Posted

White Knight Chronicles II Includes The Original WKC On The Same Blu-Ray Disc

Today I can reveal our packs for the upcoming White Knight Chronicles II for PS3 and White Knight Chronicles: Origins for PSP.

WKC II, 3D, no PEGIWKC Origins, 3D, no PEGI

I can also confirm that White Knight Chronicles II will include the original White Knight Chronicles on the same Blu-ray disc.

The original game has been fully remastered and was re-developed alongside its sequel, so it features many of the improvements from White Knight Chronicles II as a result. When you boot up White Knight Chronicles II, you’ll also be able to choose whether to start from the very beginning of the whole story or jump straight into the second installment.

I’ll be back with more WKC news soon.

81 Comments
26 Author replies

Day one for both games.

RagingAvatar 11 April, 2011 @ 15:13

I’ve started WKC1 – if I continue the content from WKC1 in WKC2 will I earn trophies for the original game still?

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 16:11
2.1

Yes, all save games from the original WKC will be compatible with the new remastered version of the original WKC on the disk for WKC II.

That’s a pretty sweet idea! Both games on one disc. I wonder if much more effort goes into production that way or is it really simply a case of making sure the files for both games are there at the start of production (I’m totally oblivious to game production in the factory)?

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 16:12
3.1

It’s something that the dev team LEVEL-5 Inc. wanted to do for their fans, and was in the plan right from the start.

is there a release date?

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 16:13
4.1

We’ll be announcing a release date very soon. Suffice to say it’ll be only a few months away, if that….

This should be done for more games but, i guess its up to the developer

i loved the first game, can’t wait for this one.

can’t wait till my player character gets her own knight.

i just wonder if we’ll be able to use our saved characters from the first game in this pack, hope so, i’ve put a lot of hours in on her.

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 16:13
6.1

Yes, all saves games from the first WKC will be compatible.

This is great news, but there’s two things I’d like to know:

1. Are saves from the original version of the first game compatible with the new version (put over 150 hours into WKC)?

2. Will the PSP title be available digitally (my PSP is a PSPgo)?

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 16:14
7.1

In answer to your questions…..

1. Yes.

and……..

2. Yes.

obiadekanobi1980 11 April, 2011 @ 15:27

awsome buy1 get 1freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

obiadekanobi1980 11 April, 2011 @ 15:28

awsome buy1 get 1freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does it have Jap Dubs for god sake answer this question for once and why not jap dubs? it’s been asked before the first game was released ever

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 16:16
10.1

Unfortunately not. Due to the huge amount of text within the game, and the number of languages that text needs to be translated into for the game, there’s just not enough disk space room to add Japanese to the Blu-Ray.

AaronSOLDIER 11 April, 2011 @ 15:35

Will WKC1 have trophies and the Home rewards? If not I’ll get WKC1 separately.

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 16:54
11.1

Yes, it’ll have everything from the original iteration of the first WKC.

awesome this should make me buy it now.

Looking forward to it.

Might sound like a stupid remark but why is WKC 1 on the same Blu-Ray as the second, i dont get it. Obviously i’ll have to trade in WKC1 and get the cash/points for the second.. I just find it weird why’d the do this (dunno why i do though). Still, for those who haven’t played the 1st one its a good move and they say “The original game has been fully remastered and was re-developed alongside its sequel, so it features many of the improvements from White Knight Chronicles II as a result”. Job done.

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 16:18
14.1

As I mentioned above, the first WKC is on there purely as a bonus to the fans, and with a series of improvements that the dev team added to the game whilst developing WKC II.

1 thing i’d like to know will certain items ect from WKC be crossed over into WKC 2 like materials used in making your own town an will you get to use the same town with new things added in WKC2 and do we get to walk around as the knight with bigger aspects in changing armour ect ok guess is more than 1 thing lol

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 16:56
15.1

Everything from the original WKC will be compatible with the new remastered version of WKC on the WKC II disk.

On Georama for WKC II, I’m afraid you’ll have to wait and see what updates the team has made.

Will they be more WKC home content like a home WKC game

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 16:57
16.1

You’ll have to wait and see?!?

