Posted

Uncharted 2 – Meet Nathan, Elena and Chloe

In case you missed these great updates over at PlayStation.Blog.US from the last couple of days, Jeff met up with three of the actors from Uncharted 2: Among Thieves at E3 for a quick interview and chat about the game.

Nolan North provides Nathan Drake’s voice, and is a videogame voiceover regular with Prince of Persia, Assassin’s Creed, God of War amongst the, well, loads of other games he’s contributed to throughout his career. ER’s Emily Rose returns to Uncharted 2: Among Thieves as journalist Elena Fisher and sci-fi fans will no doubt recognise Claudia Black of Farscape, Pitch Black and Stargate SG-1 fame, who plays the role of newcomer Chloe Frazier.

Over to Jeff:

Meet Nathan Drake: Uncharted 2’s Nolan North

It’s very unusual to meet someone you feel like you already know. I got that chance a couple of weeks ago, when I ran into Nolan North at the PlayStation Booth during the final hours of E3. If the name’s not familiar (or his face), perhaps his voice will – North is the talent behind the witty remarks of Uncharted‘s Nathan Drake.

Now North is a bit of a talker, but if you’ve got a few minutes, he’s got some interesting insights on the role of actual acting in video games, and how Naughty Dog gets such great results out of their voiceover stars for the Uncharted series.

Next up: An interview with the ladies of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

Meet the Women of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Near the end of yesterday’s Nolan North interview, a number of people dropped in to give Mr. Nathan Drake some good-natured ribbing. I had a chance to speak with Emily Rose and Claudia Black, aka Elena Fisher and Chloe Frazier, co-stars of the upcoming Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

Both will certainly *sound* familiar, but if you’re wondering where you’ve seen them before, both Claudia and Emily have pretty extensive TV resumés. That makes it all the more impressive when they talk about how much they’ve enjoyed their time making Uncharted 2.

Personally, I really couldn’t get over how everyone in the cast resembles their in-game counterparts. It made talking to them feel like I was talking to the characters. Hope you enjoyed.

50 Comments
4 Author replies

Nice to see the actors behind the voices of my most anticipated game of 2009. :D

JordanBlack68 18 June, 2009 @ 19:11

Nolan North is cool!

Tekkenfanaat 18 June, 2009 @ 19:12

Emily looks a lot like Elena.

Nice interviews. Can’t wait to get my hands on the game; singleplayer that is, already playing the beta :)

FrankieZappa 18 June, 2009 @ 19:23

Claudia Black……Farscape super-babe! Love her %-)

Damn Emily is fine :P

Anyway, when are you guys @ the EU PS Blog going to do these kinds of things ? I know you’re just getting started but still.

GO EU PS BLOG

Charlotte Large 18 June, 2009 @ 19:34
5.1

I doubt we could ever match Jeff’s superb video interviews ;) But we’d love to do something similar for future European events.

Cute girls, nice to see such enthusiasm.

Cool videos, I really like these talks with the actors. I loved the unlockable behind the scenes looks on the Drake’s Fortune disk also, so I hope there’ll be more of them in Among Thieves.

Definitely one of the games I’m looking forward to the most right now, both of the gameplay videos they’ve shown have been awesome IMO.

Claudia Black…. awwwghwwwghhhhhhhhhwwwwwhghhhhh!

Ravenblade86 18 June, 2009 @ 19:58

Those are two great interviews, and its great to see that all the voice talent for U2 are actually really excited to be working on it. Plus they do any amazing job with it, Uncharted may very well have the best voice overs in any game.

Ohh and it would be really nice if we could maybe see the EU PlayStation.Blog get some video interviews from the European studios, especially the SCEE studios…we don’t hear from them enough.

*coughs* Studio Liverpool & Evolution *coughs* :)

Charlotte Large 18 June, 2009 @ 20:14
9.1

We’re speaking to some of the European dev teams at the moment about interviews with them. Should hopefully have something for you guys soon. :)

Well i got the Beta, but i miss some feedback on the things that you write in the Beta test thread on the Sony forum.
I know that this blog is proberly not the best place for this comment, but i couldent help my self.

