Posted

VidZone Lands On PlayStation 3 Today

VidZone logo

Hey! My name is Ben and I’m the Head of Production at VidZone. We are all incredibly excited to launch our new on-demand music video streaming service free on PS3 and PSP (via Remote Play) today at 4pm in Europe; that’s 3pm for blog readers in the UK.

VidZone will be available for free download from PlayStation Store in UK, Ireland, France, Italy, Germany, Spain and Australia. As well as having access to 1000s of music videos which you can watch whenever you want and fast forward/rewind/pause, and create playlists, I am happy to let you know of some great exclusives for launch in my first post here on SCEE’s PlayStation.Blog.

Ahead of E3 we interviewed ultra cool band, Kasabian and got exclusive access behind the scenes of their new video “Where Did All The Love Go”.

Kasabian on VidZone, Group

Kasabian on VidZone

Not only do we have exclusive behind the scenes footage, but for launch we are showcasing a WORLD exclusive live version of their Processed Beats video. You will only see the full videos on VidZone.

Oh, and for all who suspect we will be catering for just you pop loving people only… think again! VidZone is launching with over 10,000 music videos, 4,000 artists, 2 Major and thousands of Independent labels, across 12 main genres. You will find all your favourite acts including Metallica, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, System Of A Down, Oasis, The Killers, Kings of Leon, 50 cent, Eminem, Kanye, Jay-Z, Aphex Twin, Rage Against The Machine and Pearl Jam as well as Lady GaGa, Britney, Beyonce, Leona Lewis, Sneaky Sound System, Jamiroquai, Justin Timberlake…and tonnes of dance acts from Ministry of Sound and other huge global stars like Tiesto, Fatboy Slim, Maura Picotto, Eric Prydz, Armand van Helden, Basshunter, Freemasons and more! We will be adding loads of videos all the time so if you can’t find your favourite video to start with it shouldn’t be long for us to get it so keep checking back and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Watch this space for info on video updates and all other aspects of the service. We have some very exciting things planned over the coming weeks and months which you will definitely want to hear about.

Ben

VidZone - Black Eyed Peas

Lady GaGa on VidZone

VidZone - Kings of Leon

632 Comments
59 Author replies
SpikedEffect 11 June, 2009 @ 13:03

Cool stuff, look forward to giving it a try when I get home from work, looks awesome though!

Youlikeyams 11 June, 2009 @ 13:03

^Grow up, whoever has probably written “first”.

VidZone looks brilliant; piped Last.fm to the post on 360 too! Bring on this afternoon!

Do you know when will vidzone be launched in Portugal?

@hdplsa

Probleble Never!

singularity0821 11 June, 2009 @ 13:05

Great, do you already know when it’s coming to the rest of Europe?

It’d be really good if we could share playlists like in Spotify, browsing other peoples recommendations or sending a playlist to a friend would be a good feature I feel.

Psicojacorral 11 June, 2009 @ 13:05

Goooooooood!!!

The word “First” should result in an automatic ban!

Anyway, looking forward to this – video quality looks great and since Youtube has blocked the UK from watching all the official music videos this could be a great replacement :)

Great exclusive with Kasabian and good to see a good mix of non-pop acts as well.

great, congratulations PSN thats a really good feature.

JesteR17011 11 June, 2009 @ 13:07

You better have tons of 80s videos!

metallica? nirvana? foof fighters?
ok! count me in!

Good luck on the launch guys :)

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 13:59
13.1

Thanks!

Sweet.

JohnnyCullenBUP 11 June, 2009 @ 13:09

Radiohead?

Please dear god say I can swoon over Thom Yorke with this :(

Why not in Norway ?. This is a huge rip off again. ARRG!

I am very disappointed, I was looking forward for this, and the only thing this release does, is to make a lot of people angry.

Again and again,

dillonradio 11 June, 2009 @ 13:10

I’ll reserve judgement until I see the content… I hope it’s not just mainstream tastes that are catered for.

Very nice… I can’t wait :)

another great news, thanks Ben.
Can’t wait to download!

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 13:59
19.1

No problem, Not long to wait now I hope you like it!

Sounds great. I too am hoping for mucho Radiohead. Oooh and Pixies. Lots and lots of Pixies.

Also: can’t we permaban people who write “First?” and nothing else?

Why isn’t it launched in all of Europe? The excuse given before about problems in “sourcing local advertising that is relevant and appropriate” sounds really lame, at least for Northern Europe (Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway).

Do you have a roadmap when Vidzone is being deployed to rest of Europe?

Cool. Too bad it isn’t available in PORTUGAL… :(

Used to access VidZone via my NTL cable connection. There was a good eclectic mix of videos then and from the above post the mix seems to have improved. Looking forward to trying this out tonight.

pillaysteven 11 June, 2009 @ 13:13

Excellent :). Cannot wait! I have a few questions though.

Is it possible to stream the music without the videos?

Is there music without videos on the service?

Are there any plans to make music streaming available while playing a game? Offline game that is as it would create lag for an online game.

Anyway can’t wait to try it out!

@SneakGuy

We ar use to i’t for Sony to letting us down! They can not advertise this stuff good, they promes somthing and then is goint to be limeted where i’ts going to launche sony is pretty good for back stabbing other country’s wo ar idiots.

