Uncharted Golden Abyss Gamescom Trailer

Hi everyone, this is John Garvin, from Sony’s Bend Studio, the writer and director of Uncharted: Golden Abyss.  We’ve just released a trailer that introduces a new and important character from our story. You met Jason Dante  in our E3 demo and learned a little bit about him: that he and Drake have known each other a long time, that they each know Sully, that Drake taught Dante a lot about treasure hunting, that Dante can be a little, well, greedy.

This time we’re introducing Marisa Chase — but as she tells Drake at one point, call her “Chase,” only her grandfather calls her “Marisa.” I don’t want to give too much away at this point, but I can say this: once again Nathan Drake finds himself on a quest to solve a historical mystery which he hopes will lead to a fantastic treasure. The trick is staying alive long enough to get there. No easy task. And when Drake gets between Dante and Chase, events spiral out of control quickly.

We were lucky to get some really great talent to play our key characters. Nolan North, of course, reprises his role of Nathan Drake. Nolan brings more than just acting to the story, he helps make the dialogue his own, creates funny ad libs on the spot, and helps rework scenes that might be having problems. Chase is played by the talented Christine Laken, who you might remember as Al from the television show “Step by Step.” Dante is played by the amazing Jason Spisak, who’s played almost as many characters as Mr. North. Working with these guys and watching them bring our Uncharted world to life was amazing. I think Amy Hennig, the writer over at Naughty Dog, once told me that good actors can make even my bad dialogue sound good.

Not that I have any… :)

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys the trailer. There’s more information on Uncharted: Golden Abyss coming soon.

39 Comments
1 Author replies
Carnivius_Prime 17 August, 2011 @ 16:05

Says this video is Private when I try to play it.

Doesn’t matter too much. When I can get the money I’ll get myself a Vita if only cos I’m a self confessed Uncharted fanboy and an all new and portable entry in the series is something I’m gonna have to obtain.

Titchy_Penguin 17 August, 2011 @ 16:14

It looks like it could be the greatest handheld game of all time. Any chance of a ps3 version as well as you’ll be able to use the classic controls.

Like Titchy said any chance of this coming to PS3? Think about all those extra sales you would make.

my auto upload is not working

What an incredibly odd subject to a post on the blog. Temp holder get published by mistake?

James Gallagher 17 August, 2011 @ 17:16
5.1

Basically, yes. I’m running around like a decapitated chicken today and I messed up there. Fixed now though.

guys this wont be on ps3, use your brains! uncharted 3 on ps3 wile this gets ps vita.

god i sure hope i still get EMA in september because i got £110 so far! i need ps vita!

and james today must have been a busy day for you (and today) well done mait.

JAMES PLEASE LIVE STREAM TGS IN HOME

Looking good, as polished as its PS3 iterations, any info on when we might start seeing Vita and Vita Software release dates, will Golden Abyss definitely be a launch title?

i’m impressed, looks better than Uncharted 1 on PS3 :) but please change Marisa’s hairstyle, she looks strange :/

this has to be preinstalled on Vita free because it can’t be anywhere else , but with this game you basically forcing people to buy Vita … i am buying it:-)

mattmanunited 17 August, 2011 @ 20:08

Sony pull your thumb out of your as$ and fix the web browser, it is now impossible to watch anything on the 4od app because the web browser collapses and says “there is not enough memory. the window content was replaced with a blank page.”

Titchy_Penguin 17 August, 2011 @ 20:16

@davie I see no reson why there shouldnt be a ps3 port because graphics are good , on the vita you’ll be able to use the traditional control systems and its anothe uncharted game for the ps3 I’d buy U3 and U:GA and i’d get U:GA for the PSV as well

@davie I’m sure you would have said the same about PSP games. But theres been quite a few that have gone home console including the GoW collection thats coming out soon. So who knows maybe Sony sees there’s a market for Uncharted on the PS3(and what the odds of that)and releases it.

Wow, this looks great, really spectacular work Bend… Kinda makes me sad you’re not doing anything for the PS3 (Syphon Filter HD collection! You know you want to!).

And it really is a testament to how Sony nurtures its first party studios, giving them ample opportunity to find their groove, rather than just killing the off the moment they sense the lack of complete commercial success as other publishing giants far too often do.

Titchy_Penguin

dont forget u:GA is a mini uncharted expierience, i mean if its on ps3 then people wont buy it on the vita because people want it on the big screen.

Wraxend

but psp is old and the games aint gonna sell verry well, dont forget ps vita is new and they wont put the games on ps3 yet, and bend studio wants this to be a mini uncharted experience on the go, yes graphics are good but uncharted 3 just looks way more epic/exiting, and uncharted 3 is better in graphics due to blueray (not hating on vita)

u:GA looks great but its gonna stay as a portable uncharted.

Carnivius_Prime

vid works for me…

yeah i want ps vita, i just hope i still get EMA in september (im in college.)

yeah but not as good as todays ps3 titles like uncharted 3 (not hating)

ps vita release: 2012

WolfiePL

that could be a good dabate!

cipur1

i think even fanboys want it

mattmanunited

maby you got bad internet, my ps3 browser is fast!

now please stop spamming.

Vitkir

i agree.

@Wraxend Wouldn’t be surprised if a PS3 port happened eventually – some years down the line. However right now I think Sony would rather use it to showcase the Vita than maximize sales, so keeping it exclusive for a while makes more sense.

@Davie I never said release it on Blu-ray that would be a waste of storage. Making it a PSN game would be more sensible plus not everyone who has a PS3 is gonna get a Vita I know I’m not got burnt on the PSP. Nor am I comparing this to U3 that would be insane I would just like the chance to play this and think it would be no problem for Sony to release it on the PS3.

PLEASE make Sony reconsider adding TV out!!

Wraxend

listen to Vitkir. Sure release it as a psn game but in a few years time.

@Davie Ah sure a few years but that’ll be on the PS4 knowing my luck. Oh well we’ll just have to see how well the Vita sells that’ll tell me how long I’ll have to wait.

Mr. Garvin, what happen to that Syphon Filter digital comic you announced last year, that would bridge the story between Dark Mirror and Logan;s Shadow?

Titchy_Penguin 18 August, 2011 @ 08:04

I’m not saying it will just that I’d like it to as is up to a higher standard than some ps3 games.

Titchy_Penguin 18 August, 2011 @ 08:07

@wraxend and Davie222 if sony do it will be in a few years unless the Vita does a PSP Go. Not being releasded after christmas and a year after the 3ds will harm it but I will be buying and hope loads of other people will.

Titchy_Penguin 18 August, 2011 @ 08:11

As it being a PSN game, if the Vita sells well they will do another Unchartded for it, so why shouldn’t they do a GOW style collection.

Titchy_Penguin 18 August, 2011 @ 08:11

Wraxend

jit will sell well.

Titchy_Penguin

thats what im trying to tell him

I don’t know how some of you have the brainpoower to get out of bed in the morning, based on some of your posts lol :)

Seriouly think before you type something ;)

*seriously

*brainpower…….I rest my case, I must be guilty ha ha

haha get it now

fantastic trailer. love it

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history