Posted

Updated ‘Head’s Up’: Expected PlayStation Store Update For 30th July 2009

So the experiment begins. This content list is what we expect to be releasing tomorrow onto the store, and the below content should be all present and correct when we publish the update.

However – and here is my disclaimer – if for whatever reason some of the content is pulled at the last minute, I will update this blog posting, and will also post in the comments section to let you know what’s happened and why.

This is as much ‘early warning’ as I can currently give for what content we’ll be bringing to the store, I know it’s only one day, but I believe that this extra day will not only show you what’s coming, but will help to manage expectations. I’ve read some sceptics on the forums saying that I’ll only do this when there is good content coming, so let me clarify for you and say ‘not true’. I will post every week on a Wednesday regardless of what content is releasing.

FatPrincessLogo

Okay, now I’ve got that all out the way – I’m sure you all know by now that we have Fat Princess out this week! After having a play in the beta myself, I can’t wait to play the full version, and I’m sure I’ll bump into some of you on the cake strewn battlefield!

fp_image

We also have the second episode of Watchmen: The End Is Nigh available, as well as a demo for Numblast (both PS3 and PSP versions), and additional content for Fight Night Round 4, Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic, Buzz! and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10. There’s also some full game love for you PSP users, with Samurai Warriors: State of War and Unbound Saga available too.

Enjoy, and as usual I’ll see you in the comments section.

Downloadable Game

Fat Princess (£11.99/€14.99)
Take two kidnapped princesses, two medieval castles, two teams battling to rescue them and a whole lot of cake and you get this addictive, tactical team based game. With five class based roles to choose from, how you help your team to victory is up to you.
PEGI 16+

Trial (and Unlock key)

Watchmen: The End Is Nigh Part 2 (Trial free, Unlock Key £9.99/€12.99)
Part two of this episodic downloadable game is now available; play as Rorschach or Nite Owl within the seedy underbelly of New York as you set out to rescue a missing young girl. Note: you will need to download the trial version before you can buy the full game via the unlock key.
PEGI 16+

Demo (free)

Numblast
This demo of the number blasting game (see where the name came from) allows you to try the Time Trial and Tutorial modes found in the full game for a limited period of three days.
PEGI 3+

Add-On Game Content

Fight Night Round 4 – Downloadable Content 1 (free)
This pack adds the following available for use in-game: sponsored tournaments, a new training gym, new gameplay sliders and a few extra bits of kit.
PEGI 16+

– I’ll keep you posted on the changes ;)

Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic – Time Savers Pack (£1.19/€1.99)
This pack collects all the unlockable costumes and characters from the game and allows you to access them straight away. This pack is ideal for those of you who want all the additional goodies but don’t have the time (or skills perhaps) to unlock them all in the main game.
PEGI 12+

Buzz! Quiz TV – AFL Quiz Pack (£6.29/€7.99)
For those of you who know your ‘Aussie Rules’ then this is the Buzz! Quiz for you! This pack tests your knowledge with over 500 questions on the elite national league of AFL.
PEGI 3+

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 – Cog Hill (£4.79/€5.99)
Test your golf skills at Cog Hill, home of the PGA’s Western Open, and play on the Dubsdread #4 course with its rolling fairways and greens.
PEGI 3+

– I’ll keep you posted on the changes for this one too ;)

Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires – Additional Armour Sets (free)
The following sets of attire are now available to customise your character’s appearance:

• Eclectic Armour Set (Men)
  • Norse Armour Set (Men)
  • Priestess Armour Set (Women)
  • Valkyrie Armour Set (Women)

PEGI 16+

Rock Band
Further your Rock Band experience with this selection from Kiss, Blink 182, Weezer and Damone:

• 100,000 Years (Live) by Kiss (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Deuce (Live) by Kiss (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Parasite (Live) by Kiss (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Kiss Pack 01 (this combines all the above Kiss tracks in one pack) (£2.49/€3.99)
  • Down by Blink 182 (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Feeling This by Blink 182 (£0.99/€1.49)
  • The Rock Show by Blink 182 (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Blink 182 Pack 01 (this combines all the above Blink 182 tracks in one pack) (£2.49/€3.99)
  • My Name Is Jonas by Weezer (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Pork and Beans by Weezer (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Undone – The Sweater Song by Weezer (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Weezer Pack 02 (this combines all the above Weezer tracks in one pack) (£2.49/€3.99)
  • Out Here All Night by Damone (£0.99/€1.49)

PEGI 12+

Guitar Hero: World Tour
This week Guitar Hero offers tracks by Protest The Hero, The Dropkick Murphys and Against Me! :

