The Last of Us demo included with God of War: Ascension

The Last of Us

In just a few short months, The Last of Us will launch and put the fate of Joel and Ellie into your hands as they embark on a brutal journey across a post-pandemic United States.

Right now, 7th May 2013 might seem like a long way away, so to help assuage the excruciating wait we have some very exciting news to share with you. We’re announcing today that players who pick up God of War: Ascension will be able to play an exclusive demo of The Last of Us when it becomes available at a later date.

We’ve teamed up with the development crew at Santa Monica Studio to include access to a chapter of The Last of Us in every copy of God of War: Ascension, so you won’t have to wait too long to get your hands on two of the biggest games of the year. You’ll simply have to load your God of War: Ascension disc into your PS3 and find The Last of Us listing on the main menu. There, you’ll find details on how you can access The Last of Us demo, for free, as soon as it becomes available.

We hope you’re as excited about this news as we are and we know what’s likely on your mind now: what will you be able to play? We’ll have more news about what’s in store for you after God of War: Ascension launches in March. We hope your wait just got better!

74 Comments
9 Author replies

Great! All hail lord Kratos.

Dave-The-Rave 24 January, 2013 @ 17:03

..but I don’t like God of War. Will there be other ways to get our hands on the demo?

Eric Monacelli 24 January, 2013 @ 18:04
2.1

We haven’t decided on that yet. It’s highly possible but this is the way to get the demo the earliest!

Never played God of War, but I will get Ascension solely because of this. Hopefully I will like God of War to:)

On disc or a download voucher?

Eric Monacelli 24 January, 2013 @ 21:05
4.1

Download instructions will be given when you put in the God of War disc into your PS3 and click on the menu icon for the demo.

Never played Dude………..

Should also be avaliable to Playstation Plus members since we’re paying for exclusive content.

Should be free period though, paying for a demo just isn’t right :/

Eric Monacelli 24 January, 2013 @ 21:06
6.1

I am getting the God of War: Ascension Collectors edition so I guess I will get the demo as well.

Pity I won’t be getting The Last of US Collectors Edition unless it changes.

Sony answer. Do not be silent. Will God of War: Ascension support 3D?

Demo will not change anything. All games from the Naughty Dog buy on release. Thank you.

i find it funny that one of the main selling points of playstation plus is ‘access to exclusive content’ yet in the half a year i have had it the only exclusive content ive seen mentioned is the stuff being pawned off on other products in order to increase sales.

if you wanna do that then fine, but at least give it to playstation plus owners aswell considering we are paying for exactly that.
im still waiting for the e3 god of war ascension demo that was pawned off on total recall.

Glory to SPARTA

Nicko_McBrain 24 January, 2013 @ 17:15

Can you guarantee a spoilerfree demo?

Eric Monacelli 24 January, 2013 @ 21:18
11.1

We can guarantee we’ll do our best. :)

Noo!! Don’t want to be tempt to play it (anymore than already am), don’t want to hear people talk about it and don’t want to see videos about it. :( This demo will ruin part of the story and the gameplay. The game deserves to be played before a demo should be released. Going to need to be very careful where I read news on The Last of Us now so don’t run into any spoilers. Already have the Joel Edition pre-ordered and can’t wait

Eric Monacelli 24 January, 2013 @ 21:18
12.1

Thank you for the pre-order! It’ll be a fun game no matter how much you know heading into it.

All games from the Santa Monica buy on release. Thank you.

Is there no normal demo or even just a demo coming for PS+ users? Never going to buy God of war :/

Eric Monacelli 24 January, 2013 @ 21:19
14.1

As of right now this is the only way to make sure you’ll be able to play The Last of Demo.

WilliamBirkin 24 January, 2013 @ 17:18

You should release this with an extra disc or as a code. The extra space could be used for better stuff.

As i personally mean a demo should be availble for everyone no matter what.

Don’t need a demo for The Last of Us already got it pre-ordered. As for GoW would be interested if it was GoW4 and not another prequel.

