Full PlayStation Network Services, Including PlayStation Store And Voucher Code Redemption, To Be Restored By The End Of The Week

Last night, Sony Computer Entertainment issued the following press release:

SONY AND SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCE FULL RESTORATION OF PLAYSTATION®NETWORK SERVICES Tokyo, May 31, 2011 – Sony Corporation and Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) announced today that Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) will fully restore all PlayStation®Network services in the Americas, Europe/PAL territories and Asia, excluding Japan, Hong Kong, and South Korea by the end of this week.

The company will also resume Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity™ for PlayStation®3 (PS3®), PSP® (PlayStation®Portable), VAIO and other PCs. Details for Japan, Hong Kong, and South Korea as well as the remaining services on Qriocity will be announced as they become available.

The company implemented considerable security enhancements to the network infrastructure, as well as conducted testing of the payment process and commerce functions. The first phase of PlayStation Network and Qriocity restoration began on May 15 in the Americas and Europe/PAL territories, followed by Japan and Asian countries and regions on May 28, when the company brought partial services back online. With this partial restoration users were able to access to some of the services such as online game play, account management, friend lists and chat functionality were restored. The full restoration of PlayStation Network as well as part of services to become available on Qriocity will include:

• Full functionality on PlayStation®Store
  • In-game commerce
  • Ability to redeem vouchers and codes
  • Full functionality on Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3, PSP, VAIO and other PCs
  • Full functionality on Media Go

Customers will be able to purchase and download games and video content from the PlayStation®Store on PS3 or PSP. In addition, consumers will have full access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity through PS3, PSP, VAIO and other PC’s. Service restoration of Video on Demand powered by Qriocity™ and Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for a variety of network-enabled Sony devices will be announced later.

“We have been conducting additional testing and further security verification of our commerce functions in order to bring the PlayStation Network completely back online so that our fans can again enjoy the first class entertainment experience they have come to love,” said Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation. “We appreciate the patience and support shown during this time.”

The company will be offering customers a “Welcome Back” package of services and premium content to all registered PlayStation Network* and Qriocity account services. The details of this program will continue to be detailed regionally.

* Only available for those countries with access to PlayStation®Store.

Did you enjoy this?

350 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
Serilthas 31 May, 2011 @ 9:36 am   1

Finally! That was about time!
BTW thanks Sony!

MasLegio 31 May, 2011 @ 9:38 am   2

Will you add extra days for current PSN+ subscribers?
We will probably at 45 days without PSN + service and you are currently only offering PSN + subscribers 30 days which means that we are losing 15 days.
And no, we did not get 60 days we got 30 (outage)+ 30 days (welcome back).

shadedgirl 31 May, 2011 @ 9:39 am   3

End of the week. Is there any date on that?

Hamusuta_SWE 31 May, 2011 @ 9:39 am   4

Wait, didn’t sony already told us that you actually would be able to do this on the 31st of may? have I missed something here?

BluSpykz 31 May, 2011 @ 9:40 am   5

End of the week is Friday (3rd June) or Sunday (5th June)? Clearest sign we’ve had yet, but still lacks in detail; granted 2 days is “nothing” when you’ve waited over a month.

Hope it all goes smoothly!

Date or its not happening 😛

MasLegio 31 May, 2011 @ 9:40 am   7

Also how will you reimburse those users who have DLC codes that have expired during the outage?

shaolinsword 31 May, 2011 @ 9:40 am   8

Thanks for the update, much appreciated

DARREN200COOK 31 May, 2011 @ 9:41 am   9

Nick answer this please, will the store be back after tonights maintenance? Thanks! 🙂

jmcqos 31 May, 2011 @ 9:42 am   10

i cannot wait for the returning of psn!My free infamous is waiting for me!

RICHIE_RICK86 31 May, 2011 @ 9:44 am   11

URG at the end of the week???

Soma_Kitsune 31 May, 2011 @ 9:44 am   12

I’m really not convinced by what they say on the Blog anymore. Sony promised 31 days ago that the Store would be up BY the 31st, not around the region of the 31st. Forgive me for sounding cynical and impatient (and I don’t want to seem like I don’t appreciate Sony’s efforts) but it seems like they’re just stalling for time again, like they’ve been doing for the past month. It’s a betrayal to all those who trust Sony time after time.

