Posted

What’s included in DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition? (Update)

The first of three new videos has all the details

UPDATE: Our priority for DRIVECLUB is to enable you to play and enjoy everything it has to offer and PlayStation  recognises that the prior plan for DRIVECLUB entitlement for the upgrade to the PS Plus edition was not appropriate. As a result, we have adjusted the PlayStation Plus terms for DRIVECLUB.

Now, If you intend on downloading DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition, and upgrading to the full game experience, you will have access to the full game even if your PlayStation Plus subscription runs out.

ORIGINAL POST:Last week we announced the release date for PS4’s first socially connected racing game – DRIVECLUB. The response we’ve seen to the trailer has been seriously overwhelming and it’s time for some more news.

Welcome to the first of three DRIVECLUB updates this week. DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition has been a hot topic since its announce, so today’s video (the first of three) should answer most of your questions about the actual content included in this edition compared to the Blu-ray version.

One of the recurring questions we keep seeing is about the scale of the PlayStation Plus Edition. The simple answer is that with an active PlayStation Plus subscription, you can download DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition which comes with one location (India), 11 tracks, 10 cars and access to all game modes.

But why did we choose to offer this particular selection of the game to PlayStation Plus subscribers for free?

DRIVECLUB is inherently next gen.

It’s about accessibility for all and building a community of gamers who love online play.

“DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition is designed to be a quick and easy way for gamers all over the world to join the DRIVECLUB community”

DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition is designed to be a quick and easy way for gamers all over the world to join the DRIVECLUB community. You can take part in all the game modes, set, send and compete in challenges, and race online against others in the DRIVECLUB community.

We think you’ll have a lot of fun playing DRIVECLUB and it’s available from 8th October in Europe, digitally via PlayStation Store and on Blu-ray at your local retailer. If you’re an active PlayStation Plus subscriber and have been playing the PlayStation Plus Edition, but decide you want the full DRIVECLUB experience, you can purchase a one-time upgrade for €49.99/$49.99/£42.99. This will give you access to all five locations, 55 tracks, 50 cars and all 50 tour events, as long as your PlayStation Plus subscription remains active.

If you’re not an active PlayStation Plus member, you can still get DRIVECLUB via the PlayStation Store or your local retailer on Blu-ray.

Stay tuned because there’s more content coming tomorrow with the ‘Clubs’ video, explaining why they’re crucial to making DRIVECLUB distinctly different.

Friday’s episode is all about challenges – why we love ’em, what they give you and importantly, how they’ll make the game infinitely more networked and fun to play in your Club.

Over and out.

337 Comments
13 Author replies

Pretty damning that you had to write a post on this.

Is it possible to achieve the Platinum trophy as was previously stated?

1.1

But make no mistakes, you should expect a more difficult path towards the platinum and it makes sense honestly.

Question – will the full version be 50% more expensive on EU PSN than on NA PSN, like everything else?

Wow

Chris Brown 07 May, 2014 @ 19:41

Hi Vashetti – yes, you can still achieve the Platinum trophy in the PS+ Edition.

Wait wait wait, you pay £42.99 for the upgrade to the full game, and you LOSE ACCESS to that if your Plus subscription expires?

Wow.

I am wondering the same thing. That has to be a mistake.

not only that the “upgrade” is expensive, you might as well just buy the full game on disc instead of upgrading, the full price will be around the same price anyway so you won’t be saving much.

5.3

Just don’t buy it on day one, give it a few weeks and you’ll get it probably 10-15 pounds less in amazon and stuff like that.

Show more replies

So the upgrade from plus is nearly full price? And theres only one location. Its probably still a good deal I guess, but its becoming more disapointing.

Not really a good deal since if you ever happen to cancel your subscription, you lose access to the game… Which you just paid almost the price of a full game. I think the point of PS+ is free games, not almost-full-price-games.

I hope you’ll be offering a separate, full-game for Plus in October.

I don’t think anyone here wants demos to be offered as full-games, it’ll be the start of a worrying trend. This is categorically a demo.

Chris Brown 07 May, 2014 @ 19:59
7.1

What you’ll get as part of the Instant Game Collection in October is still being decided. But DRIVECLUB PS+ Edition wont be alone.

7.2

That’s reassuring, thank you.

Stonesthrow 08 May, 2014 @ 03:02
7.3

This. It better be a one-time thing (since we get the ‘game/demo’ on release) because this completely ruins the point of getting a FULLgame instead of the Indies so far. If this “fullgame lite” idea becomes a trend in PLUS I’m seriously starting to consider not playing multiplayer at all anymore and cancelling my PLUS sub ( which was kind of forced on us in the first place for ps4). Don’t go there, Sony..

