Posted

Batman: Arkham Origins multiplayer revealed!

The Batman: Arkham series has proven that superhero games have the potential to be some of the best in the biz, but they’ve been strictly single-player outings so far. In Batman: Arkham Origins, WB Games and Splash Damage are building an online multiplayer experience to complement the main campaign. And guess what — it’s really good.

Called Invisible Predator Online, this new mode takes the concept of the earlier games’ Challenge Rooms and puts other players into the role of the Joker and Bane’s thugs. Yes, this raises lots of questions. The general premise is as follows:

Eight players take to the streets of Gotham in the game’s multiplayer mode: three Joker thugs, three Bane thugs, and two heroes in the form of Batman and Robin. The thugs compete to wipe out the other team and capture control points in what plays out like a third-person, cover-based shooter. Meanwhile, the two heroes prowl the playfield in an attempt to intimidate enemies and provoke the gang leaders into calling the whole operation off.

Batman: Arkham Origins on PS3

When playing as Batman or Robin, variety matters. Repeating the same takedowns over and over will result in lower and lower intimidation yields, so you’ll need to get creative. Hide in ducts and score a takedown when someone passes over you, then grapple to a gargoyle overhead to get the drop on another unsuspecting thug. Set some explosive gel and wait for the right moment to detonate, while hiding in the shadows for a surprise chokeout. The more you mix it up, the better your chances. Whatever you do, though, be careful — getting taken out will bolster your foes’ confidence, undoing a good chunk of the progress you’ve made so far.

Initially, playing as Batman or Robin seems like a privilege players will be fighting over, but I actually had more fun getting down and dirty as one of the henchmen on the field. This mode would be a fully competent third-person shooter without the heroes’ presence, but their inclusion adds a wildcard element that turns Invisible Predator Online into a completely different kind of experience.

Tensions run high when you know the Batman could be around any corner, and the game plays to that stress. More than once, I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye and immediately fired in its direction, before realizing (too late, of course) that it was a flock of bats and my true target was lying in wait above me.

Batman: Arkham Origins on PS3

This trepidation follows you throughout the course of each match, so the last thing you want to do is assault your opponents head-on. You’ll be constantly watching the shadows, grates, and gargoyles above, while working to eliminate the opposing gang’s forces and capture the map’s control points.

In a fun twist, once the match has progressed a bit, the leader of your gang will radio in and demand entry into the arena. The first person on either team to reach the door they’re waiting at will assume actual control of either the Joker or Bane depending on their allegiance that round. The gang leader is, as one would assume, vastly more powerful than the standard henchmen, and can often turn the tide in a seemingly one-sided battle.

There’s an engrossing customization element to the game, as well. You can outfit all three factions with unlockable gear and outfits that you’ll earn throughout your time playing Invisible Predator Online. These range from practical upgrades like new weapons and additional loadout slots, to more fun options like the ever-popular Animated Series Batman costume.

Oh, one quick aside: Robin, while reportedly not a part of the single-player campaign, has a slick new character model in Invisible Predator Online. He’s not the gruff Robin from Arkham City, though that outfit is unlockable, but a younger, leaner Tim Drake (confirmed!) who looks more in line with the Robin you likely know from the comics or the animated series.

It’s still pretty early, but there’s already plenty to love about Arkham Origins’ multiplayer. This isn’t a loosely-constructed mode for the sake of printing another bullet point on the back of the box but a well thought out, fully realized multiplayer experience set in the Arkham universe. Splash Damage has a monolithic pedigree to live up to, but based on what we’ve seen so far, it seems they are up to the task.

Got any questions about Invisible Predator Online? Shoot ’em my way in the comments and I’ll answer what I can.

28 Comments
0 Author replies

Ooooooh!

A Sony Social Media Expert even if from America, should not visit the european blog only to drop marketing promotions but also to engage with the readers and commenters of the blog. We need more sony care here and please dont say you came without max payne 3 discount in your pockets.. !! :)

This is so sweet :D!!! I want to be Joker :D

Nightmare966 31 July, 2013 @ 14:16

That looks… surprisingly interesting.

Sounds interesting indeed. Hunting goons in the previous games was fantastic, doing that online could be awesome.

SpiderMike_X 31 July, 2013 @ 14:17

“A Sony Social Media Expert even if from America, should not visit the european blog only to drop marketing promotions but also to engage with the readers and commenters of the blog. ”

You might want to familiarise yourself with the term ‘blog’ and it’s varied implementations. Anyone posting a blog update isn’t obliged to “engage” with anyone else. They hold the right and have the opportunity but it isn’t a necessity. On the other hand neither is it customary for you to troll every member of the community team with your bad attitude and off-topic suggestions, remarks and commentary.

