Posted

PixelJunk Shooter – Multiplayer Details

PixelJunk Shooter is one of the many titles drawing crowds to the PlayStation Stand at this year’s E3. Q-Games’ Dylan Cuthbert is here to tell us a bit more about the two-player mode in this ingenious PSN title that’s as much an addictive puzzler as it is a shooter.

After talking about the co-op in PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe for the PSP, it’s now time to talk a little bit about the two player mode in PixelJunk Shooter which we hadn’t mentioned before.

In true PixelJunk fashion we have made the game co-op, so get a friend around, grab an extra controller and anyone can just dive right on in. We’ve tried to make co-op as de-stressed as possible, so even if your player’s ship gets hit by something or overheats and starts crashing towards the ground, you can pop out your extendible hook thing (no official name for this yet – “Grabber” perhaps?) and grab your friend (he’s a bit heavy tho, so watch out), then you can carry him to the nearest pool of water and dunk him in to restore his health. If you don’t manage to grab him in time, he’ll just re-spawn near you and you’ll be docked a life.

The game is an old-school shooter at heart (hence the name), it is the PixelJunk take on those old retro shooting games such as Defender, with a little bit of Choplifter and Thrust! thrown in for good measure. We have giant bosses for you to fight against, multiple weapons to pick up and try out, shields you can grab, all kinds of stuff to give people with an itchy trigger finger a lot of fun.

However, at the same time we have added a puzzle element (that we tend to do with most of our games) so even those without an itchy trigger finger will be able to play the game and have a lot of fun. This puzzle element obviously revolves around the sandbox fluid simulation we have implemented, and it is incredible to watch in action.

As with PJ Monsters Deluxe I’m not sure what the release date will be, but we are working very hard on it so hopefully it won’t be too far off!

21 Comments
2 Author replies

I love the look of this game, Pixeljunk always have amazing art styles. Can’t wait to get my hands on it!

DiscoMonkey 04 June, 2009 @ 17:10

Really like the copying of items from the US Blog, I think eventually I’ll be confident enough to only look at the EU Blog.

Of course a handy US Blog Recent Posts side window would guarantee this

Charlotte Large 04 June, 2009 @ 18:47
2.1

Nice idea, DiscoMonkey.
I guess we’re a little cautious about overloading you guys with loads of feeds: we’ve got 5 there at the moment. We’ll have a think about what we can do.
We won’t quote all of the items from the US blog, but certainly a number of those that will be of interest to everyone on this side of the pond. :)

That looks……Day 1 buy!! :P

P.S this reminds me of an old Net yaroze game in the way the ship moves.

Looks fantastic.

Always been a fan of the old school shooters so this one will end up in my basket when it decides to be launched. :)

Looks great like all PJ games, so will be a defo purchase for me.

Don’t know how well it sold but might PJ ever update PJ Racers for trophy support, as it is a nice little fun game?
Probably too late now i suppose?

FreeLanZerDK 04 June, 2009 @ 17:21

#4
Indeed E-ROLE.. it was Gravitation.. :D

@ 7

Hell yes, that was it. Childhood is flooding back.

Bliter boy was my frav bt far

JudgeNutmeg 04 June, 2009 @ 17:31

Reminds me of Scramble crossed with Thrust crossed with LocoRoco crossed with Wetrix in 2D… sort of.

I wannit!!

All Pixeljunk has become automatic day 1 in my book!

Gamester101 04 June, 2009 @ 18:19

Wow good stuff! :D I love the creative games you guys come up with! Keep them coming! A definite buy :D

Psicojacorral 04 June, 2009 @ 18:22

I want it too!

Croopnick_PL 04 June, 2009 @ 18:36

Wow PJ Shooter…who cares.
Were is the Store update for today?

Charlotte Large 04 June, 2009 @ 18:41
13.1

Today’s update is imminent, we’re hoping to have it live by 7pm as long as the content behaves itself.

its freaky if you refresh the store content appears

Croopnick_PL 04 June, 2009 @ 18:51

Thx for respond, and is there chance for FFVII in EU?

I am looking forward to have fun.

There is something that needs improvement if its like the last pixel junk game its…….the soundtrack. You need something catchy without being annoying. lol

For the updates on PS Store wouldn’t be better to have an option on the PSN account to be notified of the PSN updates with details?

Heya! No online coop i assume from conversations about this feature seen before?

PixelJunk Shooter looks absolute brilliant! Reminds me a bit about the old of moon lander. I think I’ll need to play trough all the old PixelJunk games before this game gets released though :-)

I love me some PJ so I’m really looking forward to this,hopefully the extra needed on dungeons pays off.

Has there ever been a bad PixelJunk game? (yes I have played racers and loved it.)

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history