Posted

7 ways to get rich quick in Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Expert tips on buffing your bank balance in Square Enix’s MMO

Hello, everyone! It’s been two weeks since the PS4 launch of FFXIV: A Realm Reborn by now and a lot of you have found their way into the world of Eorzea. You’ve started on your path to become a hero among heroes, and soon you discover that even the citizens of Eorzea have to make a living, and the currency they require for this is called Gil. Equipment needs to be bought and occasionally repaired, buff-food and potions are required, and teleporting is so damn comfortable, yet expensive…

FFXIVARR_PUB_39

Since I can only relate all too well with that, I thought that the best solution would be to present you with the top seven ways to make some good Gil in FFXIV. Please note that these are just rough pointers – every server is different, so you’ll still have to do some research yourselves!

1. Quests

Quests are the lifeline of every adventurer that brings his first class up in these harsh environments. A lot of quests do not only reward you Gil, but also give you the choice of choosing another item – among them often Allagan Pieces, which can be exchanged for Gil. Make sure to check if you can’t get the equipment from the quest reward cheaper on the Market Board!

2. Challenge Log

When you reach level 15, you will be able to unlock the Challenge Log by doing the quest “Rising to the Challenge”. The challenge log will give you a lot of little challenges, a lot of them coming with a monetary reward, and they reset every week. If you do all the challenges at level 50, that means 50.000 Gil extra in the bank – that’s nothing to sneeze at!

3. Crafting

Ahhh, crafting. The gift that keeps on giving. Some players just stop levelling their crafters, because it can be rather expensive, unless you farm everything needed for it yourself. But it pays off in the end. Creating low-level high-quality items will become a cinch, and other starters will prefer them to get their own craft levelled more quickly.

4. Gathering

This is a no-brainer. All you do is pick up items, and pretty much all of it you can sell or, if you have the crafting class for it, craft into possibly better-selling items. Make sure to do your research on the Market Board!

5. Converting

This often overlooked feature can net you quite a bit of cash. While you fight, craft or gather, the equipment you wear will gain Spiritbond. If it reaches 100%, you will be able to convert the equipment to Materia (after you don’t need to wear it anymore, of course). Depending on the type of Materia you get, you can achieve very good prices on the market.

6. Dungeons

Next to rewarding rare equipment (which means you don’t have to spend Gil on it), finishing a dungeon can also net you a nice sum of Gil and rare items to craft with. And when you reach level 50, you will also gain Tomestomes, which you can exchange for crafting materials that can sell very well and rather expensive!

7. Market Board

There are players who have made a fortune without ever leaving the safety of the city. They spend their time with the Market Board, observing the ebb and flow of prices, buying low and selling high. Will you be able to keep up?

FFXIVARR_PUB_40

General hints and suggestions

• Don’t throw items away. Every single item in the game has its use. Even if the prices on the market board are too low, you can still sell an item to a NPC!
  • Make the best out of your inventory space. FFXIV: ARR offers an enormous amount of inventory space, so if you think an item may sell for more later on, save it!
  • Do you really need that teleport? Can you maybe use the Chocobo Porter? Or maybe even walk? Especially in the earlier parts of the game, opting to walk can save you a whole lot of Gil!

And that’s it for now! Are you a veteran player and have suggestions of your own? Let us know in the comments!

If you always want to be informed about even the smallest of updates, make sure to also check the following resources:

Lodestone: http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FinalFantasyXIV
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN
FFXIV@ZAM: http://ffxiv.zam.com
FFXIV@Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/

30 Comments
0 Author replies

Haha – I didn’t know about the 100% spiritbond items possibility of conversion, or even that we could convert things. I’ve been selling them to vendors. Doh! Thanks for the heads up.

1.1

If you didn’t know about the item conversion to Materia, then you probably can’t do it yet. It’s actually a story mission to learn about Materia and crafting etc. You would’ve known about it already if you were at that point.

Currently making over 1m gil a week through marketboard. All that while I farmed up my animus and level other classes. Easy pie.

Barcardi1908 02 May, 2014 @ 14:52

Hi, i can’t find the Ghost Recon, Raven Strike DLC on the UK store, could you please let me know when it will be available

FantasyMeister 02 May, 2014 @ 14:54

My personal one is selling shards for Crafting as I’m a Miner/Botanist. It’s not as lucrative as what you can earn at higher levels doing other things but in the 20-30s it’s a nice little earner.

I wish we could have even bigger inventories, 100 is not enough for me.

Feels like a limitation due to the PS3 version, I can’t wait for PS3 support to be dropped to be honest, it’s holding the potential of the game back so much.

5.1

there is no hardware limitations for the inventory space, its up to the dev to decide … PS3 or dreamast can have 50.0000 items in your inventory if they want too… nothing is related to hardware about this.

SteveButler2210 05 May, 2014 @ 08:55
5.2

Once you unlock retainers, they can hold on to items for you – they can hold a VAST amount of stuff, meaning you should never have to throw away anything needlessly. The limit on carryable items is designed to make you consider what you really need to carry with you at all times at higher levels.

TBH don’t feel like I ever have to little Gil. If one just plays the game as every other mmo there will not be shortage of Gil any time soon. The game is great by the way, love it.

Another suggestion, when you get both retainers and unlock the ability to send them to ventures, make one the same class as your character and give him your old gear, make the other a gathering class, i suggest Miner to get Crystals and Ores. Crystals are quite useful if you want to craft later in the game, and by sending out your retainer you don’t have to go around and farm them by hand, unless you’re exping Miner on your character.