Good job!! i doubt it will cater for my music tastes but obviously it will for many, i think its decent you kept it free, could have easily slapped a yearly subscription fee on it… all we need now is the movie one :-)

Yeah! I hope that this will be in Poland :D

@Haraldo

Wait abbout a year :D

Oh man, I was really looking forward to this… but no launch in Belgium? Guess I’ll have to be patient for a while longer.

Good news ! Very good feature !
I’m expecting to see it this evening !

will you be able to listen to the music in game or whilst browsing through the xmb and internet?

i can’t wait it looks and sounds great

the way it looks in those pictures looks amazing

will you be adding interviews as well over the coming weeks/months/years?

and maybe a feature to show the top 50 watched videos in the last week??

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:16
32.1

Thanks! The service will be full of custom picked editorial to keep everyone happy, from playlists to charts to exclusive videos and interviews to live performances and more. All ideas for editorial features are very welcome i will be checking back frequently to get inspiration from all of you who suggest!

ADPolicenaut 11 June, 2009 @ 13:19

What about just going to YouTube via the PS3’s web browser?

@Deemerman

No we wont take i’t longer with this We have waited too long for a good service like this, Tand out you’re rights people. And fight.

Can you please tell us about VidZone and rest of Europe? If we will get it and if so, when?

I am looking forward to this!

Regards,
Sitron_NO

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:13
35.1

There are a few reasons mainly to do with advertising which means we can’t roll it out everywhere in one go. But we are already looking at ways to roll it out to more territories in the future. We want everyone to enjoy this service so want to get it live everywhere as soon as we can.

Rest assured the blog community will be the first to know when we have more territories to announce so keep checking back for exciting news.

imajinetion 11 June, 2009 @ 13:21

What the fudge? Seven countries? Why do you launch a service in just seven countries, one not even being part of Europe. I thought this european blog would bring ALL europeans good stuff, but apparently, it’s hard to do that too.

It looks awesome! I’m very excited about this and looking forward to trying it out as soon as I get home from work.

@gamefreak2

Sony will get a lot more UK PSN users now I think….

Sony will soon have a higher number of PSN account than the number of sold PS3 !.

so still nothing for us norwegians?… oh well

BritishBlue 11 June, 2009 @ 13:25

Thank you Sony Europe, this is quite an amazing triumph you’ve pulled off. I appreciate your efforts and this announcement reassures me that I made the right choice in buying a PS3.

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:01
40.1

Thanks, We are very proud of the service and sure you will all be big fans. Enjoy

serendipiddy 11 June, 2009 @ 13:26

I wonder.. will you be able to log on to other coutries stores to download it..? that might have to be an option for the angry portugese and hungarians.

Yay, vidzone, will check it out later today (assuming aus means nz too.. as we do share everything else on the store..)

Looking forward to it, thanks!

I am very excited about this new service I have always wanted music videos on demand. Please can I request the following artists are added if they are not there at launch?

1) Tina Cousins
25) The Orb
26) Neneh Cherry
27) Evanesance
28) Bob Siclar
29) Betty Boo
30) C&C Music Factory

I know it’s a long list but they are some of my favs!

Many thanks Vidzone

25) The Orb
26) Neneh Cherry
27) Evanesance
28) Bob Siclar
29) Betty Boo
30) C&C Music Factory

I know it’s a long list but they are some of my favs!

Many thanks Vidzone

Andy!

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:08
42.1

I think you will be pleasantly suprised, any that we are missing we are working on as I type to get for your viewing pleasure.

As much as I appreciate the effort to add new features, I really bothers me the way things are implemented.

Now with the launch of Vidzone, it becomes apparent that the situation for Europe is again a mixed bag. Only some countries will have access to Vidzone, leaving out quite some countries.

Also most (if not all) EU PSN-stores lack content and a logical layout when compared to the US PSN-store. And of course we’re still missing out on PSN-vouchers (or a decent workaround) here in the EU.

It would be greatly appreciated when SCEE would take some real action to solve these issues. Or when proven to be more complicated, at least communicate about those issues in a more open fashion. This blog is a great start already.

Thanks.

FreeLanZerDK 11 June, 2009 @ 13:27

[DELETED] Does this mean it won’t be available in Denmark?

Will Vidzone in Russia?

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:19
45.1

Not yet Herepoler. Bloggers will be first to know when we announce new countries for the service so keep checking back!

How big will the download be any hint please?

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:09
46.1

Not very big at all, will take seconds to download on a decent internet connection.

BritishBlue 11 June, 2009 @ 13:32

@42
Hahah, are you serious?! Of course the British Isles are part of Europe! Sony were right to release Vidzone over here because a sizable chunk of their european customers are here too.

looking forward to trying this later on thank you for this service sony

AT LAST something the americans dont have hahaha its a shame the whole of europe cant have vidzone yet.. but remember guys/gals this is on trial in big countries to see if its successful or not keep your heads up you should receive it soon & one more thing why put FIRST and not add anything thats very immature and shouldn’t be done. …………..LAST…………..

FreeLanZerDK 11 June, 2009 @ 13:34

We need official confirmation on the specific countries it will be available in and which it wont be.

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:11
50.1

The official launch territories are UK, Ireland, Spain, France, Germany, Italy and Australia. Keep checking back here for any news for new countries.

Will the videos be in Hi-Def/HQ?