Show more replies
Tranquil-Fury 07 May, 2014 @ 19:46

I for one am glad to see that ps+ users with a ps4 will be getting access to some exclusive demos.

Or is it a trial?

because with only 1/5th of the content it’s clearly not a full game.

Chris Brown 07 May, 2014 @ 19:49
8.1

DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition is designed to be a quick and easy way for gamers all over the world to join the DRIVECLUB community. The more people that can access the game, the more challenges that will be out there which means more opportunities for you and your Club to earn FAME.

You can still take part in all the game modes, set, send and compete in challenges, and race online against others in the DRIVECLUB community with the PS+ Edition.

8.2

@Chris Brown its funny how you made an “extensive” post going all around what @Tranquil-Fury said in his last sentence ;)

rafaelmendes23 09 May, 2014 @ 12:16
8.3

@Chris Brown, if you’re trying to reach a huge number of people playing this game with this kind of promotions, I think you guys are doing it wrong.

I dont remember kaz or andrew anouncing at e3 or gamescon that we plus members get driveclub _demo_ for free

9.1

Dude its not a demo.
If it was a demo it’d be like 1 track and 1-3 cars , the game would end abruptly.

I think its actually pretty good its about 20% of the Tracks but 100% of the game.

You know what I’d have brought this game even if it was not PLUS, which is what I am going to do, and buy the retail one afterwards.

9.2

Guys it is SOOOO simple what they have done here, (if its still here)

(FULL GAME) = Retail Copy [Nothings Changed]
(FULL Digital Copy) = PSN STORE Game [Nothings Changed]
(PS+ Edition) = FREE with PLUS [Nothings Changed]

(PS+ Upgrade Edition) = Upgrade to FULL with PLUS Active only at Discount [THIS IS NEW, this is brand new]

Most people will stick and should stick to the first two, those who complain should do just that.

Sony have given you an Extra option… which in my opinion is pretty lame no offense Sony I love what you guys are doing but this isn’t that good, because its confusing and not consistence with all the rest of PLUS discount purchases.

This only suites people who would always have plus… like me… not everybody………
To be fair people who do have plus are really going to keep plus I mean really it would be a dumb to give it up… however I understand it’s not everybody’s cup of tea and that’s why I say stay clear of this version.

I think its nice of SONY to give this option ...

Show full comment

Guys it is SOOOO simple what they have done here, (if its still here)

(FULL GAME) = Retail Copy [Nothings Changed]
(FULL Digital Copy) = PSN STORE Game [Nothings Changed]
(PS+ Edition) = FREE with PLUS [Nothings Changed]

This only suites people who would always have plus… like me… not everybody………

I think its nice of SONY to give this option for those who wouldn’t mind getting it…. but the problem is the price, I know if I wait a month I’d get it for £35 – £39….

so you know what I will do despite me going to keep plus. get the RETAIL GAME.

pinkplaybunny 07 May, 2014 @ 19:47

Wow this sounds nothing more than a demo! Is there any trophies ? or not till you pay the rip off upgrade price?!

Chris Brown 07 May, 2014 @ 19:50
10.1

Yep, there are still trophies in this version.

Good idea to offer a video about this topic, after the recent confusion and debates. But “has all the details”? Surely not.

We know how many tracks and cars the Plus edition will include – but from how many in total? There is a huge difference between getting 8 cars from 30 or 8 from 200. Especially if the 8 are just the weakest and hardest to drive cars, requiring payment if you want success.
And what about the prices for the additional content / upgrades?`

Imho Sony made a mistake when it named this free basic version “Plus Edition”. People naturally have certain expectations related to Plus. If you don’t manage to satisfy those expectations, you automatically damage your product.

“all five locations, 55 tracks, 50 cars and all 50 tour events”

So, + version gets 1/5 of the full version’s content.

11.2

Ops, read the text which had the missing info. Your fault for claiming that video had it all! ;)

Chris Brown 07 May, 2014 @ 19:51
11.3

Hey Golwar, it’s all contained in the blog post above.

“If you’re an active PlayStation Plus subscriber and have been playing the PlayStation Plus Edition, but decide you want the full DRIVECLUB experience, you can purchase a one-time upgrade for €49.99/$49.99/£42.99. This will give you access to all five locations, 55 tracks, 50 cars and all 50 tour events, as long as your PlayStation Plus subscription remains active.”

Show more replies

50cars seems pretty low? Hopefully all does will be ecually detailed.+ all does 55 tracks are uniqe and not variations of each other.