So please, comment on what we write in the Beta thread on the Sony Forum. :)

the women both have really annoying speaking voices compared to their characters lol

Great to hear that SONY and ND give them freedom to improvise…that makes Drake feel so human…it’s really awesom how you can feel like you know him from a while back

In other games you can play 3 or 4 games with the same character and it feels the same everytime and actually different sometimes, without a defined personality…this is not the case with Drake.

Those girls have great personality and looks :)

wow that’s amazing so cool to see the voice actors they look a bit like the characters as well cant wait for uncharted 2 is going to be sick!! :D

CartBlanche 18 June, 2009 @ 20:30

How about holding a nnth, nnth + 1000 etc competition like they did on the recent Bionic Commando thread on the US blog. Some free code would be nice as well :).

Smoutefretter_BE 18 June, 2009 @ 20:36

Great to here and see the people behind the characters. It’s also cool they actually look a bit like the in-game persons.
Also nice to hear that they put their personnal touch to the game. Looking forward to put my hands on elena, I mean uncharted 2 :D

Oh and indeed Jeff rubenstein rules (also he wheres a great T-shirt once again :P)

I look forward to gamescom, then, to see our blog team in action!

I was always impressed by Uncharted’s character development, and I’m glad to see Uncharted 2 will cater to the same quality bar. More developers should take this approach! :)

Very Very cool interviews, really look out to see more!

-Q

Whoever does the EU video interviews can they pleeeeease be as totally gorgeous as Jeff Rubenstein?

DistortedPixel 18 June, 2009 @ 20:59

Wow, the resemblance between Emily and Elena is uncanny.
Game looks and sounds gorgeous so far.

Diablo_Rosso 18 June, 2009 @ 21:00

I can’t wait for Uncharted 2 :D

Obvious choice for a movie Nathan Drake: Nathan Fillion. I think he has the exact sort of sarcastic style of acting that would fit.

Also, it’s crazy how much the women look like their counterparts. Emily/Elena especially.

NightHawk767 18 June, 2009 @ 21:44

Damn, it’s like they modelled the characters after them, it’s really weird to see that the voice-actors resemble their gaming counterparts so much, especially Elena – Emily.

Emily is so attractive! Amazing!

But..but..where’s Sully?!? :(

RagingWhisky 18 June, 2009 @ 22:09

[JohnSketch]

Elena…How I Missed Thou!!!

If a Film-adaptation were to be made, as mentioned previously, the Voice Actors could do a mighty fine job of being their characters!

Personally I vote myself to be drake but thats just me ;) – think a scottish interpretation of the character would not go amiss and i’m more than happy to fill the role!

oh damn, i posted a comment in the wrong place, but i’am going to request it here also in hope of an answer.

can we please have the chance to get a betacode for uncharted2 here on the EU blog, the US blog are giving out more codes now, why can’t SCEE give some out? please give an answer i really wanna try out this game :D

Hello european PS-Blog-Team,
do you know where I can get a code for the Uncharted 2 Multiplayer Beta.
Thanks.
semih44

RagingWhisky 18 June, 2009 @ 23:13

[JohnSketch]

@25

It’s a remnant from when I used to Post over at ThreeSpeech – username was JohnSketch. =)

Don’t wish to change my PSN ID to JohnSketch and it also allows myself and other former ThreeSpeech posters to easily find my posts within the new “post” system this site has – which if you hadn’t noticed gets fairly heavily saturated!

almighty-slayer 18 June, 2009 @ 23:14

Like i said on the US Blog, Emily is simply gorgeous

Good to hear the opinions of the voice actors, it’s really fascinating and great to see how excited they are

You know, if you ever need someone to maybe help out with a few videos for your blog I’d more than willing. All I ask in return is that I first get to interview the lovely Emily Rose.

I will take no reply as a yes, and also a reply stating I can as a yes. Cheers. :)

Bear :P

@ 29

Ah right mate.

nice girls :D

gonzalo_zgz_94 19 June, 2009 @ 09:36

waaaohhh is very beatiful!!!