(apologies if this has already been said)

Looks good regardless :)

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:27
51.1

Hey DWron03

All videos are standard definition at the moment but look really good even on all those massive LCD screens im sure everyone has. We are really proud of the quality of the videos on the service i hope you will be impressed too. Keep posted for any further announcements though.

xKillerMonkeyx 11 June, 2009 @ 13:35

This is great, another amazing reason to use the PS3, beats searching through YouTube thats for sure, high quality, free and direct to your PS3, amazing.

Will the videos be downloadable to your HDD?

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:23
52.1

Not Yet xKillerMonkeyx. you can download videos, audio and realtones to your mobile for a small charge in the UK so far but we have lots of things planned which will be announced first for you bloggers.

GI_JANE_007 11 June, 2009 @ 13:35

Why is The Netherlands excluded from this!!! This sucks big time!!

+1 FTW to SCEE for this one, sure it’s not movie / tv downloads but this is perfect for house parties and will see me no longer using those advert riddled channels on SKY!

….and it’s FREE!

Keep up the good work.

toolfan2007 11 June, 2009 @ 13:38

Sweet, will check out tonight after I come home from work along with all the other goodies on PS Store!

LAST.

cool merci sony !!!

really excited ´bout it..hope it will hold the promises it makes :)

but i think this will be one of the coolest features the PS3 got…

think i will love it

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:29
58.1

Thanks Samarotu! You won’t be dissapointed!

Cool, this will be getting a lot of use by me :D

-Ad-

Why not in Denmark?

OMG I was so looking forward to this and my PS3 died one week ago from YLOD *cries*

God, Sony, start treating us, Portuguese people better, most of our gamers have your consoles.

Seven countries? Are you kidding me?! You’ve got complaints before about this, that you’re not launching this service in all of europe and by reading all of these comments from dissapointed users i’d say you didn’t even read all of the criticism you guys got last time.

We are not entertained.

i wonder will it do different genres like house and happy hardcore

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:36
64.1

We have thousands of video in all different genres, and if we havent got the video you want to start with, i’m sure we will soon!

I can’t wait! :D
I’ve been looking forward to using this service since it was announced way back at Leipzig.

Congratulations to the Vidzone team for finally getting it out! :)

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:38
65.1

Thanks BAZ1307, We have worked really hard to give everyone a service that they can really enjoy.

Channel_Z_NL 11 June, 2009 @ 13:45

Hello Ben,
It’s nice to hear that Vidzone is coming to psn today.
But what I still don’t understand is why scee is not launching it for the rest of europe.
SCEE means Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, So why is it Benelux and the rest of the other country’s are left out again?
Please explain why…

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:40
66.1

Thanks for your comment Channel_Z_NL

As i commented before, there are a few reasons mainly to do with advertising which means we can’t roll it out everywhere in one go. But we are already looking at ways to roll it out to more territories in the future’ We want everyone to enjoy this service so want to get it live everywhere as soon as we can.

Ben

with these two words “Aphex Twin”, I was sold.

Looking forward to seeing a bit of hi-def Cornish madness from Richard D James.

Any Squarepusher/other Warp stuff per chance?

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:40
67.1

Hey pabloamigo

I think you will be pleasantly surprised ;)

i also wonder will there be a age block or something on it as im 28 i want to listen to the song properly

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:43
68.1

Hi Neon_420

The service has content suitable for users over 16 which means we have to take a few offensive videos out but you should still find most of the videos you want. Hope that helps.

@47 – this is because of the multiple law sets with the eu, its not like other regions that have 1 or 2 law sets, every country in the EU has an independent law set, so live with it.

This is a positive addition to the ps3, but one i wont be using. So good on ya SCEE.

xxpathfinderxx 11 June, 2009 @ 13:51

I’m so excited:-D
Just one hour left *thumbs up*

why not gambe1

No word on Muse yet (starting to get nervous).

But really, this looks like being a great new feature. :)

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:48
72.1

Hi foubman

Muse isnt actually going to be live for launch as the label they are signed to we are still in negotiations with. We hope to have their catalogue available shortly. But never fear, you will find enough similar content to be getting on with until that point.. i promise!

wiktorclunk 11 June, 2009 @ 13:53

Yeah! I hope that this will be in Poland

Will it have Rammstein videos?

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:50
74.1

possibly… ;) actually yes.. yes there will.

kool-chris93 11 June, 2009 @ 13:56

This is going to be brilliant :)

excited as!!! Bring it on! From Australia

elephant_stone 11 June, 2009 @ 14:00

This is something I have been waiting for ages for! Well done in making it a reality!

Any news on how us “independent” label owners can submit material???

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 14:59
77.1

Good point elephant_stone, we would love to hear from anyone who has videos that they would likeon the service

Email licensing@vidzone.tv with any enquires. There is a few things you will need in order for us to get your video live but i will leave it to our brilliant licensing team to explain all.

eihtyFIRST? :D

anyhow, I’m curious about tech specs (bitrates used, resolutions etc) and will it be IP blocked? I really hope not.

@stone

I didn’t know you were a music mogul mate?

This could be the best thing SONY have added to the PS3. I say could because with a local download speed of 1.64MB/s I’ll be very disappointed if there is any buffering/pauses. I’m assuming SONY will have dedicated servers in Australia?

