Posted

Thank You Letter From The British Red Cross

In the wake of the earthquake that struck Japan on 11 March 2011, we enabled our users to contribute to the emergency relief effort via PlayStation Store. A few days ago I received a letter from the British Red Cross thanking us for the generous contribution to their vital humanitarian efforts. However, that gratitude must go out to you, our kind-hearted gaming community.

Here is the letter in full and I’d like to join the British Red Cross in commending you for reaching out to those in great need.

On behalf of the British Red Cross I would like to thank you for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe’s generous donation of £466,465.60 to support our immediate response to the biggest earthquake in its history which struck Japan on 11th March, measuring 9.0 on the Richter scale. The earthquake struck 250 miles northeast of Tokyo and triggered a devastating tsunami with up to 38 metre waves, which swept away everything in its path. More than 13,000 people have been confirmed dead so far and 14,000 are still missing or unaccounted for.

The Japanese Red Cross has been working on the ground since the disaster began, mobilising some 4,000 doctors, nurses and support staff. It is providing first aid and health care through mobile clinics, and support to the most vulnerable communities in the worst affected areas of Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima. So far, 34,430 patients have been treated. Counselling services have been provided to a further 1,600 people, who are experiencing trauma or have suffered the loss of a family member.

Thanks to the PlayStation community’s amazing contribution to the appeal, the Japanese Red Cross is able to support victims of the tsunami with cash grants. These will be given to victims who have lost immediate family members; families whose homes were destroyed by the earthquake, tsunami or resulting fires; families whose homes were severely damaged; and households who have been required to evacuate. It will equip up to 70,000 transitional shelters with a package of essential home appliances, benefiting some 280,000 people.

Thank you again for helping us to be there when it matters most.

Yours sincerely,
The British Red Cross

60 Comments
0 Author replies
sp33dking89 06 June, 2011 @ 09:03

Glad to help ;)

Amazing !

sp33dking89 06 June, 2011 @ 09:04

Glad to help ;) Hope it relives the stress there ATM!

Iam bad boy

Takehaniyasubiko 06 June, 2011 @ 09:11

Awesome! ^^

jimbojones666 06 June, 2011 @ 09:18

Who gave only 60p??? ;-)

iriihutoR48 06 June, 2011 @ 09:19

I think this was a really good initiative of Sony and I’m still using that tsunami appeal XMB on my PS3. Keep up the good work!

kingofscotland 06 June, 2011 @ 09:25

Amazing effort – and just shows how much of a community we are, coming together the way we have to contribute so much.

Makes me really proud.

Always good to help :)

Still wondering who are the people who is giving every post here on the blog 1/5……. I mean why should this not be 5/5?

Glad i could help :)

Nice one guys. The japanese have suffered numerous ground-breaking calamities in their history, of which NONE were deserved by themselves of course. I had started giving NZ$5 per week via psn when Sony hit the outage switch. Just think of the extra help we could have added to the total amount if we had been able to keep on with the giving during those many weeks awaiting psn’s & it’s store’s eventual belated return… Thank the gods for the NZ Red Cross. peace…

Your welcome guys thanks for giving me the oppertunity to donate in a simple and effective way.

well hopefully that will help out a lot they think that the British are stuck up there as but we are not and the Americans and the other countries good job and your right if they did not through the switch they would of had loads more to give to them prod to be British anyone else
nick is there any news on the store being updated i thought you where pushing content through not waiting don’t you think then 100 million people the hackers upset i think the only way you would catch this people is to catch them in the act if you now what i mean nick and everyone

Your Welcome!=)

@4
Not necessarily bad. You can still donate to the finnish Red Cross if you have not already done so, and that goes for all nation’s Red Crosses. Let’s keep up with the giving folks :)

Your Welcome!Those people needs us!=)

init people if we where in a disaster like that or any other country we would expect there gratitude and to the red cross amazing job

I wish I could have helped, however due to my financial state it was impossible for me to contribute to japan. I pay everyone involved with the disaster in japan a lot of respect, and my condoleances for all that lost family and/or friends. Keep your the hope up. And I’m glad that not only sony has helped, Dutch red cross helped as well as many other sources in the Netherlands, and i’m proud for that. Still I feel somewhat guilty for not contributing by myself in any kind of way, so my sincere apologies for this, and i’m proud that sony as well as many others have helped japan so much!

well if you brought anything of the ps store then you contributed so there is no need to guilt or same the stronger are countries are the stronger they will get

@19, not recently :( Last year when PS+ came i bought the year membership, so i hope that maybe a little from that went to japan as well.

cause it did the ps+ contributes aswell mate

It’s good to know that our hobby can directly help those who have suffered through terrible times.