Ha! I saw a copy of WKC yesterday and wanted to go and buy it today, guess I’ll wait.

More enjoyment for less money, fantastic.

Not enough that we have two Jameses, now there’s two Rosses too? When will the madness end?!

(Though, giving away a full retail game for free with its sequel does make a strong bid for top Ross on the PS Blog. :D)

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 16:31
18.1

Sadly the other Ross was here first.

That effectively makes him my keeper.

GT-R32_Skyline 11 April, 2011 @ 15:57

@8
That is what i would wan’t to know as well many of these games would be sooo much better if they had the original Japanese audio in them

wow
now thats generous

really want these, stop teaseing me lol

Any news on release?

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 16:32
21.1

Release date will be announced very soon but it’s not very far off.

SurrealNightmare 11 April, 2011 @ 16:10

I saw both covers get leaked online a few days ago but I have to admit that they look pretty good, especially the one for Origins.

It’d be cool if I could buy them both in a bundle though I’ll be sure to get both of them at some point.

This isn’t really news. This was announced last year. Besides this game is terrible worst rpg ever. Don’t buy it unless you like an rpg were your avatar is a no name character who doesn’t even get a knight and could die off in the first 5 min and it wouldn’t effect the game at all.

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 16:33
23.1

Cheers, dad.

I’ll call you later.

Lol

Thanks for the reply :D

Last reply is full of win.

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 16:58
26.1

Your comment is full of win too. Thanks.

I’ve been meaning to get WKC for some time, however hearing about the sequal made me wait since I can’t find any copy of the first game for a resonable price.

What will be the biggest change from WKC1 and this new remastered version?

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 18:01
27.1

We’ll be revealing more on this later via the dev team so keep an eye on the blog.

Captain-Ultima 11 April, 2011 @ 17:03

Got the first game, will deffenatedly get these both on release.

@Ross. You have confirmed that we can import our saves from the first game, something wich im sure most of us already knew.

BUT can you confirm wherter we can collect the first game’s trophies in this one? because i heard that WCK2 does not contain WCK trophy data and thus we need to collect them and the PS home rewards using the first game.

bah now I feel like I’ve just wasted my money on the first game, but good for thoose who start with game 2

That’s awesome news! By the way, will WKC2 have any kind of online pass, like the japanese version?

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 18:03
30.1

Yes, it will. You’ll receive a code in the game box that you’ll need to redeem via the Store.

ShadowhunterrX 11 April, 2011 @ 17:30

May i ask Question ? You said ALL save games so do you mean also that you also can use a US version savefile ?

Ross Alexander 12 April, 2011 @ 12:30
31.1

Sorry, you won’t be able to use a US save file on our EU code.

WKC II will be released in the US though, it was announced last week by publisher D3.

Will the game text in Spanish? True?¿

Ross Alexander 11 April, 2011 @ 18:01
32.1

Yes, it’ll be English audio only with French, Italian, German and Spanish subtitles.

ShadowhunterrX 11 April, 2011 @ 17:33

Lol Sorry for 2 times also :P

May i ask Question ? You said ALL save games so do you mean that you also can use a US version savefile ?

Ross Alexander 12 April, 2011 @ 12:31
33.1

Nope, see my comment two above this one. Cheers.

As you said earlier, there is not enough disc space to include Japanese audio. However, would it not be possible to offer the Japanese audio as (free) downloadable content from the day the game is released? It would most definitely make a lot of fans happy. More so, perhaps, than the inclusion of the complete first game… ;)

Please answer this question.

Ross Alexander 12 April, 2011 @ 11:06
34.1

It’s definitely something to consider for future games but this won’t be happening for White Knight Chronicles II.

Personally I’m a big fan of watching Japanese movies with the original audio so I can see where you’re coming from.

Nice news :)

Also, I’m curious exactly what the changes are between the original WKC and the remastered WKC. Just various relatively minor tweaks for the combat and so on, or are there more major noticeable changes?

Do you know what this is absolute genius. i had no intention of buying the first or second WKC as i seen a few reviews and thought it wasn’t for me, but just because you put the first one on the seconds disc i will definaly be buying it. If only more devs did stuff like this for their fans and not just for money. I will definatly be keeping an eye on LEVEL 5 inc dev teams future releases :D.