Is this going to be IP blocked for those not in the listed regions? I hope so cos it’s nice for Europe to be thrown a bone for a change and will be annoying if US peeps and make an EU account and have it for themselves

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:06
81.1

Hi BenchyUK

VidZone is initially launching in UK, France, Italy, Spain, Ireland, Australia and Germany and only these countries will be able to use the application – there is IP detection in place.

When will it get to Norway?

Does this mean I will no longer be able to access Vidzone.tv via my PS3 browser? That is unfortunate.

Stadionfeger 11 June, 2009 @ 14:14

good luck for the launch and thanks in advance for this =]

Will the hole store be updated @ 4pm?

Good work guys!

Why is Vidzone not available in The Netherlands?

Greatest news of the day :D Thanks soooo much

(by any chance, will there be some Nightwish ? i love symphonic metal :D)

Thanks & good luck :)

Thanks SCEE ^^

I doubt that “the law” has anything to do with it.

SERIOUS LIKE 36 MINS AND COUNTING, IT BETTER BE WORTH IT ARGH!!!. I’m Impaitient

Very cool service.. I’m jealous..

FreeLanZerDK 11 June, 2009 @ 14:25

Will us who have been utterly ripped off by SCEE not even get a decent PS Store update today then?

swcoruscant 11 June, 2009 @ 14:28

3pm! Everyone will go on and PSN will crash probably lol
No it wont’t, I’m just kidding, PSN rocks! (Xbox Live sucks! lol)

This is a great service, nice to see us Europeans getting more stuff that the American’s don’t. They’ve had it too good for far too long :)

Will you get any classic Pink Floyd stuff?

Great ^^

I can’t wait to go back home and see if there’s a lot of 70’s and 80’s rock videos :D

And if you have included some from Ayreon or Ten (Gary Hughes’ group) :D

And Mike Oldfield, and Bruce Springsteen… arggg…. I wan’t to go home now and see!!!

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:07
95.1

Hey Wiwo

good choice! i think you will like what you find!

First post on Euro blog…did not even know there was one! Well…VIDZONE looks cool…i will check it out tonight.

now i have to watch two blogs US and Euro!

DTS_MAN

Looks awesome, definitely downloading it, heard its only 20MB? It should be added to the XMB like the photo album in the next FW update so people who never look at the Store know about it, then it can be downloaded from their. Just a thought.

@Ben Creasey

You mean by keep cheking about a year?

I hope this service comes to Sweden soon. To bad that only a few of the european contries receive this.

Seems that Europe has only about 5 countries in it. -_-

This service is gonna be a big hit! I hope you guys are working on getting this to America. Anyway congrats to the the lucky Europeans, it’s true you guys do get shafted a lot so it’s not like I can complain. I’m still jealous though.

3 goods reasons to go on the psn-store 1, VIDZONE 2, COD-5 map pack-2 & 3, burnout-p island add-on im shock to say well done SCEE. :)

AlexiusYind 11 June, 2009 @ 14:39

Still sucks I have to use a UK account. Get the store and the rest of the content across all of Europe, guys! It’s really not fair. :(

@94: Not that it doesn’t suck, but “Seriously SCEE, stating 45mins before launch that, “Oh btw, you ain’t getting nothing!” is horrible marketing.” is just woefully inaccurate. They’ve been stating since this thing was announced that you ain’t getting nothing.

so it tries to cater for all types of music lovers but i bet it wont have any True dance music ie Scot Project….suppose Tiesto is better than nout!

This is amazing!! Can’t wait to download this!! Excellent job!!!
Just hope it will hit the Netherlands soon.
I will keep checking back here…:)

And as usual Swedish PS3-fans gets f****d in the *ss and are left out of every cool future, surprised we got Home.

@73 – ive got mtv etc and music on demand on my tv already. So i have no requirement for it, still, its a good service to have if you havent.

IrishWarrior1 11 June, 2009 @ 14:43

Yeah cant wait for this you tube is ok but this looks much better!!!

waiting to prove vidzone!

BEN CREASY (just for attention not shouting)

Which major labels do you have? And if you don’t have all of them, will you be adding them, as I’ve seen on your website you have deals with the Big4?

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:14
111.1

Hey sully1311

We have 2 of the 4 majors (see if you can spot which ones are missing;)). We are in negotiaion with the ones that are missing and hope to have them live for your viewing pleasure shortly.

Ben thank you so much for your reply, so nice that you guys are listening to us. I can’t wait for 3pm now! Are you going to have a shuffle type facility and a suggested play list taken from the type of music the user likes to listen to? Thanks again Andy

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:16
112.1

Hey rigney

There are many ways to find and queue and play content. Either queue up one of our playlists or pick just the videos you want in the order you want, then search for any other you think are missing and add them then save it as your own personal playlist. simple as that!

Are the videos in HD?

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:18
113.1

Hi Clockender

All videos are SD currently but look great even on all HD TV’s, whatever size. Keep checking back for further developments!

not released in Finland :( And are there still any news on that Video Store in Europe? That was promised like a year ago in E3?

Hi Ben, any plans to synergise this with a ‘Buy it Now’ button so you can download the tune as an mp3 from the PSN store?

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:20
115.1

There are many plans to develop the service further, we will let you know as soon as we finalise anything.

SONY. I love you all for this great service.

@Clockender : No not HD, but should be good SD quality, like TV

Less than 10 minutes and here we go. I just can’t wait. I hope this service fulfils my needs.

Thanks Sony for this service.

