorrow.

Hussain Sheikh 3 September, 2014 @ 1:12 am

YES!!! So excited with all the review scores coming in. We were certainly hoping for good reviews, but actually getting them feels surreal. Thanks to all you guys/gals for the support :)

Darkwatcher 3 September, 2014 @ 12:51 am   49

FuturLab you guys are awesome! I can’t wait to play Velocity tomorrow!I’d like to thank you for making this masterpiece, amazing art, amazing soundtrack and gameplay! Finally you guys are getting the recognition you deserve. Good job FuturLab!

Hussain Sheikh 3 September, 2014 @ 1:13 am

Thank you SO much! Yes tomorrow is today now. So I guess just a few hours away from getting the game in EU :D Hope you will love it and many thanks for supporting us :D

zaganhall 3 September, 2014 @ 1:57 am   50

It looks amazing how long is it ? Ill be getting the dlc the more content the better i hope theres more too ^^

Hussain Sheikh 3 September, 2014 @ 12:04 pm

Thank you very much. The main game has 50 levels and the DLC has 6 levels. As to how long it will take, depends on how good you are. I have honestly not tried to measure the time, so very hard to say. Let’s see if people who are playing it already can give a hint? :)

Load all