MUBI Is Launching On PS3 This Week

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!

Yes, that’s right… We are launching MUBI on November 3rd and this is our trailer for it. Well, kind of… you think this is funny? I mean, what’s funny about it? Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn. A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Anyway, where were we? Oh, yes… We are launching on November 3rd in UK, Ireland, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, France, Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg. If you’re in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, and Portugal, don’t fret, we’ll be launching in your territories next week. Australia and New Zealand we haven’t forgotten you: we’re announcing your date later this week.

From November 3rd you’ll be able to download the MUBI from PlayStation Store. It’s a free application so you may as well have a look! You’ll find some of the most visionary independent, classic and foreign films to stream directly to your PS3. Quentin Tarantino, Coen Brothers, Lars Von Trier, Gus Vant Sant, Jim Jarmusch, Roman Polanski, Wong Kar-Wai, David Lynch, Ang Lee, Jean-Luc Godard are all in there. Rent them for 7 days for £2.99/€3.59, or you can purchase an all-you-can-eat 30 day subscription for just £9.99/€12.99. Oh, and there will be some films for free too – films we think need to be discovered and that you need to tell your friends about.

Our curators have specially selected all our films because we think they represent the best of independent, classic and world cinema. We want to bring you films that are ripe for your discovery, films that make you think, films that make you cry, films you want to share with your friends and films you want to argue about with your friends! But, Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room…

Right… this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. I do wish we could chat longer, but I’m having an old friend for dinner. Bye.

November 3.

Coming soon to your PS3.

MUBI
Watch. Share. Discover.

136 Comments
9 Author replies

Sounds COOL :) Nice 1

Clare Sandford 01 November, 2010 @ 12:54
1.1

Hi everyone
Just to let youn know that Efe is currently in Australia for a MUBI event! He’ll get onto the Blog asap to answer your questions. In the meantime, I’ll have a go at answering as many as I can ; )

Hell-Raiser-85 01 November, 2010 @ 11:12

Great news. Any plans on 1 year subscriptions?

Super Sweet. Great news. Now to convince my wife that 13 euro a month is a good idea.

Hurrah Great news & lovefilm as well the silence was worth-it this week gonna be great for News.

WELL DONE SCEE ;)

or wait you not from scee lol :D

European_Gamer 01 November, 2010 @ 11:20

Will there be a difference of the films you find in each country?

RadioactiveMouse 01 November, 2010 @ 11:22

Nice one Efe! Been waiting for this for a few weeks :)

Any chance that movies not available in certain regions will be made so if the demand is high enough? Been recommended The Fountain by Darren Aronofsky and I don’t think it’s available to the UK on MUBI yet :( (I’ll be happy to be proved wrong ;) )

Also any chance you can elaborate about the cross platform natures?

Wow……..Netherlands in the first week! I have to put this in de “TELEGRAAF”!!!!

Looking forward to giving this a go.

Maybe I missed it but do we know how many films are available to watch?

Clare Sandford 01 November, 2010 @ 12:55
8.1

Hi SyncroUK
It depends on your country – but on average 300 films for launch. the catalogue will continue to grow as more and more deals are signed in each country

What an incredibly lame attempt at a humorous post, especially on a Monday morning.

Clare Sandford 01 November, 2010 @ 12:57
9.1

ah well – we’re not all comedians ; )

Will this feature ever be launched in Russia? Please. =)

Magnolia reference? I don’t think this is for everyone, but it sure is for me.

Clare Sandford 01 November, 2010 @ 12:58
11.1

Hi ChipPhoenix
Good spot!

Woot! Been looking forward to this for a while now, can’t wait to see what all is on there :)

Will there be more then 26 films for the uk? :)

um, what? Does this mean Australia won’t actually be launching this week?

IF this is true this is NOT NOT cool.

Poland? ;(

£9.99 a month?? LoveFilm will be a better service and thats cheaper.. No tar.

