Posted

New Music Coming To SingStar: Universal Music For The SingStore, Motown and Take That Disc Releases

All of the SingStar team is very excited about the fact that we have just signed a deal with one of the biggest music labels in the business – Universal. This will bring hits from Universal to the SingStore across SCEE territories starting with the first instalment on August 8th from the likes of Elton John, The Police and Nirvana through to more recent acts such as The Killers, Scissor Sisters and Girls Aloud.

SingStar: The Killers - Somebody Told MeSingStar: Elton John - Rocket Man

SingStar: Gloria Gaynor - I will SurviveSingStar: Girls Aloud - Love Machine

Apart from being able to offer you a whole new range of tracks on the SingStore by signing Universal, we’re also very excited about two forthcoming disc releases: SingStar Motown and SingStar Take That. Each disc hails from a very different era, but the music from both has dominated the charts and been able to capture the imagination of many different generations across the decades.

There are some amazing artists singing timeless songs on the SingStar Motown disc. Motown set the template for a lot of modern R&B, and pretty much invented girl and boy bands with the likes of The Supremes and of course The Jackson 5, both of which feature on the disc, alongside soul greats like Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and Martha and the Vandellas.

Moving into more recent musical history, Take That took the boy band model and have re-written it, not once but twice! Their renaissance over the last few years has been remarkable, and they keep going from strength to strength.

Some of the SingStar team went to the final night of Take That’s UK tour recently and apparently it was one of the most amazing shows they have been to, it’ll be interesting to see if any of the members of the community can recreate The Circus Tour in their front rooms! Take That are simply a great band with great songs and SingStar Take That is packed full of hits spanning their career, from pop belters to beautiful ballads.

Finally, after much demand from within the SingStar community, we’ve managed to bring forward our first release from Universal on to the SingStore today – look out for The Jackson 5’s I Want You Back later today!

We hope you enjoy all this new music to sing and perform to over the coming months!

44 Comments
9 Author replies
MRxVENGEANCE 24 July, 2009 @ 11:42

Hi Carly, ‘nice to meet you’.

Fantastic post. Does this also apply to Australia?

Carly Byron 24 July, 2009 @ 12:00
1.1

Thank you! I’m glad you like it. There are so many things to look forward to, so it’s all very exciting!

With regards to your question, the Universal deal applies across the SingStore in all SCEE territories including Australia.

I hope that helps!

What happened to Nina?!?! – she always signs off her post with a little kiss – x

Carly Byron 24 July, 2009 @ 12:02
2.1

Aww, I’m sorry! It’s my first time here, so you’ll have to forgive me. Next time I’ll sign off with double kisses to make up for it.

Nina Scherer 24 July, 2009 @ 12:24
2.2

x :)

Are you guys working on any further labels/artists for the future. Madonna springs to mind as my girlfriend won’t stop asking…

Carly Byron 24 July, 2009 @ 12:41
3.1

Hi YobRenoops!

We’re continuously working on expanding the catalogue of tracks on the SingStore and providing SingStar fans everywhere with the songs you guys want. We also love reading your comments and suggestions on the blog, so feel free to post any favourite artists / specific tracks you want to see on the SingStore here and we’ll see what we can do!

This is good news indeed. Thanks for the heads up :D

Speaking of Singstar, will us poor danes see a patch so we can actually use the brilliant voicecontrol?

I see a reason for why it is deactivated if the system language is set to danish, but when it’s set to english, I see no reason for it not to work?

I know I’m not entirely on topic, but I hope you will forgive me :D

The PushSquare team are supremely excited about donning our wigs and spinning some Supremes.

Thank God for Singstar!

AngryDutchman 24 July, 2009 @ 12:48

Can we get some Datarock? Friggin’ love those guys, right now!

My sisters are gonna go nuts for both those Sing Star releases. Especially Take That. Keep it up!

Carly, Nina – now that’s more like it! :)

Thanks for the news, can’t wait!

Also, is there any update about the missing coldplay medleys from the songpack (2)?

Nina Scherer 24 July, 2009 @ 15:41
8.1

Hi – it looks like this will have to be fixed with the next patch. I’ll keep you informed as soon as I have a specific date!

With the new Ghostbusters game out, do you think you guys could put the song on the singstore?

Yeah ! It’s a very good news ! Keep it the good work !

owen29051992 24 July, 2009 @ 13:36

yes this is very exciting! just wondering if you could PLEASE consider adding some more of:

Kelly Clarkson (Breakaway, My Life Would Suck Without You Etc.)
Avril Lavinge (Girlfriend, When YOu’re Gone Etc.)
Britney Spears (Some newer stuff; If U Seek Amy, Radar, Gimme More Etc.)
Celine Dion (I would LOVE LOVE LOVE ‘My heart will go on’!!)
Miley Cyrus (7 Things etc.)
Lady Gaga!! (pokerface, just dance, love game, paparazzi!!)
Rihanna (disturbia, umbrella!)
Christina aquilera and beyonce would be awesome too!

ok so basically loads of people! can you try your best?

