The Last of Us demo available today via God of War: Ascension

The Last of Us on PS3

When the PlayStation Store updates in your region later this evening, if you were wise enough to purchase a copy of God of War: Ascension, you’ll be able to pop that disc into your PS3 and download The Last of Us demo.

Instructions for installation came with your voucher code so find that flyer and get to downloading! If you’re having any trouble finding your flyer, just insert your God of War: Ascension disc into your PS3, navigate to the “Launch The Last of Us Demo” option on the main menu and you’ll be taken to the PlayStation Store where you can download the demo. Once downloaded, simply find it on your XMB and install it to start playing.

The Last of Us on PS3

The demo features the Outskirts level of The Last of Us in which Joel and Ellie, along with Tess, will encounter multiple Infected enemies. Runners and Clickers have distinct behaviors and methods of attacking you. You’re going to need to explore the environment and scavenge your surroundings for items and objects that might give you the kind of offensive or defensive advantage that suits your play style. Here’s a look at the tense situation Joel and Ellie will be in:

The Last of Us on PS3The Last of Us on PS3

If you’re already sold, we think this demo will sate your hunger for the full game until it launches in just a few weeks. If you haven’t read or seen much about The Last of Us, hopefully this demo will pique your curiosity to pre-order The Last of Us today. The Last of Us will be available 14th June 2013.

79 Comments
0 Author replies

“An error has occured” x infinity

Great launch.

Not working right now, but ND&Sony SM seem to be trying to fix it https://twitter.com/SonySantaMonica/status/340515304822153217

Is this what happens when everyone presses download at the same time?

The same error over and over again =/ way to go sony, your store is as good as ever… oh well

bushdoctor777 31 May, 2013 @ 18:12

Not working for me either. Come on Sony fix this i have been waiting for months for this Demo.

It kicked me back to GoW:A menu, only now there is no option for TLoU demo.

It gets better…

residentSteve 31 May, 2013 @ 18:15

I thought this would happen now the store closed for maintenance.

well not working

I can’t access the store either, seems an unforeseen error has occurred. Patience people.

An error has occurred. (80023017) They had months to make sure this worked, (CENSORED) as usual

BSAA_Agent_Tony 31 May, 2013 @ 18:16

Same KylieDog :/ maaan. I guess we’re gonna have to wait for a couple more hours..

Why have a timer if your going to start maintenance as soon as?!

Or even if its crashed due to demand Sony Europe needs to step up for next Gen. They tweeted we’d get the demo TOMORROW!

sorry for dupe comment didn’t know the first one came through ^^

It’s not working :( Didn’t SONY realize that EVERYONE would try & download it at the same time? :D I will try later i suppose(MEGA-DISAPPOINTED) + This is the sort of stuff SONY really should get right next-gen(on the PS4) Or it won’t end well. Oh well.

Patience people, the store went down as well. There is no way you can prepare for that, we didn’t expect, they didn’t expect it. Have some tea, relax….

paulbaker84 31 May, 2013 @ 18:26

Soooooooo (CENSORED) of right now. Been all hyped up since I heard of the last of us a few years ago And what do Sony do? (CENSORED) us up the (CENSORED) with a retractable baton! Thank you very much Sony!!!!!!

I will have some tea while pressing the start button a thousand times.

They didn’t expect that everyone with access would try and download at exactly the same time? I expected it.

JediKnight246 31 May, 2013 @ 18:35

I’m getting the error code as well, and a ‘502 Bad Gateway’ error while trying to sign into this blog. What’s the point in having a fancy countdown timer if the demo doesn’t work when it finally hits zero? I’ll guess I’ll give it another go later on.

What about non god of war ascension people?

I can’t download the Last of Us demo here in the Netherlands. I phoned Sony they didn’t know anything about it so they checked but their system was down too. They told me to wait…….i’ve been waiting for 2 months already to play this demo! I know how this is going to turn out, the demo will be available at midnight and then it’s gonna take al night to download and because I have to work tomorrow I won’t be able to play it before saturday evening. Way to go Sony, and I’m supposed to buy the PS4 when it comes out? Yeah right!

Playing right now,its just like uncharted..

Ishan_The_King 31 May, 2013 @ 18:55

Finished downloading the 132MB XMB file, installed it, now it seems to be downloading more data – 2 hours remaining.