I really hope for next week in italy…

Australia:
Features
$6.25
Shorts
$1.75
Unlimited (I’m guessing this is the one month)
$19.95
…And Some are free

and to think if I lived in the US I could spend less than $10 for Netflix streaming.

you had me at hello. :)

nice do we get to keep the free movies/mubis?

Clare Sandford 01 November, 2010 @ 13:00
20.1

Hi Cocacoladance
No – you don’t get to keep the movies. This is a streaming service so films are available to you for 7 days from the moment you pay for them. If you buy a 30 day subscription, you can watch any film, and as many as you like, as much as you want to in 30 days

Marrsterhausen 01 November, 2010 @ 11:45

At Long last! Been waiting for this for too long…

Free undiscovered films! This is why I was excited for MUBI. Thanks for not disappointing me. :D

Mubi Mubi Mubi MUBI! (Ah aaaah ah aaaaah ah ahhhhhh!)
(sorry)

Great to see it’s finally out. I can see this app taking up any remaining spare time I might have. Not that I’m complaining of course! :)

Will there be an option to link our PSN accounts to existing MUBI accounts, as with Facebook/Twitter?

And when will be in the Czech Republic?

Will there be geo IP address filtering to prevent users with mismatching PSN country & ISP country from accessing the service ? I hope not, since we do pay for the service.

Will MUBI have anything from Studio Ghibli?

well finally some movies here in Ireland, on a side note when we will get playstation video store here?…

no mention of uk???

@16 lovefilm is a bit more than £9.99 a month cheapest i can see is £18.99 for steamin service

Clare Sandford 01 November, 2010 @ 13:02
29.1

Hi dividsmythe
Yes – we’re launching MUBI on 3rd November in UK – read the post again – it definitely says it on there ; )

sorry uk mentioned early in piece

so it looks cool

Does the service have subtitles for the hard of hearing?

That’s a deal breaker for me I’m afraid.

Finally! Awsome news. :D

Thank you for finaly bringing a new service to the Netherlands (and not only the UK and a few other coumtries). Is it the best service, probably not (depending on my prefrences) but I give it a try if it has fast download speed, resonal rices, HD and 5.1 sound (yes I am a movie lover and wouldn´t expext any less).

So how’s the quality of movies, if they arent HD i stick with mediaserver + ps3 combo…

Thank you! I’ve been waiting for the release of MUBI on PlayStation 3 ever since it was first announced. The app has me really excited so I’ll be sure to subscribe as soon as it’s up.

Smoutefretter_BE 01 November, 2010 @ 12:19

Thank You for bringing this service to Belgium at launch!
I’ve been waiting a long time since sony announced back in 1920 the videostore for other countries then the “big 5”, still hasn’t launch BTW in Belgium.

And then when MUBI was announced I feared the same as the vidstore. But now it’s great to see you’re launching on day 1 in many countries! let’s hope everyone in each country can have access to mubi asap!

GREAT :D

So if MUBI is possible in Switzerland, why is Sony not able to provide the Video Store to us??? makes.no.sense

Great news. Thank you!

no thanks ill wait for lovefilm at least i can watch films for my time and not just for the old gamers.

@#34: No, I don’t think there will be many movies in HD. I haven’t found any good info about the quality. Which format and bitrate will the video and audio be streamed in? Efe?

No love for the UAE?

Great new feature :). I love to watch alot of movies.

I`d be interested if I didn`t have download limits on my broadband. With game patches, demos, PSN content and online play I guess I`d go over limit and struggle with snail pace connection if I started renting digital movies regularly. I`ll stick to LoveFilm for now as I can choose games from there too ;)

Any word on whether it’s coming to South Africa?

Cool :) Now hopefully we get Lovefilm soon & more firmware updates with new features we want :)

Good news.

But I’ll wait to see what kind of movies we’ll be able to watch in Switzerland. If it’s the same like on Mubi.com, which would make sense, I’d have to pass.

@xchris2008 If I read correctly, you only watch new movies? You don’t know what you’re missing, so many great films where made in the past century, it’d be a shame to ignore them.