Well, since you do encourage it…
If I’m not mistaken Gamma Ray’s old label was bought up by Universal Music. Hint, hint!
I also wish to name-drop the following bands:
Avantasia, Ayreon, Blind Guardian and Edguy.

Please make me buy SingStar 

Looking forward to the Motown disc, has there been a list of the tracks posted anywhere?

That is great news. I hope a lot of new content will make it to the Singstore. I just hate the different blu-ray’s. They are often better value for money but I don’t want to disc jocky during a party.

Keep up the good work.

“We also love reading your comments and suggestions on the blog” I hope this goes for features as well.
How about enabeling som kind of jukebox mode?

Imagine this: You’re at a party, Singstar is running on a nearby flatscreen, but only noone is singing, it’s just showing full music video after full music video, without the lyrics or score overlay, from the users library and the inserted disc.
Suddenly you see the video for the song you just HAVE to sing (either that or you’ve finally bolstered the needed curage), so you press X on the controller that’s just lying about on the coffeetable, the song reloads, only now with the score overlay, and you sing your heart out.
This feature might even bolster SingStore sales as people would be more likely to buy songs that they don’t nessecarily want to sing, but just want the video for.

Just an idea :D

Carly Byron 24 July, 2009 @ 14:42
15.1

A SingStar jukebox mode! Fabulous idea – keep them coming guys!

The 8th is a Saturday, will we also get the Thursday update on the 6th?

Any word on the winner of the crystal mics!??? The suspense is killing me!

How about adding real-time vocal effects such as “Auto-Tune” to SingStar?

When enabled, it would deliberately distort the singer’s own voice, for instance making it sound futuristic. Black Eyed Peas use the effect in their track, “Boom Boom Pow”.

Similarly, it’s also possible to process and correct the tune of live singing in real-time and a lot of pop-stars use this facility when performing live. If this feature was available in SingStar, for instance via a “beginner mode”, then newbies (myself included) would have more confidence to join in and play SingStar without making a complete fool of themselves.

MRxVENGEANCE 24 July, 2009 @ 15:15

Can we get some AFI songs please? I might consider singing if you can make this happen or should I go on Jim’ll Fix It? I can make a list of my favourite songs if it helps…

Hey Carly! :D

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I guess this must be an exciting time for the SingStar Team? On the forums we’ve known about the Universal Music Group issue since mid-last year. It must be great for you guys now that you can give us many of the songs we’ve been requesting for ages. :D

Speaking of requests, the people on the various SingStar community sites are working on a UMG-themed wishlist right now. It’s not ready yet, but I’ll make sure to pass it onto Nina next week. We know that you’ve already got a tonne of tracks already on your internal wishlist, and that this deal won’t mean instant access to every UMG song, but some extra feedback from us can’t hurt, right? :)

Anyway, that’s it from me. :P

(Oh, and thanks for replying to the comments. Reading the team’s responses to blog posts is usually the best part)

Carly Byron 24 July, 2009 @ 17:39
20.1

Hi Tntnnbltn,

A community wishlist would be great! Although we can’t promise anything, send it through and we’ll certainly look into it for you.

Happy singing!

That jukebox idea is brilliant. No doubt i would use singstar more often than only when my house is full of women (yeah the mics are pretty dusty now)

OK i’m sure this question has been asked many times. But what are the chances of getting some more hip hop in the store? I know there’s ice ice baby with the rap-o-meter thingy, so the functionality’s obviously there.

Is there a reason that it’s just limited to a few random songs, young mc, and a couple of eminem one’s i think i’ve seen. Is it because of lyrical content thus having an effect on the age rating? Or just because you guys are worried i might melt the mic with my fire burning mc’ing ability. har de har har

ps. awesome update

Fantastic update… Now I can sing Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Nelly Furtado, Mariah Carey, PCD and many more in the near future… But hey just to remind you: Don’t forget the US, please! I’m sure Singstar will sell a lot in the States with this UMG deal. Way to go ;)

Carly Byron 24 July, 2009 @ 17:12
23.1

Hi jelly_bean,

The Universal deal currently only covers SCEE territories, although we are of course committed to expanding the SingStar catalogue on the North American SingStore, and providing SingStar fans everywhere with songs relevant to them.

Fans in the US and Canada will continue to have new songs added to the store every two weeks, and we’ll continue to keep you updated on any further developments for the North American SingStore.

I hope that helps!

Please bring us a MICHAEL JACKSON DISC. Please please please!