The videos are DVD quality. HD should be an option for those with fast internet.

With SONY’S heavy handed approach to censorship, I hope Vidzone isn’t ruined?

Stadionfeger 11 June, 2009 @ 14:53

yeah, 7mins to go :D

@Sully – Cheers!!

So can I just download it from UK account? There will be IP checking? :D

Stadionfeger 11 June, 2009 @ 14:54

yes, there will be ip checking.
like europe and the videostore :P

Any FUNK? for FUNKPOWER? James Brown? etc? Pleaseeeee give me a reason to download this. Thanks.

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:23
124.1

hi funkpower

Great choice.. You wont be dissapointed i dont think ;)

Stadionfeger 11 June, 2009 @ 14:56

4mins to go! =D

I’ve seen screenshots and videos in both 4:3 and 16:9, so does any1 know what format it will be in or is it a mixture of both

Well, turning my PS3 on!!!

(^^.)/

Bilbo_bobbins 11 June, 2009 @ 14:58

this looks the nutty nut nuts.

Has it got Elbow on it?

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:35
128.1

Hey Bilbo

Elbow might be there somewhere! take a look and find out ;)

@Bilbo – I think Vidzone has a deal with Universal (whom elbow are with) so i would guess so!

Any Country music for my friend CountryBaz?

I have it and I love it!!!!

Is it on the Store now?

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:36
132.1

Hi TRS-T

Yep! Go to “latest” and you will find it

Stadionfeger 11 June, 2009 @ 15:03

not released yet

Thanks for the info ben, J

ust gotta say thanks to everyone involved with this blog, its a great service your providing.:)

Last time I checked, Europe was a continent containing a few dozen countries instead of 7. Hell, there are even more members of that god awful institution, the EU, and yet SCEE manages to provide the service to 7 countries. Great work.

Note: SCEE really need to talk to the Network guys of SCEA, they’re doing an amazing job with PSN in the US, up to the point where you could say that the US version of PSN is better than Xbox Live.

I must say i’m impressed with including Australia as one of the fist for this feature.
WELL DONE :)
I will support this fully.
Usually, 99% of the time we either get left out or one of the last ones..*sigh.
Still waiting for Movies on PSN thou.
Any news on that?

Just a thought,
Microsoft brought out their Video service in 06 (by mem) for the US. And everybody else suffered.
Aus will (hopefully) get it at the end of 09.
Now, 3yrs to bring a major service like that is unacceptable, in my books.
Hopefully, The PSN DOESN’T take that long.
I cant wait, to support this feature.
Beats paying late fees,lol

Once again, AWESOME job.
xoxo
Playstation3 lovin

Show full comment

WELL DONE :)
I will support this fully.
Usually, 99% of the time we either get left out or one of the last ones..*sigh.
Still waiting for Movies on PSN thou.
Any news on that?

Just a thought,
Aus will (hopefully) get it at the end of 09.
Now, 3yrs to bring a major service like that is unacceptable, in my books.
Hopefully, The PSN DOESN’T take that long.
I cant wait, to support this feature.
Beats paying late fees,lol

Once again, AWESOME job.
xoxo
Playstation3 lovin

erm…..what can those without a PS3 but just a PSP do to get this service…..bearing in mind that the PS3 is like way outta my current balance

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:41
137.1

Hey Razgriz375

You need a PS3 to use this on your PSP via remoteplay, but please keep checking back here for news!

@Linconan = Andrew House (Head of SCEE) said movie store coming by the end of the year in an interview so i would guess it would be in australia the same time

This flocking sucks! Regards from Norway.

FreeLanZerDK 11 June, 2009 @ 15:09

#139
Dream on, just like Vidzone will be released in what SCEE thinks is Europe (7 countries -_-)…

Its on now

downloading 23mb

Its 3:10 here in the UK. Where’s VidZone? I thought it was out at 3:00 here.

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:42
143.1

Hey hutton

Go to the store and then to “latest” and you will find it there.

Hope that helps

Stadionfeger 11 June, 2009 @ 15:11

dont lie

It’s early!

Stadionfeger 11 June, 2009 @ 15:11

its not out yet

I don’t see it yet, computer says 4:11 p.m.

As usual the Sony forgets that Poland belongs to Europe.
!!
!!
!!

@sully1311,
I hope so, that would be an amazing accomplishment.

SpiderMike_X 11 June, 2009 @ 15:13

It’s not on for me, yet.

It’s ON on the French PSN. Just Go on Other > Application and it’s in (23 MB)

ChrisUK26324 11 June, 2009 @ 15:13

meh, still not here =\

Downloading now :D

InfamousPsy21 11 June, 2009 @ 15:14

hiphop, rnb?

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:47
154.1

Hey InfamousPsy21

loads and loads! go check it out!

Stadionfeger 11 June, 2009 @ 15:14

not available for germany yet =(

FreeLanZerDK 11 June, 2009 @ 15:15

God damn I’m mad at how SCEE acts like they don’t care about the rest of Europe.

Its up in Spain. “otros contenidos -> Aplicacion” downloading now, yay!

InfamousPsy21 – Yes there looks like there will be lots of it.

Man you have to be kidding… How many times will Sony screw us again… Don’t you guys get it… more countries–>more visitors–>more advertising–> more money…

Europe is not only UK, Ireland, France, Italy, Germany, Spain and Australia…

I understand Europe is devided into a lot of countries with different rules and guidelines, but hey if everybody else can do it (app store!) why won’t Sony ain’t possible?