Can we still browse the movielist before subscribing?

Clare Sandford 01 November, 2010 @ 13:05
47.1

Hi imajinetion
Yes you can. You don’t have to commit. You can have a look at the library – read the synopsis and view the trailer and then you can decide to either rent one film at a time or you can buy an unlimited 30 day subscription. You can even watch a few free films without purchasing a subscription.

So, in Spain we get it one week later? I’ve looked in MUBI.com, and less than a half of the movie library is not available in Spain, will it be the same when the service launches?

Nice one, my type of movies. I hope to see some Krzysztof Kieslowski stuff in there.

Now maybe the actual videostore might come to Ireland, ah who am i kidding.

That’s a trailer that breaths love for film. I approve! I’ll check it out wednesday and probally try one of the free ones too see how it al works and in what quality they are deliverred, and then probably get myself a subscription :D

Hi Clare,I’m just wondering will there be an option for SD and HD streaming for the movies.And if so could you give a general’ish/average size of the streams for both.This is for those of us who are still shackled by the constraints of limited broadband usage.Thanx for your time,looking forward to the service.

Clare Sandford 01 November, 2010 @ 13:34
51.1

Hi baz3
For launch, there will be no option for HD streaming. Bit Rate = 600-800 Kb/sec

Hmm, what about the video and Audio quality? Can you choose HD?

This is great. I will test it out a bit, and then probably sign up for a subscription. Thank Heavens that this is also coming to Scandinavia! And among the first batch of territories even!

@Clxmj (Post 16)

I strongly disagree. For £5.99 on LOVEFiLM you only get 2 hours of online viewing. If you want unlimited online viewing you need to pay at least £9.99. Even then, you don’t get access to every film. There are films included with your packages (some good films, a lot of junk) and then there are films which require you to pay per view. I’ve found that most of the good stuff with LOVEFiLM is either pay per view or can only be rented via disc.

You can view LOVEFiLM’s subscription plans here: http://www.lovefilm.com/dvd-rental/

You can view the content included with your LOVEFiLM package here: http://www.lovefilm.com/browse/film/watch-online/subscription/

You can view pay per view LOVEFiLM content here: http://www.lovefilm.com/browse/film/watch-online/pay-per-view/

LittleBigDragonz 01 November, 2010 @ 13:38

Lovefilm = £5.99 per month = HD & SD streaming = 1000’s of films
MUBI = £9.99 per month = SD streaming = 300 films.

Winner Lovefilm In My Opinion.

Finally we can watch movies in the Netherlands. Any news on the official playstation video store?

RADICAL_DUDE_33 01 November, 2010 @ 13:54

Any word for a release in Greece?

Will there be short films like you see on sites such as vimeo, or are they all feature length?

-Monty

Does it actually works for Martinique and Guadeloupe ?

We keep getting screwed over here lately . Despite being A FRENCH TERRITORY , we do not have access to the same content as France .

First Vidzone was working fine , then it doesnt anymore because of restrictions .

We can’t access the european comics , video store , despite being a part of europe and France .

Had we been dropped on the US psn due to geographical proximity , it would have been fine … but instead we are nowhere .

I liked the Dr. Strangelove reference at the end, Brilliant film.

Hi, I would really like to know how this will work in Germany. I hate dubbed films which they all are here. Will you be able to watch the films in the original language ( for example Japanese) and then have subtitles? English is my first language, so would it be possible to watch the film in Germany in the original language with English subtitles? If yes is your answer then I’m sold!!!

No mubi for portugal? :( I don’t know if I hate sony or if I hate being portuguese :(

@playmartelli

As far as I know, this is one of THE strong arguments for Mubi, all movies should be in their original version with “at least” English subtitles or sometimes even German subtitles if you live in Germany etc.

Any information on audio tracks ? Multilingual ? Subtitles ? Will it be possible to have 5.1 sound ?

What about Greece ?
Could you kindly answer…

Nice, looking forward to it.

