Next Generation Portable (NGP): All The Early Details

Next Generation Portable (NGP): All The Early Details

Today in Tokyo, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. announced the next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP). NGP will make its debut at the end of the 2011, but here’s everything you need to know right now.

Key NGP features:

• Multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting display (OLED) as the front display
  • Multi-touch pad on the rear of the device
  • Dual analog sticks
  • Two cameras (front and rear)
  • Software titles on small, dedicated flash memory-based cards
  • Three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass
  • Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity
  • PlayStation Network access, including “”LiveArea™”, “Near” and “Activity” log features Trophy Support
  • NGP will be able to play PSP titles, minis, PS one classics and video from the PlayStation Store, as well as all games newly released via PlayStation Suite.

Technical Specs:

CPUARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
GPUSGX543MP4+
External DimensionsApprox. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
Screen
(Touch screen)
5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
Rear touch padMulti touch pad (capacitive type)
CamerasFront camera, Rear camera
SoundBuilt-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone
SensorsSix-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
LocationBuilt-in GPS
Wi-Fi location service support
Keys / SwitchesPS button
Power button
Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
Right stick, Left stick
START button, SELECT button
Volume buttons (+/-)
Wireless communicationsMobile network connectivity (3G)
IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1) (Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

• Hot Shots Golf
  • Reality Fighters
  • Gravity Daze
  • Smart As
  • Broken
  • Hustle Kings

It’s still early going, so we understand that you likely have questions not addressed here. Details such as release date, price, and more will be announced in due course. We’ll keep you updated.

182 Comments
5 Author replies

Sweet i want one now!

James Gallagher 27 January, 2011 @ 11:09
1.1

Adam is currently replying to comments on the last post and I’ll ask him to jump on here too, as he is more of an authority on this than I.

Meh..

Yo, PSN blog, I’m really happy for you. and I’mma let you finish. But what about that update that we didn’t even know about? Why can’t you post stuff that actually matters to me?

James Gallagher 27 January, 2011 @ 10:45
3.1

Sorry I missed that one – setting this up has been kinda’ all-consuming. It’s a minor update that adds a security patch, as you can read on the US PlayStation.Blog: http://bit.ly/huJLtJ

Sweet, pre-order and day 1 purchase

JUST as i was thinking of getting a psp, hahhahaha nice, gives me more time to save up

Looks promising games look amazing but i am afraid the 3DS has the casual market by the balls!

No hdmi/tv out connector ala slim/3000? Price? And dont go stupidly expensive.£199 and it’ll fly, over £250 and you will see poor long term sales.

This looks amazing, and it blows the 3DS out of the water. Who needs headache inducing glasses free 3D when you can have what ammounts to a mini PS3 in your pocket.

Not even vaguely interested in the next digital only handheld device from Sony.

SCEE (or SCE) have shown that digital content support is middling to poor during the PSPGo lifetime.

Until this region can demonstrate swift and encompassing support for digital only devices, I will stay well clear.

Looks nice tho. :p

This is the reason i’m going to E3 :)

FACTS so far:

A non-final hardware design, (every picture [gallery here] says design and specifications subject to change).
Some lovely looking games technology demos from many industry big hitters. What I think will happen is lots of game+ editions (MGS4+, MHP3Turbo, etc) with new content, extra levels and so on.
A code name – NGP will not be the final system name.
Battery life is being quoted at 4-5 hours
Sony will sell the unit at a loss, so price could be lower than expected
Some big names still not on the publishing list

More details http://bit.ly/hXdAUi

Do want.

Can’t wait. I hope you price it reasonably. :-)

almighty-slayer 27 January, 2011 @ 10:43

@Danlisa

It’s not digital only.

Edit – My bad. Software on dedicated flash cards. Now I am interested. ;)

Anyone know how much internal storage it will have?

Can’t wait to see actual games.

So we can guess that E3 will be mostly about NGP this year like the Move last year. Imagine 2 Uncharted games this year.

I am unsure how the spec is measured but how much RAM has this compared to the PSP?

TheHappyTurtle 27 January, 2011 @ 10:56

“Software titles on small, dedicated flash memory-based cards”

Untill the NGP GO! comes out rendering your purchases useless.

no dought this will put a tank of a dent in my memory card and disc space, not to mention the battry power, but I will buy one if it is under £250

This looks amazing…
hopefully it will not be priced to high..

Glad I buy DD rather than UMD’s :)

Looks good. Hope it doesn’t require some kind of contract for the 3G stuff, and hope a smaller form factor comes out soon afterwards!

battery life?

This looks SWEEEEET can’t wait for this just want to know the price either way i’m buying

great news guys EPIC

@22

if roumers are true that this NGP will rival the ps3 graphics, it is important to consider the battery power required to generate it

Highly interested and i’ll probably get one not long after launch given everything unveiled until now makes it beyond anything most could have dreamed of, but as an always connected device it’ll need a decent web browser, at least 6 hours battery life -1/4 of a day- and some sort of skype equivalent.