Chris Brown 07 May, 2014 @ 19:53
12.1

Yup – all cars will have the same level of polish, love and attention in their design.

onlineatron 07 May, 2014 @ 19:50

guys losing the game if your sub lapses is MESSED UP

a small discount is not worth potentially losing access to a title

you’re not giving away a free instant game collection title, this is someone paying £43 on top of a monthly or yearly sub

this NEEDS TO CHANGE

it’s sketchy as heck

13.1

Sketchy is the new S in Sony… They have really screwed us over!

dark_angel69 07 May, 2014 @ 19:52

What happens when we don’t have PS+ anymore? Does it mean having to buy the game again? Or do you just mean can’t play online without PS+?

dark_angel69 07 May, 2014 @ 19:55
14.1

I forgot to add, perhaps plan to make it work with project morpheus if possible.

Chris Brown 07 May, 2014 @ 19:55
14.2

If your PS+ Subscription lapses, you won’t be able to access the PS+ Edition. But as soon as your membership becomes active again, you can start playing right away.

Basically, as long as your PS+ Subscription is active, you’ll have access to the PS+ Edition of DRIVECLUB.

dark_angel69 07 May, 2014 @ 20:03
14.3

So the one-time upgrade counts as a full PS+ edition (with all cars and tracks) rather than a full game like on disc?

Show more replies

Please can you give responses that are not just copy-pasted damage control?

This seems like a big middle finger to anybody who was interested in this version of the game.

wow, what kind of corporate mindscrewing (according to wiktionary this is not vulgar) did SCE go trough in the last 6 months? Its hard to believe how much gimped the PS+ experience is on a console which actually needs paid service for online gaming compared to older generation…

This is a PR failure of epic proportion. Gamers (and eerly buyers are mostly devoted fans) were promised Driveclub as part of PS+ where Driveclub PS+ edition was described as full game minus some tracks, not 20 % of full game with least desirable location (and we dont know the car selection yet)

To add injury to insult the upgrade to full version is priced as many full games (not to mention how boxed versions go down in price in feew months after release) and you lose the privilege to play the game once you stop your PS+ subscription. Have you lost your minds?

16.1

I say, let’s vote with our wallets, it’s simple as that! Even the ps+ edition should be a failure in number of downloads so they start to learn the lesson. They need to understand that they exist because we (Gamers) allow ’em to exist buying there games, but that can easely change.

Alphaembryo 08 May, 2014 @ 13:20
16.2

@Stepanek1
I was about to write the very same points.
They have lost their minds! This is outrageous!

There should be a demo version (this edition), and the option to upgrade to the full-game.

Give us a full-game for PS Plus in October as we expect, and not a demo.

Chris Brown 07 May, 2014 @ 20:03
17.1

You do have the option to upgrade to the full game via the PS+ Edition. Or you can grab the Blu-ray / Digital version and get all of the cars, tracks, locations right away.

But the PS+ Edition upgrade doesn’t give us a FULL version, it’s just an IGC game which you pay 50 euro.

scott_meghan 08 May, 2014 @ 00:13
17.3

I dont understand their logic at all.
the PS+ edition is free – but you can pay $50 to upgrade to a full game but its really just a limited IGC game which will be unplayable if your sub runs out

Why not just offer a PS+ discount to buy the full game?
Who in their right mind would pay for their sub plus $50 for the upgrade just to lose it if they stop subscribing

Options are either get the PS+ version and if you like it, grab the disc version
OR
Wait for reviews, lets play, videos and decide to outright buy the digital version

Elitehamster 07 May, 2014 @ 19:59

So you basically pay full price (Retail games are 50 euros in store) and you ALSO lose out on the game you put down 50 euros for if your ps plus expires?

Reducing price usually means you… reduce the price, not limit the access to what you bought.

Chris Brown 07 May, 2014 @ 20:17
18.1

We’re basically giving people options to suit your personal preference.

It seems there’s a lot of you on here that want all of the content DRIVECLUB has right away. In that case, the Blu-ray or Digital Download is your best route.

For everyone else that isn’t perhaps a massive fan of racing games in general and has an active PS+ subscription, then the PS+ Edition is for you. It’s designed to give you the chance to experience the game with all the game modes – both online and offline play – and a selection of cars and tracks for free.

If you’re an active PS+ subscriber, are having fun and want more, you have the choice of either upgrading your PS+ Edition, or buying the Blu-ray / Digital Download versions instead.

