Dying Light – What the Dead Island studio did next…

E3 is always an exciting time for the world of gaming. Never more so than this year, with the new console generation offering new opportunities and new, wonderful technology for us developers to tinker with. It’s also a special show for Techland.

We’re thrilled to give media their first hands-on demo of our biggest and most ambitious project to date, Dying Light. But there’s more! You, the gamers, are the most important people in this project, so before the show we’re giving you a glimpse into the unforgiving world of the game.

The city, devastated by a deadly outbreak, is a battleground. Witness the survivors’ desperate race to a cache of supplies. Free running from here to there is only a part of the challenge. The real test is trying to stay alive through the night, when the infected become more active and even more deadly. This is your world now, every day and every night, so run! Good night, good luck!

23 Comments
1 Author replies

Good morning.
I wonder if the game The Last Guardian announced at E3 2009 was canceled or not. I knew that would mention it at E3 2013, could give me more information?
Thank you!

Fred Dutton 07 June, 2013 @ 14:25
1.1

Stay on topic please. No new news to offer on this at present.

So dead island with some improvements.

I would have thought that as a developer who has made 2 first person zombie games that were less than stellar a new direction could be the way to go.

Zombie games are like the undead lots of them are ugly and stink and no matter what they just keep coming and coming.
(Not implying all zombie games are bad)

@1

This is a techland post and not Sony so questions not related to this or other techland projects won’t get answered and usually lead to a simple please stay on topic reply.

And btw if the game your talking about is in development still I’m sure you will find out in less than 4 days at e3.

bidbaldwolf86 07 June, 2013 @ 14:16

Impressive trailer. I can’t wait to see some gameplay footage of this but being able to free run sounds cool.

Kind of like Mirrors Edge crossed with Dead Island.

Colour me intrigued

@bitbaldwolf86

I refuse to base my impressions of the game on the trailer above as the last 2 games from this studio had fantastic cgi trailers that had absolutely nothing to do with what the game would be like.

I’m fed up of zombie games….:/ too many… The Last Of Us is the only one intriguing me enough:)
Still it looks interesting, maybe it could be interesting with the running mechanics!
BUT… there’s woodkid so I’ve watched this gladly :P

Stonesthrow 07 June, 2013 @ 14:34

Sorry but I lost confidence in the studio. Dead Island was disastrous on a technical level and the controlls were horrible.

VictorAnalogy 07 June, 2013 @ 14:35

Skeptical. Looks cool, but fool me once etc.

Hey Fred, the front page of the blog keeps telling me that it’s under maintenance.

Wow, I was shocked! I thought I was looking at the next Infamous game. The back of the character looks remarkably like Cole with his bag and everything and he’s also using a weapon that looks a lot like the amp. The gameplay looks like a third person Mirror’s Edge.
That isn’t necessarily bad but hardly original. I hope the story has more impact then the emotionless glance when the guy looks how his mates are brutally killed by running zombies.

Really? Another zombie game? Please, please, please come up with something new.

dark_angel69 07 June, 2013 @ 14:44

Been waiting for a trailer for this ever since I heard about it on Kotaku. Looks amazing. I really hope this game doesn’t get rushed and cause so many problems like Dead Island does. I would would recommend you tell the team to take as much time as they need to get this game to come out perfect. Delay it if you must.

Dead Island was a big disappointment to me with all the problems it had and the lack of cut scenes therefore I have no plans on buying ever buying a future Dead Island game.

I hope you guys make this game a proper decent game which can win me back. No bugs and give it plenty of cut scenes for a nice story. I believe this game would be a great fresh start to your zombie game so please don’t mess it up.

For now I just have one question. Does this trailer actually have anything to do with the story in the game or is this just another Dead Island alike trailer that pulls us in only to find out the game doesn’t have anything to do with it?

If you don’t mind this question, d...

Show full comment

If you don’t mind this question, does that man in yellow be a playable character or is he just made up for the trailer like the family in Dead Island hotel?

When u see his face at the end before the hit the guy looks pretty pretty much the same as the guy who played Lincoln on prison break

CoolRichy007UK 07 June, 2013 @ 14:51

ye its free running dead island :D looks gooood i think il deffo get a ps4 now wooohooo and yes

iFrozen-BR STAY ON TOPIC or il throw you into the zombie tank then ul be frozen

Ah man i was excited for this, knowing it’s from you guys has completely sucked out any hype i had for this.

Considering how Dead Island: Riptide ended and comments made by Techland wanting to bring the infection more inland, I think this is the spiritual successor to Dead Island, just as a different brand

@pricey1995

According to the kotaku article a few weeks ago thats exactly what this is weapon crafting and all.

Have to wonder if dead island had been better received would this have had the dead island name attached to it as its not exactly a big departure.

GalapagosaraY 07 June, 2013 @ 15:32

Like all Techland games i expect this to have poor plot and npcs that are adeader than the zombies. Dead Island was a borefest after the Resort part. Also Hellraid looks like its just a mod for Dead Island, even the special zombies seem to be just reskinned on “Thug/Ram etc.”

@17

Techland bargain bin games at blockbuster prices.

What the Dead Island studio did next…

Release yet another trailer that doesn’t represent the game, or its low quality at all.

@hayzink

Personally I thought both DI games were great, obviously with the original cinematic trailer (like this one) everyone was really disappointed, but it was different to the majority of tho ha at the time, the gameplay was made difficult for everyone with how the zombies were equal to your level, but I think all the negative reception came from the deceiving trailer

looks good… main character looks like Cole McGrath from inFamous.
the zombies also look like they are too agile for a undead person. i prefer the more slow and sneaky type, like in The Walking Dead TV show.

dogwalker4000 07 June, 2013 @ 17:31

You guys make impressive trailers. Shame your games never live up to them. :(

Sounds interesting. I enjoyed Dead Island. This sounds like a more advanced dead island with mirrors edge thrown into it which to me sounds brill.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history