Posted

Sonic 4 Episode II Brings Metal Sonic To PSN From 16 May

We’re extremely pleased to be able to announce that Metal Sonic is making a return to the Sonic universe.  Not only is Metal Sonic returning to wreak havoc in the boss battles of Sonic 4 Episode II, but he’s making a star appearance in exclusive content for owners of both Episodes I and II! In other words, now you can play as Metal Sonic.

In the same way as Mega Drive owners who owned Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles got additional content if they ‘locked on’ one cart onto the other, so too do gamers who own both Episode I and Episode II.  Simply put, gamers who own both Episodes get exclusive access to Episode Metal as part of Episode II.  This is an exclusive zone telling the story of what Metal Sonic was up to during the first episode, following his mysterious revival.  Set in the world of Episode I, you can play stages that have been rearranged for Metal Sonic.

Sonic 4 Episode II releases on PSN in…

Not only are we pleased to announce this news about Metal Sonic, but we also have a release date and pricing information to reveal too, so from Wednesday the 16th May for £9.99/€12.99 you can enjoy Sonic’s latest adventure.

In addition to this, the game will be accompanied with the release of the first ever Sonic PSN avatars.

36 Comments
15 Author replies
xenokiller90 24 April, 2012 @ 12:17

awesome love sonic thanks guys

We’re actually getting a game?
Still waiting on Skullgirls.

Throw in a PS+ discount Kebby and you will have your self a sale.

3.1

Well, that I cannot promise for launch. The future…who knows? ;)

Looks pretty good and bonus content is always nice.

On a slightly unrelated note, any idea what’s happening about the Renegade Ops dlc that was supposed to be given to anyone who purchased the game during last years promotion? It’s been over six month and still no sign of it, this should have been sorted out a long time ago.

4.1

Bonus content is bonus :P

I’m surprised you didn’t get that Ren Ops DLC, it should have been sent to you by the lovely guys at SCEE. I’ll be sending you a code shortly to your PSN ID to rectify this for you(from my SEGA work account, not my personal one).

CoolRichy008UK 24 April, 2012 @ 12:42

day 1 buy for me means il buy it b4 anyone else oooh yes

omg thank you mike for the sonic avatars I been waiting for them

6.1

Our pleasure.

They’re actually coming out tomorrow, so keep your eyes peeled for them! :D

king_of_da-disco 24 April, 2012 @ 13:33

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEGAAAAAAAAAA! …BRING IT ON! :~}
Superb May 16th, 3 weeks.
Will buy this on PSN like I did the 1st episode & also on iPad3 so I’ll have bonus content on both devices.
Love me fun platformers oh yes I do, especially Sonic. :~}

7.1

Whilst I enjoyed the first episode, this one is a great improvement, and is even more fun than before!

MaikelSteneker 24 April, 2012 @ 13:35

This looks cool. I really like the lock-on stuff with Metal Sonic as well. So how will that work? Do we need to download DLC, or is your account somehow checked when you boot up the game?

8.1

This episode appears in-game, and if you have both episodes it will magically unlock within the game for you ;)

Can’t wait for episode 2, looks like all the right improvements have been made from the first, which was pretty good already. Release a Chaos 0 avatar and this release will be perfect.

Hey Mike, can we PLEASE have Yakuza 1 & 2 PS2 classics? *puppy eyes* pretty please with lots of sugar and a cherry on top?

Oh I also never got the Renegade Ops DLC…

sorry for triple posting (wish you could add an edih button (at blog managers) But is the free dlc the reinforcement pack? in that case I just downloaded it.

12.1

It is indeed the reinforcements pack that was offered for free to users if the game was pre-ordered (during PSN PLAY promotion).

Thanks for the code Mike. However, I am sure there are still a lot of people waiting for their codes. As I said in my previous post, this issue should have been resolved a long time ago.

13.1

It’s a real shame that people may have missed out, but if they contact SEGA customer support the team will sort them out.

LagunaHeartly 24 April, 2012 @ 14:38

Wow, episode 2 looks awesome! Cant wait to play it)
Mike, is there any plans about releasing sonic 3?

LagunaHeartly 24 April, 2012 @ 14:40

we have sonic 1,2,cd, but what about the best sonic game ever?)