Elitehamster 07 May, 2014 @ 20:37
18.2

One option is to buy retail. The other option is to pay the same price but to lose the game when your ps plus lapses (And it is the only game you lose when you no longer have ps plus. I hope you’re not setting a precedent here)

Providing options means you provide two or more viable choices. Here, one option is a fair option (buy retail) but the other has only cons and no pros

Alphaembryo 08 May, 2014 @ 13:29
18.3

@Chris Brown
This is so bad no matter how good and full of options you try to make it look like.
I will certainly not encourage such offensive business tactics with my wallet.

Will all ps4 demos be called ‘ps+ edition’ from now on lol. Why would anyone pay £43 to upgrade, at that price its basically paying for a full game so the ps+ edition has counted for naff all. I bet ill be able to find the full retail version online for cheaper.

Ill now be skipping this as id feel robbed if i did pay for this now after the huge wait for plus edition.

Last generation they would give you 10 euro Plus discount for the overpriced digital store product.
Now they tell you they give you a game but they don’t and you loose the right to play if you upgraded digitally and stop paying for Plus. Terrible.

Shinobi-vs-Gast 07 May, 2014 @ 20:04

I thought if you buy something you get to keep it, but not with this.

This has strange written all over it.

dylanwiggan 07 May, 2014 @ 20:08

£43?!? Thats pretty much what a full game costs on amazon, that I can keep forever! Is this seriously meant to be a discount? Just make sure we get an actual game on ps+ this october please, you owe us that much…

21.1

Does this remind you of something mate?

This is how you share your games on PS4… Hands it over… Thanks…

Now this is what happens when you buy a PS4 game… PS+ Subscription dies…. PADLOCK! HAHA Oh Sony has fooled us the fans and supporters. I bet Microsoft fans are laughing at us now.

PS5 next year? Anyone up for it? Nah I think we’d skip their lies, fake games and bullsh…

Almost the complete game missing a few features…. TOTALLY THATS WHAT IT IS ISN’T IT CHRIS!!! I’m thick, dumb and not 22. This is the last I mean it Last PS I buy!

robakalunchboxUK 08 May, 2014 @ 09:26
21.2

@elder-mike you can’t be for real right? Because ONE GAME has kind of a weird structure attached to it, which mind you, you can completely avoid by just buying it retail or digital download separately you throw a fit and call Sony liars? lol You are insane. I have received nothing but fantastic service from PS+ and this one game being kind of odd doesn’t change that.

21.3

@robakalunchboxUK I run a business, say you was my customer and I told you if you bought something with us I’d give you £5,000.. You’d be like wow so I buy this product and I get £5,000. Then before that product was coming out I told you that it was delayed for a year… You’d be like oh a year to buy it and I can get my free £5,000…. Then you find out it’s just less than £1,000 however you must have 5 products with us to get the full amount and if you leave you get nothing.

Now do you understand why I’m annoyed?

Show more replies

Since you need PS+ to play online it’s seem fairly obvious that you won’t be able to play an online game online. I’m don’t know if there is any offline content but if there isn’t you can’t play the PS+ edition anyway.

Since you need PS+ to play online it’s seem fairly obvious that you won’t be able to play an online game online if your PS+ expires. I’m don’t know if there is any offline content but if there isn’t you can’t play the PS+ edition anyway.

Chris Brown 07 May, 2014 @ 20:22
23.1

Yup, there is a host of offline content for you to get stuck into. As this edition is within the Instant Game Collection, you’ll only have access to it while your PS+ subscription is active.

Almost full game price and active + subscription…
Nope nope nope…
We want real games in ps4+, not silly indie or demo-versions.

robakalunchboxUK 08 May, 2014 @ 09:27
24.1

@coolbeard they said there would be another game in that month for ps+. Sooooo this game isn’t taking away from anything.

evilwitch83 08 May, 2014 @ 11:38
24.2

robakalunchboxUK
What about the PS3 games? Will they stay the same, or will Sony reduce Europe yet again to only one PS3 game (while US still gets 3)? They already did it once when the PS4 was released, so they will probably ending up doing it again.
Just because they are not taking the PS4 game away, it doesn’t mean they are not going to reduce the monthly content yet again.

For the Players? Not if you live in Europe.

pinkplaybunny 07 May, 2014 @ 20:20

Usually if you buy something that is discounted on ps+ you don’t lose it when your sub runs out. I take it if you pay to upgrade you don’t lose the game if your sub expires in the same way. Please confirm.

Chris Brown 07 May, 2014 @ 20:24
25.1

25.2

“You’re right – you don’t loose the content, it stays on your machine. You only loose access to play it when your PS+ subscription lapses.”