• Bloodmeat by Protest The Hero (£1.59/€1.99)
  • I’m Shipping Up To Boston by The Dropkick Murphys (£1.59/€1.99)
  • New Wave by Against Me! (£1.59/€1.99)
  • Knuckle Sandwich Track Pack (This pack contains all three tracks listed above) (£4.39/€5.99)

PEGI 12+

Videos (free)

• DC Universe Online Behind the Scenes Trailer
  • DC Universe Online Sizzle Trailer
  • Killzone 2 Flash & Thunder Trailer

PlayStation Store via PSP and Media Go

Downloadable Games

Samurai Warriors: State of War (£13.99/€17.99)
Take control of samurai warriors and legendary ninjas as you battle huge forces of enemies in massive battles.
PEGI 16+

Unbound Saga (£11.99/€14.99)
Set in a comic book universe, this 3D side scrolling brawler is a unique and twisted take on comics, and the fighting genre itself.
PEGI 16+

Demo (free)

Numblast
This demo (PSP version) of the number blasting game allows you to try the Time Trial and Tutorial modes found in the full game for a limited period of three days.
PEGI 3+

Add-On Game Content (also available via the PS3 store)

Rock Band Unplugged
Further your Rock Band Unplugged experience with this selection of tracks now available:

• Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm (£0.99/€1.49)
  • Funk #49 by James Gang (£0.99/€1.49)
    PEGI 12+
305 Comments
1 Author replies

Thanks Mike. I was worried you’d forgotten! :D
Hope the Wednesday trial works out well.

1.1

Nope not forgotten, how could I forget you lot :D

Me too, me too.

rossthebassist 29 July, 2009 @ 15:19

Mike, thanks for the update :) looks to be a good one, you may wanna take a look at the comments in the “fat princess” blog because you may get bombarded with those “price” questions mate.

no PS1 classics :( the pain.

Looking forward to trying out Numblast!

Mike, we know it’s not your fault…but £11.99 is out of control. Let SCEE know ;)

Diablo_Rosso 29 July, 2009 @ 15:20

No MGS update? :(

5.1

My fingers are crossed that I can give you something more definitive than ‘I’m still asking’ soon. I’m sorry you’ve all been kept in the dark for so long though :(

Jack-Bauer-89 29 July, 2009 @ 15:21

Finally your telling us what where getting!

THANK YOU!

unitedkronos 29 July, 2009 @ 15:22

A pretty cool update, I hope it survives the next 24 hours. No PSone Classics though, that’s the only thing I’d ask Sony to pull their thumb out on, we’re still waiting for Tekken 2 (been out abroad for two and a half years) and the return of Silent Hill (legal issue).

Mike any comment to the 150+ complaints over Fat Princess overpricing at http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/07/28/fat-princess-worth-the-weight-heres-the-date/ ?

8.1

I can’t comment on pricing I’m afraid, the prices come from the publishers for third party content, and the developers for SCE published content. All the comments in the Fat Princess comments section have indeed been noted though, as to what may or may not happen I do not know. Sorry, that’s all I can say on the matter.

FAT PRINCESS! WOOOH!
Shame I’m skint! :(

Oooh.. Unbound Saga is out this week? kept that quiet mike :P

@mike
Just a question.. I’m guessing the pricing could change (either up or down) on this list just like some of the content may not appear?

TheSabreman 29 July, 2009 @ 15:25

Mike can you take a look at the Fat Princess thread many request about pricing, who decides the prices ?

The dollar conversion rates will go on and on unless something is fare is sorted.

Thanks for the early store post and someone SCEE should put you in charge of the blog as you are one of the few that replies even when the news is not good (Plus you try to find out even if you don’t know). A+ for customer service !

11.1

I’ve been following it all day, but I didn’t want to comment as it wasn’t my post, or my place really. Also, Gavin has been in there are posted a few responses now.

Okay regarding conversion rates, I can certainly appreciate that some of you feel upset by these, SCEE does revisit the exchange rates used periodically, but the prices are determined by the publishers or developers, we as the store team don’t decide the pricing for content.

FallingStickman 29 July, 2009 @ 15:30

No PSOne classics as usual. Bummer.
Also – Fat Princess for 15 euro? Seriously? I’m not getting that one from the EU store for sure.

Oh and it’s a real shame that Trine got pushed back again… and because of a serious bug? SCEE sucks… they have been delaying the release for so long and now this. Get some competent testers for God’s sake!

Nothing really special.

garethjohnson 29 July, 2009 @ 15:31

Good update but why are there no ps1 games, I know you have been trying to get mgs and re1 on the psn but still why are the no SCE ps1 games on this update like Twisted Metal, Wild Arms, spyro and The Legend of Dragoon just to name a few.

Also if want some 3rd party ps1 games why do you try get Square Enix games ps1 for Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy IX or aother 3rd party the is willing for there games on to the psn.