EggersTownVille 31 May, 2013 @ 18:57

@19 non GOWA people miss out on seeing a countdown to infinite loop of error and frustration. :)

Makes me wonder if i should get physical retail copy instead of digital ver at launch assuming this will happen again ?

I guess I struck lucky getting the download, it did take persistence though (constant backing out and retrying) as posted above though don’t think when you’ve downloaded the initial 132MB file that’s it, oh no! Be prepared for another hour wait while it rips the rest of the demo files from I presume the God Of War disc to your playstation hard drive :( I’m currently sat at 34% with 31 minutes remaining!

At least I’m on the home straight though!

bushdoctor777 31 May, 2013 @ 19:02

Managed to add it to my download list but when i try to download it i get an error:(

Is your E3 livestream going to work just as good?

ShadowDoGGG 31 May, 2013 @ 19:11

You do realise Sony this is one way to really alienate your fan base… let me tell you what a DEMO is…. it is a way to advertise your product..

@bushdoctor777 I also had that problem, as soon as it came up with the “initialising” thing it kept giving me an error, I just kept pressing circle to back out then X to try again over and over and over! Eventually I got lucky, make sure if any of you get to the “initialising” stage you don’t back out too far and just keep retrying, good luck!

No demo for me. I’ve already pre-ordered TLoU long ago and I want to enter that game innocent like a lamb, fresh like the morning dew and curious like a ascetic monk in the red light district.

bushdoctor777 31 May, 2013 @ 19:17

Success!!!Downloaded and installed will play in 10 minutes.

Yeah it’s working now. 25 minutes away…

You’ll be lucky, you have to wait till the files install from the disc first! I’ve still got 13 minutes to go on that part!

Just finished it. So cruel how short it is, but only 2 weeks out.

Just to say, the “Infected” are no push overs. You will really start to dread them. Can’t wait now.

bushdoctor777 31 May, 2013 @ 19:33

Installed the extra info in 3 minutes going to play it now!!So excited.

supercoolmanchu 31 May, 2013 @ 20:01

Oooohhh, and you can also pre-order the game from the demo… €59.99 for the digital version, which comes with either the Survival or Sights & Sounds Pack!

Got it into my download list but still getting 80029722 error =(

thx for the infos guys. 60€ and no plus discount? some of the recent USA $60 games wer 50€ here. Cant have it all I guess. Anyone see the filesize of the full game already?

conormcl2007 31 May, 2013 @ 20:09

Finished it, loved it. Roll on release day here in Northern Ireland! I’ve got my Ellie edition pre-ordered! Can’t wait!

Do i need to update the game to download the demo ?! Can’t seem to find the last of us page…

ashton_philip 31 May, 2013 @ 20:13

Absolutely loved it and really happy I’ve Pr-ordered the game! Short and sweet demo. It has a feel that is a lot more strategic than typical shooters I really had to think about how I was gonna approach the infected using all the tools at my disposal. Stupid Clicker took two of my shivs and 2 revolver bullets. I loved Bioshock: Infinite but the gameplay in this game is something that breaks out of a cliched mould.

So much for PS+ getting you exclusive demos.

Still can’t download it. Error Code 80029722 =((((

residentSteve 31 May, 2013 @ 20:28

Not sure if I like it yet why can’t you change weapons with the d-pad it’s to slow to change weapons if you run out of ammo took 3 goes to finish the demo just wished it was a bit longer to see if I liked the controls or not.

@residentSteve its slow to change weapon because its about survival. You need to plan, changing at any moment would decrease the tention.

Stonesthrow 31 May, 2013 @ 21:05

Thanks for the heads up on the extra downloading time guys. Hate to run into something like that when I expect to do a quick download and play another game after.

Coody-Baroody 31 May, 2013 @ 21:22

I cant tell you how much I WISH with every fibre of myself that ND never made this DAMN demo. I stumbled on the fact that hackers had hacked this demo and revealed all the titles of the cut scenes. I didn’t know anything about it, went on Youtube to watch the PS4 show again and there was a comment from a jealous xbox fanboy spoiling the end for everyone!

