Joe Danger: Coming To PSN June 9th!

Hello World!

It’s exciting to be back on the Playstation Blog. It’s even more exciting to be able to announce that Joe Danger, the PS3 exclusive title that allows you to fulfill your daredevil fantasies, is about to launch on PSN this June 9th!

I can’t describe what it feels like to see our own game actually hit the Playstation Store. My three friends and I at Hello Games couldn’t be more nervous and giddy. We barely slept for the last few months, trying to get the game finished and polished. I doubt we’ll sleep for a month more, trying to stay on top of the leaderboards.

What I really can’t wait for is the surprises we have in store for Playstation gamers. This has been a total labor of love for us, and I’m really looking forward to seeing what people think of the game.

If you want to know more about the Joe Danger, you can read some previews here, here and here, but first let me tell you a bunch of stuff you might not know.

Stunt, Create and Share

Creating levels in Joe Danger is as fast and fun as playing the game itself. In fact, you never leave the game! As you ride through your level, press Edit at any time to freeze the world and play about with it however you want. You can drop a ramp then launch Joe over it, or place a Shark Tank just before he lands.

You can even create your own challenges to send to your friends. Lay down the gauntlet with your own Multiplayer race level, or set out a Coin Dash against the clock, or a tricky Target Smash.

You can complete a friends level, then just add some more danger and send it right back, for the ultimate challenge. That’s how we’ve created all our own levels in the game.

Joe Danger is a BIG game.

You take Joe from zero to hero across eleven tours, which are each made up of up to ten levels. Levels are set in a crazy diverse set of hazard filled game modes like Target Smash, Assault Course, Race, Coin Dash, Bowling Bounce and Puzzle Mode.

Each of those levels feature a Highscore table and up to eight challenge stars earned by thrilling the crowd. Some involve collecting hidden pick-ups high in the sky using skilful boosting, beating Team Nasty to the finish line, collecting the letters of D-A-N-G-E-R , racing against the clock, launching your bike at top speed towards a rack of bowling pins and scoring a strike, or keeping the crowd cheering as you combo a whole level. Sometimes you’ll be trying to do all of those things at once!

Community

Joe Danger is all about playing with friends, because playing Joe Danger together is how we’ve built this game. That might mean passing the pad on a heart-breakingly difficult Coin Dash, or punching your rivals off their bike in Splitscreen. Sometimes it’s crossing the finish line to immediately see all your online friends highscores, and instantly restarting. More often, it’s about downloading a new level and trying to complete it, before making your own tweaks.

We want this to be a competitive game, something to play with friends and one we hope you’ll want to tell everyone about.

The date is June 9th in Europe, Australia and New Zealand and we really hope you enjoy it!

You can keep up to date with Hello Games and Joe Danger on our blog, follow us on Twitter or even just send us mail!

This has been published a day later than it has on the US PlayStation.Blog to allow its author to respond to your comments more immediately.

46 Comments
6 Author replies

AWESOME! looking forward to picking up a copy. Any ideas on price guys? rough idea is fine (under a tenner/more than a tenner)

Great to see its coming out next week, really been looking forward to this

Do you have any plans to continue the game with add on packs at a later date e.g. new objects etc.

£9.99 according to Eurogamer. Glad to see it has offline multiplayer too. So many games are missing that nowadays!

Bloody_Marcel 01 June, 2010 @ 16:09

Great news! Will buy on that very day!

you forgot the price again sean :P

Sean Murray 01 June, 2010 @ 16:40
5.1

:) I totally have forgotten the price!

The price is £9.99 in the UK ($14.99 in the States). As I say in the post, it’s a big game, with lots of gameplay. We’re a small indie and as such not totally in control of pricing, but we think it’s really good value ;)

DiscoMcDisco 01 June, 2010 @ 16:12

If LBP had stunts, it’d be Dangerous.

Looking forward to this folks, for such a big game I imagine the price is around £14.99? It’s getting picked up as soon as I have the net back on the 8th :D

SOLD! :D
I really cant wait to play this game!
And, what’s about the price, Sean? (Hope 9,99€ :P )

demo?

almighty-slayer 01 June, 2010 @ 16:14

Sold! Game looks awesome and i love to support a small developer :)

DANGER!

Question for Sean: How will community-created tracks work? Can you pick them up straight off the main menu like in LittleBigPlanet, or do you have to download them first like in ModNation Racers?

think the price will be 12euro

#Roxas598

They are a group of 4people i dont think they have time to make a demo.

Question to Sean: The game is localized in Italian?

Sean Murray 01 June, 2010 @ 16:28
13.1

Joe Danger will launch localised in French, Italian, German and Spanish! The game will release in all European stores simultaneously and if there’s enough demand for other languages we’ll patch them in.

It’s really a very arcadey game though, so not super text heavy :)

TheSabreman 01 June, 2010 @ 16:19

Just read the tweet from @hellogames

Good Luck with the Joe Danger :)

Looks even better than Wheelie on the Spectrum, can’t wait !

This game has been on my radar since I saw it on Gametrailers TV, I look forward to getting it as it looks fun. :)

Diablo_Rosso 01 June, 2010 @ 16:33

This looks like a fun game. Any chance of a demo?

Thanks for reply Sean ;-)
Can’t wait to put my hands on Joe Danger :D

Awesome stuff! This has been my most hyped PSN game all year, glad it’s only 8 days away now! Will be buying a PSN Card at the weekend just to get this. The game looks awesome and a whole lot of fun. :D

Looks great, count me in. Wish you had of used a monkey to ride the bike though. :)

Sean Murray 01 June, 2010 @ 17:10
19.1

LOL

You must be that one person who reads our blog :D

Thanks so much for your support, we really appreciate it!