SGTSTEELFACE 31 May, 2011 @ 9:47 am   13

@sony does that mean all services by friday or is it being phased slowly into each region e.g Tuesday Us, Wednesday UK….
@ is the maintenance still going to plan today thanks i know you want the store as much as us so no pressure just getting slightly bored of all my games

kivi95 31 May, 2011 @ 9:47 am   14

Please say you wont start everyones store and the same time… The whole thing will probably crash then.

12#Geez what’s wrong with people? The NEVER promised the SAID the was Aiming to have it before 31th Mayb.Big different.

kilproof 31 May, 2011 @ 9:47 am   15

@12 you’re right, they’ll NEVER keep making the deadlines, i am very dissapointed

Al-Bez 31 May, 2011 @ 9:50 am   16

What happened to bringing everything back by 31st?????

Carnivius_Prime 31 May, 2011 @ 9:50 am   17

@12 so what? Things get delayed. It’s a huge process trying to get all the services back online and all over the world. Just be a bit more patient. At least the online gaming and communications have been back for the past couple of weeks.

DocWeed 31 May, 2011 @ 9:50 am   18

lol realy so late again and not told till the last min again its a joke well sony think we are if xboxs were not so crap id get 1 but the ps3 is byfar the best out at min so id never change even if sony treat us like crap i dont expet it up faster i just expet to be give info were i stand and not the day its due sony if ur going to fu$k me buy me a drink first yea

Sony always fail to deliver!

MasLegio 31 May, 2011 @ 9:53 am   20

we got 30 days as part of the welcome back programme that everyone gets
and 30 days for the outage of the service we are paying for
we did not get 60 days for the outage of the service we are paying for
now we will probably be att 45 days without a service we are paying for and no extra days for those missing 15 days

understand now?

moss022 31 May, 2011 @ 9:54 am   21

@19 err isnt that what is is them giving us info, geez

give them a break people

Skookie30 31 May, 2011 @ 9:54 am   22

@Nick it a good thing i wasn’t holding my breath i said in other post this phase “End of the week” is rather vague a cynical Stalling PR stunt dream up by Sony good timing eh if it‘s sunday a day before E3

should you have said we build up the store from ground up this mess wouldn’t have happen. 😐

DARREN200COOK 31 May, 2011 @ 9:55 am   23

Sony please respond to our comments, there are questions here that are yet to be answered.

We demand answers
We demand answers
We demand answers
We demand answers
We demand answers

Death_Seaker3000 31 May, 2011 @ 9:55 am   24

31st May, end of the week same week guys dosent matter really.
Good to see the PS Store back running again :).
Is our wallet funds still on?

Martingutten 31 May, 2011 @ 9:56 am   25

I agree with my swedish brother. If they give us 60 days now, it will only be like 15 days, and that I will not accept! 45+30 will be “ok”, but what they said on the welcome back deal will be some serius bending of the truth. Should be 45+30+30 for us plus members.

Linconan 31 May, 2011 @ 9:57 am   26

I’ll be waiting.
I need to buy stuff,lol

Just in time for E3 aswell,
and just aswell.

Deanobro 31 May, 2011 @ 9:58 am   27

More FALSE PROMISES? Any bets on PS Store by Christmas?

JoeD_53 31 May, 2011 @ 9:58 am   28

i wonder if this will be another false deadline

kofeinu 31 May, 2011 @ 10:00 am   29

I guess 31th of May was not a official info, while this is official one. However, there is a still question: you mean Friday or Sunday? 🙂 Anyway, if it that is true, you made my day much better 🙂

CopperSlip 31 May, 2011 @ 10:05 am   30

Moderators ! Delete my post ( 28 ). I was wrong to have a ‘pop’ at someone and shouldnt have risen to the ‘bait’.

rawrsair 31 May, 2011 @ 10:05 am   31

I think you need to update your welcome back pack Sony, you’ve been offline (store-wise) for longer than a month in total and the 30 days free just won’t cut it anymore, especially after not giving us clear details on when everything would return by.

If you don’t return by the end of the week, then you have lost all respect in my eyes.

It had better be by Friday, its a holiday weekend and I would like to use the store before that.

totalwar777 31 May, 2011 @ 10:08 am   33

Who believes that PlayStation store will be up by the end of the week not me for sure.Getting really sick of it now.We had nothing but broken promises Sony.To me this could mean until Sunday but don’t think it happen anyway.Remember they said in a few days?remember they said by the 31st of May?

