Posted

DC Comics Explode On To PSP

Today we have some very exciting publisher news for you. From day one you’ve been asking for them. We don’t blame you, they have some of the very best content in the industry, and they even make comics based on PlayStation games! Ladies and gentlemen, drum roll please…..It gives us great pleasure to welcome DC Comics to the Digital Comics realm!

Digital comics Announcement

As of today you have access to an initial selection of over 80 DC Comics that can be downloaded from PlayStation Store including Batman: Hush, Green Lantern: Rebirth, Fables: Legends in Exiles and Planetary: All Over the World and Other Stories. In addition to these launch titles, you’ll get exclusive DC Comics content such as Superman/Batman, Resistance, Free Realms and God of War. Lastly, we’ve also released a free 10 page story today of Superman #700, as well as free downloads of Bayou, Fringe, Mirrors Edge, and Resistance.

We have been working long and hard to make this a reality and I am very excited to finally be able to tell you about it. Digital Comics is a long term project that we build on all the time through our weekly Wednesday releases. With DC joining us today, we have achieved one of our major milestones and are well on our way to delivering the vision that we’ve had for the service from the very beginning.

Of course, this is just the next step for Digital Comics on PSP and I can’t wait to tell you more about our plans. But for the moment, I hope you all give a big welcome to DC and keep on enjoying the service.

We are always keen to hear what fans want to read, so let us know in the comments section below. With over 1600 comics available on the store we hope there is something there for everyone!

40 Comments
19 Author replies

Any news on when the comic service will expand in europe – namely to the netherlands? – we’d be happy to have them in english!

Pauline Martyn 23 June, 2010 @ 15:22
1.1

No news, but we’re working on it.
Comics in English are definitely something we want for foreign stores.

giantkiller01 23 June, 2010 @ 14:53

BATMAN! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pauline Martyn 23 June, 2010 @ 15:22
2.1

:D

Any news on a release in Germany?

Pauline Martyn 23 June, 2010 @ 15:23
3.1

No, but we are working on it! And if you have any Germany-specific requests, make sure you let us know.

My thoughts exactly

Shadowdragoon 23 June, 2010 @ 14:55

Hello there, how is it going? And welcome back Pete.
So, any news about release for the rest of us?
or news about Cross region gifting? ;)

Just wondering, are there any chance we get some Mandrake realeased on the store? ;)

Some info I found out about who we can contact about the Comics for us Scandinavians:
Seems Nordisk Film is handeling atleast the hardware part of playstation here In Norway (and Rest of Scandinavia) http://www.nordiskfilm.com/

Good place for us Scandinavians to post and ask for the comics to come to us is at http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Norsk-lobby/PSN-Digital-Comics/td-p/11001470

Oh, And thanks for the 5 free comics in this update.

imajinetion 23 June, 2010 @ 14:56

You’d think expanding the service would be more profitable than just feeding the small audience you have right now.

Jesus christ.

Pauline Martyn 23 June, 2010 @ 15:26
6.1

If you think we don’t want to expand our service, you are wrong. We do, and we of course understand the importance of releasing in other countries, but it’s not that easy – there are many dependencies outside of our reach. Still, we’re working very hard on this.

Any plan for this service in France? =/

For the moment I use my North American PSN account to download and read some comics, but I’d really enjoy the same thing in French, as I am… French.

Anyway, still a good news! DC Comics is full of great titles!

Pauline Martyn 23 June, 2010 @ 15:28
7.1

We want to! And France has so many amazing comics (Blacksad! De Cape et de Crocs!)… Stay tuned.
Enjoy DC in the meantime. ;-)

Are you guys getting anywhere with the PS3 Digital Comics?

Pauline Martyn 23 June, 2010 @ 15:29
8.1

We don’t have any news but, like expanding to other stores, it’s something we’re working on.

Why would someone want to collect comics digitally?

You can’t sit back and admire your pile, nor trade with other enthusiasts.

What’s the point exactly?

Pauline Martyn 23 June, 2010 @ 15:30
9.1

It must be interesting enough if you are checking our blog? ;-)

Been waiting for DC, so happy they finally decided to join the service :)

Pauline Martyn 23 June, 2010 @ 15:31
10.1

Same here. :-)

Can someone tell us why this isn’t available in the Netherlands (and other countries) ?

Language can’t be an issue here, most of us can read English and don’t even want translations.

Pauline Martyn 23 June, 2010 @ 15:34
11.1

Yes: technical reasons. It’s difficult to open up stores, so we are working on it but a lot of it is outside our control. And English comics are definitely something we want to have there.

Battery-Acid- 23 June, 2010 @ 15:06

This is great, congratulations, and THANK YOU!

Pauline Martyn 23 June, 2010 @ 15:34
12.1

Why thanks. :-)

Battery-Acid- 23 June, 2010 @ 15:09

But one small thing… I can’t find Toy Story 3 in UK Store.
I don’t think it’s there, I mentioned in last week’s post.

Again, thank you very much, this is the best news I’ve had in a while.

Pauline Martyn 23 June, 2010 @ 15:35
13.1

Looking into it as I type – seems like we are having a glitch. Our lovely PSN team is working on it though, so it won’t be long (maybe check in an hour or so). Sorry for the hold-up!

Ravenblade86 23 June, 2010 @ 15:09

Like I said on Twitter to you Pete, really congratulations to all the team on finally getting DC secured and by the looks of it having more content than they have on there own brand new iPhone app.

I can imagine you having a few very happy people around the studio this last week or so knowing not only did you have the update for the digital reader ready (which is better than I had hoped by the way :) ) but you had this little secret to reveal!

