Posted

Psychedelic shoot ’em up Futuridium EP Deluxe coming to PS Vita

Acclaimed retro-arcader gets a handheld release with a host of upgrades

Hi PlayStation Blog readers! I’m Mauro Fanelli, co-founder of the two person Italian indie studio MixedBag, and I’m super excited to be here today to announce that our first game, Futuridium EP, is coming to PlayStation Vita in an all new, enhanced, expanded, turbo charged edition titled Futuridium EP Deluxe.

We started working on Futuridium as a side project with the idea of paying homage to the retro classic Uridium, a 2D top-down shoot’ em up by Andrew Braybrook, one of our favourite Commodore 64 game from the ’80s, with a total reinvention aimed to mix its fast paced action and the unique feeling of flying back and forth on enormous space dreadnoughts with full 3D gameplay and a retro, flat shaded look with tons of glitchy graphic effects.

We’ve put together a first prototype of the game with the basic game mechanics in place and… it worked! And that’s not guaranteed at all in game development, so we continued to build on the formula, polish, play, rebalance, play a lot more, and, when we were presented with the opportunity to bring the game on PlayStation Vita we were like… okay, it’s a perfect match, can we please start working on it NOW?

In Futuridium you are a lone starship pilot who gets lost in a dimensional loop just before a big space battle: with a limited and constantly depleting energy bar, your only hope is to fly as fast as possible over enormous space dreadnoughts and destroy all the cyan power cubes, replenishing your energy tank and revealing the dreadnought’s power core, which must be destroyed to move on to the next ship.

You have no power-ups and limited control over your speed so you can only count on your reflexes, your dual lasers, the nimbleness of you starship and… the ability to turn 180° on the spot, an essential ability to navigate on the intricate passages on the dreadnoughts.

The gameplay is heavily score based – you can gain big multiplier destroying cubes and chain cubes together to get huge score boost. You can play it safe, but only taking big risks and learning the right path over the dreadnoughts will lead you to the top of the online leaderboards.

So what are we bringing to this new Deluxe version for PS Vita? Tons of new stuff:

• New gameplay modes
  • New levels
  • New game mechanics
  • A graphic overhaul
  • More music
  • More speed
  • More enemies
  • Trophies!
  • New ways to crash and explode in a trillion colourful cubes (did we mention the game is super difficult?)
  • Ultra silk smooth 60 frames per second action

And on the music side, we’re adding new tracks to the 45-minutes long original soundtrack, by the very talented musicians Qubit and le dégout. Here are two tracks for your ear pleasure:

Thanks for reading, we’ll share more information about Futuridium EP Deluxe in the coming weeks and we’ll be back soon with another game announcement. See you in the comment section, I’ll be glad to reply to all your questions!

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/MixedBagGames
Twitter: http://twitter.com/mixedbaggames
Blog: http://blog.mixedbag.it

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

20 Comments 9 Author replies
Show oldest first

AWESOME, Can’t wait.

Looks brilliant!

infernalmonkey1 18 February, 2014 @ 1:20 pm   3

Well this looks amazing! Australian release please? =)

Mauro Fanelli 18 February, 2014 @ 1:48 pm

Thanks everyone! Yes the game’ll be released in Australia, but we don’t have a firm release date for now.

I’ll be purchasing this….day bloody one!looks excellent, thanks for the vita support.

this looks EPIC! the trailer alone had me sold! congrats you’ve already got a day one buy 🙂

Guys, your game looks amazing, but how can I trust that the game will be good when you’re called “MixedBag”? 😛

Mauro Fanelli 18 February, 2014 @ 1:50 pm

Ahahahah, LOL! It’s not the first time we heard this, but we digged the name so… MixedBag it was! 😀

MaxDiehard 18 February, 2014 @ 1:37 pm   7

Looks awesome. Any plans on bringing it to PS4 as well?

theo_andravida 18 February, 2014 @ 1:54 pm   8

Great game!Well done guys!It is possibly day one for me.I am really looking forward to playing it!Do you know its release date and price?I hope your upcoming game is bigger and better!Platforms and shoot em upsare really good but sth like big titles would be appreciated!Thanks anyway!

Mauro Fanelli 18 February, 2014 @ 3:34 pm

I think you’ll be very pleased of our next announcement. Totally different game, and different scope. 😉

HomessaHomem 18 February, 2014 @ 2:36 pm   9

I WANT THIS!

Very interesting… Complimenti e buon lavoro! 😉

Yasir_Said 18 February, 2014 @ 3:15 pm   11

Wow, thank you for this! Looks very interesting and fun, the video made me very happy. Added to my awesome-eye list.

INS1GHTFUL 18 February, 2014 @ 3:24 pm   12

looks good. Looks like im buying this, strider and gun slugs tomorrow!

how much will it be?

INS1GHTFUL 18 February, 2014 @ 3:26 pm   13

oops i misread and thought it was out tomorrow. oh well, hope it comes out soon

Mauro Fanelli 18 February, 2014 @ 3:35 pm

We can’t tell a firm release date for now, but you won’t have to wait too much. The price’ll be very interesting. 🙂

LordRastan 18 February, 2014 @ 4:01 pm   14

hey, if the price is right, I will go for it on release day… it’s not starfox, but gives me nice memories from 80’s games (us vs them)

seldinhio 18 February, 2014 @ 4:19 pm   15

The indies are really stepping up there game lately. Thumbs up from.

sadambober 18 February, 2014 @ 4:31 pm   16

I’m sold, love the music

Mauro Fanelli 18 February, 2014 @ 5:14 pm

Thanks!
    The game will feature 15+ music tracks, for over 1 hour of music. Also you can change the music tracks in game using the dpad, like a virtual space jukebox.

theo_andravida 18 February, 2014 @ 4:39 pm   17

I hope the price is going to be on the gunslugs range and a motivation with a ps plus discount like gunslugs would be appreciated a lot!Thanks! 🙂

zalwelgoedgaan 18 February, 2014 @ 6:02 pm   18

Hi! Got some questions:

– Is it possible to get a custom soundtrack feature? I’d love to play this game with Star Fox music!
– Are the menus touchscreen? Is it incorporated in the gameplay as well?

Definitely a day 1 purchase for me whenever it comes out, I love fast paced games and I like the insta-180 move. :]

Mauro Fanelli 18 February, 2014 @ 6:22 pm

Hi zalwelgoedgaan,
    1) we’re looking into it, will be glad to implement them if possible.
    2) menus can be controlled either via touch or via joypad + buttons. No touch controls during gameplay.

Thanks for your kind words!

pressmyfoot 18 February, 2014 @ 7:41 pm   19

Now that, is beautiful.

MusashiDesu 21 February, 2014 @ 8:18 pm   20

This is top, I’m old enough to remember Uridium first hand – it’s one of my all time favourite games on the 64 along with Delta.

Hopefully there will be a chip release rather than download only.