REALLY!? That’s exactly what happens do games from IGC NOT with games you buy with a discount. And when he said “loose content” we all know he wasn’t saying it magically disappear from his ps4 geez are you genuinly slow or simply trying to look like one? Your trying to make peoples fool for a while, please just stop there.

25.3

Think chris might an error there.

If u pay for something u keep if and can play/access it even when plus runs out.

just the free stuff u cant use anymore.

Or did that also get changed without us knowing ?

Show more replies

Absolutely disgraceful treatment of ps plus subscribers and ps4 owners. Poor all around, can’t be bothered to make this criticism constructive. No game ever should be over £39.99. Prices are out of order for us in Europe on all games. This kind of game would have been perfect to fill the void but it will come too little too late.

How is it that in America the ps3 and ps4 versions of a game cost the same, yet here we pay on average £10 more for the Ps4 version. If games weren’t so mediocre lately maybe us Europeans wouldn’t be so disgruntled,

Chris Brown 07 May, 2014 @ 20:26
26.1

Hey CurtisUKC – the PS+ Edition is FREE if you have an active PS+ Subscription. We’re not charging you more for the FREE PS+ Edition, just giving you the option to upgrade if you’re enjoying it and want more cars, tracks, locations to play around with.

26.2

I respect that response but after people invested in the PS4 showing their support to Sony, we have received very little appreciation by way of games to play. Especially with this having a year delay despite the devs having early access to development. So the PS plus subscribers maybe deserve more than a handful of cars and tracks. By the time this game releases preferred driving sims like F1 2014 and project cars will be out anyway. Should have got this game out in the massive window it had.

I Know this is a PS4 exclusive but please answer this question, why do we pay a higher price for the ps4 version of a game, whereas in America they pay the same $60 price for the ps3 and ps4 version?

I’m in mourning, for the Plus service that is clearly transforming from an excellent service into a indie games and demo service. And I in mourning about being promised a game missing a few bits and ending up with 1/5th of a game that everyone except Sony is calling a DEMO! That is all very sad.
Because of this I will reconsider updating plus in 2015 (please Sony make me an offer to cancel Plus earlier then I have paid for) and will NOT download this demo or upgrade or support this game in any way. I’m very, very disappointed because I was going to support this exclusive title but now I’m not. Sony shouldn’t treat me as a fool!
Due to this I broadened by horizon and I have set my eyes on Project Cars. The game is looking amazing and the product feels more pure and honest.

Oh and an extra minus for translating dollars in euro 1:1, really do you think your customers are stupid?

Chris Brown 07 May, 2014 @ 20:29
27.2

Hey OttoT – You seem like an avid racing fan and appreciate your comments.

My recommendation would be to give the FREE PS+ Edition a go when it comes out in October to see what you think of DRIVECLUB. If you like it – which i’m sure you will :) – then you have the choice of upgrading or just going out and buying the Blu-ray to get all of the content in one go.

27.3

Sony lost a lot of my respect with this generation. Remember how they mocked m$ because of xobox live being paid? Remember how they used playstation network completely free online play as a flag? Well go figure, now you have to pay to play online…

Show more replies

I’m annoyed that it’s not more of the game, what was implied previously is not what we are getting. However I will vehemently make the point that 11 tracks, 10 cars and all the game modes including online is clearly not a demo either. Get a little perspective people. You are lucky to get a demo for a game at all these days. It’s more like a GT Prologue release, which is fine – it just should have been explained like that from the start.

zalwelgoedgaan 07 May, 2014 @ 20:42
28.1

We get multiple layers of paint, rainbow effect on headlights, remodeled screws, car seat fabric that you can rub in different ways and a dynamic menu. THANKS SONY I LOVE YOU.

zalwelgoedgaan 09 May, 2014 @ 13:03
28.2

P.S.

In your face DrDamn. Sony did a 180 thanks to us complaining.

This is a demo. Doom as shareware had 33% of the game available. This has 20%.

Sony or the developer can name it taste or demo or whatever but this is no version, no product, nothing.

Hopefully this is not a trend on the plus games because indies are 3 times better than this, which seems worse than a demo.

Very poor show, sony… Bad times, bad times

DriveClub isn’t the IGC game of October… It’s just an addition to the IGC…

The real part you should rage about is the “upgrade” because now it seems you can’t keep your content which was discounted on PS+

When this is true DriveClub won’t be the only game/content in the future we won’t be able to keep even if we paid for it…

29.2

When Doom came out all those years ago a full driving game generally had less than 10 cars, less than 11 tracks and no online.

dannycorker 07 May, 2014 @ 20:30

Got to say that upgrade pricing is a joke, what on earth are you thinking? Should be £29.99 max.