Carnivius_Prime 27 January, 2011 @ 11:16

I want one. Simple as that. A better PSP (I love my current one and would very much welcome a hell of an upgrade like this) and basically it seems like the PS3 of portable gaming. Definitely what I want. Didn’t even know it had six-axis in it too. Nice.

Will it still support remote play? I use that function a lot especially to access my PS3’s videos from a wi fi point like the library and with 3G I guess that means I could do it anywhere?

Considering how awful the analogue stick of the PSP 2000’s is I really hope there’s been a major change to this one beyond just adding a second [honestly, I hate using the psp’s analogue stick cause it’s so bad.]

Looks great, controls are amazing now both physical and back and front touch. 5″ OLED and high resolution, oh man. Also the processing quadcore CPU/GPU power. I think you CoD, UC, MGS4 others will make a big mark on PSP2. However, I am curious, will it have HDMI output? SD card based flash? How much is ram? What about OS? is it android based? How would you make the price reasonable with such high specs? will you support stereosopic 3D?

James,

We want a real changelog. Not some “its a small security patch”.

Could you please try to find out what we can expect on longer term?

Will we get much more of these “useless” updates and will the dev team only focus on security patches that get hacked within a (few) week(s) and not put any effort in really fixing the PS3 things that need fixing and that the real customers have paid for and want? Like the PS3 webbrowser…

Shou_Kobayashi 27 January, 2011 @ 11:22

Okay,

how will I play my UMD based games I bought for the PSP on the NGP?

A source confirms: Battary life ONLY 4 – 5 hours? WHAT? hope that’s a joke.

Do’h!
forgot to say… THIS LOOKS AWESOME! :D I wonder if it’s worth to buy it now or wait for a slim one^^

i take it ppl now have 2 buy flash sticks instead off the UMD?
and so all ppl who bought |UMD get screwed offer not 2 forget everybody buying digital cause there are hardly any games on psn store

Software titles on small, dedicated flash memory-based cards

I like it. But I still see errors

1: the new psp does Not look that sleek. A device like that just needs to look as good as possible

2: the left analog stick should switch places with the D-pad. Sometimes your thumb hurts when playing long on the current psp. It’s just more comfortable.

Sony, Fix these issues please.

@Jaaay2k

if it’s only 4-5 hours than it’s not really improvement cause it’s a handheld the older psp had a horrible battery life

Is there any new as to whether games will be physicaly available in shops (GAME/Zavvi/HMV/Play.com/Amazon) or is this a download only console?

Are there going to be any policies in place that mean that games that are available physically must be available digitally? That was pretty frustrating for PSP Go users I imagine.

I love the look of the PSP2, but I’m not hyped before I hear the price. I wouldn’t be surprised by “599$!!!”.

“in due course”

As in later today or some date closer to launch?

Adam answer my question without answer my question.

New toy Same crap mutil-region is here to stay gonna be a other Crap year for us SHAFTED EU inferior region & the New toy will be a white elephant like the GO was.

posted to other: “We will announce further detail on the battery life but I can confirm that NGP will be able to play digital versions of PSP titles, minis, PS one classics from the PlayStation Store, as well as all games newly released via PlayStation Suite”

What the point of that as we cant get PS1 classics in the 1st place Sony thinks we so dumb New toy ppl will snap it up even if there will be lack support for it.

i decided i will wait now & i dont think it be in under £250 range. :P

@Skookie30

the way you keep mentioning the white elephant kinda makes it seem there are a lot off them
anyhow price is probably as expensuve as a new ps3 so ya better off buying a ps3 atleast there are games for ps3 nowadays

Is there a video out function? If so, what type of connection?

Thanks in advance. Can’t wait to hear more about this!

Here a idea with the PS-suite as a new store interface as that what it is for mobile devices use that for ALL psn Content we can tranfer on PS3 & back again.

the NGP will be able to link to the ps3 like the other PSP‘s is that right adam. :|

If it has a great lineup on launch and at a reasonable price I will buy it day 1 Sony =)

Back to also ask about video out.

The psp go charger is great as it includes the usb cable and is easy to travel with, the same for the ngp could/would be nice.

johndrinkwater 27 January, 2011 @ 11:52

Hi,
Hoping Andrew reads this, is Sony looking for developers to help work on the software platform (infrastructure/features)? NGP really needs to be day & night above PSP/PS3 behaviour – friends lists should be on the device, not pulled down whenever you log in, etc.
Hire me to point out all the pain points and offer solutions.

I wont be pre-order it when the time comes need more infor first. it was a great start turn out a whimper :)

SO much win here. I heard Kojima rendered a scene from MGS4 on it. Uncharted’s on it at launch?!

But then there’s fail… Android?! PS games GOING to other devices? Why buy the NGP then? Just wait for google to copy the specs and we’ll get the same games.