God damn it.Been struggling for months trying to stay away from any info.Yet you dangle this in front of my face.
II you were building a Heavy Rain style Taxidermist demo,were we can look at the AI and stuff, it could be cool.But I guess it’s ime to go into N64 mindset mode.”There is no demo,there is no demo”

I’m with Wraxend on this one. I’ve really enjoyed the past God of War games but a prequel doesn’t interest me whatsoever. Oh well.

almighty-slayer 24 January, 2013 @ 17:50

Already intended to buy GoW, so nice bonus.

supersmith2500 24 January, 2013 @ 18:02

Should be an awesome bonus in a should be awesome game. Santa Monica is the best studio ever!! Nuff said.

wow great stuff i want it now lol

I buy an awesome game and get a demo for another awesome game.

Got both those games pre-ordered and paid for already, so I don’t need a demo. :)

Just found out that Gamestop.co.uk are going to be doing the Joel and Ellie statue on its own and be around 70-90 euros. So the Ellie or Joel Edition and the statue separate is about the same price as the US Pandemic Edition. :)

Oh and Gamestop.ie

Seriously Sony you’re really beginning to **** me off majorly. DEMO IS TO SELL YOUR BLOODY GAME… NOT TO MAKE US BUY A DIFFERENT ONE.

Is that so hard to get across to you?

I don’t need a demo it’s naughty dog lol Have Joel edition pre ordered, that and gta 5 and other than the odd vita game I’ll be tied over till ps4 :p hopefully before xmas but… hope it’s backwards compatible if not for any other games but uncharted, the last of us, gta 5 and arkham city :P oh and infamous and resistance :)

@08 Yes God Of War Ascension will be in 3D, http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/04/e3-2012-god-of-war-ascension-unleashes-on-ps3-next-march/. Only took me 2 minutes to find, dont be so lazy!

hello sony and ND would it be possible if you could put a demo for the non-GOW buyers, ive saved up pound by pound for TLOU and wont be buying GOW, sorry SMS

another_gamer195 24 January, 2013 @ 20:28

@ ND. Naughty.

Show full comment

@ ND. Naughty.
So as discussed above you ‘feel’ that Last of Us Fans are glad at the chance for earliest access by buying a completely different genre game, Seriously disappointed that you’s have jumped on this bandwagon, a demo should be Given to Ps3 owners, full stop, imo.. obviously like myself, a lot of gamers Will be getting Both games, so for us it is a ok bonus, But i will bet you theres going to be gamers, you know your customers and loyal admirers, that’ll buy GoW solely for demo.. Never take to it, GoW, and lose around a tenner (£10) or so, IF there the type to trade back games, not everyone is. So basically you would be kinder if you just sold demo access on psn, for about £7.99, See how ‘some’ of us veiw this (?).. I bought the (avarage, imo.) Total Recal Directors Cut BD, Just for the 5 minute e3 GoW demo.. Or it cost me £6.. as i traded film back, So i am getting a bit fed up with These stunts.. it’s (again imo) totally taking advantage of, (milking) your most loyal supporters. Shame.
PS. Roll on March.

Eric Monacelli 24 January, 2013 @ 21:23
30.1

It’s always possible the demo will be available via other avenues. We haven’t decided on this yet.

another_gamer195 24 January, 2013 @ 20:40

also i forgot to add/ask, When is this ‘later’ date ?.. i mean GoW is middle March, Last of Us is May, so unless the demo is actually available in March, thats not That early, April will give us 4or5 weeks earlier access.. Nah, this post is bonkers in a few ways.. lastly. whats a Commutity stratagists job entail ?.. as i haven’t seen anyone with that title post on here before. it kinda gets one thinking.

Eric Monacelli 24 January, 2013 @ 21:24
31.1

We’ll have more information on the exact date for the demo at a later time.

You haven’t seen my earlier posts? :) We wear a lot of different hats.

Project2insanity 24 January, 2013 @ 20:57

@another_gamer195 & ShadowDoGGG; Do you not understand the concept of advertising? The demo is an incentive. People can still choose whether or not to purchase.

Comments like yours make me question if I really am going insane. Do you believe these companies are supposed to be our friends or do you realise they are actually businesses?

Shadow_Warlock 24 January, 2013 @ 21:29

Care to explain why the “Post-Pandemic Edition” of The Last of Us is American exclusive and we’re once again being completely screwed over by Sony?

Makes no sense really when the PS3 is selling better in Europe than the US, must just mean that Sony really enjoy screwing us over constantly, hooray!

Eric Monacelli 24 January, 2013 @ 21:40
33.1

There are a variety of factors that go into delivering these editions to market. There will be ways for you to get the statue that’s in the Post-Pandemic edition via other channels.