That not correct £5.99 though it 1 of the price packages. starts at……

-£3.99 limited what you watch & rent.
-£5.99 not so limited what you watch & rent.
-£9.99 & Above: unlimited watch & rent per month.

so it the same price a tenner you get free films on lovefilm as well & yes LF has got 1000‘s movies I Can‘t wait for the new digital cloud base music service.

AAAAAAAhhhhhhh im gonna bust a blood vain.

*GASP* :O

LittleBigDragonz 01 November, 2010 @ 15:04

For PS3 i thought the price of LoveFilm started at £5.99. Not £3.99.?

I am a huge fan of my Internet Service Provider video on demand service. PSN video store can’t get me to pay for a movie (No VO and 2.1 sound only movies, thurr!). Plus the price is quite expensive. I hope Mubi is the right service for me. Can’t wait to check it out.

Can’t wait for Wednesday!

Will this be available in The Netherlands…

Will this be available in The Netherlands…?

@Foxdevilbart
“Anyway, where were we? Oh, yes… We are launching on November 3rd in UK, Ireland, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, France, Belgium, NETHERLANDS and Luxembourg. If you’re in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, and Portugal, don’t fret, we’ll be launching in your territories next week. Australia and New Zealand we haven’t forgotten you: we’re announcing your date later this week.”

Sure, read it thoroughly, Yes it will.

Finally! I been waiting for a service like this like forever :)

How often will you update the catalogue and by how many movies (roughly speaking)?

Definitely sounds interesting.
I’m just wondering, will there be an option to choose the language of the movie? I really like to watch movies in the original language rather than having them translated.

lol everything is launching except GT5

Let me guess ,this wont be coming to Estonia :(
just like all the other good stuff like vidzone ,but we do have psn cards :)

lol i was wondering when GT5 would be mentioned.

Quite interesting though, will have a butchers at Mubi.

@ 73 thank you for being so nice. :)
I’m in kinda bad mood so I didn’t bother to read it carefully.

Now, how about the other videostore? I’m looking very much forward to try out this MUBI thing but many of us in Europe are longing for the big one. Surely, you guys must be able to at least give us some more info on that subject.

I kind of guessed when the theme was being released as part of plus exclusivity for this month :P

w00t!

no hd ? lol you kidding me? everyone have full HD tvs but you release this non hd?

even my digital receiver from my cable company offers HD movies.

1 thing for sure mubi will not enters my ps3

hopefully someday something gets released on ps3, thats really worth the money/time

Very nice move with MUBI. Very good, i’m going to use this regularly. The occasional free movies was the cherry on the cake for me.

I have been waiting for this since they first announced the service!!!

I really hope that they will suit up, and give Denmark the movies we deserve! Meaning ALL MOVIES… and not only a few.. which is the case now! :-(

Blu rays are the best way to watch a movie, so this ain’t for me.

MUBI: Hi Sony, we realise that you have a video download and renting service that could easily accomodate any type of film you could be bothered to put on, however we’d like to give you some money to get our completely unknown company onto your console and into the public conciousness!

Sony: Smashing!

MUBI: Excellent! So basically I thought we could launch a separate interface under the Video section to make things even more confusing, and basically offer arty and foreign films which for some reason you didn’t offer on the Video Store before.

Sony: Amazing! But how will we make it seem different enough to justify not just brining these films out on the Store in the first place?

MUBI: Well, I don’t know, let’s just add some pointless “community” features and a fancy trailer, and the idiot public will be ours.

Sony & MUBI: MMWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Clare Sandford 01 November, 2010 @ 17:36
87.1

Hi Phillip99
If you love film MUBI is a great service – it does offer something a little different so we hope it gives PS3 film fans even more choice.

lol that me me chuckle :D

Edit: oppsie a typo alert i mean to say that made me chuckle :D

Great, cant wait. I would prefer if it had HD. But its a good start.