Also… ANDROID?!??!?! This thing is going to be hacked quicker than the iPad.

no Ninja Gaiden for PsP2? NGP?>:/

I bet some features wont work in Poland.

so what’s the point in having a portable ps3. i alrdy own a standard ps3. morons haven’t mentioned battery life yet so could even be less than 4-5 hours i so hope it fails it probably will japan never liked the pspGo cause off digital format

@Croopnick_PL

all feature’s re U.K only like everything else in SCEE.

Touch-screen AND buttons. I like.

dont give hackers any ideas geohot would LOVE to hacked a NGP the cheeky bastard lol it funny we had update number 3 with no added features we see if this 3.56 stops it i doubt it though we will have a 3.57 a 3.58, 3.59 a added feature 3.60 then continues with minor patch 3.61 upwards. :D

I WANT 1! ! ! :P Hopefully it won’t cost to much :D

@Dgnfly
Yeah..I know.
It’s funny: there is UK, and minor countries that somehow appeared in Europe.

This is a definite day 1 purchase for me, unless they all get sold out before I get to one, that is.

I absolutely love my PSP and, at the risk of sounding like a complete fanboy, Sony has yet to disappoint me with one of their consoles.

I do have to ask however, how exactly will the 3G work, it’s pricing that is?
I imagine it won’t be a free service as that would be ridiculous, so are we going to have to buy a SIM card or make a contract with a mobile distributor or will Sony be somehow providing us with the service via PSN?

This is going to be ludicrously expensive as it is, let alone with all that crap like 3G and cameras, and a compass… Seriously?

Maybe do a base model without all those little unnecessary bits and bobs?

to make sure my comment will not be missed:

I will not buy this.. and rest assured specially not on day 1..

We need other fixes in the SCEE territory first!

Comic Store
Movie Store
Up to date PSP/PSone Library on PSN
More Service Add-ons on PSN/PS+
Services (catch up channels/radio stations) etc. In other regions then just the UK!

The Pricing is off on almost everything unless it goes on Sale!

A lot might be happy with this but until a lot of problems are resolved I will not even consider buying a NGP.

will this new menu system we see on screen b comming to ps3 aswell?

and I think i’ve guessed what’s happened to that Resident Evil that was coming for the original PSP! ;)

can you make phone calls with it ?

@Croopnick_PL et. al.

Do you really think Sony purposely decide NOT to release content third-party content in other countries?

Stop being so bitter people.

@gheywood

Easy for you to say when your able to enjoy a lot of first and third party support.. @ lot more support then we all combined have ever had.

So don’t tell us not to be bitter let us complain so something might be done about it.

great

Will we be able to download from the store from the USB cable? I don’t have wi-fi or 3G and I don’t plan on getting them either.

What about UMD games? I want to play them on the NGP and the only reason I didn’t buy the PSP GO. I don’t care if it is a messy process I just want the option to transfer my physical copy to digital.

No we want a open up the stores to us we can make other accounts but why should we, not every 1 can get hold of debit cards etc to buy a USA psn card.

you gonna pay for a dear New toy with inferior service :|

sounds nice 4 cores and lots of other stuff but hows battery life?

i bet this handheld will be nerfed alot to make sure you can play longer then 1 hour

this handheld will never use all gpu power cpu power otherwise the battery is empty in hour.

so instead of telling what it have tell us what we really can expect.

battery wise

Really might finally buy a psp now these sound and look so cool

oww yeah before i forget how will the protection be? can we paying customers expect this to be hacked also. our does sony really think they have found something to stop it.

everything that has been made can be broken.

i want details before i even think about buying this.

i do have 2 say the psp getting hacked was the best thing ever cause it was a lot cheaper than buying the same games twice first UMD then DIGITAL

Can’t wait.

I’m looking forward to seeing the new OS.

I really like the XMB, so I really hope it’s not too much of a change.

Can you please change the home menu, it’s just no PlayStation like. Or change it to the XMB. I love the XMB.

I might get one in the New Year.

But my question is, will there be a tool to import the licenses from your PSP to the “NGP” (we like to refer to it as the PSP2)?

Ok done more reading and I WANT ONE.

James/other SCEE guys? Do you know when the next information is? Wait for E3 or GDC? Or maybe a bit sooner?

???

***

Attention1!!

Lol.

I took a opportunity to ask the president a question but got no answer as i expected i understand he be winging his way home later.

let see SCEA got more PS1 classics a Jap imports.

SCEJ got even more Ps1 classics then SCEA a western imports.

& Now to us SCEE got less PS1 classics, content disappearing, No Jap imports.

I hate M$ but they treat they consumers well a store update more the once not fixed day in a week a universal store, lots of full game on demand. :|

So if I’d want to play the PSP games I have on UMD (personal preference over download), I’d have to buy them again…

damn sony we need better firmware updates that ***** been hacked already, c’mon we want and need the hackers out, you need to try harder, start blocking/bricking consoles, we need a solution, Jp.

I do worry about dev costs with this thing.And if it is as high as PS3 when creating a new IP,I’m worried it will be to expensive for anything and we’ll just get straight ports.

The smaller games look cool,but wont be buying one for that rolling ball game and reality fighter.I f I could I transfer all my PS3 store content over at no cost,it’d be ok.
But saying that,I couldn’t justify the thing to play Joe danger on a bus.