@Project2insanity

Some of us DO understand the concept of advertising, its to show your product to as large an audience as possible. Therefore limited release demos are the most stupid form of advertising as they do the opposite.

Its almost as stupid as Nintendo with their demos with limited plays.

Demos are to promote a product, you should want to show them to as many people as possible.

So… I am not welcome to check your Demo without buying GoW?
Disappointing!
Demo is to sell your Game. I cant get your (60€) Game without testing it.

another_gamer195 24 January, 2013 @ 21:46

@ Eric.
Thanks for replying, i Have seen you post before. but i guess i never took notice of the job title/description. too busy reading a good post, good stories about upcoming games. I been thinking more about the inclusion of demo in GoW, and i had a quick image of it being done to actually promote GoW.. like it may struggle to sell otherwise, But then i snapped out of it. Anyway i have GoW pre-ordered and will be getting Last of Us day1, probably pre-order to be safe but i don’t buy the CE editions, just standard copy is going to do me, hope you have a good day (?), or rest of evening mate, cheers.

Don’t really trust the “at a later date” part. Knowing SCEE the game will hit the shelves before this demo arrives.

it says when the demo is available so u can play it seem the demo is released I guess.

Project2insanity 24 January, 2013 @ 22:37

@AlexAtkinUK; I appreciate you putting thought into your response rather than what another certain community member does. However, despite his shameful reply to me, his very last post actually touched on the point I was making. This demo is promoting both The Last of Us and God of War.

@another_gamer195; It’s quite fascinating that you replied so aggressively towards me then went on to just about figure out why this kind of advertising is done. I love the irony of what you called me.

residentSteve 24 January, 2013 @ 23:27

I can’t believe how ungrateful some gamers are these days who doesn’t like god of war and anothergamer 195 why buy total recall just for the demo.
I loved the film getting the demo was a bonus if you had checked online 1st for the e3 play though you would have know it was quite short.

Can’t believe this post hasn’t got 5 out of 5(score or stars or whatever you call them) by everyone. It’s the best news EVER!!! :P :P :P The only bad thing i can think of is how do i choose which game will i play 1st!!! :D Demo or Game??? Hmm…god knows i want both BAD…
PlayStation4ever;)

@Project2insanity

Unless you are completely brain dead.. nobody is going to buy the game JUST to get the demo. It is a demo’s job to LURE me to buy the game.

I guess if Sony actually had some business sense, they wouldn’t be loosing so much money. Anyone can make a loss, I can sell £10 to you for £7, it isn’t hard.

Will it be a new demo or the one we’ve already seen videos of?
If new will there be zombie/mushroom creatures?

At least the demo ain’t on some mediocre film like last time…

They are both PS3 exclusives so it makes sense this time even though the games ain’t related to each other.

My mind will explode when put the God of War: Ascension Collectors edition blu ray disc to ps3 and Last Off Us demo appears. I Can’t hold up two awesome games the same time :) :) :)

Too bad… I’m looking forward to play The Last of Us, but I really don’t like God of War at all!

another_gamer195 25 January, 2013 @ 07:42

@ Project2insanity.
You make me laugh fella, i mean apart from your allways i am right/white as snow replies to Us ordinary (moaners) customers, you also seem Not to understand when you deserve a insult (or2) in reply.
‘you people make me question if i really am going insane, reading Your comments’.
iS that ok for (someone like !) you to say Without any response ?. Do You really Believe your That much our intellectual superior, Or do you just forget what you post Very quicly.. Your the fascination here mate, But thank you for your reply, it has put a smile on my face as i am going out in the freezing morning.

@Residentsteve.

Show full comment

@ Project2insanity.

@Residentsteve.
Have to disagree about the quality of Total Recal, It was ok, and i wouldn’t of minded buying the dvd vers, for the short GoW demo, But to Have to buy the Special Directors blu-ray cut, well it was a bit much, imo.. and yes i knew what lenght demo was allready, but as another user points out, it’s business, I Have a choice. But who can Not buy the GoW demo ?. Guess it makes me a mug. lol. have a good day.

another_gamer195 25 January, 2013 @ 07:57

@ Carl-G
Thats a interesting quandry.. having now given it some thought i reckon i will Have to play Last of Us First, at least one/two times.. as imo it’ll be a crime to Not complete GoW in one go. like i/most of us have with the others, i mean i just can’t imagine ‘changing channels’ on Kratos’s next adventure. For anything. glad i read that as it prob wouldn’t of occured to me till i had put game in console.

