CAPCOM’s Asura’s Wrath Points To A 2012 Release

After seeing this trailer at Captivate, the hotel was rattling with chat of ‘God Finger’, ‘Heavenly Point’ and ‘Space Cuticle’. The game was actually Asura’s Wrath and, with so many of the games on show such as Dragon’s Dogma suggesting a shift towards more western influences with new CAPCOM games, it had a distinctly Japanese feel along similar lines to the likes of God Hand.

However, while there’s nothing new about an action game featuring gigantic Gods, there’s one series that PlayStation fans are particularly familiar with, so I asked director Seiji Shimoda how far the similarities run…

AW_captivate_8

First of all I’m honoured for Asura’s Wrath to be mentioned in the same breath as God of War – I have played it and it’s an incredible game. Superficially, there are some resemblances but we’re hoping that, as you see more of Asura’s Wrath, you’re going feel that it’s something completely different; that it doesn’t really compare with anything else in action gaming.

This fight shown today occurs at the beginning of the game and he is actually one of the weaker bosses. The boss fights aren’t all going to be on this scale… well, the scale may be grander but that’s not to say the bosses have to be bigger, if that makes sense; some will be quicker or simply better fighters. We’re striving to use bosses to heighten the drama of the story, not just use them as an action set-piece at the end of a level.

AW_captivate_3

It’s not your typical action game where you start out with a small sword and work up to a huge weapon; it doesn’t have that style of progression. However there are various stages where Asura can power up – you have already seen here that he started out with two arms and then he has six, and there will be quite a few transformations along those lines. The character you see here is not all there is.

We’ve tried to make the camera feel part of the game, not just a lens to view it though, so that the action and the drama feel grander, if you will. So to take today’s example, we’ve placed the camera in a position that makes the boss seem huge. In the fighting sequences, you want the camera really close up so that each punch is at its most visceral. We keep going through this internal self-critique over camera placement and you’re going to see that it’s not there for the sake of being there, but it almost feels like another character.

That’s just about all we know about Asura’s Wrath right now, other than that it satisfies a common request from modern games fans – the option to choose between Japanese and English Voiceover. It’s coming to PlayStation 3 in 2012.

55 Comments
4 Author replies

Finnaly i get an e-mail from PSN and now its down for maintence :(
When will it be up ?

shaolinsword 18 May, 2011 @ 14:06

Ohhh so its a GoW type game, I’ve had no idea what type of game this was since it announced a while back

@ozug: All you can do on your PS3 now, if your country is one of the ones where its been turned back on, is update your firmware.

OH and I dont care bout this Asura Wrath crap, I just wanna know when the store is back

James Gallagher 18 May, 2011 @ 14:08
3.1

Please do your best to stay on topic.

looking cool, and james i do agree with you, people should stay on topic about what the certain blog post is about if they want to ask about the store they should go to a blog post that refers to the store and PSN.

Pacman_Ownage 18 May, 2011 @ 14:17

Well, it looks like he got… “the finger”

… that’s appropriate right?

ShadowDoGGG 18 May, 2011 @ 14:19

I want more information on that Monster Hunter like game from Capcom please!

James Gallagher 18 May, 2011 @ 14:51
6.1

Dragon’s Dogma? I wrote a piece about that a while back if you missed it. http://bit.ly/gF90gb Not sure when the next new info will come through though.

@PT247: I would, if I expected a reply.. And thats the point, there ISNT a blog post bout the store thats what im asking for in the first place.

YoshiyaKiryu 18 May, 2011 @ 14:27

People needa stop whining about the store restoration. This game looks awesome, and I’m buying it. Thank you whomsoever is actually redirecting this website back to telling me stuff about awesome games and not being a forum for people complaining that they can’t spend their money instantly at this precise moment.

I have installed the newest update, but i get a message when i want to change my password: Site Maintenance Notice

The server is currently down for maintenance.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later.
Please help!

James Gallagher 18 May, 2011 @ 14:52
9.1

Please wait a little longer and we’ll let you know when the site is back.

Similar to the “shadow of the colossus” new face and new ideas?

Looks like a nice game. I’ll be keeping my eye out for it.

James telling people to stay on topic lol .Already trying to bury any memory of Sony’s and you’re incompitence…If you answered peoples questions then they wouldn’t have to go into other threads to ask them…

Finger Boss Fight;)

I want to know why is the blog reporting news late with game news?

On-topic look BLOODY awsome but ouch 2012 long time like starhawk. :P

VictorAnalogy 18 May, 2011 @ 14:34

So I’ll start with six arms, then be quickly knocked down to one arm. By the end of the game I hope I’ll end up with 19 arms each covered in arms.

Here’s hoping it can be as compelling as GoW while bringing something, other than numerous arms, to the table.

wasn’t God Hand a Clover game (granted subsidary of Capcom) ? anyway as you mention God Hand any chance EVER Capcom will remake Okami HD with move (another Clover game) – after all it was a PS2 game first (before people mention the other Japanese console) and one of the most spectacular looking ones at that

if Capcoms listening I have a whole list of games they should bring to the PS3 (cough sputter original Dead Rising)

JammieDodgerz 18 May, 2011 @ 14:36

This game looks awesome! Can’t wait!

Looks like we have a new champion for the ‘Biggest Evil Guy’, maybe.