@78 Might be illegal to do that but I’d love it if they bricked their consoles. Then log their IP and brick their next ones. XD

@mrlopes

Yes but why are you blaming Sony if third parties don’t want to release their content in your country? Do you expect Sony to just say “oh well” and release it anyway?

@dfly – grow up.

@gheywood

why should i? your moaning about us moaning so!!

Nope bad idea worse case they bricked wrong consoles they got a kill switch that been reported so it must be true geoho custom 3.55 is useless that why we getting alot of updates.

they need to hacked 3.56 to match it so custom 3.55 wont work on a 3.56. so if they hack again 3.57 need to match a C-3.57.

funny thing about the ps3 hack is. it appears you can actually hack somebody personal files creditcards everything and sony hasen’t mentioned that yet.

IF the price is right this will be a HUGE success!!

I don’t use my PSP much, but might still get this.

Well done Sony for some innovation on the rear touch pad thing, hope it’s comfortable to use over long periods of time.

Sniper_at_w0rk 27 January, 2011 @ 13:37

What about the built in memory?

@ gheywood

I am not blaming anybody I am just asking for solutions. And scrap the 3rd party support if you like then We are still missing.

A lot of first party Support..

Movie Store
Comic Store
Services for psn/ps+
Pricing

Do I need to go on even without third party support there is so much to improve outside of the UK border. So please let me try to get my message through.

I even once posted here a third party in the Netherlands something just like lovefilm.. it is called Veamer but do you think anybody is following up on that no why would they.. It is like the cops in the states oh that is the UK border here my jurisdiction stops. Way to go if you want to be the best internationally speaking!

What I want to see is a homebrew store. People submit their homebrew, and they set a price for it (even if they want it free, they should be allowed to). I would also like them to have the ability to allow games to have addons made by fans where the tools to do so have been released by the developers. I’ll elaborate further – for instance, say LucasArts announced Star Wars Battlefront III today for a Christmas 2011 release on the PC, Xbox360, PS3, and NGP, and then they release mod tools that work on all four versions, but wait, we can’t use them on the NGP version without a custom firmware/ISO hack.

I’d also want a PlayStation2 Classics store for this thing.

We know it will be 1:23 Hours or more battery life anyways, from the picture :P

awful name. wouldn’t mind picking one up but i fear this is going to be way too rich for my veins

This looks like a cyber punk version of the neo-geo, and that makes me very happy. I know I shouldn’t buy the first intigration of PSP2, since there will no doubt be PSP2+, Then ++, Then +++, Then Go Pluserer. It is hard to see however how they could make this portable device any cooler looking.

With all that said, I think I will wait a few years to buy into this, hardware sale trends have just devistated me in the past. For example my launch PS3 struggles to play certain games and it’s loud. I think that was the hardware straw that broke the cyber punk horses back….

Good luck with your launch however Sony, I’m sure you’ll still sell millions of all the variations of PSP. Hope the graphics can rival the PS3 like rumours mention.

Oh and PsMove is lame ^^”

Will it have HDMI-out for my Telly?
And what about e-sata so I can plug in my BluRay player to play the PS3 games on it? :-P

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! I gotta buy day one.

Looks a little odd, I can see Sony making a slimmer version.

Well everyone don’t be surprised if no questions will be answered..

James Gallagher 27 January, 2011 @ 14:50
94.1

We answer a lot of questions, all the time. There comes a point when we have simply given out all of the information that we have.

Please sir can I have more ;) I need one.

I was under the impression there would be more as you stated on the first page James that is all. I know a lot does get answered and that you guys are not all knowing and it is on need to know basis.

I hope you can see it out of my point of view as well concerning the topics I keep bringing up.

Loving that people are saying NGP = Nintendo Got Pwned. XD

VictorAnalogy 27 January, 2011 @ 15:01

All I need to know is:

1. Release date.

2. Price.

I’ll take a release date for the announcement of a release date and a price. :D

Oh another question :

Is PSP1 dead by the end of 2011? No more “real” games for it?

Hey James!

As an avid fan of the PlayStation-brand, I have to ask this. As I chose not to buy a PSPGo because of the simple fact that I prefer a physical game, I was shocked to learn that the new NGP™ does not feauture a UMD-slot for PSP™-games. Therefore, I have to ask:

– Will there be any possibily for me to transfer my UMD-games onto a Memory Stick in order to keep playing them on the NGP™? Or will I simply have to: a) keep my PSP™ to play the games, or b) buy the again in downloadable form?

Hopefully, you will be able (and willing) to answer my question. Thanks in advance!

How many megapixels do the cameras have?

If Sony has proven anything with PSP-GO it is that they are terrible at delivering games to the system and that they price games like a mental patient.

And no 3D in 2011 is a disaster, I recon PSP2 is here to stay for some years and allready the first year its “outdated” by Nintendo.

Im sorry Sony but you have failed this time also…PSP-Go is fresh in the memmory.