This is great news.
Curious about the online servers.
Will we be able to play with people from the US or will it be region locked server kind of thing?

Either way, cannot wait for this to come out =)

I must confess, I really didn’t get into WKC at all. I played it for a few hours but I just couldn’t get into it. Regardless of that, I’m definitely going to pick up WKC2 even if only to show my appreciation for one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen a developer/publisher do; release a sequel with the original game on the same disc.

In the current landscape where we have over-priced DLC as well as launch day DLC – content clearly ripped from the game to sell at a premium – this approach with WKC2 is really admirable. Hopefully I’ll get into both games and appreciate the content as much as the gesture!

@Alestes: The graphics where updated to match those of WKC2 also.
Some characters look a bit like dolls in part 1, they look a lot better in this version. Some people had very round heads, but now have a more natural headshape. Stuff like that, that has been changed. The battle system is a bit faster and has a better pace , if I’m not mistaken.

I’m guessing these are both no longer due in May? If they are I suggest you start pushing online retailers to list the titles, so I can buy them :P.

I wish there were more JRPGs on PS3, and I’m thankful Sony Computer Entertainment Europe haven’t abandoned this, as it appears SCEA has.

Ross Alexander 12 April, 2011 @ 11:07
40.1

Likely not May, but very, VERY soon afterwards.

makingdamage 11 April, 2011 @ 19:44

What a cool idea!

Akira_Tenshi 11 April, 2011 @ 19:52

I heard a rumor that to play WKC2 you need to have completed the orginal game, please say this isn’t true.

Ross Alexander 12 April, 2011 @ 11:09
42.1

This definitely isn’t true for our European version, but it was for the Japanese version!

When you boot up WKC II, you’ll be able to choose to start from either of the two games.

I am not a RPG fan but that is a good deal that;)

SurrealNightmare 11 April, 2011 @ 20:16

Thanks for answering these questions, Ross.

If you’re still reading by chance, do you know if the word censor for White Knight Chronicles II is being changed? I only ask because the 1st game censored ‘after’ and ‘con’, which is really annoying for the majority of English speakers.

Guess Ill need to hurry up with the first game, the game has been on my “play trough these games” pile for like a year and started playing it again today.

Hopefully Ill manage to clear the first game at least and possibly get some guild ranks etc.

Hopefully the game will have more content with less grind in later GR levels.

Wow, that’s awesome to see they care enough about the first to work some of the improvements they’ve made in the sequel into it and to then give it away free on the same disc. I was kind of put off buying WKC because I heard of a few annoyances in it but if they’re fixed and the game’s been improved then I’ll definitely be picking up II.

Now if only Level-5 would release remastered versions of Dark Cloud and Dark Chronicle :D

As you said earlier, there is not enough disc space to include Japanese audio. However, would it not be possible to offer the Japanese audio as (free) downloadable content from the day the game is released? It would most definitely make a lot of fans happy. More so, perhaps, than the inclusion of the complete first game… :)

Please answer this question.

Posted on 11 April, 2011 at 4:16 pm by Ross Alexander

this alrdy makes it a no buy for me and the no room is a lame excuse dump the first game and add jap dubs who cares about the horrible eng dubs for god sake all level-5 games eng dub tracks sounds godawful where do you find they voice actors?

I have a couple questions regarding save data.

1. Say, for argument’s sake, you don’t complete the first game and are about half way through. Can you continue from where you are when you start to play the second WKC and continue your story line, or do you have to start all over again?

2. Is there a new game+ feature like there was in the first one?

Ross Alexander 12 April, 2011 @ 12:34
49.1

1. Yes, you can. If you’re halfway through WKC1, and you buy WKC2, and play WKC1 via the new remastered version, your save game will slot you in where you left off.

2. I’m confused!

EmperorLawlight 11 April, 2011 @ 22:37

Will the game be good this time? The first one who really bad reviews.

Ross Alexander 12 April, 2011 @ 11:12
50.1

You’ll just have to see the reviews.

By way of a benchmark it reviewed very well in Japan so we’re expecting the game to do likewise over here.

