Posted

Trans-Atlantic World Cup Bravado

Jeff Rubenstein, ayatollah of the US PlayStation Blog, and I got talking about football earlier in the week. It started along the lines of him saying: “Oh yeah… so I hear USA is playing Great Britain in the World Series just before E3.”

And, in an outrageous display of confidence, he issued a wager: if USA beat England on Saturday, then for the rest of the competition, I have to have a Stars and Stripes banner at the top of the EU PlayStation Blog and I must change my avatar to the U.S. Soccer badge.

Of course, If England win then it’s St. George’s Cross atop their blog for a month and three lions next to Jeff’s name.

I see it as fitting punishment for letting Diana Ross take that penalty in 1994.

So come on England!

Jeff Rubenstein, Eddie Pope, Raymond Carver, Eddie Van Halen, Alec Baldwin, Eddie Murphy, Britney Spears, Nathan Drake… your boys are in for one hell of a beating!

61 Comments
3 Author replies
dannycorker 12 June, 2010 @ 09:04

If we don’t beat the Yanks at our own game I doubt we’ll ever get over it….COME ON ENGLAND!!!!

Bloody_Marcel 12 June, 2010 @ 09:04

Is this one of the “huge” announcements?

USA for the win!

this is great!!! if not denmark (now thats a dream huh?) then england needs to win the cup!

almighty-slayer 12 June, 2010 @ 09:08

This is awesome haha. Come on England, do it for Playstation :D I wanna see the yanks with St George’s flag across the top of their blog :p

He doesn’t know what he’s let himself in for! Looks like the US Blog is going to be acquiring the St George’s Cross!

And now that the wager is set, it’ll be a draw lol

Looks like the yanks will be gaining the st. george cross lol Come on England!

Mon the Yanks!!!

World Series?!?!? Soccer?!? Speak English guys.

England is a good team, but Spain is better, the Final Spain-Brazil.

C’mon England !!

Football World Cup FTW!!!

Oh, one more thing, you Americans should stop calling it soccer, it’s American Football (played with your hands) and Football (played with your foot/feet).

“world series” lol.

Hey James
Bret ‘The Hitman’ Heart, is Canadian not American. Don’t insult the Cans with a comment like that.

James Gallagher 12 June, 2010 @ 12:40
16.1

Oops, I never knew that. Don’t want to upset our Canadian readers (and definitely not him) so I’ve taken him out.

C’mon England!

I dont think i could visit the blog for a month with the US flag on it ;)

jurgen_fool 12 June, 2010 @ 10:23

England is going to show America the time of their life in that football pitch today…it’ll consist of a number of goals :D

moriarty1975 12 June, 2010 @ 10:25

Bret Hart is from canada.

hollandnigel 12 June, 2010 @ 10:27

They’ll probably end up getting it wrong and putting the Union flag!

Two things James.

You need to correct young Jeff that it’s England v USA, not Great Britain v USA lol…oh and that it’s not hte World Series lol.

Secondly, Brett “The Hitman” Hart is a canuck…not American lol.

I’d like to see England winning today though…making all those tanks have to look at an English banner on the blog would be pretty funny lol

Smoutefretter_BE 12 June, 2010 @ 10:29

C’mon England, I’m watching the match tonight and with this they better win!

I don’t want to see the US stars and stripes on this beautiful blog!

but what will happen if the draw?

and for the rest of the World Championship I’ll give my credits to Holland! (sorry fellow Danish members, I just have to do this :P Belgium & Holland are neighbours so)

and indeed Bret Hart is a Canadian!

I’m supporting the US in this one because my club has a player on their team.
Still I hope England advances, it wouldn’t be a real World Cup without them failing at penalties. ;-)

albaniafoot 12 June, 2010 @ 11:24

i am waiting for the HUGE announcements … ???

I told @UNCyrus (Playstation tester in the US) that if USA wins the world cup I would eat my shoe.

So go England, Kick there ass!

Yeah! Go Socceroos!….

Wait what? England v USA? Ah wells. Go America *ahem* England!

haha thats a pretty cool wager, good stuff!

C’mon England!

As someoene from Belfast, can I just say….

USA! USA! USA!

:P

loadstone007s 12 June, 2010 @ 13:29

Wow, the US blog must be way too cocky to agree to this bet.
England are a much better team than the US, especially due to the fact that UK hosts one of the best leagues in the world (along Spain).

Did you know that the last time the US beat England was in 1950 (1-0 win)? The second team of England would beat the US too!

LOL

WilliamBirkin 12 June, 2010 @ 14:37

USA will not beat England. So tell your fellow US buddy (Jeff R.) to replace the US flag with an english one on the us blog, for a month.

He might just add it right now. Thats for sure.

Im looking forward to the game wich will end 4 – 1 to england.

offtopic: HAHA @ greece. byebye to you.

what if it’s a draw?
not that that’s likely to happen. :)

forgot to add, england FTW.

We will win, and those americans will have to remember who their colonial masters are (england) and wear our flag for a month!

Carnivius_Prime 12 June, 2010 @ 15:50

I thank the way Adblock can block any image I choose on my Firefox then.

BritishBlue 12 June, 2010 @ 16:09

Oh my god, this is gonna be hilarious if we win. XD

Not so hilarious if we don’t. O_O

EU blog = UK blog confirmed.

xchris2008x 12 June, 2010 @ 17:03

Who gives a beep about football, but dont put a yanks flag on our blog it’s bad enough hearing them on psn :P

Da_Evil_Monkey 12 June, 2010 @ 17:06

I hope England fail completely, maybe then they’ll stop putting those annoying “Come on England” adverts on TV, you know the are 3 more countries in the UK besides England that don’t want to hear this pish.

xchris2008x 12 June, 2010 @ 17:11

@ 38

Most people around my area NEVER take them down :(

well…….. 1-1, nothing happens? or do you both change banners?

James Gallagher 13 June, 2010 @ 15:53
42.1

Haha, we never really discussed that. Things stay as they are I suppose.

so that question i posted about a draw?

Yeah it’s a draw, what happens now?

Smoutefretter_BE 12 June, 2010 @ 21:27

yep what’s going to happen now?

Just a shame the goal from US, TY Green! :(

almighty-slayer 12 June, 2010 @ 21:43

Damn it, was looking forward to seeing St George’s flag at the top of the US blog.

Man, oh, man. What happened? :)
Why does it feel like a win over here? I’m sure it’s different in good ol’ Blighty.

Let’s re-up the bet if we rematch later in the tournament, as unlikely as that is.

:D

James Gallagher 13 June, 2010 @ 15:55
47.1

There’s a bit of disappointment here but the general consensus is that it’s not the end of the world… yet. See you on Tuesday.

what happens if its a draw? lols

almighty-slayer 13 June, 2010 @ 01:16

Lol Jeff. Good to see you here on the EU blog ;)

I hope you corrected him on it being USA vs England, not GB.

And for the record, football was created in Scotland, not England.

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history