Ratchet & Clank movie coming to cinemas in 2015, see the first trailer

One of the biggest questions we’ve gotten in the last few years is “When are you going to make a Ratchet & Clank movie?” The truth is, we’ve wanted to do a movie for a long time! Ratchet & Clank’s action, humor and galaxy-spanning adventures have really been the basis for a fantastic game series, and we think it’d translate perfectly to the big screen.

We’ve been looking for the right partner to help us bring a Ratchet & Clank movie to life, and we’re thrilled to announce that Blockade Entertainment and Rainmaker Entertainment are currently in production on Ratchet & Clank’s first cinematic adventure.

Insomniac is honored to play a hands-on role with the film’s production, screenplay, character development, and animation consulting. Furthermore, our own Ratchet & Clank writer, T.J. Fixman, who has written all of the recent Ratchet & Clank games, is writing the script for the film as well.

But don’t take my word for it – check out our teaser above.

We know you’re still patiently waiting for Ratchet & Clank: QForce PS Vita and Ratchet: Deadlocked. While we don’t have any news to share today, stay tuned, we’ll update you soon.

There will be much to come on the Ratchet & Clank movie as we get farther into production and closer to its release. Thanks for all your support of the franchise over the last 10 years, without you, there wouldn’t be a movie!

53 Comments
0 Author replies

Guess this means a PS4 tie in.

CardcaptorStacey 23 April, 2013 @ 14:10

OMG, I am so excited about this! :O

Can’t wait to see how Hollywood messes this up!

I shrudder when I think of game inspired movies, to this day Advent children is still the number one example of how to do it in my opinion. It should be authentic (CGI, no live action!!!) and the characters should be represented by their respective voiceactors.
Dare I hope for this? It certainly seems to be headed the right way.
Can’t wait for another traditional R&C game either!

I wasn’t expecting this at all. 2015… I’m resisting to make a joke about Qforce coming to Vita before that ;)

Holy moly!!! How was this kept hush hush? :)

@Stonesthrow The teaser trailer is CG, so I wouldn’t expect a liveaction movie.

Awesome

I am fanboying so much right now! So excited for this. Makes me wonder what a PS4 Ratchet and Clank will look like.

Maybe a new Ratchet and Clank game for 2015 possibly?

That could be huge. I’m not sure though if T.J. Fixman can manage that. Sure, the games had their great moments. But the differences between game and movie scripts are huge.

Rainmaker Entertainment… The only movie they have done is a Planet 51 look-alike. Not good…

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P

+ PLEASE do a normal R&C game for the PS4 to :P (PS4 ONLY of course)

ratchetjak12 23 April, 2013 @ 14:24

Amazing News! Cant wait for this! 2015 seems to far away! Hoping for a PS4 ratchet title to tied us over for before this releases :D

dark_angel69 23 April, 2013 @ 14:31

Wow this is unexpected. Such a nice surprise! Loved Ratchet and Clank since the beginning and the cutscenes was always the best parts and now here is a movie.. Cant wait for this!

dogwalker4000 23 April, 2013 @ 14:35

I just put a fresh pair of pants on…

Seriously this is totally awesome news, please don’t make this suck ;)

What is up with every interesting movie coming out in 2015?

I hope gaming will has as great a 2015 ahead of it. *Hint* Traditional Ratchet & Clank game exclusively for PS4.

Btw, I’m definately going to watch this movie when it comes out :D

I sure hope it’s going to be good

OOOOOH MYYYY GOOOOOD SO AMAZING.
and when does sa crash bandicoot or Jak And Daxter game come out :D

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS-SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is hilarious. :D

I’m first in line to see this. It could wel be the first good game movie in like ever…

wrong people for those 2,games OrhuN_06 you need to ask at a differnt blog, staying n that subject I thought you might have had some moans on this q force vita issue but I know its not you fault as tin giant are the ones we need moan at, I better keep my eyes open for the date of the movie

CoolRichy007UK 23 April, 2013 @ 15:02

im gonna see this movie before any of you lot infact i seen it already :D at the end of the film ratchet dies :D

Bacon_Crispies 23 April, 2013 @ 15:05

The fact that people described the cutscenes in Tools of Destruction as Pixar quality I’m very excited.

Is it going to be a cinema release or will it be like Advent Children and just go straight to DVD?
Would love to see this in a 3D IMAX screen :)

Given the track record of movies based on videogames I’m obviously inspired with confidence.

Nightmare966 23 April, 2013 @ 15:14

Oh gosh, at last one of the things people ask for… Make a game movie… With the actual kind of stuff it needs (and in this case it needed CGI and the kind of humor in the series).

Great news, you surely had this one hidden :P I hope this is successful and we get to see other properties get a big screen or small screen release (Sly Cooper anyone?)

