Posted

Gran Turismo 6 commemorates the 20th Anniversary of Ayrton Senna

Special new content available for download throughout May

Today, the global racing community honours three-time F1 champion Ayrton Senna on the 20th anniversary of his passing. Working closely with Senna’s family and their charitable foundation – Ayrton Senna’s Institute (IAS) – Polyphony Digital has created an official Ayrton Senna Tribute website and new Senna-inspired Gran Turismo 6 content available for download throughout the month of May.

To commemorate the 20th anniversary, a special “Ayrton Senna Tribute” is now available within GT.com, allowing fans to follow the life of Senna through a short film and two-part slideshow developed with the assistance and full support of IAS and the Senna family.

Lotus_97T_'85_02

The short film titled “Ayrton’s Wish” explores Senna’s dream to give the children of Brazil the opportunity to realize their own potential through education and introduces the newfound relationship between Gran Turismo and IAS. Developed in full partnership with the Senna family, Ayrton’s Wish will give you an inside look at the importance of the philosophy of IAS and explain how the non-profit organisation was established in 1994 by Senna’s sister, Viviane, after his tragic passing two decades ago.

“To the Ayrton Senna Institute and to the Senna family, it´s really gratifying to have this partnership with PlayStation, through the game Gran Turismo 6, precisely in the Year 2014, when we celebrate the 20th year legacy of our beloved Ayrton.
The game, without a doubt, is a very nice way to share his values to the new generations, as well as renew and immortalize the memory of this worldwide idol in an innovative approach. Furthermore, it contributes to an initiative that annually brings a high quality public education to 2 million children and youth in all regions of Brazil”

– Bianca Senna

At the end of this month-long journey, there will be a free update that will be released in the latter half of May with in-game racing content only available in Gran Turismo 6. Be sure to stay tuned on Gran Turismo Facebook and PlayStation Blog for more info.

19 Comments
0 Author replies

I don’t have GT6, but that is truly a touching item to read this morning, quite a fitting tribute to be immortalised for his many many fans throughout the world.

All be it a bit forced,(they announced it MONTHS ago) yes i agree!

dark_angel69 01 May, 2014 @ 09:22

I don’t have GT6 yet or maybe will just wait for GT7 depending on how I get on with the backlog. Not sure yet. But anyway just wanted to know what would be the best steering wheel for this game and DriveClub and any other future racing games? Not just for PS4 but with PS3 too. I don’t know anything about the wheels so maybe if someone could list a few great ones and the prices (in UK sterling) i would appreciate it. Thanks

2.1

@dark_angel69; not sure on how much you’re into driving games, but there’s the official steering wheel for GT by Logitech called the Driving Force GT; it’s £100.80 on Amazon (UK) or you can go giddy and get the G27 which is just over £200

dark_angel69 01 May, 2014 @ 10:16

@aidey68
Thanks for the reply. I’m not like so into driving games like it’s the only kind of game I play. I play everything really from many different kinds of games so I think £200 would be too steep. Loved GT5, Motorstorm and many old driving games from PS1 and PS2. I’m waiting on Need for Sped rivals to drop in price too. (Would a wheel work for need for speed?) I do enjoy a good racing game but wouldn’t buy one after another. But mainly for GT a wheel would be great and seeing DriveClub will be out this year, would be good to share a wheel with it too. In the driveclub post I seen people mention thrustmaster. What’s they like compared to Logitech do you know?

For DriveCLub the only wheels announced so far are the TX and T500 from Thrustmaster. The T500 is top notch, but also pricy. The TX is priced as an entry level wheel, not sure about the quality of that one.

dark_angel69 01 May, 2014 @ 11:13
3.2

What about the thrustmaster t80? Is it any good?

Sorry I meant the T80 and not TX, got them mixed up.

Show more replies

Very nice thing to do from PD to honor a legend of racing.

Great to see this content, but are we ever going to see the other promised features/content? Like the community features that were supposed to be released in January (over 3 months ago!) or the track around Zahara that would be released in February? Or any track at all (monthly track DLC was promised before release, after almost 5 months not a single one has been released).

There really should be a lot more communication coming from PD. This long line of lies and delays, combined with no communication at all is killing the GT franchise.

ninja_pants_gp 01 May, 2014 @ 12:00

Been waiting for this!

EggersTownVille 01 May, 2014 @ 18:24

Hey inquisitor thrustmaster t500 is anything but crap, dual belt driven for quiet smooth steering instead of horrible noisy plastic gears. 1080 degree rotation compared to 900 on other wheels, rock solid steel pedals. I seriously doubt you have ever used one..?

dark_angel69 01 May, 2014 @ 22:35
7.1

This one?

That’s expensive!! Hope that would work on many years of games. Would hate to pay that kind of money for future games to not work on it.

EggersTownVille 02 May, 2014 @ 06:52

Yeah it’s a premium wheel with a premium price tag to match !

I guess after many years of racing and going through various wheels (this is my 5th wheel since the ps1 days) I decided to buy the top wheel and be done with it.

Don’t get me wrong i could never recommend this product as a first wheel unless you have loads of money laying around not knowing what to do with it.

P.S I am not worried about future compatibility as all devs of serious driving games know that people own these and want to use them and they want you to buy their game :)

Raymanedney85 09 May, 2014 @ 15:03

Add my psn need some gt6 racers friends add me up plz

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history