Posted

Octodad: Dadliest Catch launching on PS4 next week

Young Horses brings you an adventure of cephalopod proportions

Hello octopus fans, I’ve got great news! Octodad: Dadliest Catch is launching on Playstation 4 next week!

For those of you unfamiliar with Octodad, he’s a normal everyday father with an adoring family, but he just so happens to be an octopus! Life for him is a neverending struggle to control his wobbly limbs and to conceal his cephalopod secret from his loved ones. In Dadliest Catch, Octodad and his family take a disastrous trip to the aquarium, putting him at odds with marine biologists, a manic sushi chef, and his wife’s ever rising suspicions…

We started Octodad as a ragtag group of students, and it’s been a long and crazy ride getting our silly game on the PS4. This is our first foray into consoles, and we’re proud to be here. We released Octodad on PC back in January, and since then we’ve taken the time to improve it based on feedback from our players. The latter third of the game in particular has gone through some radical changes, with added challenges like deck swabbing, jig dancing, and new disguises to wear!

octodad_02

The PS4 version also has support for new controller configurations like PlayStation Move, double PlayStation Moves, and our personal favorite, PlayStation Move plus Nav controller! Let’s not forget local co-op mode, where you and your friends each take control of one of Octodad’s limbs and collectively cause chaos!

Octodad:Dadliest Catch will be €13.99 and releases 23rd April.

Thanks for checking out the game, we hope you have fun!

61 Comments
0 Author replies

Finally! Been waiting for a release date for this! Although I’ll have to wait until the 25th (payday) to buy it. But besides the point, I just know I’ll be playing this quite a bit :D

1.1

You know, If you have a contract phone you don’t actually need to wait. Go to the PlayStation store via a PC and log in to your account. Click add funds and you will be presented with 4 options, Giftcard, Credit Card, Paypal and Phone. If you are with a major network Vodafone etc, you can add multiples of £5 using your number! It just gets added to your next bill. Voila No waiting!

Tempting just because of the MOVE support. Surprised that this will be the first supporting title on PS4 – lol

Finka_Karfein 18 April, 2014 @ 21:29
2.1

Um, Just Dance 2014 – yes, you can play it without Move like with the Kinect but there’s an option to play with PS Move.

Genetic_Drift 18 April, 2014 @ 15:46

Fantastic! Have really been looking forward to this. Slowly but surely the PS4 library grows :)

Is there a demo?

$12 for US, €14 for EU even though €14 is about $20. Where’s our Plus discount?

You never know, we may get it for free with PS Plus.

We tried to get the discount in for EU as well, but the scheduling of PS+ sales ended up being a different more lengthy process than we thought. We ended up having to make the decision of delaying the release a few weeks or running the sale later and releasing now.

No worries if you want to wait for a sale. Sorry for the trouble.

5.3

Disappointing about the discount. Hopefully the sale is soon. No reason EU should miss out.

hmmmmm nah. if i wanted to play entirely normal dad simulator 2014, i’d buy the sims 4

6.1

Just try and see if you can pull it off!

Seen loads of snippets about this over the last year, but still have no idea about it. Looks like fun though! :)

£ price and any ps plus discount?

£11.99

No worries if you want to wait for a sale. Sorry for the trouble.

8.2

What a pathetically weak excuse! So you’re willing to rip off any customer that doesn’t know you’re going to discount it in a few weeks. That’s criminal.

Its not really an excuse, its the brilliant people of SCEE. Wished Sony replaced these morons with capable people.

Show more replies
Hexahedronaut 18 April, 2014 @ 16:20

I’m scared to even think what the trophies are gona be like.

Hexahedronaut 18 April, 2014 @ 23:48
9.1

And off topic but what the hell happened with naughty dogs apparent stream of the new DLC 18th April 8:00 BST …..?

PS+ discount?(20%) €13.99 feels too much for this. From what I have read the game is quite short.

10.1

We’re hoping to run a similar promotion in the near future for EU as we did in the Americas. The scheduling of sales in EU is sort of lengthy and if we wanted to get the game out now we had to forego it, sadly. We really wanted to. :/

fun, messy, and VERY short… will never buy this on ps4…

Yup! 20% discount for this game in the US…. 0% discount for it in Europe. Fleece the sheep SCEE.

12.1

Do you ever give it a rest? The Dev has told you why yet you somehow think it’s a deliberate attempt to rip off the eu. Get a grip and that kind your lucky stars you don’t live in a country that operates with the Euro (like me)

TwiceOnSundays 18 April, 2014 @ 22:03
12.2

It’s pretty funny seeing Voodoo341 becoming what he cried about on CVG for years. ParaVoodoo, blog dweller.

I3loodthirsty 18 April, 2014 @ 17:18

Here is the trophy list for anyone wondering what the list will be

Interesting to get confirmation that its SCEE complicated process re sales that means we get the short end of the stick compared to the americans

It must be same reason why they get bigger discounts than us too

I’m waiting for the announcement of their battledfield and NFS sale is 50% off

Game looks fun but i can’t buy knowing we were supposed to have a sale but can’t and that it’ll come later

That’s just EA that don’t know how to lower a games price.

14.2

Just remember that SCEA covers one country. SCEE has to cover loads of regions, each with their own censorships laws and restrictions.

