Posted

Coming To PSN: Joe Danger

My name is Sean Murray. My three friends and I are making a game for PlayStation 3 called Joe Danger!

We’re a tiny indie outfit based in Guildford, UK (across the street from our friends at Media Molecule), and we’ve been having the most insanely awesome 2010 so far. To start, we revealed Joe Danger, then had lots of important people say really nice things about us. We’ve been nominated for two Independent Games Festival awards, a Direct2Drive Vision award and now we get to announce that we’re coming to Playstation 3. It feels good to finally tell someone. Whoop, whoop!

Joe Danger is the star of our game. He’s a down and out daredevil, this hapless little dude who’s known as, “The World’s Most Determined Stuntman.” You need to take Joe on the ride of his life and go from zero to hero, across over 50 eye-poppingly gorgeous and eye-wateringly dangerous levels. It’s what we like to call a “Stunt-‘Em-Up,” and your job is to combo, boost and pull ludicrous tricks to fill stadiums and put Joe back on the podium.

Joe Danger

You’ll help Joe to wheelie his way into the record books, as you smash through hardcore stunts and take on some of our ridiculously addictive mini-games like Coin-Dash, Bowling-Bounce, Crazy-Puzzle and Target-Grab. To regain the title “Master of Disaster” though, you’ll need prove you’re the best, race against your rivals, out-thrill your friends and defy death to defeat the dastardly Team Nasty.

Joe Danger

Before starting Hello Games together, we all worked at much bigger companies on huge teams, making some amazing games like Burnout and Black. Creating our own games is what we always wanted to do though, and PSN gives us the opportunity to get ’em out there to you lovely people.

Joe Danger

About two years ago when we first left to do our own thing, we sat around talking about what our very first game might be. We knew for sure that we wanted to recapture some of the arcade magic of games we grew up with from the SNES and Genesis generation. Then Grant, our only artist, brought a box of toys in from his parent’s attic, and something kind of beautiful happened. There was an instant, awesome power to demonstrating your latest game idea with Optimus Prime in your hands. We kept coming back to one toy though — an Evel Knievel stunt cycle. We sat and played with it, building bigger and bigger ramps, launching it out of windows and down corridors. It didn’t matter that he crashed all the time; in fact, that was almost the point. Just like that, Joe Danger was born!

Joe Danger

The really important thing about playing with that stunt cycle was that building ramps was as much fun as launching yourself over them. So with Joe Danger you can freeze the game at any point to enter edit-mode and change your world any way you want. You can put a ramp down just before you land or place a ring of fire just before you go through it. It’s really easy and allows you to create the most ridiculous stunts you can think of, then use them to smash some world records! You can even share your creations with all your friends and torment them with your devious creations.

Joe Danger

We’re a pretty competitive bunch here at Hello Games, and never more so than when we take each other on in some outrageous split-screen face-offs. The key to success is to pull tricks and create combos which will earn boost, allowing you to reach ridiculous speeds and pull even bigger tricks. Once you master your motorbike, you can take on the world with your high-scoring combos. We’re really looking forward to having some competition when the game is released.

Joe Danger

When people ask me what my favorite film is, I like to tell them it’s Cinema Paridiso, because I like to look clever. It’s a lie though. My favorite film is actually The Naked Gun. I’m a big fan of slapstick, especially people getting clotheslined at high-speed, and that’s something we’ve tried to fill our game with. We use advanced cartoon physics to create a world ripe with humour. As a stuntman you laugh in the face of Danger, but it laughs back when you crash, as you bounce from boulder to boulder on fire, towards a pile of giant mousetraps. Even when you’re flung from your bike at high speed though, you can still make a last ditch attempt to please the crowd by pulling poses mid-air and nudging yourself directly into the path of Danger to score some extra points.

Joe Danger is coming out really soon, sometime in the next few months. We’re giddy with excitement about it and we think it’ll put a big stupid grin on your face.

You can keep up to date with Hello Games and Joe Danger on our blog, follow us on Twitter or even just send us mail!

P.S. Check out Eurogamer soon for some hands-on coverage and an interview!

58 Comments
3 Author replies

huzzah! finally a confirmation. This is certainly something i’m going to buy day 1, as it looks like excite bike mixed with trials and littlebigplanet. and its all very awesome looking. Welcome to the blog guys :-)

also, naked gun is a great film!

so red bull x-fighters but fun? awesome!! :D

Carnivius_Prime 05 March, 2010 @ 13:03

Looks fun.
3nd though? :P

TehPhilosopher 05 March, 2010 @ 13:06

That does look like fun, and love the concept!

ShogunDarius 05 March, 2010 @ 13:11

that joe dangerous game made me think of dangerous dan, and that everyone is full of win to the brim

Looks great so far!..

Pwetty pwease add splitscreen.. pweeeeeeaze?

wow . ill defo be picking this up as im a sucka for a stuntman type game and this looks great . loving these psn games that are like game versions of pixar movies with the animations , more of these please , great work cant wait

WAIT.. splitscreen is already in! My bad! AWESOME! =)

please make some joe danger psn avatars too sean . gd man lol

Yes! I’m so happy that Joe Danger is coming to the PSN. I was speaking you on your forums a few months ago ( http://www.hellogames.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28 ) pretty-much beging you to bring this to the PSN and now I spot this post in my feeds :) I’ve been in love with this game ever since I saw that brief gameplay demo video.

almighty-slayer 05 March, 2010 @ 13:20

Snazzy. i will keep a close eye on this game :)

Looks fun, but admittedly a lot like excite bike. Not a bad thing.

sounds deadly :D

is this psn exclusive

PSP version coming? :)

Can’t wait1 It was brilliant fun when I played it at Eurogamer. I spoke to one of the devs for about 10 minutes who was very nice guy.