This is great, My little girls have just discovered the Ratchet & Clank titles in my collection after playing all the Sly Cooper games. They now want a Clank toy! They’re going to love this.

The only thing i want, is that they’re able to contain this sense of humour, combined with the epic story telling of R&C3. Also that it got a connection to the past events in the games, hopefully as far back as the original R&C. It would be awesome if they’re able to create flashbacks to the PS2 titles.

sorry sorry i meant Movie not game :D

WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO
CHILDHOOD DREAM COME TRUE
CANNOT WAIT
ALSO PLEASE HAVE A BLU RAY RELEASE ASWELL

ryannumber3gamer 23 April, 2013 @ 15:47

This is great news! but please please just continue the great Ratchet & Clank series’ story because no offence but R&C A crack in time’s story and character development would be extremely hard to top. Also please make sure to have Insommiac check everything because the last thing the movie would need is characters doing things they would not normally do. But anyway can’t wait to see more trailers as I am a big R&C fan :)

AND PS4 LAUNCH TITLE!!!!!

WOW! So unexpected, sounds really good.

Hoping for a PS4 (exclusive) tie in.

Oooh, God, no. That was painful. Usually I’m up to Sony’s little “projects” but this is just too much. When you’ve got IP’s like inFAMOUS, Uncharted and Killzone, you don’t just make a Ratchet and Clank movie. I find that the humor was trying way too hard, and trying to fit way too much “comedy” into a few measily seconds. And the self-referential humor just takes the cake for being over-done and self-gratifying.

Let’s hope R&C have got enough figures of 8 in their fans to pay for this movie, because I don’t think it will attract much attention from non-gaming audiences. And considering the people who “have supported the franchise from the start” have moved on to, well, growing up, I doubt they’re going to be bothered seeing what looks like generic kids film 2013.

And I’m not too thrilled about the company having a large history in Barbie and Hot Wheels/Tony Hawk movies. And I’m pretty sure they’ve got dozens of throw-away titles in their history too. I’m not sold on this at all.

...Show full comment

Is this a tie in for the release of q force on vita? 2015.

Oooooooo nice!!

Now give us Ratchet and Clank: The Movie: The Game!

Gamesgbkiller 23 April, 2013 @ 16:18

I don’t know the right place to ask this
Where is the free ratchet and clank HD game ?
Its been a long time waiting for this and for Qforce.

extermin8or_ 23 April, 2013 @ 16:53

Now this should be good, lucky you added the bit about the vita game- as I was about to ask about Q force hahaha Insomniac- we could do with a new full length game though btw.

Nice, hopefully Jak & Daxter and Sly will follow.

dogwalker4000 23 April, 2013 @ 18:06

Also a Heavenly Sword film!? Pretty nifty stuff :)

I love how it looks like Ratchet and clank tool of destruction characters. This will be interesting if they do it right

@extermin8or_ did you check yesterday under Certainy post, we *hopefully* get news later this week and it will also trigger another blog post, also i noted that two people on the US side missed the bit that says no news today on q force vita

Excellent stuff, just a shame it’s so long away!

With this announcement, any chance we could see a discount on the HD Trilogy in celebration??

What????? Worth a shot! ;)

This is all good and dandy but where is Ratchet and Clank Q-force for vita?
There is no new info and I cant wait!

did you not read the bit in blue, or my earlier post, you need to stay tuned.

Well obviously @Mark917 hasn’t really played much R&C or just refuses to remember what it was actually like.

I cannot wait for this. I freaking love Ratchet and Clank and have done ever since the first one launched on the PS2 :)

This is the sort of movie I would want to take my kids to see. I know it’s gonna be brilliant, and they will have the same voice actors and it’s been written by the R&C team. EVEN BETTER.

evergreen_15 24 April, 2013 @ 09:28

Rainmaker also made Reboot, if you’re lucky enough to remember that awesome show.

I’ll be interested to see how this does, R&C has always had good writing, and it looks like nothing has changed visually (it might be higher res, but it’s not live-action, for instance). It’s also one of the few mascot games I can think of that has strong enough characters to hold a feature film. So, could we be seeing the first good game-to-movie translation?

Great news, but a little premature announcement – 2015 is way too far.
I hope game and movie will share the same Blu-ray disk…

maximalcheetor 24 April, 2013 @ 19:36

As well as Reboot, the studio (back when they were called Mainframe) was also responsible for Beast Wars, which most fans have said was the strongest of the Transformers television shows that have been produced and was the most innovative visually at the time.

Cast wise, looks like they’re sticking to the usual game cast as well – it’s definitely David Kaye still playing Clank in the trailer (and he worked with the studio before with Beast Wars anyway) and while he’s based in Los Angeles most of the time, he’s also got a base in Vancouver.

Going by their track record, I think it’s in pretty safe hands and I can’t wait! :)

safe lads

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.