Posted

This week at PlayStation

New DRIVECLUB videos, game reveals, Store charts, Hohokum, more

Phew, that was a rollercoaster of a week ;) Lots and lots to catch up on if you’ve been napping. First and foremost, DRIVECLUB – we firmed up details of the PS Plus Edition, showed off how clubs will work, and went into details on Challenges and Face-offs. And if all that wasn’t enough, check out a pair of new gameplay videos here and here.

Elsewhere, we took the wraps off R-Type Dimensions and VizionEck, welcomed Sportsfriends onto PlayStation Store, ran down the charts for April, and debuted a delightful new Hohokum video. See below for selected highlights, and do enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Top 5 most read PlayStation Blog posts this week:

1. What’s included in DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition?
  2. New on PlayStation Store: Bound by Flame, Titan Attacks, Sportsfriends, more!
  3. God of War Collection arrives on PS Vita this week
  4. The Last of Us update 1.07 detailed in full
  5. Tales from the Borderlands: First screenshots revealed

Top 3 most viewed videos on our YouTube channel:

Top 3 most RTed @PlayStationEU Tweets this week:

Most ‘liked’ image on Instagram:

119 Comments
9 Author replies

Hi Fred, is it true that there is a time limit after which our Plus games get removed from our download list?

supersmith2500 11 May, 2014 @ 11:46
1.1

Actually, can you access your Plus content as long as your Plus subscription is in tact. If it runs out, you cannot access it unless you subscribe again. That is only IGC games.

Alphaembryo 11 May, 2014 @ 12:52
1.2

@supersmith2500
That is not what he is asking about.

SGTSTEELFACE 11 May, 2014 @ 12:57
1.3

This was brought up before with Sleeping Dogs maybe about 4 months ago. I dont know of any other games which have disappeared maybe compile a list?

Show more replies

“Lots and lots to catch up on if you’ve been napping.”

So… it seems we do agree on one thing at least. How about replying to some of our questions? I mean about prices? About what you are supposed to do… or how to treat customers? Or how to respond to your customers… Or how to make sales?

zalwelgoedgaan 11 May, 2014 @ 11:19
2.1

Oh SNAP

4 weeks to go until E3 :P :P :P (that is all i need to type) :D

Hexahedronaut 11 May, 2014 @ 11:20
3.1

So yeah E3 soon what you looking forward to? For me it’s

1. More gameplay/details on Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break
2. Fallout 4 and Mass Effect 4 being confirmed/release date/gameplay
3. Halo 2 Anniversary being confirmed/release date/gameplay
4. Lionhead’s unannounced game and more details/gameplay on Fable Legends
5. More info on Leap Experience Pioneers rumoured TPS/RPG
6. More gameplay on Dragon Age 3 and Mirrors Edge 2

(1,3,4 and 5 are XO exclusive)

I’ll be skipping Sonys E3 but I hope for you PS4 users they have a great E3 :3

3.2

@Hexahedronaut

1. Deep Down
2. New Wipeout
3. The Last Guardian
4. GT 7 Prologue for PS 4
5. I hope for something new from Square-Enix and CD Projekt RED (I would be happy with something new about Cyberpunk 2077)

What’s more… dunno… after all we shall see what they will decide to show on E3… but I don’t think that it will be in any way groundbreaking…

Sunset Overdrive looks great.

to be honest i hope this E3 is not only about games that will only be released in 2015, this past months for were really bad for ps4 users, i allmost dont turn on mine, i still play more ps3

Show more replies

This week on Playstation:

– huge uproar in EU, because people notice prices are even more than 50% bigger than in EU
– Bound by Flame having a ridiculously higher price in EU, people wait for reviews instead, a mix of average reviews, saved money by not buying it on PSN!
– no response on pricing on EU, uproar continues

Bigger than in US/NA I mean. WTB > Edit.

jimbob12345678 11 May, 2014 @ 11:45
4.2

Ill admit I’m not too bothered on EU game pricing personally but this made me chuckle all the same :)

jimbob12345678 11 May, 2014 @ 11:48
4.3

Hi Fred could I get a reply to my post on the most recent store update either on here or there. Its post 84 for reference, and if I’m understanding right then this is a link to it.

Stathmos touched on the subject briefly on comment 1 of this page.

Show more replies

E3 Sony conference has been set. June 10th at 2am BST. 3am for mainland Europe.

Sleep is for the weak.