I notice you were careful to say this only applies to SCEE territories. Could you at all confirm that the other territories are at least ‘working’ on a similar deal?

I need EJ in Canada.

Thanks.

Carly Byron 24 July, 2009 @ 17:36
25.1

Hi KSPRAYDAD,

I’m afraid you are correct in that the Universal deal currently only covers SCEE territories, although we are of course committed to expanding the SingStar catalogue on the North American SingStore, and providing SingStar fans everywhere with songs relevant to them.

I hope that helps!

All i ask for is 1 linkin park song any one will do just 1 pleeeaaasssseeee :P

Great update again, good music-deal too.. congratulations.
What I would wish for is that if I’m selecting songs from the SingStore and I loose my connectio too the store (which unfortunately is quite often) that the Store does not “forget” what’s in my basket. Nothing is more frustrating then painstakingly selecting 10 songs.. only to be kicked out and having to re-select them once again.

StalkingSilence 24 July, 2009 @ 21:06

Thanks for the news! You guys are great (and thanks Nina for the guest post on the US PlayStation Blog this week.. you’re always welcome in SCEA as well)

please give us some josh pyke…please?
no dlc atm has interested me…….if you get some josh pyke id get it!

fantastic fantastic this is realy good news and please do that juke box idea it would be amazing thanks.

i would like Eminem songs please
without me is on vol.2 but im not going to buy it jsut for 1 song , any chance you could get that in the store
not sure if you all ready added some , have’nt bin on singstar lately so i dont know

but some eminem songs would be nice , especially his latest ‘beautiful’

thanks

I just checked out the current artist list at Universal

Pretty good list.

Hope they make good use of it!

Mariah Carey, Lady Ga ga, 2-Pac, Guns n Roses, Beautiful South, Eminem, Jon Bon Jovi, many more.

Also I just saw GAME uk advertising the take that singstar as coming soon as a bundle pack with wireless mics?????

Any truth to this?

Keep up the good work

(ps N-dubz for the kids and Oasis for me please)

Show full comment

I just checked out the current artist list at Universal

Pretty good list.

Hope they make good use of it!

Any truth to this?

Keep up the good work

(ps N-dubz for the kids and Oasis for me please)

WL2PMartini 25 July, 2009 @ 01:57

Please bring some Paramore to Europe!!!

sympozium_666 25 July, 2009 @ 07:01

I’M still on the fence with Singstar since it’s idiotic just to buy the game because of the HIM tracks.

IMO it needs X Japan and some mighty Power Metal !!

I love to see the jukebox idea be realised. There are sure songs I’ll buy just for the clip.

Fantastic news :D

I hope I am able to sing Nelly Furtado and Kanye West in the future ;)

Hi thanks for letting us know all the latest. With the collaboration of universal does this mean Lady Gaga will be on the singstore soon?

Great news about signing the deal :)

Just one little question. Will there be other songs released in August or just the ones listed above. I already own most of those tracks as they are on PS2 versions of SingStar. A couple are even on PS3 versions (!!)

Will this deal eventually lead to all the songs available on PS2 discs being available on the Singstore?

Oh and here’s my wishlist from the UMG list. Anything by the following artists will do:

Beck, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, Def Leppard, Elliott Smith, Elton John, Guns n Roses, Johnny Cash, Kiss, Metallica, Morrissey, NERD, Sonic Youth, Status Quo (!!), Stevie Wonder, The Who, U2, yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Thanks for listening x

I really like the idea of the jukebox! So count me in, altough for it to work, all songs should be available as downloads as well.

Also, please reconsider adding the lyrics as complete words, not by sylabus.

Finally my wish list: Bon Jovi, Madonna, Nirvana, and please, Sade.
Then, well, you’ve got Tino Casal’s “Embrujada”, please add “Eloise”, it’s much better and fun to sing.

Thanks, and congratulations on such a good job!

i just seen the universal music group’s list of artists

Eminem Please !!!!!!!!!! and D12
and 50 cent & kanye west

but please eminem songs , i beg you lol

and yes to the jukebox idea thing

xscapeguy2007 26 July, 2009 @ 15:29

Carly,

thanks so very much to you and singstar team to really going all out on pleasing us folk, this is definetly one to stick at LIPS now lol!!

Once again!! Please Please try and give us some idea when and IF the rumours are true regarding Singstar Michael Jackson! Thanks

Terryx

Mariah Carey, please ;)

YES! This is GREAT news for SingStar! And I’ve said for a LONG time, SingStar Take That will be a massive hit… make it PS3 only and you’ve got yourself a console shifter there…

Please note: I am not actually a Take That fan… welllll.. not really… but I am not ashamed to sing to their tunes. Ahem!

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history