As asked a bit above I would really like to know if the EU and US servers will be the same or split as the US version isnt being published by Sony and about 70% of my friends list in game are over the pond.

Hopefully this one won’t be a disappointment like the first one was.

*rubs eyes* This is unbelievable – first time I’ve seen something like this.

I was going to pick up the first game in a months time but I can now wait until this one and get both games :D

Made my day. Cheers :D

I have to say WKC is a great game and well i think it could be the next game to be like Final Fantasy you could make it around different times places ect the PS3 needs more games like this 2’s not out yet and i’m already hoping for a 3RD WKC also for those who follow reviews i have to say don’t bother reading things like that as there a selected number of people that may not like it don’t mean you won’t

TCpsnMgalens 12 April, 2011 @ 02:04

@Bohking I also hope it will still have cross region play with the US players.

it is nice to see the boxes though, really makes you feel the release is coming.

ChrisEngdahl 12 April, 2011 @ 02:51

Replaying WKC 1 right now and it’s still NOT a bad game. It’s really enjoyable and playing a New Game+ is fun when you set out treasure hunting.

I can’t wait for the second one, but I do have a question.
My save file is from the US international Edition, and now when they changed the releases from US to EU first, I wanna get the EU release of course. But will I be able to play from my US save?

I have around 80hours on there (and counting) that I don’t wanna lose.

Would be grateful for an answer, thanks.

Ross Alexander 12 April, 2011 @ 12:36
56.1

No, you won’t be able to use your US save game on our EU version.

However, D3 in the US are releasing WKC II, they announced it last week, and they will have the exact same content, with the remastered first WKC on the same Blu-Ray. So no worries….

The first game was disappointing: half story, half gameplay, endless on-line grindind…

But from what I’ve read this sequel is really improved on everything: now it’s a complete rpg experience.

@ChrisEngdahl: Keep your fingers crossed that you can use your US save. I have a feeling you won’t be able too. =(

This is great news, Cheers for the heads up

Bacon_Crispies 12 April, 2011 @ 12:34

Can’t wait, good job on getting it localized.
Now if you could just walk over to the area in your office where they localize the Professor Layton games and tell them to get a move on that would be great.

Ross Alexander 12 April, 2011 @ 12:37
60.1

You’d have to talk to Nintendo about that.

We’re PlayStation.

SteadiestShark 12 April, 2011 @ 13:15

I never bought the first game but this gives me a damned good reason to get into the series. This might be my first PS3 pre-order for a while…

Bacon_Crispies 12 April, 2011 @ 13:26

Sorry Ross, surpose I should have checked who was replying, I thought it was a Level-5 employee, in that case how about the localization of the PS3 version of Ni no Kuni?

such a shame, i was so looking forward to the game, actually i still am, but i just will not support these online passes, this hatred publishers have for the perfectly legal preowned market is just pathetic, this industry got the size it was with trade in from the very beginning.
i’d go so far as to say this industry wouldn’t be where it is today without trade ins.

and sadly, for you guys, it is going to have the exact opposite effect than what you intended, because i would totally have bought this new, but now i absolutely will not.
you’ve forced me into a preowned sale, if i buy the game at all now, and though you will still have been paid for that copy the first time round, why is it only in this industry is that not enough? it can still be considered a lost sale.

Show full comment

ok, so that means i won’t get access to the online play, but it’s a short step from this to locking whole games to a single user, including the single player mode, and given a choice between not playing online or totalitarian drm that has virtually killed pc gaming for me coming to console, i would gladly never play online again rather than option number 2.

continued

sony have shown they have the capability to lock a disc to a single user with the dcu online game, so nobody can tell me it couldn’t happen.

don’t think i don’t know that this whole industry is focused on one resource, and we the gamer/customers control that resource, if we don’t buy from one company there will always be others more worthy to take their place, but without our money, this industry is nothing.
we are the ones with the power here, never forget that.

ShadowhunterrX 12 April, 2011 @ 18:51

Thanks Ross for your answer hopefully players from the US and EU can play together. I am afraid not bec its not SCEA now :(

I loved WKC1 and played it for over 850 hours.
Can’t wait for part 2 to come out!