@andycass: EXACTLY.

how much time you think asura spends in the gym?

he looks like a six armed stone hulk

Biker_Bob_1971 18 May, 2011 @ 14:59

Why haven’t you blogged about the fact that you’ve stopped the e-mail password verification because there’s a hole in the security? Check the story on Eurogamer.net people, Sony has screwed up again on the security side. You will never learn, Sony. What a joke.

no wait the thing(fantastic 4) not hulk

@Biker_Bob_1971@ Wow already? Its only just come back. XD

finally get to some decent games like infamous 2 will ill probably plat like i did on the 1st then you write about a god of war wunnabe piece of crap

James, almost 2,500 comments on the identity theft thread asking questions about how dodgy Affinion are (they’ve been investigated by a Senate Sub-Committee in the States and have had to pay out millions in compensation for credit card scamming customers) and whether Sony are selling our credit card info to them…only 11 replies and they are all on the first 2 pages (out of 50!!!)

Does that not tell you why people won’t keep topics in specific blog posts? If we actually got answers in the blog posts that you guys started then maybe it wouldn’t be so “messy” around here.

If you don’t want to engage with your customers, listen to their questions or address their complaints then don’t post stuff on the blog that’s going to trigger that response.

James Gallagher 18 May, 2011 @ 15:50
26.1

Admittedly, we haven’t replied to every single comment as there is a lot of repetition – such as people asking when the Store will be back, when we have said several times that we don’t know but will post here as soon as we do. I’ve responded to all the points and queries that I knew answers to at the time, and am constantly chasing for those that I don’t.

HAHAHA for a FAST DVD 360 a super console that never been hacked & suppose a good round egg “i‘m tradeing the ps3 for 360” on this blog.

the same site that says PSN having trouble also says M$ have to give out free 360 to ppl the new dash not compactly with some 360 FAIL :P

Sorry, the post above should refer to the “Welcome Back” blog post having that many comments/replies.

The identity theft post has 5 pages of questions about Affinion/Sony’s relationship and only 18 replies…

you guys can tell me when call of duty modern warfare 3 is released pls ? :D

until the outage was the only unhacked console available so xbox isnt as good as people make it out to be even the wiis been hacked in the past

rul its releseased on the 8th of november this year

ruighost”

Been looking forward to more info on Asura’s Wrath, it’s good to see Capcom bringing out some cool looking new IPs like this and Dragon’s Dogma.

and resident evil raccoon city

is there a way i could be a blog mod?

I watched the trailer for this on YouTube the other day and it looks bloody awesome! Thanks for the info! XD

James,concerning your reply to blankedboy’s post, a blog post addressing the issues that are repeatedly raised would be good.

For example, if a blog post haslike 11 pges, you answer a question bout the store on like the 2nd page, chancesare, after seeing the 11 pages marker, mostpeople wont bother reading any of them ans just ask there question. I for example, will NOT read for 11 pages to see if my question has been answered (or asked.)

wezer1871: You’d probably do a better job XD

Can Sony do anything to ensure that we get a decent version of this and future multi-platform titles?

i would i love answering questions

Biker_Bob_1971 18 May, 2011 @ 16:04

@Skookie: With the difference that you get a brand new 360 Slim if the problem occurs. Microsoft has used a DVD drive which cannot be flashed. It concerns a few consoles, but they will get the owner a brand new 360 Slim for free. Now THAT’S what I call service. I hope my old 360 has this problem, actually ;-)

ill be a volunteer sub mod for you james lighten your load

jus gimme the ability to do that red answer thing

This looks kinda ridiculous. What’s gonna happen after you’ve lost all your arms scratching a giant guys finger? Also what was up with the to be continued thing? In of layout, Japanese text (brushed) and english it looked exactly like Samurai Champloo’s ‘To be continued…’ screen.

Lets put this dinosaur to rest DVD is outdated why need 3 4 disc change cant be flashed, but copy the Ps3 install on the 360 HDD & it more then a few consoles.

how much is a 360 £99.99 & how many users take that sum add sony welcome back pack you do the maths ;)

@ skookie

agreed I have gone through 4 xbox’s and that’s inclusive of the RROD I fixed myself (turn xbox on place in bin bag leave for 24 hours and it cooks itself back at leastuntil next RROD) tried I learned from someone who use to work at Sony – granted those were older models – it’s what I did when their ever so lovely customer service told me there was no such thing as RROD- I offered to email her video pic of it – but she outright lied to me by saying the xbox does not suffer from such failures – the Jasper ones fixed that years later

not to mention they initially refused to acknowledge the RROD issue or the fact the disc drives were failing at a phenomenal rate (perfect circle scratches hmmm) they only acknowledged it when a class action suit was filed against them

Show full comment

@ skookie

don’t get me wrong I still have one to play some exclusives and because I have the HD drive and films – ever since I stopped being gold they keep sending me stuff – a year gold for £20 – nah not interested how’s that for desperation

Biker_Bob_1971 18 May, 2011 @ 17:12

at #46: If you are lucky the coming firmware update might give you a free 360 Slim. No RROD problem and even more quiet than a PS3 Slim. And better online…

/runs from lynching mob

they want you back for 20 quid facy that, that never hit the news, to be fair i had a 360 but i couldn’t get the proper scart lead for my SD telly i had to do with RF lead i have got a lazy weak eye.

the words flicker so much it hurt my eyes if it was a thin while line that flicker to no good then holy crap RROD but i loath M$ more they got deep pockets then sony look at FF13 that was the last strew.

oh yes who cant wait for the next telltales game put your hands up, you will have to wait though because M$ have buy telltales a time exclusive of they games 1st same with COD DLC. :D

lol@biker bob let‘s get him/her lol :D

*straw see me eyes it HURTING NOW. :(

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history