Woah what have I missed lol ?! XD

By the time I get round to playing the new GOW, The Last of Us will probably be out anyway! Far too many good games being released this year.

Getting GoW anyway so this just sweetens the deal :D
@ Eric Monacelli. I’m not going to wade into the marketing arguement, you guys can use whatever strategies you like as far as I’m concerned, but if companies like Sony are genuinely moving to block used games next gen, then I think universal demos from developers are going to be necessary or people are going to be even less inclined to take risks on new IPs. Just a thought :)

CodeMonkey_UK 25 January, 2013 @ 08:51

Why wouldn’t you give everyone access to the demo? Either the demo is terrible and doesn’t do the game justice, or the game isn’t being represented fairly in the screenshots, videos and interviews you’re releasing.

I see no other reason, you’ve already done the hard work and created the demo.

I don’t expect a demo for every game, but i’m very suspicious of any developer restricting access to a demo (unless it’s to drip feed to an online game so as not to have too many people at once).

Limited demo release? What’s wrong with it?

I really don’t like how things are developing. Remember awful Vita COD, AC and Resistance games? Lazy and cynic Q-force? Messy and boring GoW multiplayer(beta)? Uncharted card game?

Sony is trying real hard to destroy it’s exclusives.

So, I have to buy the game I’m not the least bit interested in, to find out if I’d like the game I might be interested in? Yeah that’s a brilliant business plan, I think I’ll just not get either game then.

I probably just wait until full release i just hope that Multiplayer has LAN
loved Online and LAN in uncharted 3 :)

I’m getting GOW anyway as I love the franchise, but I’m not sure if I’ll try the demo (getting TLoU anyway). I’m all right if it’s the beginning of the game.

Anyone complaining that the us has a special edition of the game we dont, if you want it that badly just buy it from the us? For games the ps3 is region free. There was a huge wait for Catherine to come out in the uk so I bought that from us and got the satisfaction of completing it before anyone else I knew :)
On the subject of this demo… well that’s lovely and all but im not buying g.o.w because theres no demo on psn (that I know of?) And wont be getting last of us either. I remember when I used to buy the PlayStation mag every month and aaall the new demos would be on there. I check the mag now and its always the same demo and maybe a new trailer. Now that the psn is sposed to be the way forward give us some demos?? :/

“For games the ps3 is region free.”

DLC’s and patches are not.

PARAN0ID_PANDA3 25 January, 2013 @ 15:14

i wan’t to get the game i was just going to wait till it goes down in price :/ but i don’t really need a demo to decided about getting the last of us due to it looking so good

@58 ah ok I didnt realise :/ that sucks and is pretty damn pointless… ugh sony stop counteracting good things about the ps3 :(

Oh well, at best you are getting a rent now… so enjoy

TehPhilosopher 25 January, 2013 @ 18:58

Great, yet another place to avoid getting spoilers from.

Have them both on pre-order without such incentives. Anything to push games these days, I guess.

Project2insanity 25 January, 2013 @ 21:45

@another_gamer195; There’s a big difference between my sarcasm and your reply. You need to learn to draw the line sometime and I think it’s fair to say that should be before you start getting personal.

@ShadowDoGGG; Do me a favour, please, and read my words carefully if you plan on replying to me. I did not at any point say somebody ‘is going to buy the game JUST to get the demo’. I said, “The demo is an incentive.” I also said, “This demo is promoting both The Last of Us and God of War.” So I’d appreciate if you don’t imply I’ve said otherwise.

Or let’s just get crazy and assume I had (just remember I didn’t- this is hypothetical), would quoting another_gamer195 (“I bought the (avarage, imo.) Total Recal Directors Cut BD, Just for the 5 minute e3 GoW demo”) not put things in perspective?

Nice, I’m going to guess the demo is about the part we’ve already seen? I don’t want to spoil myself :p

another_gamer195 26 January, 2013 @ 12:58

@ projec2insanity.
Thnx for now admitting you Did give me course to reply with a insult, will it be agreed on that (for some reason) that Wasn’t the first time you have felt the need to include sarcasm in answering posts i have made previously ?. Not that it matters too much however. As once, for no good reason is once too many. I see it got deleted anyway. Yet strangely Your quip about Me/others making you question your sanity gets to remain. Am not happy about that, i mean What was so bad about it that it needed to be deleted ?, in context to it’s position, ie directly beneath your sarcasm, And it’s wording. But i guess the mods can’t have one of their (dwindling) defenders upset. can they.