@Charlotte

Fat Princess in June! Mike doesn’t think so!

Now im stuck with £20 on PSN with no game to buy!

Anything you can do to appease me! As I can’t get that money back to buy RE5!

Samii

Charlotte Large 19 June, 2009 @ 11:01
34.1

Yeah, unfortunately Fat Princess isn’t going to make a June release after all. The game is coming at some point this summer, and will have a global release, but there is no confirmed date at the moment.

Good interviews, the motion capture has definitely captured some of the physical characteristics of the real actors, particulary Emily/Elena. I’m glad to see she is in the single player campaign, I must have missed that reveal trailer over E3.

I just hope I can get used to Claudia Black as Chloe, during the E3 stage demo the only thing I could think of was Vala from SG1!

How come Sully’s actor wasn’t there? I wonder how much he looks like Sully…

Charlotte Large 19 June, 2009 @ 10:33
35.1

Richard McGonagle is the actor who played Sully – I’m not sure whether or not he was at E3 for the interview. But take a look at his IMDb page for a comparison: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0569501/

Richard McGonagle is my hero. “God damn El Dorado!”, etc…

Wow Emily is so Hot!!! :D

Emily is sweet. And that short bit from the game: “Elena Fisher. Last year’s model.” is epic! :-)

True :D

James Denton or Joe Flanigan, easy.

Wow, I loved these video interviews, really great stuff.

And for Claudia’s comment about gamers playing as Chloe in multiplayer just to stare at her backside… guilty as charged!! :D

Please can i have a code….ok ok i only just started posting on EU blog but been a member of US blog for ages and we could’nt win prizes over there!! :(

Anyway buying this DAY ONE baby.

DTS MAN

Cool, i didnt know Elena was going to be in the second one, I think its good.

Fortunately, Elena´s voice in the game is not as annying as emily´s, but she is cute.

Great Video though and liking the bits and bobs on here a lot.

WE LOVE – NOLAN NORTH! WE LOVE – NOLAN NORTH!

Can’t wait to play it, in my opinion, the first Uncharted is the best PS3 game and had a great special features (interviews, making of, cutscenes could be watched in all languages etc. etc.)…

A_SwiftShinobi 20 June, 2009 @ 19:32

Seeing the voice actors behind U2 and how they are really enthusiastic about the game has got me even more excited to get my hands on it. There excitement about U2 is really genuine, its clear they are loving the voice acting and it shows as its the best voice acting to appear in a videogame.

BalramRules 21 June, 2009 @ 10:20

This game is going to slam down the Xbox 360 games SILLY!!
Sorry if you don’t appreciate this comment but I just HATER Microsoft!!!
I hope Sony beats them on EVERYTHING!! I LOVE Sony though!! HA HA HA!
Uncharted was my second game on my PS3!!
I loved!! IT!!!!
I’m going to buy Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, DC Universe Online, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time, MAG, The Agency, Assassin’s Creed II, EyePets & the PS3 Motion Controllers thanks to Incognito Entertainments : )

Andy-McK-4ever 21 June, 2009 @ 16:51

It’s good to see that ND are letting the voice actors put their own stamp on the characters. I doubt that many devs do this but then again, there isn’t a lot of devs like ND

This game looks awesome.
In terms of graphics sound gameplay.
Really a showcase of what the PS3 is capable of

Brilliant interviews. Always great to hear from the actors doing the voice overs and especially nice to see that they really enjoy doing the work.
Drakes Fortune is probably still one of my most favourite games on PS3 or any console right now, due to the high quality finish to the game and the game as a whole.

Can’t wait to see the final game for Uncharted 2. Been holding off from playing in the BETA or watching too many video trailers as I want the suspense and joy ride to be mine when I finally play the game and not be spoiled by trailers.

And Claudia is hot as always and Emily is actually rather tasty too. And Claudia black in tight leathers from Farscape was well nice to see her butt in that. ;)

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history