Posted

PlayStation Home: Mystery of the Wise Man!

While this week is quiet one for new content, it’s an update full of mystery. One of the benefits of our new Home Square is that we can, from time to time, make changes to the content found within the space. Over the coming weeks your Home Square will take on a new look as the current mini-games make way for a new series of features and mini-games.

Our first such change will happen this week, with Shooting Hoops making way for a visit from a wise old man. Those who approach the wise man may be gifted with a cryptic message in the form of a philosophical saying. Can you decipher the mystery of the wise man?

PlayStation Home: Mystery of the Wise Man!

Drop into the stores this week to pick up some great gear from Lockwood. Included in this week’s release are animated sneakers and hoodies (both male and female) and cropped tops with tattoos (female). The Mui Mui Ship could be worth a visit this week as well, with the latest update to the Loco Roco store including another wacky new hat.

We’ve been tracking strong demand on the official forums for an expansion to the variety of female clothing. To help us pinpoint specific content, we’re updating the Polling Booth – which should be more stable after maintenance completes – with a new question asking for community feedback on preferences.

43 Comments
8 Author replies
Spidie_Pig_Rules 21 July, 2010 @ 17:31

Still no hovercrafts *Cries*

Alex Weekes 21 July, 2010 @ 17:48
1.1

I’m not expecting them anytime soon, so probably best to keep your expectations low for the time being.

When will this …thing… get out of beta?

thanks thy for news :)

almighty-slayer 21 July, 2010 @ 17:33

“Sneakers”? *cough*

cool stuff

Joanna_Dark_ 21 July, 2010 @ 17:34

Seriously do you need a poll to find out that women want skirts, dresses, heels and lots more of feminine clothes. Just take a look at the content in North America and Japan.

Joanna

Alex Weekes 21 July, 2010 @ 17:49
6.1

We’ll use the poll to target specific styles, such as formal vs casual, in the immediate future. Our longer term target is to simply release more of everything.

mystery of the wise man, is an SCEE event?

Alex Weekes 21 July, 2010 @ 17:50
7.1

The Wise Man is coming to visitthe SCEE Home Square, yes. What this means you’ll have to wait and see…

Carla_Birch 21 July, 2010 @ 17:41

The poll will hardly be of any use Joanna anyway due to fact that you know that many votes will be from people that dont care about that subject.

Wise man?

Thats my Uncle Herbert! :O

Anyways… Will he award us something for completing his sey tasks? o.0

set tasks I mean ^_^

Alex Weekes 21 July, 2010 @ 17:58
10.1

I didn’t mention any tasks…

Why can’t slow weeks be used for eu to catch up on content we are behind with like irem content , waterfall terrace etc , just looks like you guys aren’t doing much in customers eyes

Why did you guys plaster a huge advertisement for the hovercraft in stuff store window and now say don’t expect them anytime soon lol seems extremely daft

Alex Weekes 21 July, 2010 @ 17:57

Content needs to be ready before we can release it, which involves the developer submitting the content and it passing QA checks. Irem content is still being worked on by the developer, as is a range of other content such as Street Fighter 4.

As noted in the blog, you’ll be seeing the results of recent work as the content available in Home Square is transformed.

Guest-1234321 21 July, 2010 @ 17:59

How long will ‘Mystery of the Wise Man!’ be there for because seriously now, why is it I get banned for nothing ( on my main account ) then everything changes and I miss out on stuff? I even brought £40 in PSN cards and they are now useless till my ban has gone.. I’m sure many people will agree with me that the reporting / banning system needs a lot of work and stop banning people for really stupid things. Getting sick of it now.

Also is that the full update? Really poor if you ask me. Also just one question, wasn’t Home square and shopping centre ment to have a rain feature or was that just a rumour because I haven’t seen it rain yet, nor have people on my friends list.

Alex Weekes 21 July, 2010 @ 18:08
14.1

Wise Man will be around for a few weeks.

Re: weather changes – what has been floating around in the community was a rumour. Nothing has ever been announced officially.

As far as the size of the update: it is unrealistic to expect a large update every single week. Content schedules are such that there will always end up being weeks with relatively smaller amounts of content. In many cases there are embargo dates on content meaning we can’t release it even if it’s ready.

Spidie_Pig_Rules 21 July, 2010 @ 18:00

thanks for the reply alex and would this wise man happen to be tedthedog in hiding :P

Guest-1234321 21 July, 2010 @ 18:10

Okay, thanks for your reply.

loonytoon1982 21 July, 2010 @ 18:16

Small update but will reserve judgement on the old man until I see if for myself.

The poll on the other hand I am pretty skeptical about and it’s really not in the best interests of the female community when they have been stating what they have wanted on the forums for a long time now.

One issue that I would bring up with it is that not everyone deems said styles to be the same. While one may see casual as a hoody and jeans, another may see it as a summer dress or something more feminine. Without a visual aid it’s not going to be easy for them to choose one over the other.

This also leads towards doubt that there was a female orietnted update in the works at all. While I believe this to be true it will only cast further doubt amongst the female users that they are being cast aside to further provide for the male demographic.

Show full comment

Initial reactions from girls in Home is that a poll asking such things is insulting. I’ll be surprised to see much good come out of it in the forseeable future and that’s a shame.