Show full comment

@ projec2insanity.
As for Me buying a FILM to accesss a demo, yes i did, though i knew i would get a fair bit back in trade, But my original post was that a ‘few’ people will want to buy a GAME for demo access, Not like said GAME and ‘may’ be the type, (of person) who doesn’t either know how to, or just doesn’t like to re-trade GAMES. thereby setting em back 40quid. for a DEMO, and there will, imo. be some, Just so unfair, imo. Thats business, true. But i don’t Have to like/respect it.

Project2insanity 26 January, 2013 @ 16:36

@another_gamer195; I never questioned why you thought it was appropriate to reply as you did. I’m just saying we shouldn’t take it too far. I wasn’t throwing a personal insult at you, it’s the comment you posted. A marketing strategy like this doesn’t equal ‘milking’ loyal supporters, nor is it some kind of ‘stunt’. I’m not really defending anybody, I’m just not a fan of being melodramatic, especially over something like a demo with a game (the relatively recent sense of entitlement among gamers already being way overblown as it is). Let’s face it, demo discs have sold magazines for years.

Show full comment

As for my last comment, the final paragraph was just giving perspective to ShadowDoGGG ie just because he thinks nobody will do something, doesn’t mean nobody will. It was a loose example, admittedly. I didn’t post my opinion on your purchase because my opinion would be irrelevant (I have no issue either way with it), it’s your choice and although you may disagree here, I’m not arrogant enough to say you don’t have a right to choose for yourself (unfortunately there’s too many who don’t respect that right).

My apologies to anyone realising this went off-topic. Anyone else, hope you had a good read. ^^

“You’re paying for God of War: Ascension and you happen to get The Last of Us demo. How cool is that??”

It’s cool but its a dirty trick and beside the point.
We pay to be able to access such content but this
Move in my eyes looks like a Greedy move.
I love my ps3 and will for sure buy GoW when the price
goes down a bit but want to try the demo since I might
Get last of us at full price so this way Sony loses a customer.
Hope you guys can reconsider this bad move specially toward us loyal
Paying ps+ customers.

another_gamer195 27 January, 2013 @ 09:29

@ projec2insanity
That is a good argument, and if true i have no problem with you, or your outlook, but, (allways a but. ), the melodramatic side that myself and others reveal is probably second nature to us concerning most every article/peice of news posted here. i think it’s been like that for a good percentage of us since ps3 blog begun. i guess there Are also people who use this, passion (for everything gaming) in a more sensible and constructive manner. i dunno, maybe it’s the kid inside a sweetshop mentality that surfaces for us when giving our opinions, some obviously being more greedy than others, but all of us wanting something nice. as you said apologies for going off topic, am just waiting for this quarters games to really pick up and i probobly won’t be heard of for few months. DS3 being first on my list, have a good day.

As if there wasnt a good enough reason to get God of War anyway know we can a demo for the other game I wanted to get this year.

Such a shame, was looking forward to the demo too. To see whether it is a good as it looks or whether it’s “Oh great, more zombies/mutants”. Can’t believe you’ve gone to the effort of making a demo only to put it on a disc that I hoped would never enter my PS3. If I get desperate maybe I will just rent the game from Lovefilm, play the demo and return it. There’s no way you are making me play GOW.

wrath_lich_king 02 February, 2013 @ 21:38

im w8 for The last of us and god of war and beyond only on ps3
for the Sony

exclusiveEXC15 14 February, 2013 @ 19:53

I would just buy god of war game, and play the demo and trade it for in store credit to last of us game thats my plan

exclusiveEXC15 14 February, 2013 @ 19:58

When I went to game stop they told me its the muitplayer beta idk if its true or not

Not true, it’s a SP level, but i can’t find out where from, ie if it was the demo our blog staff tested last week, they wrote a good piece on it and i am hoping it’s the same level we will get in GOW-A, but wherever part of game it’s taken from they did say it is a SP part. Anyway, what you mean just trade GOW back in. ?. your a blasphemer lol.. try it first, never know you might just like it.
am sure i have heard that ‘somewhere’ before.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history