@62 – Relax, we will have MUBI next week :D
“If you’re in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, and Portugal, don’t fret, we’ll be launching in your territories next week.”

@87 (Phillip99) :You know,not all countrys have the video store.. But every one will get mubi.

OT:Can I sync my mubi account with my PSN acount?

neoxthexone123 01 November, 2010 @ 18:02

Im interested in the Sundance Events stuff and some of the earlier movies that have been made by some great directors.

PhilipTheaker94 01 November, 2010 @ 18:07

You know if their going to have classic films on it, do you think they’ll have blade runner on it because i will buy that film straight away!! :D :D

obiadekanobi1980 01 November, 2010 @ 18:25

and wheres GT5 oops forgot sony dont answer anything that matters to there paying customers with a tidy answer…..looking into me nans crystal ball and even that dosent know….. think ill spend my money for gt5 on something else so theres a ANNOTHER customer who aint gonna pick it up ill buy it when it preowend for £20 when sony dont get any money for it

hey hey

how badly can i abuse the free films ? can i watch all of them over and over repeatedly untill my tellybox explodes or is there a “limit”

the free films . . . anything good ?

will the mubi app be littered with advertising or is it a totally standalone service ?

and welcome to the ps3 o/

Doesn’t the PS3 already have a video store? what’s the point of including another one that appears to be worse and much more limited when it comes to the content?

Really looking forward to this. Hope all goes well with the launch.

PS+ members should get a discount on MUBI.

I’m not a very big movie watcher, if I had to pay like 8 Euro a month as a PS+ user, I would take it.

When POLAND ?????????????

As long as they host martial arts movie, then I would be interested:/
or asian movies.

if not..i’ll forget about this

good stuff any news on love film i currently have a £9.99 sub with them and unlimted stream i have many movies to watch :)

FINALY!

I’m beginning to be very frustrated by the fact that in Europe there are a few small countries who in 2010 do not have a PSN Store access, or any access what so ever to add-on content and services like Mubi or Vidzone … Come on Sony … we are your customers too, invent something. I’m perfectly aware by the fact that this countries aren’t big countries and we are no real economy for you, but for the love of God, give us at least a common store, and common access to Mubi and Vidzone, we could handle that, and it is absolutely find in English, we don’t need localization to our own language …

Wonderful…

Can’t wait to have it.

We will have subtitles in Portuguese, right??

ps3 media server plus: hotfile, netload, rapidshare and megashares FTW!
all you can eat and on demand :)

impressive

i only hope it is possible to watch the films in original language & not synchro…thats one of the many points i don´t use the Sony Video Store

Hi, I’m just wondering why AE is listed in the countries list (AE, AU, GB, IE, NZ) when we won’t be getting this here in United Arab Emirates?

Great news! I can’t wait to try it. Thank you very mu… oh! no, sorry, my mistake. I’m from Poland :(

Yes a service that manages to launch to a larger majority and this on launch day..

So Sony how about the video store following this example!?

Oh my nog HD.. better of keeping my ps3 a gaming console cause i did not buy a full HD sony bravia to use it for non hd movies/gaming.

My cable provider provides TV shows and movies in HD. Why is it so difficult Sony..!?

Get “La cité des enfants perdu” and I’ll be a very happy customer :D

Spicy! I hope the New Zealand date isn’t too far ahead! I love classic films. Make sure to put some film noirs in there. Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon and Double Indemnity are just some of the best films ever made.

Sounds amazing! Still, will I be able to watch content that is in a foreign language or from another countries store?

Am I right in thinking that if we just go to the URL at the end of the above trailer that we can use this right now?! it looks that way on my browser but I am not in front of the PS3 to test it out?! So it’s the same idea as the iPlayer…not complaining or anything, just wondering!

We seem to lack most of the big names in Denmark, even Von Trier which seems a bit inappropriate. But I suppose it’s licensing hell over here. Anyway still lots of great movies, just subscribed :)

Sounds like a nice idea but it’s HD or nothing for me. 1080p please. Microsoft have been streaming 1080p for a long time now and it works great.

