Posted

E3 Interview: Gran Turismo PSP

The last time I met Kazunori Yamauchi was in Dubai, where GT Academy winner Lucas Ordóñez made the jump from virtual to real life racing. He told me then that he had always believed that a driver trained in Gran Turismo could drive as fast as a real racing driver, so when I interviewed him again last week at E3, I was interested to hear if the same applies to Gran Turismo PSP.

DSC01130

Kazunori Yamauchi the father of Gran Turismo

“I think that GT PSP is an entry point into the series,” he said. “It can introduce people to Gran Turismo 5 where they can learn the skills needed to be a racing driver. It’s a similar flow to what you would see if you played the original Gran Turismo on PSone and worked your way up to GT5.”

Gran Turismo PSP was first announced at E3 in 2005, and Kazunori was happy to explain why there has been so long a wait.

“We’ve talked to lots of journalists on this subject,” he told me, “and the truth is that we announced GT PSP too early. Since then we’ve released Gran Turismo 4,Tourist Trophy, HD Concept and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. We can only apologise for keeping people waiting.”

Having played GT PSP, I’m impressed by how Polyphony Digital has managed to condense the Gran Turismo experience onto a handheld without compromise; I asked whether any of the game’s modes had been designed with portable play in mind.

“The entire game is designed for a portable device,” he replied. “But to go into more detail, goals will be completed in 15 and 30 minute increments, so you won’t be endurance racing like in previous games.”

I then asked what the name of the song is in the trailer, after Silent_Gig enquired in a previous post; he said he couldn’t remember but emailed me shortly after, telling me that the song in question is Fist of God by MSTRKRFT.

Moving on, I wanted to know how he managed to maintain his enthusiasm for increasing the level of realism of the Gran Turismo series. He told me that the expectations of his fans kept him going, as well as the visions that he wanted to present to them.

Our short interview ended there, and after a gruelling day of interviews, the father of Gran Turismo headed back to his hotel, as I did to mine. I wonder what he was driving…

33 Comments
4 Author replies
Psicojacorral 10 June, 2009 @ 14:05

First!! The game rocks in PSP!

Can’t wait to get my mitts on this!

Just bought Gran Turismo 5 Prologue the other day and it’s amazing.

Great job James.

Can’t wait for both GT PSP & GT5, the Gran Turismo series is a fantastic & elegant racing experience.

Really cannot wait for this… even though i already own the original, fully functioning PSP and i know you’ll be able to get that game along with all the rest on UMD too.. i’ll be getting a PSP Go and GT PSP on launch day..

Also, lets hope we hear more about GT5 soon too!

I hope the Top gear content will be in Gran turismo 5 along with the Top gear test track. Would be cool to see it in the PSP version also.

Yeah, the Top Gear test track is one of the main reasons for me getting 5, so hopefully this game has that and the Suzuki liana, and Stig’s times for us to beat!

Gamester101 10 June, 2009 @ 14:54

Awesome! I need GT5 + GTPSP now though :[

Demos will be available in the PlayStation Store ?

You should have asked him if GT5 has confirmed crash damage for all cars (not just racing cars) and if the game will be out this century.

James Gallagher 10 June, 2009 @ 15:53
9.1

He didn’t want to talk about GT5 at E3, although I have heard him say in other interviews that they still have 2009 in their sights.

Killa_Cobra_ST 10 June, 2009 @ 15:04

GT5 and GT PSP are gonna be brilliant… cant wait!

The Top Gear race track will be so awesome in GT5 cant wait to challenge the STIG :D

I was blown away with the amount of detail shown on the PSP version of GT, how they could cram so much racing goodness for the PSP is beyond me.

Not to mention 800 cars! :)

James Gallagher 10 June, 2009 @ 15:55
11.1

Yes, I was quite amazed at the range of cars and tracks available too. And you always know that a collection put together by Kazunori is that of a true motoring enthusiast.

this will own my psp…

Looks awesome….I’d rather own it as a psn download than a UMD, even if my psp is the 2000.

RagingWhisky 10 June, 2009 @ 15:45

@E-Role

[JohnSketch]

Whenever I’ve played Gran Turismo (from 3 onwards) i’ve always liked to pretend that the driver inside the vehicle is The Stig =)

I can’t wait for this game to be running on my PSP. It just looks amazing, as does GT5.

majesticbeastt 10 June, 2009 @ 16:00

I have to ask did he still have the ghetto translator who didnt give a damn?