It will be a first minute purchase for me.

16.1

Hello Again!

That must have been me you met. I’m the only nice guy here at Hello Games ;).

yayyy!! :D

very impressed by this…. original and looks very amusing.

Excellent!

A current millennium (well, ignoring earlier this week) 3D successor to Simon Pick’s 2D side(lack-of-scrolling)-view “Dare Devil Denis”.

If you need any help testing in the next few months, please don’t hesitate to call…

BFN,

fp.

“…Like your neighbours in Guildford will you be supporting the facility to create our own stunt-rid[d]en circuits for the man of Danger?”

:) Now I’ve calmed down (a little) & read what you typed through my sea of tears because of laughter from your video, I see you already mentioned you can.

Either way… may I suggest some characters from “Pain” or a Sackboy or Sackgirl as guest riders to compete against?

BFN,

fp.

20.1

Good idea!

Next time we sneak into the MM offices, we’ll try to kidnap Sackboy.

designheadache 05 March, 2010 @ 13:49

Got a chance to play this at the Eurogamer Expo in Leeds last year, it was definitely a stand out game of the show and ooozed fun.

CANT WAIT!

Croopnick_PL 05 March, 2010 @ 13:56

Looks crazy :D

Loving the art style, cartoony but quite clean. I’ll be sure to check out the Eurogamer interview when it comes out.

Looks like a strong edition to Sony’s “Play Create Share” genre… I will keep an eye out for this one…

Can’t wait, amazing that this is being made by such a small team.

Wow, looks like so much fun! Trophy reveal before launch? :)

26.1

We’re literally adding some Trophies right now. Feel free to shout any suggestions.

I’ve been following this game since seeing it at the Eurogamer Expo 2009, where I had the chance to speak to the guys there and even did a couple of articles on tuwc.co.uk way back in October 2009.( http://tuwc.co.uk/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=240:introducing-hello-games-part-1&catid=68:interviews&Itemid=99).

I said then and still believe now that this is gonna be a massive, fun game, with a lot of content sharing going on.

At the time Sean and the Team wern’t sure which platform the title would be available on, but I’m glad to see that its headed for the PS3. Best news I’ve had all week :)

makingdamage 05 March, 2010 @ 14:52

This looks really funny! Looks like a comic version of that xbox game Trials HD (which is really good, so bring it to us!).

trophy suggestion , play the game for 25 hours or more . longevity at its finest all games should have a 25 hour trophy

that trophy should be silver or gold m8 lol

This looks amazing :D

Looks great. I am buying it for sure. Highest average altitude trophy?

how about a trophy for coming 3nd? ;))

Sweet! Loved it at EG Expo :D And spoke with one of you :)

1st day purchase for me

insane bail distance trophy!!! If you can use things such as the mouse traps to continue falling forward and stuff! Guessing you’ll be including trophies for things such as insane stunts and combos?

I love this sort of game, reminds me of the trial bike challenges!

this looks so cool man! :D

make a “shark foursome” trophy, where 4 players must all dive into that shark tank in one race :p

Trophy Suggestion:

Crunch Time – Collide with 50 objects :-)

hows that!

Just a big old thank you Hello Games
This is the game all us big kids have waited for since the ps3 came out
trophy suggestion.
1.The Nutcracker you can work this one out i think
2.Dubble Bail when you bail from your bike onto another rider

Can’t wait. the game looks Awesome!!!

Looks pretty cool.

looks great guys, congrats!

I’m impressed by this, looks good fun :) Thinking about spending a few pennies on this now :)

I will so get this one :P

funnydude6556 05 March, 2010 @ 17:45

sounds awesome I have an idea for a trophy. Have one for getting all the trophies, we’ll call it a platinum trophey! Wait you mean Sony already have that?

Jokes. How About a trophy for getting all the DANGER icons? Or you could go down the Spolsion man route and have one for watching the credits and then make it a secret trophey it’d be funny to see how many trophey hoarders get that trophey.

This game looks sheer genius, create and share. this is why I like the ps3 ^^

If this game is anywhere near as good as it looks and sounds then I am definitely buying it! Simplistic perfection.

Online play should be an essential feature to this game though,it would benefit greatly from it.

Day 1 buy! This looks great! Hope it is PSN exclusive!

RadioactiveMouse 05 March, 2010 @ 18:30

Anyone based in Guildford has my attention :D

Looks really good guys. Read a bit on it ages ago but looks and sounds soo much better now!

This is nothing more than Excitebike for 2010. Unoriginal.

Amherst_Wind_4 05 March, 2010 @ 20:12

You should have an “Epic Fail” trophy, for failing to land a stunt that would have gotten you a huge amount of points. :)

or a trophy for staying in a wheelie for a set amount of time, mainly for the name “Wheelie Good At This”.

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history