Just one country @MaxDiehard?
Canada and Latin America will be glad to know that they are part of the USA by now!

Feel free to read “about SCEA” http://us.playstation.com/corporate/about/

Been looking forward to this for months :), roll on next wednesday ;)

ShadowGandalf 18 April, 2014 @ 17:40

I saw TotalBiscuit play a bit of this (on PC obviously).. and it doesn’t look like the kind of thing I’d enjoy. That being said, if this were to ever go for free on PS+, (and I bet it would somewhere down the line) I’d probably try it. It’s just not one I’d jump on straight away.

16.1

The first game on PC is free. Download it and see what you can expect.

I have no idea what this game is about or how it plays. I’d go check out a video but all of a sudden, I’m enjoying the mystery.

DoYouLikeMyID 18 April, 2014 @ 20:04

“…it’s been a long and crazy ride getting our silly game on the PS4. ”

“Silly game”? Well I suppose it is a little silly to make a game about a completely normal dad, doing completely normal things… Still, I guess simulation games are pretty popular these days… :/

18.1

Since when are normal dads an octopus? The game is an absolute laugh trying to accomplish the most simple tasks.

18.2

@maxdiehard it’s a joke, his family and other people excluding the chef don’t realise he’s an octopus and that he’s a regular person.

Sorry guys not one to complain,but the kinda excuse on price and sales is just BS really,
Just put the price what you want it to be, and if its the same as other stores then weres the problem.
Imho the problem is your community seeing feeble excuses like this one.

I agree, but we don’t have that much control, unfortunately. =/ We would have had to delay the game release quite a bit to account for a launch discount. Our options weren’t very good, but we thought this way we could be transparent about it.

Loving father. Caring husband. Secret octopus. Can’t wait to get it to my PS4 in a couple of days! Been looking forward to this for a month :)

I would have grabbed this on Wednesday at the posted price, I for one don’t feel entitled to a discount for every release. But now that I know it was supposed to be discounted and that it’s gonna be discounted in a few weeks I’ll stick to my backlog and pick it up at the cheaper price.

Of course the question must be asked of Fred, why exactly does it take weeks longer to get a PS+ discount signed off in Europe compared to America? These sort of differences just make no sense and only serve to rile people up so why not fix them?

Cold-x-FuSionZz 18 April, 2014 @ 21:47

The $0.99 flash sale the US has got going on is something that would great here. We got an Easter sale but ours are games that are nowhere near that cheap. Come on SCEE.

I’ll pick it up at full price on day 1. Obviously I’d like the discount, but you guys are awesome, honest and open so I don’t really mind paying full price because you seem very trustworthy. I have been waiting for this game for so long and enjoyed the demo I played in the game store. I held out buying it on Steam so I could enjoy the PS4 version.

TwiceOnSundays 18 April, 2014 @ 22:05

It’s pretty funny seeing Voodoo341 becoming what he cried about for years on CVG. ParaVoodoo, blog dweller.

Crumptastic_86 19 April, 2014 @ 09:21

Might buy it full price in full knowledge of the impending discount just to annoy Voodoo341. He seems to get annoying at the littlest things so it’ll probably work.

Devs, the game looks like a lot of fun and the move support should make it even more so! Well done and I look forward to seeing this released.

p.s. next time don’t feed the PS Blog trolls; they complain no-one answers them and then NEVER accept the answer they are given!

25.1

Not only that but they quickly fire out personal insults on those that disagree with them. Half of the usual suspects should have been given posting bans ages ago. Hopefully we’ll get that much needed ignore button and they can all scream into the vacuum together while the rest if us get on with proper discussion.

25.2

Ironically you complain about people firing out personal insults by calling them trolls. Classic.

ah voodoo it’s not just me that thinks you are one track broken record.

Please for the love of baby jesus on this holy weekend, give it a rest.

TwiceOnSundays 19 April, 2014 @ 17:58
26.1

Over on CVG he was THE big Sony fanboy, to the point he used to report Xbox owning moderators just because he didn’t agree with them. So to see him now constantly complain here over nothing when he apparently hated that behaviour elsewhere is funny yet weird.

TeddyBearTwinkle 20 April, 2014 @ 02:06

had this game on PC take my advice dont buy it it only has about 5 levels and a boss the game is funny for about 5 minutes i completed the whole game within 20 minutes

jsut ignore Voodoo341 everyone he is just a child who has lost his bottle and wont shut up il tell you one thing if he keeps being a pain in the easter eggs sony will ban him from the blog

Definitely getting this, but I’ll wait until it’s discounted or on plus. Sorry to hear about the trouble arranging the discount, your honesty is certainly appreciated.

First we get everything a day or two late, then everything is more expensive, we get mostly rubbish free PS4 games now we’re not getting any discounts what is the point in PS Plus I’m starting to feel like they are just stealing my money now.

29.1

However still better than Xbox Gold

TeddyBearTwinkle 23 April, 2014 @ 00:26

ye waddon1 i only buy ps store games if they are worth the money :D

serhankadoglu 23 April, 2014 @ 05:12

woa :D

Many good/OK game’s come out late/not on time and what i have heard this is a very good game

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history