I was looking at White Knight Chronicles at a Store and I was thinking of picking it up. But I recieved a notification in the RSS reader. And it was this post.

So I’m really looking forward to this one.

ChrisEngdahl 12 April, 2011 @ 21:38

Is it the same voice actors as the first WKC on the sequel?

I really hope so…

I have the PAL version of the game for WKC1, but use a PSN account for the United States. This may be a complicated question. DLC was incompatible for me since PAL disc couldn’t access region locked DLC. My main concern is if I buy the North American version of WKC2, will I be able to transfer my save file from WKC1, while on a US PSN, was with a PAL disc of WKC1. I’m wondering if there will be compatibility issues.

If I’m not able to do that, will I still be able to use the PAL version on a US PSN because I understand there will be an online pass feature?

I know that this is a little of topic but I wanted to say it anyway. When I first finished Rogue galaxy I was just drooling all the way through the game. It was one of the most epic games i have ever played.

So to come a little on topic, i can ask a question about WKC. If I loved Rogue Galaxy (and is desperately searching for all the Dark Cloud games) will I like WKC?

so, my wkc copy was purchased when i was in canada, for my save file to work with the second game i need to import the US version? also, if i have the US version will i be able to get content for it from European PSN? the code for PSN that comes with it will be useless probably. what about georama parts and dlc quests?

always-dreaming 13 April, 2011 @ 04:22

I missed out on the first game but I was definitely planning on buying the second one. Thanks. :)

2 full games on the same disc, sold for $60? This is great. Now I decided to buy it!

GravityBlessing 13 April, 2011 @ 10:21

Amazon sais it’ll release on may 27th and it’ll cost 71,95€

Please say that it will release sooner x)

a homepage in switzerland i found said it will release on may 18th…

now i am confused, what is the correct date ^^

CloudBelmont 13 April, 2011 @ 11:54

Awesome!!! And WKC 2 Boxart is beyond magnificent.

I didn’t buy it when it originally came because of the lack of Jap audio.

I won’t buy it again if still doesn’t have it!

if size matter for jp voice why don’t you use DUAL LAYER Bluray???
or just release free dlc of japanese voice like tecmo koei did

beside wkc is not FF or MGS that have ton of 1080p FMV, size reason sounds like a big lie

honestly not enough size is a lame reason especially when you have:

1. Ar tonelico qoqa (with cosmosphere) that definetly have much more text and voice than both wkc games combined
2. Nintendo of Europe announced Xenoblade chronicle with DUAL VOICE AND MULTI 5 LANGUANGE SUBTITLE ON antiquated DVD
3. wkc2 japanese version size is around 15GB which mean even if the euro version get some update and stuff there is still much room for dual voice or use the dual layer disc

anyway can you please give us free japanese voice dlc, (since there is still no sce future jrpg announced yet so you consider it for future game will be another lie unless you know there will be another SCE PS3 JRPG coming legend of dragoon sequel maybe?)

the censor in WKC1 is annoying and ridiculous – can’t type after, controller, confusing, bigger, crap – the irony being you could actually type most curse words simply by placing a space inbetween.

looking forward to 2, as its a brilliant online game like Phantasy Star Online on the dreamcast – and definetl will be a day 1 purchase for me.

people that complain about the story – well the game was never about the single player – it was about getting things, armour, goods that kind of thing and getting your charater levelled up for online play – the same goes for new game + (better armour) – where this game really shines is the fact its an online rpg and there aren’t many of those – and you get to build your own town.

I hope there is a Japanese audio download – my JRPG characters sounding American really doesn’t do it for me

no preorders 4 = wkc2
infamous 2

reasen = if retailers are not geting some nummers

them canot put in their system. ( i shop in dreamland ) + i bet u wil not get games in store on date .like lots of tyme !

preorder already dungeon siege 3 jun release

lots other games u al ready can reserve .

when is wkc2 out and are we being split up because i live in the eu and most of my friends are in the us oh and are there any requirements to load up your wkc1 save file to wkc2 before playing. In trailers it looks even better than the first one and your avatar is more involved in number 2 from the looks of it.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history