I just hope and pray what I saw wasn’t accurate cos TLOU is my most anticipated game ever. Also fellow PS gamers, I heard that the demo detracts from the actual experience of that section if the game so I wouldn’t bother playing it anyway.

Anyone know how I can give myself amnesia? ;(((((

andrewsqual 31 May, 2013 @ 21:30

@supercoolmanchu Gamestop Ireland are doing the Ellie Edition mate that comes with the two packs and more. They are also doing the Statue on its own that usually comes with the U.S. Post Pandemic Edition and it is on sale right now!!! Gamestop UK are doing it also. I got my statue today!!!

Anyone care to give an unbiased opinion on the demo?
Controls,gameplay, environment etc

The store has been problematic since the update. I know the old store had issues but none as bad as the ones here. Thank god they are developing a new system for PS4.

I had Ascension for a while, got the platinum and moved it on. Sad really, I love the series but Ascension is just such a low point. If only the game could have been as exhilarating as the final boss fight. *sigh*

I hope you guys enjoy the demo, I will painfully wait 2 more weeks for the full release.

solarwind12 01 June, 2013 @ 00:13

Show full comment

Not impressed with glimpse’s of demo, main gripe being the not so open world. ie advance too far in Gameplay direction and avanues to return to unexplored areas are blocked, little annoyed myself. also agree with residentsteve, the guns really Shouldn’t need equipping from backpack, well cerainly not singularly, could understand if you had numerous firearms, but two handguns .. i mean it IS a Survival horror/action, idea of Not being able to fast swop at least minimum of two handguns imo totally defeats it’s genre.. in any other game/real life predicament who would stow away half their lifesaving equipment in a backpack… Was pleased to see the option to pre-order from menu, mostly as the price is £39.99.. personally i think thats a similar mistake like Borderlands2. ie when they realised they added extra £10 on, But honoured those that’d allready ordered, but hope i am proven wrong.. Not as good as the GAME/SONY pr demo from fortnight ago, so i know to expect better in few weeks.. still upset about being locked out of previous areas more than anything.. i mean i may of found good stuff there. Still (oviously) day1buy for me though.

solarwind12 01 June, 2013 @ 00:15

Awaiting moderation ?.. absolutely ridiculous, sort it out.

solarwind12 01 June, 2013 @ 00:23

@ comment 34.
€59, you sure, as on my option it had £39.99… perhaps as i mentioned this in above post i got awaiting moderation ?. anyway pre-ordered mine for That price, survivor pack..

Brilliant Demo!!! :P :P :P Another ND classic in the making;) At 1 point i thought i was playing the PS4:D That water/rain looked REAL!!!:P Shame about the downloading pain bit but all good now(hopefully no mistakes like this for the PS4 please SONY. Make all the features on the PS4 rock-solid & i really want to see the end of tedious(well with my internet) waiting for all the Demos to download in the future. Hopefully all Demos can be streamed to the PS4) ;)

soooo..what about the people who dont like god of war ? do we get no demo at all..thanks alot

Guys ,, i gotta a problem …
alright look , i downloaded the last of us demo (132MB) and when i try to extract or download the remaining files the download stuck at 8.55% i ve tried all the ways and even waited 15 hours thinking maybe its a server issue ,, but i don’t know what the problem could be .. Thanks is advance

kasperonline 01 June, 2013 @ 10:55

good
Demo

Sorry Sony, Sorry Naughty Dog..but
*bites tongue*
Not very pleased with ya :(

GOWA should’ve been an alternate route to download The Last Of Us Demo.
Should’ve been for PS+ subs first and/or as well.

Rethinking my priorities for future PS+ now, sorry.
I’ve been hanging for TLOU. And thought yeah, it’ll be for us subs, but then i heard just for GOWA so i thought i could hold off.
But now after seeing all the Vids etc, frustration is kicking in.

Still love you guys obviously! :)
Just upset/frustrated now.

I’ll get over it with time and therapy.
LOL :)

mondo-gamer 01 June, 2013 @ 13:02

I wonder why the promotion cost 64 GBP in Israel, Sony even doesn’t bother to translate the game to Hebrew.

I wonder if anyone in Sony even care a little bit about the Israeli market that pays much more and gets much less.

