Posted

A Chat With Kazunori Yamauchi, Creator Of Gran Turismo

While the new Gran Turismo 5 trailer at the SCEA E3 press conference was still fresh in the mind, a select few journalists were invited to a behind closed doors presentation from the father of GT, Kazunori Yamauchi, at the Los Angeles Conference Centre.

Yamauchisan 1

We were shown the Lounge feature, which gives every player a dedicated area to host their car collection and results, and the online lobbies where you and a group of friends can race, perform test laps, chat and watch other people driving. The floor then opened for questions with my favourite being when someone asked if Kazunori had visited every location used in the game.

I have to be moved by something in one of my games so I have visited every location used in the game, either personally or for work

When the room was clear he sat down with just me to answer a few more questions, starting with what he was trying to put across with the new trailer.

I think first and foremost it’s the quality of the visuals and that cool style that Gran Turismo is known for. There was also a part showing some of work we have been doing with the Red Bull racing team. We wanted to show people that we are communicating with the real [racing] world on a lot of different things.

I then asked how much community feedback had shaped the game’s development.

The Gran Turismo community gives us a great deal of courage and we have already had a lot of positive feedback from them on our new trailer. That gives our staff the drive to keep getting better.

The playable build here at E3 is designed to show people as many of the game’s features as possible in a short space of time. It’s made so that you can see the tracks, the new physics and some of the new visual effects that we’ve been working hard on. The tracks include Rome, Madrid and the Top Gear Test Track, which many of our fans have been asking for.

We then moved onto stereoscopic 3D, which Gran Turismo 5 will support, it was announced on Tuesday. I wanted to know at which point in the game’s development he had decided to include the feature.

The 3D feature was almost complete two years ago, actually. We could see that it was in that natural flow of technology and where things were heading. Discussions with Sony regarding 3D technology began more than three years ago. More recently we have spoken with Evolution Studios, who have put a lot of work into stereoscopic 3D, about things like video formats.

Because Gran Turismo 5 is built to run at 60 frames per second it was easy for us to implement 3D. It’s quite difficult to convert a game that runs at 30 frames per second to 3D.

There ended our short conversation and we parted ways. As always when I meet Kazunori, I left wondering which car he drove back to the hotel.

36 Comments
4 Author replies

Not to nag James, but when is the GT manager going to post the EU release date/CE bundle retailer info…

James Gallagher 18 June, 2010 @ 17:50
1.1

It’s difficult to promise on other peoples’ behalf but I’m *hoping* he will do it next week when we all get back from E3.

Yep, we’re still all waiting for the CE informations for Europe. I want to pre-order it already! Please :O

yeah, pleeeease lol, as long as the release date is similar to usa, i dont mind. just please not 2011 haha :D

Trailer is broke on the Store.

James Gallagher 18 June, 2010 @ 18:17
4.1

There’s nothing I can do about it from here but I’m certain Mike Kebby will be aware of this and doing all he can to fix it.

Hi James, any idea what resolution it’ll run at in 3D? I’ve heard 1080, confirm or deny?

Thanks :), can’t wait to play it on my 3D Bravia.

James Gallagher 18 June, 2010 @ 17:55
5.1

I didn’t ask that question I’m afraid (my bad) so I’m not really in a position to confirm or deny.

oh, and whats this ” pirelli challenge” on the downloads section?

Thanks for this bit of information :)
Three things though:
-when we can expect EU details for collector’s edition? Realllyyyy don’t want to miss out on that one ,
-is there a new GT demo planned for PSN+?
-please fix trailer on PSN

Cheers

I bet he drove his Ford GT. :P

“Trailer is broke on the Store.”

And it’s called “Grant” Turismo…

GTP_Zimmerd 18 June, 2010 @ 17:36

Yes, thanks for the information!
But I’m curious about the EU release date too!
Please let us know very quickly;)
(bad experiences with the word ‘soon’:p)

#9

Yeah, that made me laugh. Maybe Grant from Eastenders is the Stig?

(Twisted Metal X was also broken)

Could i have a free copy of the game please ?

Hi! I wanted to know if there will be demo of KH Birth by Sleep for the West?

JordanBlack68 18 June, 2010 @ 18:01

Fix the trailers!

So it’s all over the Internet that 800 of the cars are upscaled PS2 quality and will not have cockpit view. No cockpit view! What were they thinking? It’s industry standard these days. This is the problem when there is no community manager, which PD should have had from day one.

Epic fail Kaz.

Some say he’s been in development for over 5 years, and that you can’t see him properly unless you’re wearing 3D glasses. All we know is he’s NOT the Stig, but he is the Stig’s virtual cousin!