FallingStickman 29 July, 2009 @ 15:32

Sorry, of course I didn’t mean SCEE… I ment SCE’s QA.

I’m glad to see this happening. Good to know what the update is with a little warning. Thanks guys.

That Princess is WAY TOO GREEDY!

$15 = £9.09 rather than $15 = £12!

Amherst_Wind_4 29 July, 2009 @ 15:34

Cool to see a Numblast demo… but sorry Mike, the Fat Princess price has ruined this update… :(

Mike mate, I hope you’ve got your hard hat ready for all the flak you’re about to get about the UK/EU pricing of Fat Princess! I’m sure you’ve seen from the other news post about it that you’re in for a rough ride!

To make matters worse on the same day you’re releasing Watchmen: The End Is Nigh Part 2 which also has a $14.99 price tag in the US! Ouch!

Sucks to be you today I’m afraid! :(

What’s the Buzz! content Mike?

Ignore that, my eyes have started working again :D

Carnivius_Prime 29 July, 2009 @ 15:38

I’ll likely get Fat Princess but I’d like a demo first. I’m not bothered about the price at all, but I’m meant to be saving up to move home so my purchases need to be a bit more guaranteed worth it. Might get the Kung Fu time savers as I’e got a bit fed up trying to unlock everything in that. I want the Sackboy. Been a while since I played that as I’ve no one to play in multiplayer. Still waiting for Bomberman Ultra too. And Symphony of the Night, Spyro, R-Type Delta and Einhander on the PS1 store if they ever appear. I know at least 3 of these are on other countries stores.

AaronSOLDIER 29 July, 2009 @ 15:39

Any news on new avatars, Mike?

And will we see the Namco Museum here in Europe?

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Mike for the updata and info.

Do you know if you will be doing any thing for the Tokyo Game Show in September? In a similar vein to your coverage of CES I know it’s early but I know that I would some time to organise.

24.1

Not sure about the Tokyo Game Show coverage to be honest, we may have a smattering of videos from the show though, to early to say at the moment. We will have some trailers for Gamescon in August though coming to the store.

rossthebassist 29 July, 2009 @ 15:41

@apnomis you’ve got a very good point on that one, about the watchmen / fat princess price.

GrimNebulinX 29 July, 2009 @ 15:43

Bad week for me, wont be getting anything, good job im still working my way through wipeout fury and shatter from last week And I get to save money :)
Shame there is no PS one games this week again… My PSP is starting to gather dust again.

VintageElise 29 July, 2009 @ 15:44

Great idea! One thing though, is there any news on MGS for the UK store?

Still no Trine then.

Also the Il-2 Sturmovik demo was released on XBox Live. When will this be on PSN?

I like this ‘1 day early’ idea, but when does MGS and Marvel Vs Capcom 2 come out!?

Also is Fat Princess confirmed at that stupidly high price (I know it’s a good game, but it’s not fair America get it cheaper)?

@18 well spotted, i never noticed that.

So on the same day you have 2 games at $14.99 in the US BUT 1 of them here is £9.99 and the other is £11.99.

WOW, so it’s official, a price hike of £2 just for the sake of it i guess (well that’s a lost sale from me).

Bah!! one word “Crap” mike never fear the sceptics would belive you now with this not so brill update, No you shouted we got Fat princess yes but dear it take fool to buy it at that price, and yes you can call me a sceptic to after what i read yesterday on eurogamer about psn cards & mike says psn cards info comming soon, im more wry then ever concerning scee so yes i am 1 of a sceptic, ps i save me tenner for cod5 map pack #3 btw 1 game some demo dont mate it a brill update & let see what the MIGHTY scea does on it store, pps i hope mike that this trail you doing works, & i wait to see wot eilliot brings to home. (Awww i wanted Namco museum essentials tomorrow) :‘(

Looking good Mike. Like this new thing you have going. Just remember for every complainer there are 1000 happy people. Keep it up chief.

Nice update, shame no TRINE though. Those pesky ‘bugs’ eh?

Thanks for the update.. wish the US would do the same.

Amherst_Wind_4 29 July, 2009 @ 15:54

Mike
Can I ask who do we contact to let someone know how unimpressed we are with the price? I know its likely pointless and wont get a response but it’d be nice to tell the people responsible what we think. I dont quite get your post, so Titan Studios are responsible for the price?

35.1

Sorry, to clarify the publishers take the lead when it comes to pricing (3rd or 1st party content), I’m not sure how much say the developers for 1st party content have, but ultimately the publisher makes the call.