It’s time for you guys to see Europe is the market of the future and is growing really fast. So do you job and bring de pre-paid cards, Vidzone, the video store and a equal HOME to [DELETED] Europe!

sigh…

Stadionfeger 11 June, 2009 @ 15:15

oh, now its on! YES!

I can’t work out how to go full screen, can someone help???

161.1

Just press the Select button :)

Sign out of PSN and then log back in. It should then display on the PS Store

Psicojacorral 11 June, 2009 @ 15:16

Here not

why I live in Hungary…? :(

Downloaded it! Yaaay!! :)

I pray there’s some Matt & Kim on there…but I doubt it. :(

its up, have already downloaded, I’ve had to free up 396mb of space to run it

Psicojacorral 11 June, 2009 @ 15:18

Here yes

Only 2 songs of Nightwish :( But well, there is Nemo :D

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:49
168.1

Hey Nemhome.

There will be videos added all the time so keep an eyeout for updates. hope there is enough to keep you interested until then!

Thank you!

Good for those who get it! :P

There are actually 50 sovereign states in Europe… not just 6!

You say you’re looking in to it and want to launch in all Europe. Now I do believe you want to but that just sounds like it never will happen. Like with PlayTV. Can you guarantee that it will launch elsewhere in Europe?

Wow its ace. Music plays instantly. I thought you would have to wait for it to loads, but nope, plays instant!!

Hum quick question : it the option menu, there seems to be the option to download (not free i suppose) the song. Will it be / is it available ?

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:52
173.1

Hey Nemhome

You will be able to download to your mobile in the UK only from launch but we are working hard to roll this out over all territories. We have loads of things planned in the future so keep your eyes here for all updates!

This is suposed to be a release for Europe, if so, why release it if u cant even do it for all the countries?
wouldnt it be better to delay it and release for all of europe at the same time? that way we wouldnt have ppl here complaining about it

Sony… why ? why are you doing this? cant you see that i hurts your rep?
And the stupid post by some british guy hoping for ip-detection, so that the rest of eu cant access… why ?

Im not a hardcore gamer, i use PS3 as an entertainment system. play a little games, watch movies and so on. But it soon looks like 360 is a more suitable system. Especially if you guys keep letting us down..

A sad thursday…

In ON in SPAIN in the “other contents” section.

VidZone works amazing. The music videos are GREAT quality!

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:53
177.1

Thanks Hutton,

I personally (with my team) encoded all of them so it’s great to know you like the quality.

@ BoneCraKeR

Caga nessa merda pá, já sabes que Portugal é a eterna ovelha negra. Os países todos à nossa volta têm, mas nós não… enfim!

Tenta criar uma conta uk e sacar a ver se dá (o que dúvido).

@175

You all know the reason is down to copyright law. This is why it isn’t launching across all the countries in Europe and is the same reason no one outside America has a vid store.

Yes it sucks if “you don’t get it” but I’m sure they are doing their best to get this out to everyone ASAP.

….getting a 360 won’t get you anyone as they don’t have a music service, I guess you could use the new last.fm feature but you would need a gold account.

@ VitalogyPJ
lol ja saquei da conta uk nao deu ^^
da um erro fatal xD

(eng)
lol alrdy downloaded it from the uk store, didnt work ^^
it gives a Fatal Error xD

Great news! Hope Norway gets to use it soon alsow! Keep up the good work!

It doesn’t work with the Blu-Ray remote.

I’m on a 60GB EU SKU, Italy.

Thanks for everything!

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:32

Hi Everyone.

It’s here!! You can now all become a Music Video Emporer!

I am pleased to announce that VidZone is now available to download on the PlayStation Store! All very exciting i’m sure you will agree! If you go to the PlayStation Store and go to “Latest” section you will be able to get it from there.

Please note that the first install might take a little while as it has to load all those thousands and thousands of videos, don’t worry it will definitely be worth it!

For all of you would like to follow us on twitter, please go to http://www.twitter.com/vidzone to start tweeting what you think of the service.

Thanks for all your great comments so far!

Ben Creasey – Music Video Emperor – VidZone

so if I understand the above posts we can’t go to the UK store and download it? or did noone try it out ?

Is there a time frame for the other countries, like say 1 month, 6months, 1year, 5years …
I would really like to have this, it is amazing but the additude of sony against Europe is awfull.

singularity0821 11 June, 2009 @ 15:32

Why is there IP-detection?!?! I still don’t understand why there is Germany but not Switzerland and Austria – we also speak German so why don’t you use Germany’s ads? :-( And by the way, why isn’t there a search function (which was announced at the time of E3) in the Austrian store?

@179

Copyright law or not, Sony should have negotiated all of this, so the service could be global. They could have waited… But hey ofcourse i am now on the wrong side of the line… If it was the other way round, then sure i would have the calm oversight and say the same things your saying… but now im just annoyed

This is definitely filed in the ‘too good to be true’ category! Free high quality music video service with customisable playlists – you’ve just killed all those Freeview music video channels with this launch!

Will SCEE be actively advertising this – it’s yet another example of a great PS3 feature that most people won’t even know exists (I’ve surprised two PS3 owners with the news already!).