Have been watching this game for a long time and i cant wait for next week, Joe Danger looks epic and i am hoping it will recreate that great gaming buzz me and my mates had with games in the past that created a competitive environment whilst been fun to play.

Well done Hello Games, cant wait to see what you do with this and future projects!

Looks like a blast! Can’t wait to check it out. :)
Any chance of a demo?

Sean Murray 01 June, 2010 @ 17:05
21.1

Thanks!

We are a small team and totally focused on just finishing Joe Danger and releasing it at the moment. After this we’d definitely like to look at doing a demo if we can though. I think they’re a good idea generally.

It might take a while to put together, but in the meantime we’ll try to release lots of videos and information so people can get a good idea of what the game is before they buy.

“We’re working around the clock to make sure that the two dates are as close as possible. We’re based in the UK, so I know that pain of waiting for games sometimes ;)

We’re hopefully going to be able to make an announcement about the European date really, really soon. As soon as we get the go ahead we’ll post on the European Blog.

The dates will be as close as we can possibly make them”

You know, you could have just said “we’re announcing it tomorrow/soon on the EU blog”

That was a stupid thing to lie about. I’ll never understand why PR for games is managed like a political campaign.

How many MB?? (Megabytes)

Hopefully the 3ND place is still there!

makingdamage 01 June, 2010 @ 17:07

I cant wait to ride with Joe danger! And hurt him :P This is one of the few psn games I will buy without the need of a demo.

makingdamage: The preview version of the game was pretty awesome anyway. See the Swedish hands-on here: http://www.eurogamer.se/articles/joe-danger-forhandstest

Can’t wait to get my hands on the final thing.

I’d love more gameplay video before release! :P

Thanks for getting a launch date so very close to the US launch! I expected having to wait for a week or two, that would have been fine as well, bu this is a really pleasant surprise. It’s really appreciated!
The price seems fair as well.

this looks quality! any info on how deep your ‘trick’ system is going to be, trailer only seemed to show basic ‘flip’ moves.

looks a lot of fun

Sean Murray 01 June, 2010 @ 17:52
29.1

Good Question! That’s me playing in the video, so I’m to blame for not showing off the trick system enough!

One thing that often isn’t obvious is that Joe Danger is a racer and a platformer, but it’s also all about Highscores. We wanted to create this Tony Hawks-esque combo mechanic that kind of draws together all the different elements of the game and adds a huge amount of replayability.

You have full control of Joe on his bike, so you can lean back and you’ll pop a wheelie. That’ll start your combo going, then in the air you can maybe lean forward and do a forward flip. If you have enough air, you can start pulling tricks – Superman, the Funky Chicken, Handstands, Handlebar sits – basically if you can do it on a stunt bike, you can do it in our game (plus lots more you can’t!)

Hold a trick until just before you hit the ground and you earn a Perfect bonus, let go too late though and you’ll be flung from the bike :o

As well as stringing tricks together into combos to earn huge score...

Show full comment

As well as stringing tricks together into combos to earn huge scores, they also earns you boost. Tricks earn you boost, boost gives you more speed and bigger air, so you can perform even bigger tricks and earn more boost.

Awesome, day 1 purchase. Been waiting (relatively) patiently for this.

Day one.

now the ultimate question what region are getting it and how many regions are getting shafted

Sean Murray 01 June, 2010 @ 19:04
32.1

Good News! We’re coming out in every SCEE PSN region on the same day (that’s all of Europe, as well as Australia and New Zealand). We’ve worked really hard to make sure we do :)

Akira_Tenshi 01 June, 2010 @ 20:08

Hope the framerate is better then it is in this video!

Really looking forward to the game and i wish you guys all the success.

But i got one more question. Will it be 12,99 Euro oder 14,99 Euro for us non UK people?

Do you know the price in euros sean?

what part of ireland are you from by the way Sean?

Im from sligo :)

FistOfJustice 01 June, 2010 @ 20:42

trophy’s?

Can’t buy day one (due to not getting paid until next Saturday :P) but I will pick it up (digitally), it reminds me of Trials combined with Excitebike and that’s no bad thing.

Looks awesome fun.

You say “We’re coming out in every SCEE PSN region on the same day (that’s all of Europe, as well as Australia and New Zealand).”

You mean South Africa as well right?

I`ve been keeping my eyes on this for a while now as it reminds me of Kikstart 2 on Spectrum and Amiga which I spent way too long playing.
Hopefully I`ll lose more time with this :D

Thank you for being release in all region i am looking forward 2 it and will buy when it is released

Hello Games consists of four people? Wow! That’s mad! And four people can pull of an amazing game like this? Great work Sean and Co with this!

Can’t wait to play this. Looked ace at the eurogmaer expo in Leeds.

It looks fun but I am currently playing Modnation Racers. Is this game similiar in gameplay?

THC_PRITCHARD 02 June, 2010 @ 13:20

please make a play create share fps game Pleeeeese

Joe danger looks amazing

Hi,

I’m really excited with this game but I have two doubts.

How muck will it cost in Euros?

When the realease in portuguese language? Sony Portugal usually translates their exclusives, so talk to them!

SlipperyFella 05 June, 2010 @ 13:36

IGN just gave it a 9.5 guys, first day purchase for me, looks awesome :)

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history