So I’m not going to pretend that this is news to you as it’s already been announced that we have six Mega Drive titles – Classics, if you will – coming to PS Plus users for free. Did you know however, that non-subscribers will also be able to get hold of them too?
Starting with the well loved Sonic the Hedgehog, which is coming to you via PlayStation Store this Wednesday 30th March, to then be followed over the next few months by five more titles. Those other five titles you may well ask? Well, they would be Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2, Golden Axe 2, Altered Beast and Comix Zone.
At the moment we’ve got a release schedule in place, and unless some unruly badniks get into the system and damage our code, you can expect the titles to release as follows:
- Sonic 2 – free for PS Plus users on April 6th, released onto PS Store on April 20th
- Streets of Rage 2 – free for Plus users on May 4th, released onto PS Store on May 18th
- Golden Axe 2 – free for Plus users on June 1st, released onto PS Store on June 15th
As yet we can’t confirm the release dates for Altered Beast and Comix Zone, but they will be rounding up our Mega Drive Classics schedule.
I know there have been some questions on the blog previously about what these Mega Drive titles actually entail, so allow me to confirm. Whilst they are the games as you’ll have seen previously from the Mega Drive Collection title, each title does come with its own set of trophies, online leaderboards and in the case of Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2, Altered Beast and Golden Axe II, online co-op. Therefore, they are different from what have been released previously. Also, at £3.19/€3.99 each it’s cheaper than [insert your own activity of choice here so it seems like I’m really speaking to you directly]
The trophy list for Sonic the Hedgehog looks a little something like this:
- Centurion – Get 100 or more rings
- Clear Green – Clear the Green Hill Zone
- Fast Green – Beat Green Hill Zone Act 1 in under 35 seconds
- Fast Marble – Beat Marble Zone Act 1 in under 80 seconds
- Star Light Zone – Get to the Star Light Zone
- Spring Yard Zone – Get to the Spring Yard Zone
- Labyrinth Zone – Get to the Labyrinth Zone
- Chaos Emerald – Get one Chaos Emerald
- Chaos Master – Get all the Chaos Emeralds
- Win – Beat the game
- Fast Win – Beat the game in under 40 minutes
- Perfect Win – Beat the game without dying
I think there’s a couple of tricky ones in there which could provide you some hours of tense fun, right? I only wish the gold trophy was named Epic Winning instead!
If like me you spent many hours of your youth spending quality time with your Mega Drive then hopefully you’ll have many hours of nostalgic fun with these titles.