To Flashyman,
Goodwill is collective as well as, but much more so than money. If you cannot afford to give, then on a subconscious level if your heart goes out to those whom are suffering, which is clear by the sentiment in your post, then that feeling will be felt and welcomed. One thought of peace & giving goes a long way to healing a wounded collective consciousness. Millions of such feelings and thoughts would broadcast from this planet like a beacon, and only good can come out of it. Think about it. peace…

Hachimitsu-Boys 06 June, 2011 @ 10:10

Thank you all people with whom it cooperated.
We don’t forget.
from one of the JP users.

The Playstation community wishes Japan all the best and a speedy recovery, Japan FTW

Glad to have been a part of that :)

wishes Japan gets speedy recovery from this 9.0 earthquake & tsunami disaster glad that i help & thx sony 4 letting us :)

L--y--n--x- 06 June, 2011 @ 10:27

Glad to be able to help!

Your Welcome.

I just wish we could’ve done more, or even turn back time to bring back their loved ones that were lost or even stop the Event from happening in the first place. Now that would be really helping.

Hope alls well in the future for the people who have suffered.

xoxo

I was glad to help. Great initiative Sony and thank you for everyone working at Red Cross for your hard work.

FilipeSLB400 06 June, 2011 @ 10:52

I was glad to help too, This time is Japan, next time could be us. So, we have to help the others to deserve help for us.

I would of been glad to help if the PSN didn’t go down. Never got a chance to donate. :(

st0rmbr1nger 06 June, 2011 @ 11:08

I wonder how many people would have donated had it not been for the hackers.

I also wonder how many media sites will be reporting this compared to their recent shambolic reporting

holypromise 06 June, 2011 @ 11:18

Good job team!

@33 Was just about to post the same thing, I hope the hackers are really proud of themselves.

On another note, what’s wrong with keeping the charitable links there permanently? Other things are happening in the world that could be helped by a donation.

I hope that Sony didn’t do this as a one off just because the disaster was based in Japan.

Paul.

glad i could help

I would be happy to donate the value of my “welcome back” games pack.

this is just amazing im so happy to be apart of it & donated my money to help ur more than welcome & i would like to thank all the playstation users tht donated aswell and helped :)

Nick – appreciate the acknowledgement. It’s nice to know the donation of the PSN community will be tangibly helping in Japan.

@Worfthedog/35 – it’s only natural Sony will have felt the loss more because Japan is its homeland – there is nothing to begrudge there.

One_Divided_by_0 06 June, 2011 @ 12:01

im glad i donated

Good stuff!

if anyone wants to see how Japan is recovering NHK a Japanese news channel on sky has a program called Japan 7 Days.
Not to mention they also run documentaries on various places in Japan – about contemporary life the people – national treasures – they also have a show about manga, anime and video games.

it’s a strange channel for a news channel, as it’s not just news – it’s channel 507 and there’s a website which also has Japanese language lessons

was a great idea,and was happy to donate.

@sprint900 Me too. In fact, Sony shouldn’t have given us a Welcome Back pack. Instead they should have made a donation on behalf of each PSN member! Life is so much more important than free games. We only lost personal details, they lost lives!

Forget to say, great effort from those of us who donated! :D

obiadekanobi1980 06 June, 2011 @ 13:57

awsome havent seen any sign of M$ with all there millions giving anything atall have they???? doubt it though unless it gives them a tax break…..

obiadekanobi1980 06 June, 2011 @ 13:59

all these psplus signs are making me mad grrr i paid for mine it should have been a silver symbol or something diffrent it means nothing to me now being psplus thank fook its only for 30 days then well see who the loyal customer are when they resub

wish i could offer more

Stoopid_Snot 06 June, 2011 @ 15:05

glad, could help :) wish could give more but my finantial situation at the time did not allowe me to do so :(

Carnivius_Prime 06 June, 2011 @ 15:18

you’re welcome :)

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history