I’m still waiting for the WRC 3 Safari & Mini DLC’s that Sony forgot to enable in the Israeli PSN Store,

Thanks god we have Steam in Israel that treat us almost like human being unlike Sony.

I’m resisting temptation. I want to go into the game with nothing spoiled.

@ MlNlN3V:
Go ahead and try it out. There’s absolutely no story in the demo bit.

Similar to Uncharted in terms of controls but the environment was a bit bland. I honestly found it difficult to like from the demo but then again, it was a very short demo!

Last of Us demo still doesn’t download. After starting the disk and clicking the Square for the early access demo, it goes to a black screen with the words “The Last of Us” in the lower right hand corner and it just sits there. The only way to get out of it is to press the PS button and it asks if you want to quite the game. When you say yes, it reboots the PS3.
So basically it looks like the game can’t get the PS store but I can get to the PS store manually.
Seems it would have just been better to send a key or something to people who bought/registered the game. Even though this isn’t DRM, issues like this will get tacked onto DRM discussions as an example of how you can’t get software as easily as you should even when you are doing everything legitimately.

XxBlackozxX11 01 June, 2013 @ 20:14

Hi, I tried to deposit $20 in my PSN account but it was rejected. However, in my credit card I lost the $20 and this money haven´t been returned. Can u give me a solution? I have the bill than proof.

dannycorker 01 June, 2013 @ 20:15

@64 I’m having the same problem, anyone any idea how to fix this? Just getting a logo in the bottom right,first time there was some static over it too…

@66(dannycorker)
Yeah, every once in a while I get the bar of static above the word “The”. Very weird. I even deleted my game data so that the updates could be re-applied but still got the same thing. A black screen with the glowing “The Last of Us” in the right hand corner. I let it sit for minutes and then I start clicking all the different buttons on the controller in case it is waiting for me to do something but I get nothing.

Okay i wanted to ask if there’s another way of getting that demo,but probably not.

maybe judging from the backlash now it wasn’t such a good idea,but this has happened before with the Fifa 13 demo.

I am amazed how people react to this,at least you have your demo’s,i think something like this should be available to PS+ subscribers as well.
Especially this demo..

Maybe i should have bought GoW Ascension but people said the game was a step back from GoWIII in overall experience.

So… i guess i have to wait and see again what people will say lol.

But it’s sad though people have to go trough this after they bought a game to get a glimpse of another game’s demo.

And then not being able to access it.. SMH..

maybe they should think twice about doing this again.

It’s bad enough that they moved the Last of Us demo release date AFTER we purchased the GOW Ascension disc (which says May 7 in the disc jacket) but then even when the date has arrived….I still can’t get it.

solidussteel 02 June, 2013 @ 00:36

Anything TLoU is 5 stars

Loved every second of the demo..Roll on June 14th :)

residentSteve 02 June, 2013 @ 05:46

Who doesn’t like god of war, I started off not quite liking this one (ascension) but over time it’s just has good has the others.
Glad I got a chance to play the demo but its not for me I have gotten use to all the action in playing resident evil over the years (which is still my fav game series ever, roll on re7) but not being able to take the enemies out with a machine gun or something like that gets on my nerves.
I don’t think I will buy the game now hopefully it will come to plus at some point, I’m doing that with a few games now ac3 and need for speed most wanted I hope they will be on there some time it saves buying them.

kraattosse25 02 June, 2013 @ 08:21

firstly thankyou sony for consuming round 20 gb of internet data through god of war ascension hunter update. but its cool coz (CENSORED) happens sometime. but i donot understand why it still shows error 80710723 n 800233EF while downloading hunter 1.07 for gow . sony network has falsly consumed over …….like i mentioned b4 . still it keeps on going withe error 80710723 n 800233EF . not just hats off but pants off to sony for this.fix it coz my internet works 100%. something is wrong with ur patch download. i have tried every thing posted in godofwarascension.com forums but all i get is end up being mind (CENSORED). so do something .

kraattosse25 02 June, 2013 @ 08:23

so forget bout last of us download .

aww :c i pre ordered the game! where is mt demo, i have to wait :c waiting sucks

can i downloat without having god of war game?

Eagleye2500 09 June, 2013 @ 21:11

I’m updating to version 1.07 on GoW:A and wondering is it still playable (TLOU demo) after June 9th?

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history