Posted

PlayStation at E3: 1997

Just one year after the 1996 Olympics, Atlanta’s Georgia Dome and World Congress Centre welcome a different kind of games. Thousands of visitors stormed E3 1997 and while many of them went to play Final Fantasy VII, all of them left talking about Metal Gear Solid.

Konami revealed a non-playable version of their tactical espionage classic and left the crowd craving more. The idea of not killing everything in sight and sneaking around in the shadows was a true innovation in those days and Metal Gear Solid’s lavish style offered that cinematic experience that people were by now demanding from their games.

There was also a strong line-up of sequels to popular PlayStation games. There was Crash Bandicoot 2, Tomb Raider 2, Resident Evil 2 and Cool Boarders 2, not to mention an introduction to a new PlayStation hero: PaRappa the Rapper.

28 Comments
7 Author replies

I love how the graphics in the MGS trailer is almost nothing like the final game! :P

Metal Gear Solid … Nuff said

Awesome. Love these James, keep it up!

James Gallagher 04 June, 2010 @ 17:31
3.1

I’m going to… I’ve nearly written them all now and am digging around YouTube for cool videos. It’s 1998 tomorrow!

Ah MGS! Gotta love guards that could only see 6 foot in front of them… advance like my ass!

Was such a classic game though.

James Gallagher 04 June, 2010 @ 17:31
4.1

And how often do these guys need to sleep?

“E3 1997 had the strongest line-up of PlayStation games to date but it was Solid Snake who stole the show, and not for the last time…”

Are you hinting to a Metal Gear Solid 5?

James Gallagher 04 June, 2010 @ 17:32
5.1

Nope, although I’m a bit worried I may have just leaked Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of the Patriots… when’s the embargo?

almighty-slayer 04 June, 2010 @ 17:12

MGS was and still is my favourite game ever.

Love it :) Own about 4 different versions of it lol

James Gallagher 04 June, 2010 @ 17:30
6.1

It’s on my list. Actually I think I mention my favourite game ever on an upcoming post… not that it’s vastly interesting for anyone to know!

Wow, trailers have come a long way if that was breathtaking back in 97. It’s an awful trailer, not showing the game well at all. I might compare it to the Killzone 3 gameplay trailer thats apparently coming soon just to see how different the approach is.

Well,

Ocarina of Time > Metal Gear Solid

Awesome, awesome game. Why it can’t be remade for PS3 is beyond me….they have most of the MGS1 assets in MGS4 to do it. T’would be amazing.

Pass the idea along, James! :P

James Gallagher 04 June, 2010 @ 17:50
9.1

It would. I met Kojima at gamescom last year but I don’t know whether I’ll see him at E3 or not. I’ll suggest it but I don’t think I’ll be the first!

A remake would be nice with the MGS4 engine, but only if it would be a 1:1 transition not like Twin Snakes that took a few liberties in sound mixing and change of cutscenes that didn`t work as good as the original sound and scenes. :)

Carnivius_Prime 04 June, 2010 @ 18:12

@8 sorry mate, That’s my most hated game of all time right there, and I loved Zelda on NES/SNES/GB.

Show full comment

Anyways 1997 was when I got into PlayStation as there wasn’t much coming out on my SNES anymore and the N64 was the biggest piece of crap I’ve ever owned. I got physically ill playing any of it’s blurry, jerky games though Starfox 64 was quite lovely. for me though the best thing about 1997 was Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, by far and away my most favorite PS1 game and until Uncharted 2 recently my most fave of all time. And I bought it at a time where most people seemed to slam it for being 2D, well it still looks lovely whereas most 3D PS1 games now look like garbage (never really got into 3D until the PS2 cos it was so ugly in the PS1/Saturn era ‘cept for the odd couple of games like Ridge Racer Type 4). At least it’s now rightfully regarded as a classic and yet it’s still not on our PS Store and the US/Jap stores have had it for 3 years or so now. Ya forced me to get it off the US one.