As for the free edition its what I expected, so no problems with that. I trust that if you play the PS Plus edition your saves will work on the bluray which everyone will get rather than paying your daft upgrade price?

Chris Brown 07 May, 2014 @ 20:32
30.1

Hey dannycorker – Your progress, unlocks and FAME will all transfer from the PS+ Edition to the blu-ray version, so you can carry on right where you left-off :)

Julzillamilitia 07 May, 2014 @ 20:31

Did you just transfer from sony music last week? Are you new at your job? Because this sounds like a scam mate.

Are you saying, if we download the PS plus version, pay almost full price to upgrade, then our plus expires, we also lose the ability to play the almost full priced game upgrade? We can’t play it at all?

I hope this game flops who ever devised this scam is sacked.

Absolutely disgusting.

We’re still pretending that the PS+ version wasn’t originally announced as, and I quote: “the same full game minus a few assets” now 20% of the full game is a generous demo, but it’s still a demo compared to what was originally described.

So here’s the big question, if I hadn’t pointed out the massive climb down last week and gotten it reported in Eurogamer and others, would the DriveClub demo have been the only Plus title in October?

zalwelgoedgaan 07 May, 2014 @ 20:34

So, to sum it up:

– Focus too much on graphics and a dynamic menu, resulting in 30fps and a delay of ELEVEN MONTHS.
– 6 people per team max. Wouldn’t surprise me if you had some sort of silly DLC that increases team sizes.
– The 50 bucks PS+ upgrade is tied to your subscription. When you lose the subscription, you lose access to everything.
– Only 50 cars, this screams ‘expensive DLC coming your way’.

This is not how you create good will with your customers, the reactions so far should be an indicator of that. Hell, even the people who usually stand by your side and defend your every move on this blog and outside forums are starting to question you.

What you need to do is:

– Retail game is 60 bucks (direct conversions should be a thing for retail games, but we’ve lost hope already)
– Digital game is 50 bucks (should be the case for all first party games if you want to increase digital sales)

Show full comment

So, to sum it up:

– Only 50 cars, this screams ‘expensive DLC coming your way’.

What you need to do is:

– PS+ upgrade –which turns it into the regular game– is 50 bucks (or a bit less) and you get to keep it forever.

First there was Gran Turismo 6 with microtransactions, then you shut down the GT5 servers after only 3 years to force people to buy GT6 for their online racing fix. Even Nintendo held their old servers online for much longer than you did. No company is perfect, certainly not Sony, but you need to get your financial priorities straight and make sure not to sour your bond with the playerbase.

Minecraft looks like the dream of a drug addict, yet it sells millions upon millions of dollars because of unique gameplay. Maybe it’s time for Sony to get more gameplay talent, rather than making pretty graphics for games that populate the second-hand shelves? Make games that are worth buying and keeping, not shallow trash like Knack.

33.1

And even pretty graphics can be questioned. Have you seen project cars? I’m with OttoT, I’m pointing towards project cars for my first racing game since GT on PS1.

33.2

We’re all fans here, many of us are avid racing game fans that bought all the Motorstorms and Gran Turismos to support Sony’s first party racing effort, it’s really disheartening to have them throw us under the bus like this after only 5 months of success with the PS4 which WE helped them achieve!

You don’t go from that PS4 share game video to this, you just don’t.

So, as PS+ subscriber:

– I download the DC PS+ Edition.
– I upgrade my PS+ Edition to have all the cars and tracks for 50€ (essentially paying separately for this game).

And after the PS+ expires, I lose access to a game for which I already paid 50€?

This is unacceptable!

Elitehamster 07 May, 2014 @ 20:39

As long as your PS+ subscription is active, you can access the free version of the PS+ Edition and the upgrade (if you’ve purchased it).”

So you lose the extra content. Whether or not it stays on your machine or is actually deleted is irrelevant, you can’t access it anymore. This is wrong at best, disingenous at worst.

This will result in a big backlash for you guys, Many people already thought and will think if they upgrade the Plus version they will get the full game even if their Plus subscription expired cuz paying $50 (requires Plus) or $60 (full ownership) for the retail game is not that different

People will be fooled cuz they almost paid the full price with no complete ownership

The solution is to reduce the upgrade price or remove that option entirely

If SCEE doesn’t stop forcing us pay more than USA with 1:1 USD-EUR price ratio, I’m getting an American account as soon as my Plus subscription ends. Hey, if SCEE, doesn’t want my money, maybe SCEA will!

37.1

And 80% of the times they get way BETTER deals, sales and even flash sales constantly (like recently).