Show full comment

On-topic – I feel that tacking on something to appease a minority in such a hallowed franchise takes something away from the single player experience. I know you’ll argue the issue but any effort spent on MP detracted from time that could have been better spent on the SP and from a hands-on I have of finished code I can say this doesn’t EXACTLY live up to the rep the last two spawned. It’s worthy to hold the name but I think this IP should be left as an SP affair.

Thanks for the post though :-)

Multi…player… batman..
ugh

This actually sounds class! I just hope there won’t be henchmen camping by Boss entry points just so they can play as them.

How do you win a match? As henchmen, is it just take out the other bad group or do you have to get rid of Bats and Robin as well?

So if this is set in the early years of Batman’s career why is Tim Drake Robin?? It’s nonsensical and insulting as a Batman fan that Dick Grayson isnt the boy wonder. Gee I Wonder (see what I did there?) if this tacked on at all hmmm.

Hexahedronaut 31 July, 2013 @ 14:20

You caved into the call of duty children NO BODY asked for this! The other games where perfect without it and now you’ve taken time money and recourses that could have been used to create a even better single player away to create a tacked on MP. God dammit.

alice_push_lara2 31 July, 2013 @ 14:21

the multiplayer is TPS?.?

Carnivius_Prime 31 July, 2013 @ 14:21

Eh it looks ok but i really didn’t enjoy the previous Arkham games much at all. They just weren’t all that fun to play.

Great, another series that tacks on unnessessary multiplayer. I prefer the old PS1 days when it was all about stories and proper fun.

the1free_man 31 July, 2013 @ 14:28

It’s funny how a single word can make me instantly less interested in a game.
When will you learn, developers/or more likely, publishers?

Another tacked on multiplayer mode that I’ll never touch. I think I’ll start selling games with crappy MP modes the moment I finish the single player part. I know they spend resources on this crap to retain players and stop copies from becoming second hand sales right away – But for me it’s working to do the opposite and I don’t usually sell my games. Now I might start doing just that to spite stupid devs/publishers who waste resources on crappy MP modes instead on the meat of the game.

This one announcement killed any interest i was going to give this game, I knew it was a cash in.

Yeah, the overall package does look like a cash in. I’ll skip it entirely and grab the 2.5D Vita game instead. It looks much better and my Vita needs new games.

Gotham City Imposters was the kind of beta test for this game’s mp afaik.
Personally I’ll wait for reviews instead of day1 buy now as no rocksteady and tacked on mp makes me very cautious of this game.
I highly doubt it will live up to the 2 previous arkham games.

@cowbanana

Unless they decide to tack multiplayer onto the Vita version too.

@MaxDiehard

Goes without saying :)

GarethUbuntu 31 July, 2013 @ 14:56

Splash Damage Returns! Yay! :)
They went quiet after Brink “failed to meet sales targets”.
With SD at the helm this is gonna be great.
The Mode itself needs to be explained better though.
You need to explain how a typical match goes as well as the win conditions.
A video explaining it might be useful.

Project2insanity 31 July, 2013 @ 14:59

I’d say give this one a chance. I wasn’t initially keen upon seeing multiplayer in this heading but if it’s done right (although would be more confident if Rocksteady was involved), it could potentially be reminiscent of MGO.

An immediate concern is the numbers. Batman and Robin against 6 seems a tad easy, especially for platinum knights. Batman alone against them would be more fitting. Otherwise raise the villains to 4 or even 5 a-side and it could be really fun.

why not CO-OP especially if you are going to ignore that this is batman’s first year and wouldn’t have a fully trained sidekick let alone the wrong one..

XnoobsquadX 31 July, 2013 @ 15:37

Looks sick if the game plays-looks like whats shown in the vid it´l be a day one buy for me. Keep up the good work!

Coody-Baroody 31 July, 2013 @ 16:21

I’m sorry but although it does seem like a VAGUELY interesting take on the Arkham series, multiplyer just should NOT be anywhere NEAR a Batman Arkham game and you just know that WB Montreal or whoever it is that’s making this are going to murder all of Rocksteady’s superb hard work by crowbarring in an unwanted multiplayer!

ThreeWallzz 31 July, 2013 @ 16:29

This was rather unexpecting….looks gr8 anyways imo,every game should have mp even rpgs

XnoobsquadX 31 July, 2013 @ 16:41

Ooh thought this was blackgate o.0 my bad. ohwell gl hf with this=/

Will Batman: Arkham Origins be available for the PS4 either launch day or early next year?

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history