Spelunky is coming to PS3 and PS Vita this Summer!

Spelunky on PSN

Oh man, this is exciting! It’s with great pleasure that I can announce the arrival of Spelunky on PlayStation 3 and PS Vita. I know that we’re not the first indie title to be announced this year for these platforms… well, the Spelunky team is happy to be part of this wave of indie goodness.

If you’ve never heard of Spelunky, it’s a platformer with randomly-generated levels, making each playthrough a unique experience. The game is hard, but it’s rarely unfair, and when you die it’s usually in a hilarious way that involves some kind of ridiculous chain reaction.

The difficulty and the randomisation work together to give determined players a very rewarding experience – it’s common for people to persevere through thousands of deaths to beat Spelunky and uncover its most notorious treasure and secrets!

Spelunky on PSN

Spelunky had the honour of winning 2012 Independent Games Festival Excellence in Design Award, as well as a number of GOTY awards (including GameSpot’s Platformer of the Year). I think this quote from one of the IGF judges captures the spirit of the game well:

Spelunky looks like a game of execution, but it’s really a game about information and decision-making. How good are you at looking at a situation and understanding what it means? You can’t memorize, and you can’t take time to carefully analyse, you must rely on your literacy of the system, and this is a kind of holistic knowledge that feels great in my brain, a wonderful new flavour for a single-player game, and a deeply promising direction for further exploration.

I’m particularly thrilled that Spelunky is coming to PS Vita. Given that runs of Spelunky generally last anywhere from a few seconds to a half an hour, I think it’s the perfect game for a portable system! We’re going to work closely with the team porting the game to make sure that it makes good use of the Vita’s capabilities and lives up to the expectations set by that statement.

When I designed Spelunky, I wanted to give people a dense, rewarding experience that didn’t condescend them or get old. We can’t wait to bring that experience to you guys and gals on PS3 and PS Vita! See you there soon!

16 Comments
2 Author replies

keep the momentum SONY.

Paul_Morningstar 26 March, 2013 @ 05:24

Hell yes!

This type of game is perfect for the Vita.

some games just work on a vita! this is one of them. want to preorder!!

mellan_Konsten 26 March, 2013 @ 08:25

This is a dream coming true!

transpondster 26 March, 2013 @ 08:31

I’ll buy it for sure! Good work, Sony

There are so many indie games which I’ve thought ‘If only It were on Vita, I’d buy It’…this Is one of them.

Sony is doing great for indie games recently! Can’t wait to buy this game on vita, been wanting to play it for a long time :D

7.1

There are more to come ;)

Man, I love Spelunky. And I love my Vita. For me, these two suit each other down to the ground, and I simply cannot wait to get spelunking on my favourite ever system!

I love supporting talented indie outfits, and I’ll definitely be double-dipping with this one!

Carnivius_Prime 26 March, 2013 @ 09:57

Hope it keeps the nicely defined pixel art.

Hexahedronaut 26 March, 2013 @ 11:24

Such an unbilievable hard game, I didn’t ever 100% on xbla and I 100% supermeatboy on xbla 3 times so I don’t know what it was about this game Mabey it was because the game was to hard with such little reward “/

Marrsterhausen 26 March, 2013 @ 11:59

Why has this taken so long Fred? Any news on Minecraft, FEZ & Bastion?

11.1

Alas, no news on those titles today.

i think that vita is a great way to play indie games, is the perfect match… think playing bastion, hot line and other more on our vita… just perfect …

Solid_Snake753 26 March, 2013 @ 13:57

does anyone know what the price will be?
very interested in this game
i have watched youtube videos on this game
i could play this for hours :)

Spelunky is pretty amazing. I played the free PC version (yes, there’s one http://spelunkyworld.com/) it has less features and doesn’t look as good, but it’s still fun.

Can’t wait to put my hands on this one too :)

Please make this cross-buy! :D

I think this and the new binding of issac rebirth coming to vita will be the only games I play when I play my vita.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history