Alex Weekes 21 July, 2010 @ 18:22
17.1

imajinetion 21 July, 2010 @ 18:19

Barely any content this week!? How dare you!?

I pay for this serv-…. Oh wait, no I don’t. But. You always have updated every week, and…. oh wait, no you updated every 2nd week before.

Oh, how can I stay mad at you? <3

Lmao does this old man need sterling cash to talk

loonytoon1982 21 July, 2010 @ 18:33

I understand what you’re saying Alex but the main concern is…

What constitutes as casual, formal, etc.? How do they know what items from other regions are classed as what?

Joanna_Dark_ 21 July, 2010 @ 18:36

Alex all you need to look at is what is selling in North America and Japan when it comes to woman’s fashion. Europe is the fashion capital of the world. I’m very reserved normally in my comments and I don’t really buy content in the EU personally (haven’t really been tempted given the lack of content) but I have EU friends and it really upsets me when I know they have little to choose from.

That female pack is long overdue and a bit more information as to what it includes and when it will arrive would make female home users in the EU very happy.

@9

You only say that because you only have one vote like everyone else (not to say i’ll be voting, unless its a item least voted for just for a laugh lol)

As for today update “..” is all i have to say about it, Two steps forward one step back, thats what Home is to me.

Watch this blatent avoided answer everyone: Hey Alex any news wether EU will get CODENAME mini games?

Alex Weekes 22 July, 2010 @ 10:37
22.1

I’ve already answered this question on the forums, actually.

The majority of the Codename content will be coming here as well.

OMG! what is wrong with you people today? all this bitching and moaning, there is no pleasing some people.

just need to hear.. when can we watch/listen to frinds music and movies in private spaces? seen the trailer for home today ;)

M3RL1NS_N3M3S1S 21 July, 2010 @ 20:00

As a long term home user who’s been away for a bit but gald to be home again :) i’d like to know are there any plans to get around to things that were meant to be finished ages ago, a perfect example is the EA Sports Complex, this was from the start a great idea, but it’s been left unfinished and unloved by it’s creators and a space that should have loads of new minigames and features still says coming soon on most of these and it’s advertising last years bunch of games from EA… can someone at sony look into adding something in the contract with devs that if they publically announce features for a space they have to follow through with these features within a fair timescale to allow devlopment of these features?

Discounts on Home items for Playstation Plus members would be great. One other suggestion I have…any plans for an update of the club houses?

Hi Alex

Will we be getting the Codename stuff in Home

Or is this just a SCEA thing.

Thanks

Alex Weekes 22 July, 2010 @ 10:38
27.1

Codename content will be coming to SCEE as well.

andrew12656 21 July, 2010 @ 20:28

@Vonhammer
Alex had confirmed on the Forums that we will be getting the Codename stuff in the future

@andrew12656

Cheers dude.

Hi alex

I have been trying to buy the final fantasy XIII vilgrium planter set but every time i put it basket then go to checkout it keeps coming up content cannot be selected at this time, why is this? any help would be great.

A Wise Man buys a PS3 not a xBox 360 :D

any chance you can get onto veemee alex and find out if the pool table will be getting fixes at some point as they dont even play properly , you pull que back and it just sticks when you try push forward and also the balls all end up on 1 side of the table after every break so please have a word

Cheers for telling us Sean as it will stop me from buying the pool tables any time soon.:)

green_shorts 22 July, 2010 @ 09:22

oh gawd ppl will pay for any old crap

“There’s a difference in preparation time between all-new content (the female pack previously mentioned) and content brought across from other regions – which only needs SCEE-specific updates. It’s the latter we’re looking at right now.”

Camt u just bring everything over so every region has the same stuff in Home ?

I doubt certain gear would be regionlocked since everything gets paid for anyway. And who doesnt want to make money as a provider of clothes/furniture/whatever

lonewolf1994 22 July, 2010 @ 17:13

Is there any way you can talk to someone to allow Malta to be able to access Home? PLEASE! T_T

This isn’t fair.. All you people get to enjoy home and the psn store while us Maltese are left out in the cold. :(

Nah sorry mate but you wont catch me dead on the forums. Its full of brown nosers and kiss bums, forget that. The forums is long dead.

PantericA09 22 July, 2010 @ 19:17

ive just been too the wiseman he gave me one of his cryptic messages but how do i decipher them. when you get the message and you read it just says press x then it goes of then what do i have too do.help me out

i want some new hairstyles!!

PantericA09 24 July, 2010 @ 00:55

Id like too see on home is world superbike championship stuff maybe some leathers crash helmets gloves boots. Maybe the motorbikes too show off in our personal spaces.

D_1_5-_-5_Y_R 29 July, 2010 @ 14:25

I personly think that alot of users on the plastation home would like to have a space such as a club or room were thier is rock/alternitive music. if anyone agree’s with me please comment on this so that playstaion may take this up… :):):):):):)

PantericA09 30 July, 2010 @ 23:25

Id like that too there’s only the disco stuff or the boombox with only bad 80s hip hop.The chance too rock out in home would be kool.

I dont quite understand the purpose of the wise man We have an old man with a beard who sits in the middle of our park and shouts random things out oh wait he’s the town drunk tramp!

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history