Posted

Introducing Datura For PlayStation Move

Datura for PS3 (PSN)

Hi everyone! I’m Michal Staniszewski from Plastic Studios – yep, the same creators of ‘Linger in Shadows.’ Two years ago we were asked to closely investigate possibilities of the Playstation Move, which was still in the prototype phase then. Today we are proud to present you ‘Datura,’ which uses the controller in a quite innovative way.

Finding yourself in a mysterious forest, players will navigate their way through the game by controlling their character’s hand using Playstation Move technology. From here you are immersed into the game’s unique experimental narrative and original way of interaction, which allows the player to experience the world not only visually but also empirically: an illusion that you really touch trees, faces and other objects.

While taking inspiration from film-like narratives, Datura is a story you get a chance to participate in. As the player travels through the game, they encounter choices and face their consequences. However through these puzzles it is the element of anxiety that Datura explores: was it a right or a wrong choice?

Datura will be featured at GDC this month so make sure you keep a look out for upcoming news and first looks of the game.

Datura will be available exclusively on the PlayStation Network later this year. Please continue to check back on the PlayStation blog for more details.

24 Comments
6 Author replies
almighty-slayer 06 March, 2012 @ 17:26

Sounds really cool :) Looking forward to more information

Carnivius_Prime 06 March, 2012 @ 17:30

Ah, Linger in Shadows. Was one of the first things I downloaded for my original PS3. Partly cos it was so cheap but also cos it was a nice graphical showcase for my shiny new console. Be keen to see what Datura is about.

VictorAnalogy 06 March, 2012 @ 17:31

Excited for this. Might keep off future posts about it though since it seems the game is all about discovering the unknown. Linger in Shadows is up there with TGC’s Flower and flOw imho.

Jan Kuczynski 06 March, 2012 @ 17:33

Hey this is Jan Kuczynski here, SCEE producer for Datura. We don’t want to give out too many spoilers at this time but I’ll answer any questions I can.

Okay, whose idea was it to add the ‘Studios’ bit to your (demo)group, and does this mean that you are now a permanent resident of Sony Computer Entertainment?

hi Jan i seen something on you tube about this game i can’t wait to play it. it really looks amazing you guys are really doing a nice job there :)

Jan Kuczynski 06 March, 2012 @ 17:53
6.1

Hi Amy. Glad you’re looking forward to it! I can tell you it will be a very unique gameplay experience ;)

jetpacksheep 06 March, 2012 @ 17:53

Interesting, i like new ideas on playstation, for people wanting to know more here is a video link to some footage

Allen_Kirameki 06 March, 2012 @ 17:58

I watch a video of this game some months ago and it look very interesting!
So, Jan, in what genere you could put in this game? In GDC you will show any release date and more gameplay? :P

Jan Kuczynski 06 March, 2012 @ 18:02
8.1

It’s not an easy one to categorise! If you’re a fan of something ‘different’ and liked games such as Flower and Journey then I think you’ll like this one too. We don’t want to give away too much about the gameplay as it really is the type of game that you need to experience for yourself.

Ravenblade86 06 March, 2012 @ 18:54

I’m really keen to see what comes out of GDC about this, though I get the feeling that a like Linger in Shadows, and maybe even more so Journey this is something you will really need to experience for yourself.

It’s great that Sony continue to not only take chances on things like this, but that they are actively encourages people to try and do something new.

Why Pig?

Jan Kuczynski 07 March, 2012 @ 09:02
10.1

that would be telling ;)

I posted video links yesterday within the PLUS update blog, as it passed certification. Looks interesting to say the least!

I’m intrigued & I look forward to some fresh new gameplay trailers ;)

i dont know what it is. but i need this game.
a pig. a forest. a door… is this a playable fear and loathing in las vegas?? its awesome

CoolRichy008UK 06 March, 2012 @ 23:41

ooh jan it looks gd n i recenty bought ps nav n main controller this will be a day 1 buy for me

Jan Kuczynski 07 March, 2012 @ 09:05
13.1

Glad you’re intrigued! We’ll be announcing a release date soon but I promise you won’t have too long to wait.

I’m looking forward to this, I really enjoyed Linger in Shadows from both a gamer and an aesthetical perspective as well as fl0w and flower (in fact they were my first purchase on my ps3).

I’m wondering if you have any other material (not necessarily in videogame format) available besides LiS. I read the whole demo scene in LiS and would like too see more stuff :D

Datura as in Angel’s Trumpet? – the hallucinatory flower that although having psychotropic properties can be deadly and is not a plant to keep indoors

so I’m guessing the spread of the flower would induce some interesting visuals without being so obvious as using a chrysanthemum which would allude to another psychotropic dimethyltryptamine

hmmm the images the use of name like datura infers

PLEASE tell me the devs were on Datura Stramonium while developing this game or at least were inspired by it. It’s an evolutionary entheogen. The logo alone gives me a hint that it is.

Will I be dying a lot if I don’t own a Move whilst experiencing Datura?

Jan Kuczynski 07 March, 2012 @ 09:04
17.1

No you can also play with a standard controller too. But PS Move adds an extra level of immersion

Why I am only hearing about this now? XD

I’ve been using Pouet for years and never heard anything about this there, looks like I’ll have to get “move” now.

Will there be more “plastic” products in the future?

I never heard about it untill now. I cannot wait! I hope it will be out soon!.

Finally somebody who understands Move and is not afraid of experimenting.

CoolRichy008UK 07 March, 2012 @ 12:30

trust me buy the move & nav controllers 4 this 1 as long as this game has got tons to interact with & is longer then flower & journey im soo getting this

Jan Kuczynski 07 March, 2012 @ 15:31
20.1

Actually, a navigational controller isn’t necessary for this title – it’s designed to work with a single move controller

What about using two move controlers?

CoolRichy008UK 07 March, 2012 @ 15:05

@21 lol plastic products such as drinks bottles

Now this I’m excited for when it comes to Move, we need more Move exclusives like this.

Sounds Cool

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history