CopperSlip 31 May, 2011 @ 10:12 am   34

Im going to kill terrorists in Rainbow Six vegas 2. On my Supa Dupa Woopa Next Gen Future Proof Up To The Minute Mind Blowing Console !

sephiroth180 31 May, 2011 @ 10:13 am   35

Sweet 🙂 But I would love to have a date, because it would make it more certain. You said PSN would be up towards the end of the week, a few weeks ago, and we ended up waiting an extra week. You also promised the store would be live, by May 31st at the very latest, and even that’s bodged up. I heard from IGN it would be up by Friday, so I hope you can deliver on your promise.

Then again, it would be a disasterous E3 if the store weren’t up by the time your press conference started 😛

Retro_1973 31 May, 2011 @ 10:13 am   36

Another day, another deadline missed… 🙁

SGTSTEELFACE 31 May, 2011 @ 10:15 am   37

@Nick it would be better to comment then keep us talking between are selves it only makes us madder

pilkjaer 31 May, 2011 @ 10:16 am   38

Something tells me it will be next week =)

Scuffy_P 31 May, 2011 @ 10:18 am   39

End of the week? So still the usual vague answers by Sony. Is it the end of the “working” week (Friday), or numerical week (Saturday)? Why we can’t just be given a freaking date is beyond me. I’m so sick of this [DELETED].

Martingutten 31 May, 2011 @ 10:18 am   40

The biggest question of them all: Will they comment here, or will this be another ignored comment-field?

MRNice421 31 May, 2011 @ 10:23 am   41

now some of you need to learn to read, sunday is the start of the week,
you are all acting like spoilt brats.
you can demand all you want,
those who ask…… dont get!
those who dont ask…… dont want!
moral wait till you are offered!!
who hasnt mastered how to read blogs aha @3 and @9 are you stupid, read the posting above!
sony, please take as long as you need.

CodeMonkey_UK 31 May, 2011 @ 10:24 am   42

At least the time frames are getting smaller i suppose.

Given the time take (40+ days now) i really hope you’re 100% sure it’s secure. Its going to get heavily attacked within a week of going live and consumers will not accept it going down again.

Havoc12003 31 May, 2011 @ 10:26 am   43

Can i have psn store for christmas plz? xD

Djvilas 31 May, 2011 @ 10:27 am   44

Don’t ask for the exact date. Use your brains, they don’t know the exact day. This made my day! You know what, I’m pretty happy. This is my last week of school also tests this week so, my tests finish on Friday. I win!
No school+No Tests+Summer+Free games=Wonderful time

Thank you sony! I just have one question, will people from Europe get something for playstation home? Not a big deal but still would be nice! Can’t wait!

Sony FTW!

AlexPSN89 31 May, 2011 @ 10:27 am   45

Funny how this happened again: when we’re waiting both for updates about the Store and for the Store itself, the former not only are released later than expected, but also we get to see new updates right when we’re hoping to be able to finally access the latter.

Good thing this short, dark period is finally about to end.

CodeMonkey_UK 31 May, 2011 @ 10:30 am   46

The irony of falsely accusing people of poor reading comprehension and at the same time showing poor literacy skills…

golfer199 31 May, 2011 @ 10:30 am   47

I thought we were promised that playstation store will be up by the end of may? I’ve got DiRT3, its absolutely amazing and I got pre order DLC with it as well which is pretty much redundant now as I have finished the game up to a point that the DLC won’t be an advantage. This is really dissapointing for me. I als really want to do Gymkhana events with my friends online and we can’t which is also a big blow. Now we find that it could be Sunday before we get to play together?

natsamson 31 May, 2011 @ 10:31 am   48

Glad to here this info, thanks SONY 😀 but what happens then, will it be like it was before it went off or will the freebies be on and a new Update like the ones we missed ?

SGTSTEELFACE 31 May, 2011 @ 10:32 am   49

@ 20 MasLegio are you sure you responding to me @13 as i never asked any of that just saying

shadedgirl 31 May, 2011 @ 10:33 am   50

@ MRNice421

Where do you get your info about Sunday being the start of the week? Is there not still controversy over this issue – some who are religious consider Sunday to be the end of the week. But that’s another story.

“Spoilt brat” maybe – throw impatient into the mix too. But if any other company had a deadline and then missed that deadline alot of people would be calling for a resignation from the company of someone senior. Nobody seems to be doing that here yet as far as I’ve read.

Okay I’m “stupid” but you sure aren’t exactly MrNice for name calling.

Load all