Cocacoladance 27 January, 2011 @ 15:45

i think i just reached orgasm

Shou_Kobayashi 27 January, 2011 @ 15:52

Why don’t prepare more answers to questions, for example giving the UMD crowd the finger?

will this play downloaded psp and ps1 games?

anyway, looks like a great little machine, but ultimately whether or not i buy one will be determined by the price, and i don’t suppose you could tell us that even if you did know. :)

do you know? o_O

James Gallagher 28 January, 2011 @ 10:32
106.1

I honestly have no idea. I didn’t even see an image of NGP until about three minutes before the embargo lifted and these posts could go live! I generally find out about stuff a few minutes before you do…

if you did know the price, you could tell me, i wouldn’t tell anyone else, honest. >_>

Pure_Mind_Games 27 January, 2011 @ 16:18

that’s the sexiest thing I’ve seen, I must have it.

Can I be the first to congratulate Sony for not shoe horning 3D in to a 5 inch screen. 3D looks better on a bigger screen.

Shou_Kobayashi 27 January, 2011 @ 16:31

SORRY FOR WRONG CATEGORY, I hope it get’s answered…

Sorry for the wrong section, but I just heard the rumor that there is Dead Nation on the German store; however there is no saying on the Blog … so is this rumor true

Most important part for me has been covered It can play my old PSP content Mini’s PS1 PSP titles Thanks alot Sony , Now all i need is a decent Price and I will get one.

Wow, people complaining it doesn’t do UMD? Your PSP does UMD, so keep that to play UMDs, it’s that simple. It’s the other way round, you should be glad you can still play your downloaded games.

It’s kind of like this:

OMG the Gamecube doesn’t play my N64 cartridges, what’s up with that?!

TehPhilosopher 27 January, 2011 @ 16:41

Will my tens of games that I bought for PSPGo be playable with this?

Shou_Kobayashi 27 January, 2011 @ 16:45

@112: Yes Carrying around 42342342235325345zillions or portable devices is the real way. Also I am complaining because people who bought the games over the internet get to play them, peoples who didn’t get a nice F Bomb!

Shou_Kobayashi 27 January, 2011 @ 16:47

@112: In addition, well the GameCube hadn’t any backwards compability at all, but this is an a job half done here. As said above some ppl get rewarded, while the ppl who bought UMDs … well I wrote about it earlier.

I like, I really do, but until I see some titles I’m interested in its not on my must buy list.

And there come´s another product and service although current services and products need more attention than they get now.
I won´t buy this PSP-GO like product. It´s an expansive failer!

@114 – Shou_Kobayashi,

So carrying two portable devices is a hassle, but carrying all your UMDs with you is not?

You can’t expect Sony to support every kind of backwards compatibility until eternity. It’ll just make the device bigger, more expensive, more noisy and it’ll probably be a bigger burden on your battery. The fact that downloadable games are compatible I would rather call a convenience for anyone who bought a game digitally.

For the record; I too own a bunch of UMDs that I won’t be able to use on the “NGP”. But I think you should compare it too other legacy formats (because that’s what UMD will be): If you want to listen to an LP you get your LP player, if you want to play a SNES game you get your SNES and if you want to play your UMD game you take out your PSP.

Wait, that Uncharted title mentioned, would that be a new game or Drakes Fortune / Among Theives smudged down a few sizes?
I will likely get this if an Uncharted Game is involved.

I must be the only person in the entire world who likes that bubble menu thing. The XMB was good, but ya gotta move on! :P

Firmware 3.56 hacked, New keys available

well seems sony really has great security

Just over an hour ago, Sony released a new firmware update for the PS3 that only served one function: security. With all the recent hacking incidents of the PS3, it was expected to see a counter by Sony at some point in time and tonight was it. As Sony performed this counter, hackers found a weakness in Sony’s defense and have hacked the latest firmware.

It’s being reported that hackers have released new keys to workaround the latest firmware update and allow for homebrew to run without any issues. With this being the case, it’s only a matter of time before Sony releases another firmware update to counter further hacks. Since it’s related to hacking, links to gain the information needed will not be provided here, but if you have hacked your PS3 before, you likely know where you can get the keys.

well ps3 is dead like whale in the water if their firmware was cracked in a hour

I was following the live blog on andriasang regarding the meeting, absolutely stoked to see some of the design decisions such as the new non-UMD media format and DUAL ANALOGS! Fantastic, really can’t wait to throw my money at it, looing at all the third-party developers both Japanese and Western that are already behind the system it’s looking to be an incredible line-up.

Still plenty of life left in the current PSP though with big games like Final Fantasy Type-0, Dissidia Duodecim and God Eater Burst out this year.

All I want is an App where I can order a take-away.
Just click on my Pizza Hut app, my credit card details are linked to my PSN ID, boom, and then the obligatory installing/loading screen, only this time – “Your delivery will be with you in…”

Something to think about…..

Also why does everyone wear hats indoors, it’s so inconsiderate!

Sssshhhhhhhh!!!!

Do you guys hear that?