Callofduty1 29 July, 2009 @ 15:54

MIKE has konami or capcom got back to you? yet where are our ps1 classics?????????????????? justice for european uk users thanks

36.1

As posted above earlier Callofduty1 – I’m still awaiting information, I know it’s been a long wait and I apologise, these questions haven’t been forgotten, I’m pestering away ;)

Harlequiine 29 July, 2009 @ 15:55

Glad to see you posted on Wednesday Mike!
If anyone says this is a bad update.. seriously. It’s not.

The most anticipated PSN game ever, another full PSN game, a demo, PSP content and DLC. Pretty much everything you want in an update.

As long as everything is actually published on Thursday night (here in Aus) well done SCEE! :]

Nice to get the info in advance :)
and nice to get Fat Princess!

BUT!

– Where are the good PSX games? especially the ones already releasen on the US Store!
– Where are the big psp titles? lumines, crisis core, metal gear portable ops, vice city stories etc!
– Why do you charge almost 33% more for some random games in Denmark while other prices are fair?!

it looks like titan are responsible for the price, try contacting them

Callofduty1 29 July, 2009 @ 15:57

the price for fat princess is a disgrace wanted it bad aswell i wonder what the usa store is getting this week suikoden 2, final fantasy viii, final fantasy ix and resident evil 2 prob

It’s not even the conversion rates that are the problem (we expect Sony to bend us over for these).

It’s the inconsistency and blatant price gouging based on the perceived anticipation for the game:

Battlefield 1943 – US $14.99 – UK – £9.99

Fat (greedy) Princess – US $14.99 – UK – £11.99

Not to mention the insane amount of value for WipEout HD (and fury DLC) for a similar price.

It’s blatant opportunism, and we’re sick of it. Count me out.

tetraspanin 29 July, 2009 @ 16:00

Will Fat Princess be on the german store too and if so – will it be censored?

Gavin Russell 29 July, 2009 @ 16:50
42.1

@tetraspanin,

Fat Princess will be avaiable in the the German store. The content will be indentical to that of the rest of SCEE and the other territories.

kingofscotland 29 July, 2009 @ 16:00

Good to see the early update Mike, your good work is appreciated.

Off on holiday on Saturday so won’t be making any purchases this week, will miss next weeks so when I come back I will have 3 weeks (including this weeks) of store goodness to get me over the holiday blues

@ Callofduty1, he’s already replied on this in comment 5:

“My fingers are crossed that I can give you something more definitive than ‘I’m still asking’ soon. I’m sorry you’ve all been kept in the dark for so long though”

Please read the responses given already before posting the same question again (that’s not just aimed at you btw, it’s a general plea to all blog readers, not that they’ll listen to me any more than they listen to Mike…!)

Bilbo_bobbins 29 July, 2009 @ 16:01

No purchase for Fat Princess for me, until the price is correct. Sony are starting to pee me off a little with pricing.

Shame as it looks good, but I wont be mugged off because Sony is too lazy to sort it out. It’s not hard Sony, look on the web for conversion rates.

rossthebassist 29 July, 2009 @ 16:01

mike on a side note not related to the post which as you know i think is a good update, especially looking back on some of the nightmare ones.

would it be possible to arrange a live talk with someone on the blog about future PS3 developments, i know people are tight lipped about firmware and stuff, but i have 1 or 2 questions that id like answered that i know aint in ur department. (they are sensible questions aswell nothing metal gear related :D)

Callofduty1 29 July, 2009 @ 16:02

right im NOT putting another penny into my psn wallet until SCEE Sort out these exchange rates and give us our ps1 classics we have been waiting over 2 years for god this is so annoying who is to blame SCEE/KONAMI/CAPCOM or all three ive totally had it i have

Nice! Been wanting to try out Munblast for a while now!

Any update on the original PS1 Spyro for the Store Sir Kebby? ;)

Ragnarok-NZ 29 July, 2009 @ 16:03

Hey Mike! I’m so glad to see you took our advice and giving us an early head’s up with what’s about to come out, I’m really digging this feature and hope it becomes a regular thing.
That said, I’m kinda bummed we dont get Marvel VS Capcom this week like the US or Holy Invasion Of Privacy Badman, was really looking forward to both titles. Any word if they’re headed our way soon?

I know this has been asked a gazillion times already, but I just gotta know…any word on MGS or RE? With the PSP Go’s release getting closer, I would really like to stock up on titles to play on my handheld.

Anyways, looks like it’s another good week for Europe :)

49.1

Marvel vs Capcom 2 is coming to our store at some point soon we hope, but as far as I’m aware the US aren’t getting it this week either.

Callofduty1 29 July, 2009 @ 16:04

how long does it take to get some information mike itss not like we want you to ask capcom/ konami to recreate the sistine chapel you know arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

50.1

It doesn’t take me very long to ask the question at all, it’s receiving the answers back that takes the time. If I don’t get an answer I can’t tall you anything can I? ;)

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history