Greenpeace08 24 April, 2012 @ 14:41

unrelated to the post but thank u as a whole for yakuza 4 , such a great game and like others always say ,not appreciated over here enough

@ Mike

I purchased Renegade Ops in good faith with the PLAY promotion too! All we keep getting told by BLOG staff, is that the code should arrive within our Blog Account within the next few weeks. The next few weeks pass, then we’re told the same thing again :(

Complete shambles!

Please can you message me a code too?

Also, I hope that Shenmue 1 & 2 HD weren’t included in the projects that were cancelled recently! Looking forward to this & Jet Set Radio ;)

17.1

Hmmm, this should have been sorted by now. Apologies for this.

Code has been sent to your PSN ID.

fjernbetjening 24 April, 2012 @ 15:46

Any idea if there will ever be a blu-ray disc release, with all the Sonic 4 episodes (I, II & future episodes) once they’ve come out?

I would buy that, but I’m not too into having games like “Sonic 4” only digitally.

Mike I haven’t received my DLC fpr Renegade ops from the Play promo either.

Will Sonic 4 Eps 1 be getting a discount?

19.1

I’ve also sent you a PSN message with a code to rectify the matter.

No planned promotions at the moment, but I’m sure something will come around in the future.

Sonic 4.2 release date confirmed = :]
Release date is just after my finals end = :)
Get to play as Metal Sonic for 1 and 2 = :D
There will also be Sonic PSN avatars = SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Day 1 buy for me as I am a big sonic fan. And will be getting the Sonic avatars :)

Thanks Mike ;)

Now that’s what I call, CUSTOMER SERVICE!

22.1

Hell Yeah!

:D

supersmith2500 24 April, 2012 @ 16:48

Sonic Avatars? Awesome, excepted to see that coming! Hope the psyhics are better than Ep.1. And also nice to see Metal as playable in both Eps. I and II. =D

MIKE!

How’s it going? :)

24.1

Very well thank you, and yourself?

If I’m not too late, is there any chance of messaging me a DLC code for Renegade Ops please? I pre-ordered all the games in the promotion and never received a code.

25.1

Check your PSN messages ;)

yo thanks mike for the info any word of shumme 1 & 2 & others dreamcast games [sonic adventure-2]

thxs :)

26.1

You always try Skookie I’ll give you that ;)

No news on anything unrelated to this post for you my friend! :P

flasheart456 24 April, 2012 @ 17:17

I cant believe that after all these years there is going to be a proper sequel to the original sonic series the years come flooding back!

Hell-Raiser-85 24 April, 2012 @ 17:52

I havent received my dlc code for Renegade ops from Play offer either.

Blood_God_UK 24 April, 2012 @ 18:07

Hi, I didn’t get a dlc code for renegade ops play promotion ether, could you help fix this please, thank you.

Titchy_Penguin 24 April, 2012 @ 18:51

Yeah I second the disc release but great your bring sonic avatars to the store as I think I have about a pound so I can buy a few!

Hi Mike, I don’t know if it is too late to catch you now but I am also waiting for the Renegade Ops code from the Play promotion. I have rung customer services and posted on the blog several times but so far have got nowhere with Sony, which has been hugely frustrating.

It would be very much appreciated if you could help me out as well! It’s great to see at least someone willing to listen to and rectify customer problems.

31.1

I’ve sent a code to the SEGA team who you emailed, so they should get back to you soon :)

hey mike, can we get a update as to when sonic 3 will be released on the psn? i have all sonics as im a sonic nut, and would like to complete my collection, i have it on the sega mega collection + on ps2 but it wont play on my ps3 :(

32.1

No news I’m afraid :(

@ thewoe

Purchase the PS3 collection. Slightly cheaper on Amazon or 2 for £20 at Play!

Has Sonic 1-3, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic & Knuckles & Sonic Spinball!

Kind Regards

Nice update. It’s good to see some Sonic love, especially with the avatars, those were lacking.

I have a question, Mike, can you tell us something about Sonic Adventure 2 on the PSN? Is it going to be released this year?

RobbanFoxer94 16 May, 2012 @ 21:30

I just bought sonic 4 ep 1 and 2 at the same time… Will Metal Sonic be in a update or a DLC file? Cant play as him at the moment… do I need to beat the game first?

RobbanFoxer94 16 May, 2012 @ 22:11

Ok, I manage to get the Metal episodes now.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history