If you listen carefully enough, you can hear Nintendo dying of laughter, seeing Sony have become so deluded they think they’ll break open the handheld market with this thing.

Sony..just learn from PSPGo and stop embarrassing yourselves when Nintendo are the kings of handheld gaming..

Now please, enough with this foul talk, it is very un British of you….

Shou_Kobayashi 27 January, 2011 @ 18:40

@FnID

Well I own also other Handhelds from other companies ;) So it would be more then two – eh :) Also for the UMD, how I store them, they don’t take away much space.

Also I’m more upset about this half / half thing. I completely understand that a GameCube won’t run my SNES games, but saying YES to the digital crowd and NO to the physical crowd is a move I don’t understand.

I’m interested in it.
I wonder if the games claimed from the PSPGo promotion will work on the NGP though? I know they don’t work on non-PSPGos at the moment.

Where’s the XMB not sure i like the new UI.
Hope we get some information on price soon but I guess we will have to wait till E3..

Hey stiff upper lips lads if COD is like all the others hackable what chances are there with COD on NGP.

@dgnfly the 3.56 was updated more then just a hour i updated mine 9am GMT 10am CET took em a day then i read on EG it not hack yet. :)

@Shou_Kobayashi,

Fair enough. By the time you get your NGP you’ll forget all about your PSP anyway ;)

BTW i just tried the demo of catherine i think it will sell well ;)

Shou_Kobayashi 27 January, 2011 @ 19:26

@ FnlD:

This might happen, so please let me ramble and nerdrage a bit to get some steam off… eventually it might clean the sky :). thank you for acknowledging my point. however I understand also all the people who tell me “stop the fuss, it’s an added feature.” … it’s just the crowd-dividing that I’m not comfortable with.

love the design compered to the old 1, even though it is not a big difference but the design looks more polished

Sony, if I may make a suggestion…

While I do not own a PSP myself, I think many UMD-users would be very appreciative if you guys created a UMD-exhange program. In this program, you mail all your UMD’s back for a small fee in exchange for digital downloads of the games on the new NGP.

Good luck, Sony. I’m planning on helping out with a purchase of this awesome device. :)

@Skookie30

the post was american time considering this blog never informs us off any firmware update’s

@Skookie30

i just hope the full retail version off catherine get’s jap dubs but i doubt it i hope so cause english dubs suck and iwas planning on buying that game

Project2insanity 27 January, 2011 @ 20:16

There’s no need to carry UMD further. As pointed out in certain comments, it would simply weigh down the device and bump up the price; it’s a privilege to have any form of backwards compatibility at all. In a small way, doesn’t this make Go owners a little more at ease with being charged higher amounts than us using UMD…?

I’m excited. Now also announce PSP game support for the PS3 and you’ll have a lot more digital PSP purchases.

’cause there’s many PSP games I’d like to play, but I really don’t usually carry my PSP with me, just to holiday trips.

WOOOW DEFO A BUY. AND I WAS ABOUT TO PRE-ORDER THE 3DS :S

funnydude6556 27 January, 2011 @ 21:36

4-5 hours? Come on Sony I have a gameboy that lasts longer then that!

What a beautiful machine…All my worries about the design for nothing :p The design looks both beautiful and practical, much like the first psp, but finally with 2 joysticks and a whole bunch of other cool stuff.. Too bad there’s only 2 shoulder buttons though, but 4 is not really necessary for a portable..

Anyway, Sony outdid itself again with this, can’t wait for this piece of art

i have to have it =)

ok i read posts about people using Primaire DNS : 67.202.81.137
and Secundaire DNS 67.202.81.137 to allow to use psn, and updating games with jailbreak ps3, so sony how about fixing that first.

second about that ngp it sounds all nice and i bet 80% of the younger people here are pieing there pants becuase they read the great hardware that this handheld have

the older people here, know that lots of cpu power, and lots of gpu power, uses alot of battery power.

so what gonna sony do like the did with the original psp? they gonna decrease the cpu power and/our gpu power, to make sure when you start up your ngp the battery will hold out longer then 30 min.

i dont even understand why they made this ngp, psp didnt sold like they wish it would sell, better use the money for a ps4, with good protection about hacking and some decent games that support 1080p 80% have a full hd tv but the games are almost always 720P oww joy!.

for the people who wait for this (piece of art) you will never see...

Show full comment

ok i read posts about people using Primaire DNS : 67.202.81.137

for the people who wait for this (piece of art) you will never see the art, becuase it will be nerfed to dead, to make sure the battery wont die in a hour!

Sony the main company behind 3D says “3D not right for portable devices”.

Sorry..but Nintendo called. They left a message saying: Haha, we beat you again! Cya in March!

So a tv where everyone in the room needs 3D glasses to watch is “right”?

Having a portable device close up to your face where you alone play is not right?

Sony…oh dear Sony….have you lost your marbles?