Are there any plans to sneak this into a Firmware update at some point? I think having the icon pre-installed under the Music section for you to select and install directly – like the Photo Gallary, Life with PlayStation, and Home – would make sure it is seen by a much larger audience now and especially in the future when it’s lost in the vastness of the PS Store archive.

P.S. Out of interest are you working on a US launch? I think something like this would be a big hit with the US audience…

Show full comment

P.P.S. Good job on the final design – I remember the original ‘green’ version from the initial promo video and it looked a bit clunky and the videos looked YouTube quality at best in a little window – this final release looks very slick, and if that Lady GaGa shot is anything to go by the fullscreen streaming quality is excellent!

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:57
187.1

Hi Apnomis

Thanks for all your comments, there are loads of things planned (I know i keep saying that, but i cant tell you anything right now) which are very exciting and you will all be the first to know about them.

Stoffinator 11 June, 2009 @ 15:34

How come this isn’t a global feature?

Why is it that on the XMB under my friends list under their names is says Vidzone and has a GAME pad icon next to it. IT IS NOT A GAME SO WHY IS IT REPRESENTED AS ONE ON THE FRIENDS XMB? Surely it would be better to have the music icon next to it. This is one of the msot annoying parts of the PSN, along with Home and PlayTV, they aren’t games, so why are they represented as games in the friends list?

magichdetective 11 June, 2009 @ 15:37

Al Gore just discovered a way to generate power from whinging commenters on the PSN Blog. An upcoming post announcing free in-game voice chat for all territories except Europe is expected to generate enough electricity for a small city.

Thank you! :)))

whats the expected arrival time for the many other countries ? and what about HD content… the ps3 is all about that, too bad about your sd content. (i guess this is more to blame of the actual content providers)

@NickDude – it should be in the Music section. I would try re-installing it

Last time I checked Portugal was part of Europe, but for you it isn’t right? -.-
If you launch something on Europe it should be to all europeans!

@tiaguh_C : i feel for you man, and all other europeans who cant get it

Loving VidZone sony but how comes Dizzee Rascal Bonkers is currently unavilable? and no arctic monkeys?

A few things:

I expected it to take as long as the PlayStation Store to open, it takes several times longer.
Videos skip briefly when jumping through menus.
The text entry carousel scrolls through letters the wrong way (dpad down is more comfortable, this should go A>B)
NO USB/Bluetooth keyboard support?! Why do I have this Bluetooth keypad connected again?
The big left/right scrolling artwork thing doesn’t highlight when highlighted.
Now it’s not letting me in VidZone “An error occurred during the country checking process”.

Sigh.

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 16:01
197.1

Hi Shin-Ra

Thanks for your comments, we will be upgrading and ironing out all little bugs and annoyances in future patches and love to hear what users are thinking about the service.

Funny how SCEE launches VidZone for only 6 european countries. And it’s not like you didn’t have the time to iron out the copyright issues for the whole Europe.

Smoutefretter_BE 11 June, 2009 @ 15:44

just a shame that there isn’t a European gaming law, the same in EVERY country. It would be A LOT BETTER for SCEE and all EU gamers!

1 law, 1 PSStore, 1 vidzone, 1 videostore (when is the videostore comming btw?)

regards and let’s hope this time soon will be soon and not 1 or 2 years!

Awesome work.
HAHAHA, i dont think i’ll get to bed now,lol

JesteR17011 11 June, 2009 @ 15:45

HAHA i cant login. Error…. great….

The sound does not work! I’ve tried reinstalling it but still no luck.

Great stuff i can’t wait to check it out here in greece by 2014

@tiaguh_C: Perhaps we will establish the new continent??
Poland, Portugal… isn’t also a part of Europe (So a position is a Sony)

ArghhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 15:45

Hey all

Sorry its taking a while to answer all your questions, there are loads of you commenting which is awesome! I have to try and answer all your questions while celebrating with the VidZone team with a glass of champagne!

Thanks again for your comments and i will get to all of them shortly.

For everyone who needs some instructions on how to use the service, please go to vidzoneps3.com and you should find it there shortly.

It has IP detection…

xxpathfinderxx 11 June, 2009 @ 15:47

Vidzone is cool so far, but why don’t it support true 16:9 fullscreen?

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 16:04
207.1

Hey pathfinder

Watch this space on this one. A little bird told me this may not be a problem for much longer ;)

Angry-Irishman 11 June, 2009 @ 15:48

it wont load up for me, it says vidzone and the loading bar going back and forth

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 16:06
208.1

Hey Angry-Irishman

Be patient the first time please, all the 1000’s of videos have to load so it might take a little while. Should be fine after you have loaded it once.

D1rk-Knight 11 June, 2009 @ 15:49

I want to say thanks but I can’t because you didn’t add it to the store in my country so there is no reason to say thanks at all.

Anyway hope the people who got it enjoy it & I think I’ll forget about this service since it will not come before 1 or 2 years to our store.

Not to sound insensitive to our European friends that haven’t been included in the launch – but please stop whinging about it in the comments section!

I’m sure SCEE are accutely aware that whenever someone gets something someone else doesn’t the someone else will be annoyed about it. Stamping your feet about it in the comments section isn’t going to get it launched any quicker.

Not to mention the fact this isn’t even all Sony – VidZone Digital Media Ltd stream music and sell ringtones on their website and other mobile networks. SCEE have allowed them to branch out onto the PS3, in the sameway the 360 has allowed Twitter and Facebook, so ranting in the SCEE blog isn’t helping anyone.

