Posted

PlayStation Official Magazine UK Issue 56

Hello all,

You’ll notice a theme this month. For all the big stuff in this issue we’ve been to the studio to see the games in action and interview the developers personally. LA Noire, Dead Island, Battlefield 3 and The Last Guardian – all up close and personal with info direct from the horse’s mouth. So, let’s see what you’re going to get…

cover

This month we played an exclusive level from LA Noire from start to finish. No spoilers but it involved drugs, death and popcorn. The good news is that it’s looking every bit as amazing in the flesh as it does in the trailers. You might be wondering why the cover’s been blanked out a bit? It’s because Detective Phelps has found something a bit nasty…

Dead Island

You probably heard of Dead Island after the shock trailer trended on Twitter. So you’ll definitely want to read our lead news story, as we’ve been out to see it in all its flesh chewing action. Find out what the game looks like in action and what the developer has to say about its zombie in paradise open word FPS.

Battlefield

We also have more new info from Battlefield 3. Once again we’ve been out to see the game in action and interview the devs. The game looks astonishing thanks to a new engine called Frostbite 2 – incredible destruction and a surprising input from EA’s FIFA 11. Yes, really.

Last Guardian

Probably one of the most exciting things for me this month is that we had a man out in Japan, visiting Team Ico to talk about its next game. You know, the one with the catbird thing. We saw new gameplay that helps explain just how the whole ‘one boy and his monster’ thing will play out. We also talked to director Fumito Ueda about this and his previous creations, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

ten

And, finally, because I like you, here’s a freebie from the previous issue. It’s ten questions with Herman Hulst, managing director of Killzone 3 developer Guerrilla Games. Want to find out what his advice is for breaking into the games industry? Or what he thinks the next big gaming innovation will be? Then read on.

Don’t forget, you can talk to the team directly through our Facebook page. where we’ll feed you all the latest info, pics and videos as we get them. Plus we’ll answer questions and generally hang out on Twitter, too, at Twitter.com/OPM_UK. You can also email us directly at OPM@Futurenet.com.

The issue’s on sale now for £5.99 with a playable demo disk. Or you can save up 35% if you subscribe.

20 Comments
0 Author replies

Team ICO – GOD-LIKE

obiadekanobi1980 15 March, 2011 @ 10:36

hi guys love the mag though its a bit one sided when it comes to anything sony but thats to be expected as sony ROCKS!!!

anyway how bout a digital version for or beloved ps3 firstplay is awsome but its a bit short and tv these days is utter crap when it comes to gaming channels theres a grand total of…0 silyy when u think bout it when theres over 1000 channels and not 1 for us gamers

the digital version could be 1nce a month, cost about 2.99 and could be like firstplay where u have to download it and start it like a game
that way u won’t get over the sholder readers getting it for sweet FA

this would release on the store update day for that month and i would buy it no probs think bout it guys please it would be awsome to have the best ps3 mag on the hdd plus we could get eitheralink to that months demos or a redeem code that allows us acess to the demo.

just a thought keep up the awsome work on the mag guys digital is the new frontier

obiadekanobi1980 15 March, 2011 @ 10:40

also drop the disk as it makes the mag a stupid price just give a redeem code with the magazine that way the cost is kept down and u can save those lovely blu-ray blanks for printing those important games like infamous2, or The Last Guardian

Team Ico made one of my favourite games looking forward to see how this master piece turns out.

You should replace the BD demo disk, it’s the digital age and we download demos from the store. Maybe free gifts keyrings, posters DLC, is the way forward?

LA Noire article sounds interesting – I still don’t fully understand how the game will play, so hopefully this will help. Will pick this up on the way home tonight.

Love the mag btw

SpiderMike_X 15 March, 2011 @ 11:29

“it’s the digital age…..Maybe free gifts keyrings, posters”

Yeah man, what is this? 1990?! Give us high tech stuff like Keyrings, posters, lollypops and stickers!!!!!

*Facepalm*

I will be getting my copy + MotorStorm 3[hopefully]at the end of the week;)

Stopped buying the mag a long time ago, like someone mentioned above (a demo disc is pointless now, with all those demos already either been played or downloaded months ago!) why bother? Should be exclusive things, DLC packages etc. Oh well maybe one day something fresh and new will be introduced to make me want to spend £6 on a mag. Good luck guys!

6# The game is delayed

Coody-Baroody 15 March, 2011 @ 12:50

i think they have the demos on the disk for either people who are not on the internet or who might have a download cap. i know the number of these people nowadays is getting smaller and smaller but thats the only reason i can think of. other than that, the OPM is the best, most well written ps3 mag on sale. i collect all 4 scrictly UK PS3 mags, this, PLAY mag, PSM3 and PLAYGAMER and OPM is by far the best one.

Who would honestly pay £6 for a magazine? It’s a shame large corporations exploit young children with disposable income. We’re in a recession by the way.

Can you guys please tell me if the shoot button is R1 because Red Dead it was R2 which just felt wrong imo and spoit some of the experience for me.

@11 T-Jani

There was a patch for Red Dead that let you switch L1 with L2 and R1 with R2, which is a MUCH better setup if you ask me! Totally agree with you though, “fire” should never be on R2, it’s R1 all the way for me as that is what I consider to be my “trigger finger”. Bioshock did the “R2 to fire” thing and it ruined the game for me, every time I got jumped I’d hit R1 and the game would stop, bring up the icon wheel and send my brain into a panic. Hated it for that, never got anywhere near completing it as it ruined the fun.

Got to agree with people about the OPSM demo discs… I always buy the mag, but the disc doesn’t even get touched as I’ve already played all the demos. I’m a subscriber but I’d not pay £6 in a shop for it. The discs have GOT to go, or at least, give us exclusive content please!

Cyberendpunk 15 March, 2011 @ 15:55

On sale now ? Sweet and this looks like a good issue. *runs outside*

Battery-Acid- 15 March, 2011 @ 17:20

kivi95, can you back up that statement with a credible source?

Can someone please post what’s on the disc with the mag. Thanks.

Cyberendpunk 15 March, 2011 @ 18:08

Went in store, didn’t see it. Bought Edge mag instead. No PS mag this month now, lol.

Carnivius_Prime 15 March, 2011 @ 20:23

I’ve no interest in Team Ico stuff at all (owned Shadow of the Colossus briefly and an ex-rental copy of Ico and found both pretty bland and dull) but I just like that the heading ‘Into the Eagle’s Nest’ brought back a nice sense of nostalgia of a game I enjoyed as a kid far more than any first person shooter.

@kosigan The demo disc is lame dude, its full of repetitive game demos that could easily be found on the store but OPM need the disc on every issue to help them sleep at night, £6!! GET RID, give the demo disks back to the 90’s

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history