Dual sticks and those amazing gameplay videos have certainly grabbed my attention. Now it’s down to price and battery life and hopefully the camera(s) will be high-res.

looks pretty sweet, it’ll be inbteresting to see how they utilise the rear touch pad for games etc

*interesting

“The batteries of Sony’s newly announced “NGP” cannot be changed, purportedly in an effort to stymy pirates who previously used the battery to hack the original PSP models.”

Quoted from Sankaku Complex. If this is true, does that mean we’ll have to send the thing into sony to get a total replacement?! If so, how long could we expect such a thing to take? Two weeks? Three?

I am in awe..I was worried about the design but they nailed it, it looks absolutely perfect..2 analog joysticks which seem much more practical than the flat one from the first psp.. Having 2 joysticks also makes the game experience look much more modern, dynamic and up to date.. And then there’s all the extra stuff like touchscreen, touchpad, camera’s and sixaxis..oh and trophy support (l)

Not to mention the actual games, Uncharted looks phenomenal, I’m amazed by the beautiful colors and the field of depth..

Some people complain about how long the battery will last, but that’s not really an issue imo, you can always get a backup if really necessary..Same goes for the backwards compatibility, it’s a nice option but not necessary since we got a regular psp to play umd’s anyway..
Personally I was thinking 4 shoulder buttons would be nice, but that would probably make the NGP hard to hold and play, or it would have to be thicker for them all to fit on..

So in the end it looks just perfe...

Show full comment

So in the end it looks just perfect to me, design is beautifully slick and practical and I’m sure you guys got some great games in store for us too..

I read a lot of negative comments.. Unbelievable.. How is it these guys are even on psn.. Oh well, haters are gonna hate, their loss..

This is gonna be the next revolution in portable gaming..

@ Stonesthrow we are no haters i always supported sony in everything.

you say next revolution? nope 3ds already done that, this is nothing special.

the only thing i dont like is, that we all know we would never see the power of the ngp, becuase then the battery would die to fast.

you pay a full prizes for mabey 50% of the power the ngp will run on.

i dont care if they tell you its faster as a ps3, thats why the ps3 runs on 220v, and not on 12v our how much that battery will get.

all those specifications are marketing to let you think its a monster machine, but you will never see the monster inside.

second of that games are 75% of succes, and if i look at how sony does on ps3, then i think ngp wont do any better, and then i think nintendo 3ds will win again.

if sony starts paying for exclusive games, content and start support ps3 more then mabey i give ngp a chance.

Show full comment

@ Stonesthrow we are no haters i always supported sony in everything.

you say next revolution? nope 3ds already done that, this is nothing special.

you pay a full prizes for mabey 50% of the power the ngp will run on.

people dont think if they have 4 core our 10 cores that it will be runniing faster then your home pc ps3 our whatever it cant due to battery life dont fall into this marketing thing

Here here i to not a hater i grow up with sony 1st with ninty with NES SNES then Mega-drive Mega-CD before the big boys on the block enter the video-games market.

I love dear Sony but i loath the muti region system how hard to set up a All psn games for all loyal consumers i also said i need more infor.

Now @james.G will we get a blog post of the 3.56 update to discuss it because i been reading reports the 3.56 added something & Now dishing out Mass Ban-hammers to hackers with they Hack-mod custom consoles on COD-BO ppl saying the same things. :|

or is it just 1 other silly rumour again.

James Gallagher 28 January, 2011 @ 10:39
153.1

It’s just a minor firmware update that installs a security patch. Not much to discuss. ‘Reports’ usually means the same thing as rumours.

I don’t hate sony and I never will.. I just think some things could be done different that is all. We are allowed to openly discuss it here if you don’t like it just stop reading the comment you don’t like simple as that.

@Skookie30

We will probably don’t get a reply but I am with you on this one. If Hackers managed to hack this within the Hour or so.. What does the future hold for us. Are they really banning users without a announcement? Wow well if that is the way to go to keep PSN honest and safe so be it!!!

@Skookie30

It seems to be aimed @ COD BO players that have a hacked save file..
Gonna see what else I can spot.. :D

@mrlopes but it‘s illegal in UK-law you buy a 300 quid console and doesn’t do what it suppose to do that is theft.

if the reports are true they not banning PSN-IDS they banning consoles the guy on BO forums said his console is banned meaning his bricked ps3 is useless a dear paperweight.

you can have all the T&C‘s it doesn’t make it right & ppl that dont hacked will be in the cross fire as well i dont belive in homebrew, homebrew to me is you get free snes ps1 games etc on the fly. :|

thanks james so it‘s just a rumour though sony didn’t admit it or deny it not the normal “We don‘t commet on rumours & speculation”

so this rumour will go on & on & on Zzzzzzzzzzzzz………. :D

Sure it is illegal and I don’t agree with all CFW out there.. even in home brew I do not believe it is just an excuse for the hackers out there to squeeze the life out of our precious console!!