@ 55 LittleBigDragonz

LoveFilm does not stream HD. It’s not even SD.

Reality_Deviant 02 November, 2010 @ 13:42

Nice one, SCEE! Ii’ll put my classic movies must-see list a little shorter, eh eh.

in this day in age, streaming online at 600-800kb per second is pretty poor, and sd will be poor quality on any screen size over say, 26 inch tv, a tiny library aswell, and for the price, you cant even keep the movie???? another service that doesnt interest me

i wish sony would stop adding 3rd party apps to the ps3, and concentrate on perfecting the apps that are already there

You forgot Poland!
No seriously, again :( SCEE and SCEP please do your jobs, you tottally blew the fact that your competitors service wasn’t available here before November 2010 :/

No HD streaming is a joke tbh, the competition have been doing it for ages now, Sony in general are seriously lagging behind now in terms of providing content and media at today’s technological standards, a shame really when you think Sony used to the leading company for TV’s, HI-FI, Music etc, yet they don’t seem to be able to combine those services and offer them to consumers very well.

No Turkey !!
Efeee! show some love to your home country man.

finally some movies for ireland :)

will it only be films of sony pictures?

Nice going to download and buy a 1month subscription still we need more movies. The USA MUBI Store has a lot more movies oO

What a great service Sony… and outa the blue to…

These movies are (look) way better than the normal American hyped up, special effect, no story drivel.

Thumbs up from Australia

POLAND please!!!

I’m really looking forward to it! I first was confused with the range of available movies but I get it now! This seems to be a great service and a great idea! I wonder in wich direction the library will go! One thing is for sure, I’ll follow this service with anticipation!

I JUST PAID MY 9.99 SUBSCRIPTION FOR MUBI BUT I CANT WATCH ALL MOVIES ONLY A FEW ARE AVAILABLE ! ANYONE KNOW WHATS UP ? OR IS THIS A RIP OFF ? IN N.IRELAND , U.K

As I’ve commented in the non-official thread on the Mubi-forums:

“I just wasted 12€ on a service that doesn’t even play the movies from my own country.”

As I live in Norway, and I find it really annoying that this country ++ lots more thought that this was their chance on getting some sort of a video store service, (as the USA, UK, Spain, France ++) already have something you guys at Sony call “video store” Forgot about the other countries? We’ll keep telling you about it until you actually do something. We’re once again left outside of the picture, and Sony has screwed us. Mubi was something I looked on and thought (as most of us did) “Finally, we’ll actually get something. A service we can watch our favourite films on.”

I’m so sick and tired of this. Might aswell pack the PS3 down.. Seems like you guys at Sony want us to download illegal.

Yes, there are some “fails” in my grammar. ;)

HaraldHrabovszky 08 November, 2010 @ 02:31

Hi Sony! When will this (and all other) service come in to Hungary?!
(Playstation Store & Home for Hungary! Please!)

HaraldHrabovszky 08 November, 2010 @ 02:37

Ok Sony…., You Got it.., I will make a deal with You, if You make all the services avaible in my country, then I will buy MUBI every month’s :D…. Come on! Do it! It’s a great Offer! :D

I’m scared… I live on the Isle of Man… Not yet available in my country? Will it ever be? Sure, we’re not part of the UK but we are part of Great Britain! Is Mubi planning on taking everybody into consideration or are they going to forget about the under-dogs?
Don’t get me wrong… It’s a great idea if it ever becomes available (not just to download) on the island.

It would be great to have a online movie service that is actually a step forward. I currently use EasyCinema to rent Blu-Rays. For a movie service to make me migrate it would have to be:
a) Cheaper (Rental of BluRay is 2.00GBP delivered through the post)
b) Downloadable (Broadband cannot stream BluRay quality unless you’re one of the few people on high-capacity cable)
c) Longer rental (When watching a series I regularly take longer than a week to see all episodes).

This service is a very poor replacement. Not that any of the others are any better.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history