James Gallagher 10 June, 2009 @ 16:03
17.1

Ha! I did see that meme on various sites – it made me laugh (I still refuse to lol!). Actually I know that guy quite well now and he is more than Kazunori’s translator; he is a member of the Polyphony Digital team who also speaks very good English.

He owns (or at least used to) a Ford GT.
According to his Wikipedia page a even owns 2 as well as a Honda S2000, a Nismo 350Z a Porsche GT3 and an Benz SL55. Which probably accounts for more than half a million € I think… o_O

thanks for interview!

i wait this game… Hope the game will be perfectly!

majesticbeastt 10 June, 2009 @ 18:11

Ok thx James for answering that looking good your lucky you got a hands on i was really surprised that its coming 1 october. Other question though seeing as sony is releasing the psp go is there any indication we will get a other payment option instead of cc.

Icarus_Immortal 10 June, 2009 @ 20:52

Sorry for the off topic now, but I still have problem with the Cuboid DLC, even though I downloaded the newly released patch.
I still can’t download or upload any levels, so I just wanted to highlight this problem here.

On topic: still can’t wait for all the upcoming PSP games coming, and I’m seriously considering buying a PSP Go to replace my old, fat PSP-1000!

Greatly appreciate all the updates on this blog, and keep giving us PlayStation love!

No problem with the sound… I think i get the world´s biggest shock! Hehe

This will be the first game I download onto my PSP Go :D

-Ad-

paintballjoe 10 June, 2009 @ 23:14

Thanks for the interview, I’m really looking forward too this. The previous instalments are the only games I could ever call flawless- Developers should look to them for inspiration. Make a game to the best of the consoles ability and only release it when it is perfect :) (only if they all did that :D)

Takehaniyasubiko 11 June, 2009 @ 09:47

Yamauchi-san, you rock! Don’t ever listen to those Forza team [DELETED]

WarlordKratos 11 June, 2009 @ 10:35

On Qnet was a poll wich game is the better one, GT 5 or Forza3
On the off.
Forzamotorsportsite they wrote;

“Vote for Forza Motorsport3 Now to Receive a Free Unicorn!
Hey all. Apparently, CNET.com is having a face-off between Forza and GT.
We all know which game is we’d like to see win, so go here:
And vote for Forza Motorsport 3! Afterwards, come to this thread and post a message letting us know you’ve done it.
We’ll gift you a random unicorn! It’s that easy. Do it now! Cheers..”

That is LAME and this action from the Forza team show how
they really are. If you cant beat GT then buy your votes. :-(

GT is and GT 5 will be the ultimate driving simulation game on consols, and Forza? Forza will never beat GT…..never.

Kazunori Yamauchi,I salute you, you and Hideo Kojima are Godlike gamedevelopers, no Forza no Sam Fisher cant beat both of you,
I mean this.

Show full comment

On Qnet was a poll wich game is the better one, GT 5 or Forza3
On the off.
Forzamotorsportsite they wrote;

“Vote for Forza Motorsport3 Now to Receive a Free Unicorn!
Hey all. Apparently, CNET.com is having a face-off between Forza and GT.
We all know which game is we’d like to see win, so go here:
We’ll gift you a random unicorn! It’s that easy. Do it now! Cheers..”

That is LAME and this action from the Forza team show how
they really are. If you cant beat GT then buy your votes. :-(

I mean this.

GT 5 will be the best of the GT games and will be better than the best GT game yes even better than GT3. :-)

October can’t come soon enough! :)

Ragnarok-NZ 11 June, 2009 @ 11:07

I was wondering, the US will get this game on October 1st along with the launch of the PSP Go via PSN, Will Europe be getting this game at the launch of the PSP go as well? Thanks

James Gallagher 11 June, 2009 @ 11:22
28.1

Yes, GT PSP will be available in Europe from October 1 and you will be able to enjoy it on PSPgo from launch.

TimoTheThug 11 June, 2009 @ 12:02

I think he drives the new Nissan GT-R he fell in love with that car so :p

“I think he drives the new Nissan GT-R he fell in love with that car so”

Little more than drives it as PD designed the computer interface and menus.

His GT-R is getting updated from the 07 version to 09 according with another interview,lucky git :)

@26 WarlordKratos.

That poll was shut down by Cnet because of all the improper things the Forza Team were doing. Even so I think Gt won the poll anyway :)

please can you allow control with a real joypad too as in Resistance, for the love of grud don’t make me have to use that horrible nubby thing to drive. that would be a game breaker as far as i’m concerned.

Craving for some GT!

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history