37.2

I really am thinking about doing the same thing, just for the downloads LOL someone mentioned online that if you have two accounts on the PS4 you can get the cheaper downloads and play on your EU one.

Sony just can’t do currency conversions or they are just plain stupid.

medenko1975 08 May, 2014 @ 06:25
37.3

you haven’t already? i have 2 PS+ accounts, US and UK….both ends in 2015/2016…then i’ll decide which one to keep.

I’m sorting of getting the ps+ edition will become unavailable if your ps plus expires because this is an online focused game right? I’m I right in thinking you can’t do much with it if you don’t play online. The bit I’m struggling here with is the upgrade Price. I expected lower that that. Can you do anything with this game if your not online is the big question. Because if you can no way should you lock down access to someone who has paid 42.99 for a game if their ps plus runs out.

Guys look at the article rating, only 3 people really liked it. Goes to show them how well (NOT) there doing there job. Now imagine how many dislikes could’ve been there, that’s why they took that out when they updated the blog. US blog still shows the metter.

Alphaembryo 08 May, 2014 @ 13:57
39.1

Thing that i explicitly complained right after the blog updated. Bring back the 5star-feedback, Sony.

Members + version
“no I don’t agree”

Full retail version

Show full comment

Members + version
“no I don’t agree”

Full retail version
“Dear Chris Brown I must say that I’m rather disappointed with this news. If I might say it is not FREE as you suggest, most of people need to pay for + membership so calling it “free” is something rather improper towards those gamers. Most probably instead of demo of game they would like to get some other title that offers more content and is identical to retail version. Most all that they will get in October would be just this demo… Or will there be option to resign from getting demo and choosing something else? Another things is that the idea of upgraded version still being IGC is something absurd. One would have to pay as much money as for normal retail version but he will lose access to it if he won’t prolong his membership. So what’s the point? As you said this demo is dedicated to casual gamers that don’t know if they would like game… it is way to test it. That’s all it is. I really appreciate your work, you will have to keep repeating the same stuff that won’t please anyone. Nobody will be happy with outcome of this discussion

With best regards!”

Treating the upgrade as DLC rather than an unlock is pretty disgusting. I hope the feedback is being taken on board because for all the good will Sony earned back, stuff as anti-consumer as this should not happen.

vik26061993 07 May, 2014 @ 20:56

This “PS+ upgrade” is PR fail of MS caliber during last E3 and XBone reveal.

If Sony doesn’t bother to fix this i won’t bother to buy full game.

AlexAtkinUK 07 May, 2014 @ 20:59

While I have no objection to the idea of giving us a “free” prologue version of the game as part of PS Plus, I totally agree that saying its the full game is misleading. No matter how you look at it, 1/5 of the content is 1/5 of the content, regardless of if we have all the game modes or not. We cannot compete with people who are racing on the other 4/5 of the tracks/cars so its not the full game.

Also being able to upgrade it to the full game for £42.99 but it still being tied to Plus is disgusting if true. Then again, nobody is forcing us to do that, clearly its better value to just buy the retail version which is likely to cost little different to this if you shop around.

I plan to enjoy the Plus version and if I like it get the retail version, no way I am paying £42.99 to have a game tied to Plus even if I have no plans to get rid of the service. Perhaps if it unlocked to the full version as long as you kept plus for x months after upgrading, that would make more sense.

“When you upgrade from the PS+ Edition you get the full digital edition which doesn’t require a PS+ subscription,” Rustchynsky said.

This is what we are getting right?

Wow @ Sony and @Chris
You are up for a world of hurt with this.
This glorified “Demo” aka PS+ edition plus the absurdly steep upgrade price of nearly FULL PRICE. And as if that wasn’t bad enough YOU TAKE BUYERS THE (upgraded) GAME AWAY FOR WHICH THEY PAID NEARLY FULL PRICE when their PS+ elapses??? WOW, just wow!

This must be the single badest decision Sony took for a LONG time.
You will absolutely NOT win any sympathies or new fans with this. SO much is certain!
No matter how long and often you dance around the issues people have with this.
I am a long time Sony fan, but this is OFFENSIVE in so many ways.

Hi Chris Brown, I want to ask about the cars. I don’t really want a number of 1.000+ cars (Gran Turismo-style), because it would miss the pont, but the 50 mentioned seems quite low. Furthermore, will the cars (either the few in the PS+ edition, or the 50 in the full game) need to be unlocked in some kind of way (for example leveling-up, or completing challenges) in order to gain access to them? Will there be more cars/tracks in future DLCs, or are we getting the full package on disc? And crucially, is there a split-screen mode in order to play with a friend or two in one screen?