BalramRules 18 June, 2010 @ 18:50

Have Polyphony ever discussed about adding the Play, Create & Share feature to Gran Turismo 5, whilst remaining all of its features, and what makes it a true driving simulator (without it making the machanics more like ModNation Racers).

Should have asked if all 1000 cars will have cockpits or if it is only the 200 premium models which will.

@BalramRules

“Have Polyphony ever discussed about adding the Play, Create & Share feature to Gran Turismo 5”

I’d hope they prioritise getting all 800 standard cars as premiums ready for PS4’s GT before thinking about Play,create share functions.

Nice questions, the top gear test track made me smile watching the conference. This will definately be worth the wait.

should have asked if the stig would be creating some ghost laps for the top gear test track, racing against the stig, even in ghost form, would be cool.
will gt tv return for gt5?

James Gallagher 18 June, 2010 @ 21:47
21.1

I’ve heard that only 200 cars will have cockpit view. Please tell me I’m wrong!!

@James Gallagher

“I agree, that would be a great idea. I suppose you could note down the times from the show and race against those.”

A cooler way would be if they fitted the Lacetti with the GT5 DLVT

@devilmaker

“So… Kazunori said that 3D was easy to implement as the game’s running at 60fps? Does that mean with 3D enabled the game’s only playing at 30fps?!”

It depends,if they can make GT5 hit a 120fps second in 2D mode,it could do 60fps in 3D.If not it would be like wipeout HD and run at 30fps.
I personally would never accept a fps loss on current systems for the sak of 3D,it’s bad enough most 3D games will go sub hd in 3D.So far I think super star dust is the only HD3D game for PS3,and it’s 60fps *bows at Housemarque bows*

I think the 3D push is probably a gen early for the home systems,but obviously the big TV companies want you buying this tech before the next gen 3D screens come around.

@vonhammer

I believe the way the 3d works is th frames per second are halfed but they show to pictures at once, it gives you the dpth perception and apparently becuse the shuffle the frames it still runs at 60FPS but also give a 3d effect.

Someone please correct me if i’m wrong.

well if the game runs with 60FPS in normal mode it will display 30FPS per eye in 3D mode as there is a switch from one eye to another each frame to simulate the 3D effect.

As for GT5 in 3D, I`m not 100% sure but I think I was reading somewhere it would run in 720p when 3D is enabled. That would make sense since 3D and 1080p both require a higher amount of resources.

3D or not should be a nice game, looks very polished they really put the long development time to good use.

@James: Any idea when we can expect to get some info regarding the singleplayer/career mode? So far there was not much information about that part of the game and would like to know if the good old license tests will be back and the career mode like it was in the previous GT games.

Xx_UntouchablexX 19 June, 2010 @ 13:14

Any chance you could tell me the name of the song in the new e3 gran turismo 5 trailer ?

@Cidi

“Any idea when we can expect to get some info regarding the singleplayer/career mode? So far there was not much information about that part of the game and would like to know if the good old license tests will be back and the career mode like it was in the previous GT games.”

There’s been plenty of info on the career mode. Check http://www.gran-turismo.com/ There’s a screenshot of the new world map that shows the there are license tests, etc. ;)

Thanks StevoB, somehow I was reading all the stuff about GT5 but never looked at the GT site.

Untouchable if you mean the song from the GT retrospective trailer thats Big Bad Wolf by The Heavy.

gompiefreak 19 June, 2010 @ 21:53

hi,

I want to know if GT5 has a photo mode and a tuning mode like GT4, because that where things i did realy enjoyed. Like getting the highest highspeed or best accelloration. and i don’t mean that mode that GT5 Proloque has, but the one in GT4 with al that exhausts and engine parts.

ik can’t wait till it will be released in europe.

(sorry for my bad inglisch, dutch you know.)

@gompiefreak

Both of those were comfirmed quite a while back. :)

Rude_Sparthan 20 June, 2010 @ 02:32

please standard cars does have interior view while driving or not..?? this is the last big mistery of gt5.. simple question, please simple reply.. thx

OmieeZF-LIVE 21 June, 2010 @ 16:27

Sorry for asking this here but http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/news/articles/detail/item285382/Talking-games-with-Shuhei-Yoshida/

does this confirm we will have a track editor and weather in GT5.
please some community member respond to this

#16

Loved the ” All we know is he’s NOT the Stig, but he is the Stig’s virtual cousin! ”

CLASSIC!

Xx_UntouchablexX 24 June, 2010 @ 13:30

@Cidi Nope the newest trailer .. this one …
been looking for it for 2 weeks still cant find what it is ?

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.