I hope Sony will be successful in stopping them.. :)

Just want to point out to those saying its a digial-only device (like the PSPgo)… Its not! It uses a new game medium. Yes games can be bought from the PlayStation Store on the NGP but you can still pop into your local retailer and buy a game from the shelf. Inside the game case will be a flash memory card instead of a UMD. You then simply insert the flash memory card into the NGP and play. The great news about this is game save data and DLC can be stored on the actual games memory card rather than the system memory. So, for example, you get Uncharted for the NGP, you play some of the game and buy some DLC. All of this gets stored on the new flash memory card so you could insert it to another NGP and still have your game, save data and DLC.

Show full comment

wouldent this mean that our previous psn games were useless?!

i can’t wait for this, ill start saivng only when i know that my tens of game I got from the store will still work

@cakeforme288 Well it wont be able to play your UMD games but if you have bought any PSP games from the PlayStation Store as a digital download, or Minis and PS1 Classics, then it will be able to play them. This is great news for us PSPgo owners as we can simple redownload our PSPgo collection onto the NGP.

I hope that they will also fix the major cons of the current psp, which are :
-a brightness not high enough for the screen to be watched in direct sunlight unlike the screens of cellphones,
-lack of divx support since umd movies are dead,
-a music player so basic that it can’t create a playlist from the psp

“The other great news about this new game medium is that loading times will be a lot faster as with flash memory cards the data is stored on chips and fetched electronically rather than with a disc that has to spin around to load the next file and be read by a laser. That is why we are gradually replacing the ‘common’ hard drives with SSD’s (Solid State Drives) because they do not have a disc, thus are a lot faster.”

In other words a cartridge :)

I hope sony don’t hide it behind that “new game medium” cack,If it looks like a cart,works like a cart,then call it it a cart.

I don’t have a PSP GO, but I still bought most of the games for the PSP through the PSN, mainly cause the PSP makes too much noise when reading from the stupid UMD’s. (I donno why no one else did that also… sure it might be a bit more expensive, but it’s much better and easier to keep them digitally) I’m happy that they’re taking that away. Only thing that bothered me with the PSN VS UMD, was those games by for example Square Enix that didn’t get a digital release… If they release Crisis Core, KH:BBS and Star Ocean games on the PSN I’d buy them there and get rid of the UMD’s without a doubt.

However, I think this will be bought asap. It looks pretty nice.

Are the games just DLC games like the PSPgo? Or do we get to actually buy them from shops? I don’t like DLCs because you cannot return them if you don’t like them.. or you can’t sell them when you’ve had enough of them.

I doubt anyone buys new copies these days either, they all buy second hand. So if you can’t buy second hand “NGP” games it’ll probably not sell :P I’d buy it but it’ll be about £400 and break often like the PS3.

“Are the games just DLC games like the PSPgo? Or do we get to actually buy them from shops?”

Thanks vonhammer <3 I could've probably searched for it myself if I wasnt lazy :) So cartridges are back? sweet. Okay so how about reverse remote play with the PS3? Like the other way around so you could play the PSP on the PS3? :P

Hey everyone, just read a quote that said this will be “affordable”, don’t sweat it

@cakeforme288: So thats about £300 right? Sony usually says thats an affordable price :P

“SmoggyPhil, I am more excited about this than I am the gimmicky 3DS. If they get the price right (ie, cheaper then the 3DS) then they’ve got a winner. C’Mon, it’s got – Uncharted, Resistance and the 300 pound gorilla, Call of Duty with PS3 graphics on a handheld.
Now please, enough with this foul talk, it is very un British of you…”

Yeah, the 3DS is gimmicky as hell considering its one gimmick feature which is 3D. The NGP doesn’t have any gimmicky additions with its rear-touch screen, in-built 3G, multi-touch pad, built-in GPS and motion sensors. No, those aren’t gimmicky whatsoever, are they? No, no they’re not. Not at all. Not gimmicky whatsoever. Not 3G like every single other phone/smartphone/tablet is including. No. Not gimmicky. Not. at. all.

Also, more ports. Yay. I didn’t want revolutionary, unique games. I wanted more ports, including that overdone CoD series. Yeah, just I wanted. Yeah. Yeah.

Show full comment

Now please, enough with this foul talk, it is very un British of you…”

(Has anyone actually noticed the motion sensors being involved? Now, this is on a handheld console, designed for playability on the move, on a bus or train which we all know jerk and jolt occasionally…Motion sensors. Handheld console.

Sony. What. The. Hell?)

Please tell us more specifications: battery life, acessories? And good luck with security software! I don’t want to use NGP in future and know that others can cheat. ^)

@161

thanks for the intel, im saving from…….now

@169

well, they are doing 2 models, 1 with a 3g connection and one without, so that means we could be looking at a 20-50 quid difference here, not to mention the fee for the 3g service. The built in gps will be cool too

@cakeforme288:

I doubt I’d pay for the 3g thing though. If they’re keeping the wi-fi hotspot deal thing then theres no real need for me to pay extra. It’s not like I’m going to go down town just to play on the PSP. GPS would be fun though. I wonder if you can see your PSN friends on it and where they are :P

I guess it just depends what the price difference is, and what the fee is.

test

Good!

interes

intrere

Go NGP

Bring it on!

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history