RedMustang72 07 May, 2014 @ 21:04

Hey Chris,

What is the difference, if any, between an upgraded Plus version and a full digital download? Also, and more importantly, can you make this crystal clear Chris…if I upgrade my Plus edition, for £43, and my sub lapses (it won’t, but…) am I then locked out of the game entirely, i.e. I can’t even play offline? This really needs clarity, because I wouldn’t, and I’m sure no gamer in his/her right mind would either, appreciate that. Would I just have paid £43, more or less a full retail price, for a game that is utterly reliant on my Plus sub?

Show full comment

Hey Chris,

As for the Plus content itself, it’s not so bad actually. Given the statement that Driveclub will not be the only PS4 game for that month, then the idea isn’t actually a bad one. It’ll give people a taste of the game, boost the community and those that want to can upgrade or purchase the game outright. I am right in presuming that earlier statement means two PS4 games for that month…right? Not just other Plus content but an actual second PS4 title?

I’d appreciate a reply on this Chris, please. :)

dark_angel69 07 May, 2014 @ 22:23
47.1

I have a feeling the full digital download will cost at least £55 as the minimum or whatever price all the other PS4 games are. So the upgrade seems cheaper. And the catch with getting cheaper is needing PS+ to run it. :S Like any PS+ game, they don’t work without PS+ so looks like that’s what will happen. Doesn’t seem worth doing the upgrade to get it cheaper unless you plan on renting it forever.

RedMustang72 08 May, 2014 @ 00:53
47.2

It’s not much cheaper than retail though, Watchdogs for instance is £46 on Amazon pre-order right now…that’s just £3 more. Digital at £55 sounds about right though, and I suppose saving £12 is worth it considering you will have Plus anyway, need it to play online and I would imagine it’s not too common for people to actually stop subscribing…lapses is a slightly different issue.

Show full comment

I think the problem still remains though, if we are paying £43 for an upgrade I would expect to retain some modicum of ownership outwith my Plus sub, not be denied offline play should my sub end/lapse/whatever. I can however see it being less of an issue than people might think, in practical terms, as few people are hardly likely to be purchasing the game in any format without a sub, given the vast social/online aspect of the game, but it just doesn’t feel right. Either the game should have been given an option for an upgrade to full digital, at the £43 price – a gesture to Plus subscribers, or, given the restrictions of the proposed upgrade, should have been priced a bit better.

It just doesn’t rest easy with me, and I’m not sure what to make of it. I can see the benefits of it…it is cheaper than a regular digital download, presumably, but at the same time I feel as if I’ve paid a retail price for a game that I’m basically renting…

I get the PS+ driveclub. I pay $50 to upgrade. My PS+ lapses, can I still play driveclub while PS+ is lapsed? Yes or no

48.1

Apparently not.

Don’t really comment here, but I agree the PS+ version upgrade is a bit pointless when it’s still tied to the PS+ sub and when you can just as well get the disc edition or full download version for probably practically the same price if you wait a little.

Still, the negativity here is a bit exaggerated. Especially since apparently the DriveClub PS+ Edition won’t count as the PS4 PS+ game of the month of October.

So I don’t think there’s anything to complain since there could just as well be not PS+ edition at all. Lots of games don’t even have demos these days (or paid demos *MGS V Ground Zeroes looking at you*) so I’m kind of happy I will be able to try the game beforehand with this extensive demo since I was always going to get the disc version anyway.

But you guys should definitely untie the PS+ Edition Upgrade or just scrap the whole upgrade.

I think people have complained because of what Evolution promised earlier:

“When you upgrade from the PS+ Edition you get the full digital edition which doesn’t require a PS+ subscription,” Rustchynsky said, but explained that “you can earn the Platinum trophy in the PS+ Edition, remember it’s the full game minus a few cars/tracks.”

^ From the link posted by Moosichu (#42)

49.2

@JeanQ

Fair enough, definitely some very messed up PR/communication in that case.

I still stand by my opinion that it’s good to see such an extensive demo in addition to a PS4 PS+ game for the month of October. It’s not like PS+ has ever been bad value anyway. :P

I agree with you. If the demo/ps+ version/etc doesn’t take a place from a full game it’s just a bonus for us gamers.

Show more replies
peephole303 07 May, 2014 @ 21:10

Ive come over from the American blog because your repersentitive has gone into hiding.

I WILL not buy driveclub or any future Evolve games if you continue with this horrible pricing idea.

Honestly what are you guys thinking? I pay money from my subscription and if i pay money for a game I BETTER KEEP THAT GAME.

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.