Looks like DC aren’t pulling any punches with this either with the likes of Batman: Hush, Green Lantern: Rebirth and both Fables and Planetary (was going to request those two series when I seen the news) in the launch lineup. Plus it will be good to finally be able to check out all those video game IPs that Wildstorm have been doing comics for, especially God of War.

Actually you know what? I’m far more excited about DC hitting PSN Comics than anything that came out of E3 last week :)

Once again, thanks for the great service :)

14.1

Woohoo, Cheers!

PLEASE i want comics on the French PSN

Pauline Martyn 23 June, 2010 @ 15:36
15.1

And so do we! Say tuned.

Give me Watchmen or give me death!

Pauline Martyn 23 June, 2010 @ 15:36
16.1

Eek! :-)

Great news thanks, does anyone know if Dark Horse will join now?

Pauline Martyn 23 June, 2010 @ 15:38
17.1

No news there, sorry… I too want to read Hellboy on my PSP!

If you guys are expanding to Norway you should consider the Norwegian comic stripes Pondus and Kollektivet :)

Pauline Martyn 23 June, 2010 @ 15:42
18.1

Vi vil prøve (?).

I hope this means Watchmen! Wow, the Comics store has come a long way! And what would it be without DC Comics? :D

Pauline Martyn 23 June, 2010 @ 15:43
19.1

Thanks! Good to have them on board.

Chaosprower 23 June, 2010 @ 15:34

Why isn’t this service available in Spain? Not even English comics?

Pauline Martyn 23 June, 2010 @ 15:43
20.1

Because, although we do want to, it’s difficult to open new stores. We’re working on it, don’t think that we are forgetting about you!

Battery-Acid- 23 June, 2010 @ 15:39

Nananananana Batman!
Nananananana DC!
Nananananana Toy Storeee!

@NotZed, I’m a fan of digital comics for a lot of reasons. Loads of comics with one device; easier to obtain, especially if ordering comics online is your only option and you don’t have to worry about keeping your collection in pristine condition. Also, it’s much easier to find very rare, out of print comics.

22.1

^This^

Are we getting Megatokyo since the new volumes were published by DC?

I’d also like to request once more a comic store for Portugal :)

Chalk up another person for the Watchmen wishlist… having that would kickstart my digital comic tastebuds into action!

Bronze era Batman – 1972 – 1984

All Jack Kirbys DC work (New Gods, jimmie Olsen, Mister Miracle)

Make it happen Digital Comics!!… be all you can be!!!

BlueFlameSkulls 23 June, 2010 @ 17:10

I love you right now.

Though don’t slow down just yet. You need to get more DC comics in soon.

Carnivius_Prime 23 June, 2010 @ 17:24

That’s great news. I’m a DC guy mainly so it’s great to see they’ve joined in on this too.

Wow, I used to read comics back when DC started the Vertigo range. I’d definitley be interested again if you bring the comic reader to the PS3, especially if you re-release some of the older titles like Sandman, Doom Patrol, Hell Blazer and Shade:The Changing Man.

BalramRules 23 June, 2010 @ 18:08

LMAO!
Digital Comics AND Detective Comics BOTH have the same initials (DC)! =D

patatdrolleke83 23 June, 2010 @ 18:25

Whoot!
Good news for Digital Comics countries :-( But it’s not available in Belgium :(

Why don’t they open a global PSN Store? :) One place for millions users from different countries? :D

Congratulations to DC and PlayStation.

Great news. I am a huge fan of DC and this just made my day (more than englands result)
THANK YOU PS Digital Comics and DC Comics \o/

Oooh! Requests for when the service finally reaches the Netherlands!

Suske & Wiske.

Yeah, that’s basically it. I have a friend who basically loves these kind of comics, so it would be pretty neat for him if he were able to buy it on PSN.

Oh yeah, and it might be hard to get the rights, especially since I don’t even know if it still exists yet, but De Stamgasten. Perhaps not really all that appropriate though, so I’m not counting on that one.

Awesome, I am a big fan of Resistance. I have all the games and the book. But I don’t have the comics. It seemed pretty crazy that there were comics about a PlayStation franchise that weren’t available on the PS comic store. Very glad to see them up there. They will be my first purchase from the store. After I finish Peace Walker. That shouldn’t take long, right?

you kept this quiet, very sneaky, but i forgive you. :)
great to see dc on board, had to happen sooner or later, especially with the dcu mmo on the home stretch now.
i just ordered another store card and already you’ll have me spending all of it.
dc fans in the uk aren’t really that well catered for outside of the dedicated comic shops so this will be very handy.
i’d like to see some wonderwoman as well as just superman and batman, and the trinity series would be fantastic.
requests already and they only launched yesterday. :)
the comic book store is building up quite a library, i’d buy them all if i had the money, maybe when i win the lottery. :)

Shiro_Kenshiko 24 June, 2010 @ 09:59

Great! I’m looking forward to have DC in Germany!

Is Czech Republic even considered for the store expansion, or are we getting screwed like in all the other cases?

StefNighthawk 24 June, 2010 @ 10:48

Expanding the comic store should be the number one priority. Your customers are growing impatient with all that great news but no way to obtain the content.
It’s been half a year and there is still no estimate on when to expect an expansion.

Thanks for the answers we all wanted. keep up the good work. lookin’ forward to dutch release.

@Pauline

Good effort on the Norwegian language there ;)

Hopefully Blacksad will come in a translated (to English that is) state also, as my French is as good as my ability to play the violin (i.e not very good). Two of the arcs were translated to Norwegian in the EON-magazine, but somehow it lost some ..err.. spirit, when some of the characters were talking Norwegian slang ;)

Eagerly awaiting the international (in the true sense of the word)/Norwegian comic reader/Store!

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history