SetsunaF_Seiei_ 03 May, 2014 @ 01:35

I don’t understand why FF XIV is even commented on this blog as its such a let down game 0/10 game credits I wouldn’t even play this game if it was free to play or I wouldn’t even pick up this game if I saw it in a trash can now that’s saying something as reason I saw FF XIV RR in a game shop for £5 and that I saw months ago and guess what its still there even today brand new FF XIV RR for £5 and nobody will buy it as why FF XIV RR is the worst FF title game ever made so people who pay monthly now are all divs.

8.1

What made you such a party popper? No one said the game was the best thing since sliced bread. But the game is definitely a breeze of fresh air if you have only played regular console games. As of now this experience is totally unique on PSN. If one can get a PS3 FF14 game for cheap, I recommend doing the digital upgrade(Will save you much money), that’s what I did.

8.2

Holy grammar, Batman! Every heard of a comma?!

FFXIV is one of the best FF titles. FFXIV and ‘worst’ don’t belong in the same sentence.

You wanna equate Final Fantasy and ‘worst’? Look no further than XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns. Thank goodness we’ve got through that awful era.

Troll much?? :)
This is a great MMO and it’s definitely a unique experience on Playstation. It’s totally different from FFXI and that’s what makes it great. FFXI was too menu/macro heavy. You had to macro gear for every fart you let go. This is a much more fluid and intuitive game. It’s a lot of fun with friends.

Show more replies
SetsunaF_Seiei_ 03 May, 2014 @ 12:25

@seldinhio if I had only played the regular console games ( um no) I played FF XI Online on PC for 5 years im the number 1 spot on leader boards as I am Black Mage my name understand I spent way too much money on monthly and on in game weapons and gear at the end of it I feel gutted and broke I feel shameful to keep going I get no respect and I get nothing in return.

SetsunaF_Seiei_ 03 May, 2014 @ 12:41

@seldinhio you recommend doing the digital upgrade(Will save you much money) on psn that’s funny as disc content you keep wile digital downloads on psn you will not keep as what happens in 2015 psn support will be gone when that happens psn shuts offline like how ps2 online was shut off you can’t access your digital downloads or dlc on your psn account and psn plus members can’t access there games as they can’t purchase psn plus anymore since psn support will be shut down understand the facts before you purchase anything digital downloads you pay you never keep as if your account got banned you know everything you purchased will be wiped as can’t access psn account can’t access downloads.

10.1

You have a point in the digital stuff can be pulled and so on. But for the whole PSN to stop working there needs to be some kind of catastrophe of biblical proportion(don’t see that happening any time soon). If FF14 gets pulled from PSN that’s 1 of maybe 200 of my digital games, big deal. If that ever happens there needs to be some kind of compensation.

SetsunaF_Seiei_ 03 May, 2014 @ 19:42

Here’s some information that nobody else knows nobody at Sony PSN plays Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn and I mean nobody as why you expect us to play that’s just silly as you notice Sony PSN won’t pay like the rest of us to play it so why should we play it then!

SetsunaF_Seiei_ 04 May, 2014 @ 17:34

@seldinhio if you haven’t readed the new terms and conditions for sony psn updates then please do as I quote it says downloads are not in your prosession they are the legal right to sony psn there will be no compensation when psn support goes offline that’s psn goes offline psn store goes offline and all psn accounts goes offline in jan 2015 as if you didn’t know all PS3 games will be stopped there won’t be any new ps3 games being made in 2015 sony psn expect us to transfer to PS4 to play ps4 games only reason PS now was made so people can repurchase PS3 games on PS4 console your talking to a guy who knows more about money why sony psn are trying to rob us by not letting us have Backwards Game Compatibility on PS4 unless you purchase it on PS Now!!

12.1

i really hope what you are saying is not true… its like if itunes decided that we cant redownload all albums or songs we bought.. it’s impossible, a service like this, should garantee you an access for decades.

SteveButler2210 05 May, 2014 @ 09:04
12.2

I’m calling BS, unless this guy can actually pull some credentials to confirm his insider status, thus guaranteeing the validity of his statements. Until then, I refuse to accept that Sony would hire anybody to a remotely important position, who thought that “readed” was a word.

There’s no way he works for Sony, because if he did, he’d get the sack for making the posts he’s making. End of.

singularity7uk 05 May, 2014 @ 11:28
12.3

Sony, which has officially pledged to “support” the PS3 into 2015, will show few signs of discontinuing the console or its access to PSN. In this game of PR chicken with Microsoft, Sony is sure to blink last. Its global audience and continued strong PS3 sales will allow it to keep its network support running for quite a while longer than Xbox Live for the 360.

Unlike the Xbox, PlayStations have a proven track record of longevity even after their technical obsolescence.

Sony sold 28 million units of the PSone, a minimalist version of the first PlayStation that was available for four years after the PS2 debuted. Similarly, more than 50 million PS2s were sold after the PS3 came along.

Show more replies

Definitely this game in PlayStation 4 will appeal to fans of good heroic fantasy and all lovers of good stories.

“FFXIV: ARR offers an enormous amount of inventory space” – BEST “joke” EVER – I’ve almost fell off my chair reading this! The inventory & Armory space is to TINY that it’s constantly crowded if you’re leveling up / using multiply (or god forbid all) DoW / DoM / DoH / DoL classes and that includes all your retainers and even FC chest storage if you have one. Pathetic!

KING-OF-COD231 12 May, 2014 @ 05:24

If I buy ffxvi for 39.99 and the subscription runs out I basically just waisted my money till I renew?
If it’s going to be pay to play why add on a price to buy a game you can’t use.
I say it should be like DC universe where you pay for things in the game and make it more challenging if you’re not a member. That way people who paid the game’s price can still play even without a subscription

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history