Show full comment

VidZone Media have told you what Countries it will launch in, told you why it will only launch in those Countries, and told you they will look at expanding in the future. So continuing to ask “is it coming to X country?” isn’t going to change it. SCEE don’t purposely hold things back for the fun of it you know, I’m sure they’d love this to launch everywhere as much as you would – but business and legal reasons will always come first.

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 16:08
210.1

Thanks Apnomis

All comments are welcome as its great to see what people are thinking. We would love everyone in Europe to have this service but we need to iron out a few things first before we can do that. Rest assured there will be announcements shortly that will please a lot of you.

JesteR17011 11 June, 2009 @ 15:53

Legal reasons = money

Hurrah!, works well, and is a great addition to the ps3 – will be brilliant for summer BBQs etc :D

Hah its awesome that its got a bit of pendulum too, more plz ;)

@sully1311 The actual application is under the Music section of the XMB, but you know on the friends list under the people who are online, it says what they are playing, Eg: Call of Duty 4, and there is a little grey gamepad icon to the left of it, indicating that they are playing a game. The same happens for Vidzone, with a grey gamepad icon next to it under friends’ names. Vidzone is not a game, it is an Application (as made clearly apparent with its listing in this weeks PSN update) so why it is that under friends names it appears next to a gamepad icon. Surely it should be the music symbol? It is so frustrating that something so simple isnt there. The same happens for Playstation Home. We are constantly told that Home is not a game, yet when someone is playing on it, under their name there is a grey gamepad icon in the friends lite. WHY? Surely it should be the home logo. Its so annoying.

Hopefully this makes it over to the USA soon!

Any chance there are music videos from dance tunes on here (ie: Armin van Buuren, Tiesto, etc.)? :D

D1rk-Knight 11 June, 2009 @ 15:55

@Apnomis

I don’t want to say this but I really do hope that you’ll suffer from the same situation that we are in so you can feel with the same feeling of ours.

thanks Ben, I initially thought it was a service for downloading videos, but as it’s streaming, remote play is the best way to do it………hmmm might just steal my friens PS3 and get him to use my account when i visit him. Looks good though. could thee be any super death make your ears bleed metal videos on this……like Slipperyknot (Slipknot obv) and Tron Maiden (Iron Maiden)?

Well done people.
It’s like MTV on demand without the commercial breaks!

Just another failed launch =P I wish that sony would learn a lesson or two from microsoft or nintendo.

How do i select individual tracks from the featured playlists on the homepage?
Do i just have to search for them, or can i quickly go into the list??

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 16:14
219.1

Hey FBZ

go to vidzoneps3.com for the operating manual. If its not there right now, it will be shortly :)

RRR, no VidZone for Holland. :'(

FreeLanZerDK 11 June, 2009 @ 15:58

#210
What a surprise that this should come from someone who actually has access to this service.

And by the way you can please all you want but there’s something called Freedom of Speech mate.

I’d rather have SCEE give some official answers to when we can expect it rolled out in Europe and if they are going to limit it for some countries or if they are going to act like they normally do and release it in the US before the rest of Europe has it.

@NickDude- soz get what you mean now. Does it really matter? just small nitpickings i suppose

Now I reset my PS3 and deleted the VidZone cache from the GAME(?) category and VidZone’s starting up ok again.

thegreatherron 11 June, 2009 @ 16:00

Really like this but the only complaints I have is that the search is way too slow and sluggish… It needs keyboard input also.
Along with this the ads are kind of annoying, I keep clicking on them by accident and having to wait until vidzone loads up again after being taken to the store.

When these are fixed it will be an excellent service!

Ben Creasey 11 June, 2009 @ 16:16
224.1

Hey thegreatherron

Thanks for the comments, we really do take these into account so they are all very welcome.

SpiderMike_X 11 June, 2009 @ 16:01

I’m just getting error after error thrown at me.

Failed at EULA process
Failed to detect region
Failed during Update process

Then when I click retry it just bounces between all three so I have to quit the application.

Then I try again and the same thing.

Nice app, Sony. Nice.

I agree pretty sweet service guys, only a wee complaint which is the search bar, we should be able to type it would be much easier and quick

If this is sorted well its perfect

People should just be patient they could have delayed it until the end of the year and released it in a lot more European country’s but what would have been the point in that? They are working on it and if it don’t happen it was never gonna happen it’s not that they don’t care it’s the fact that its not a viable option. People gotta remember there’s licenses and advertising wrapped up in this wonderful app and they can’t be just signed off overnight and sometimes they can’t be done at all.

I am kinda disapointed that Belgium is again considered the bastard little half-brother of France, Germany and the Netherlands.

I’m not asking for videoclips from Stellla, Girls in Hawaii or Tupperwavre, I’d just like to have access to the service, period.

It’s enough as it is that we don’t even get a choice of language for anything on the Store. I am FOREVER THANKFUL I don’t live in Flanders because I wouldn’t have a choice but to download flemish trailers I wouldn’t even understand. I can settle with french subtitles or dubs on every trailer I download, but most of the time I’d really rather have the original English material.

Furthermore, can we have a “French (Belgium)” keyboard layout? NO, it’s not the same as “French (France)” or “French (Canada)”

I think that’s enough ranting for Belgium for the day…