James Gallagher 04 June, 2010 @ 19:12
11.1

Symphony of the Night… there’s one. As soon as I started writing these I knew I’d kick myself for forgetting games. That one had an ace soundtrack.

Carnivius_Prime 04 June, 2010 @ 18:12

Metal Gear Solid’s decent too and I love the Solid Snake character but I wish I hadn’t paid the £7.99 for it on PS Store recently as it turns out I have no desire to play it again and it just feels incredibly clunky to play. Oh and 1997 had Soul Blade which still is pretty much the only Namco fighting game I’ve truly enjoyed. And I loved playing Time Crisis as well which came out that year. Yeah that’s the year Nintendo lost me as a fan with new shoddy hardware & games and I bought my first of several PlayStation branded consoles.

xchris2008x 04 June, 2010 @ 18:12

PaRappa the Rapper i miss that game :(

I still have my original MGS I bought way back in 1997.

almighty-slayer 04 June, 2010 @ 18:27

Posted on 4 June, 2010 at 5:32 pm by James Gallagher

Never heard of that instalment before mate ;) Is a cross between MGS2 and MGS4? Haha

James Gallagher 04 June, 2010 @ 19:11
15.1

Agh, there was me trying to be all proper and get the name right. CORRECTION: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. The problem with being old enough to have bought these games on day one is that my memory is failing!

Metal Gear Solid :P WHAT A GAME! ! ! :P

James when you suggest to Kojima making another MGS game be careful he doesn’t engage in CQC and snap your neck. You wouldn’t be the first.

I’m sure lots of people have bugged him about remakes and I personally would love him to remake MGS1 in HD. But, wishes are like fishes, there are so many of them!

But actually, some of use fans want him to come up with some original stuff. Though I really would like to get some ports of MGS2 and 3 because I only had the chance to play through MGS3 once.

TL;DR
Kojima, do everything!

Dave-The-Rave 04 June, 2010 @ 18:57

This trailer back in the day made me thing you could blow up the base with enough C4 !! lol

It’s easy to see why that trailer blew people away at E3, it contains so many things that we take for granted in games today but that had never been seen before in games 13 years ago, give it a bit of HD polish and you’d be excited if it was a trailer for a game coming out next month!

Legendary times for Playstation!

RavetodaGrave_ 04 June, 2010 @ 22:14

What are you going to do when you reach E3 1999? and after that? are you going to show all the PS2 games we cant play? Cause theres no backwards compatibility on PS3. Eff SONY

RavetodaGrave_ 04 June, 2010 @ 22:19

Also do somthing about the PS3 OS. The XMB is 8 years old bring out something new

VincentVendetta 05 June, 2010 @ 02:18

Can I ask a question? Why isn’t the US PlayStation blog doing the same thing as you? It’s on their side after all.

What a classic game Metal Gear Solid is.

I still remember playing the demo and my mum asked me when the “movie” is going to come out. :D

Stonesthrow 05 June, 2010 @ 14:29

Metal gear solid changed everything for me..it’s the day i became a real gamer..never heard of mgs at the time, played the demo, was instantly sold, got the fullgame the same day and played through it non stop for 2 days.. it’s the day i realized that gaming and games arent necessaraly an activity for geeks or nerds, and can very well be epic and badass, it’s the day i started apprecriating games on a whole new level, not even the coolest movies could come close to this..it’s the day i found new hero’s, solid snake and hideo kojima..all by all, the day metal gear solid released changed my whole life..unlike any other game..thats why its still my alltime favorite game..

BugattiEBveyron 05 June, 2010 @ 15:23

Crash Bandicoot 2, the best CB ever.

Shadow-King 06 June, 2010 @ 12:51

Metal Gear Solid….one word Classic. I still own the original disc for PS1 and the VR training mission disc! I loved playing as Gray Fox! Good Times!

Magnitude_V1 06 June, 2010 @ 14:29

An Ico/Shadow Collection being confirmed at E3 would be great news but a MGS Collection would win E3 hands down. Please make it happen, pretty please with a cherry on top.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history