Porcupeth00 11 May, 2014 @ 11:44

Please pass it on to Ready at Dawn that we’d like to see a sneak peek at footage of The Order 1886 before the blowout at E3. Just a little bit, pretty please?

jimbob12345678 11 May, 2014 @ 11:50

Stathmos touched on the subject briefly on comment 1 of this page.

(Also potential bug? I replied to a comment above and then tried to make this post after and it posted as a reply as well… strange :P)

Fred Dutton 12 May, 2014 @ 09:30
7.1

As stated above – Plus games are available to download as long as you’re subscribed. I’ll investigate your particular instance now.

sadly no one cares about the complains, i ‘m seriously starting to think in going back to xbox, i used to have xbox360, i bought the ps4 because i think it would have great games right from the start, but that was not the true, and thats one thing i’m starting to realize about sony.

There are rumors that games with gold (IGC for xbox) will start to have 2 games per month for Xbox1 (1 AAA and one indie) they will be added to games with gold every 15 days (2 per month).

If this appens to be true, welcome back xbox.

I dont want to be penalized just because i’m from europe, i deserve to pay the same that the US pays, i deserve to have the same sales the US have.

I tough the slogan of ps4 is “to the players” not to the US players

I’m starting to be really disapointed with the service, hope that something changes fast

@ Porcupeth00

my dear “friend” both consoles are great, is not because i own 1 that the other is “cr*p”. I dont apreciate at all your infantile reply, i know that you dont mind about princing because mommy and daddy pay for all your games, but sadly, i have to work to buy mine, so when i see a sale in the US and i dont see anything close in the EU i start to think.. did i choose right?? probably you work for sony and you are very ofended if someone thinks in other system that is not the all powerfull playstation.. but my little friend, the world is getting expensive at everyday, so if i fell i have the right to complain about princing, about EU vs US diferences… I will :) ohh and thanks for the support… big companies love fanboys

Hexahedronaut 11 May, 2014 @ 12:34
8.2

*Flame Shield Activate* Your probably gona get a lot of negative reply’s, a lot of reply’s saying it’s only been a few months etc etc but I made the switch back to xbox last month I can’t stand SCEE I can’t stand this blog team and nothings changed in the last couple of years and nothings going to change. SCEE are an extremely anti consumer company but that’s my opinion. And so far I haven’t regretted making the switch back. They’re E3 if true sounds amazing, they’re exclusives looks ridiculously good and The fact they put someone who’s passionate about games in charge I think us XO owners have a really good future ( and titanfall is extremely fun) I don’t see anything changing with SCEE, they’re attitude is terrible and they have the worst submission process in the industry.

Porcupeth00 11 May, 2014 @ 12:42
8.3

Then play your Crapbox and leave the blog alone.

Show more replies

@ Porcupeth00

mas tu tens problemas??? trabalhas para a sony é??? fanboy é raça malvada, deves estar contente por pagar mais, ah espera é o paizinho e a mama que pagam…..

Porcupeth00 11 May, 2014 @ 12:35
9.1

se queres preços americanos então é facil, compra na store americana. não custa nada. e é bem capaz de ter mais efeito e mandar uma mensagem mais forte à SCEE do que estar aqui a queixar quando a unica pessoa a ler é um community manager que não tem qualquer influência sobre isso

9.2

That wasn’t nice… I don’t think that he is working for Sony….

… and let’s leave his parents alone mkay? It it is immature way to act.

I don’t like the way SCEE is working right now, I’m often annoyed just like you… but I do agree with him that writing here about Xbox isn’t the best idea. I mean what for? It is like going to puma shop just to say that nike is better… So how about taking a deep breath, no need to fight each other right?

Cheers!

9.3

@Porcupeth00

Oy oy let’s all calm down! What would happen if all of us decide to use our own languages… chaos! It is english forum so let’s use english language, mkay?

Buying from american store is no solution, it is like taking painkiller insteaf of remedy. It is always better to buy games from EU… we must bring their attention but we can’t destroy our own market, that’s not the way.

Show more replies

Oh right, I totally forgot about the thing where the US had the truly awesome Flash sale, while in EU someone made a joke with EA “sale,” where two titles for PS4 were still more expensive than retail.

When is the EU’s Flash sale for PS4 and PS3?

10.1

Huh… I snapped after 1 dollar sale + Golden Week + Flash Sale combo :/

Flash sale… huh… frankly speaking I’d rather have golden week sale… but it’s too late for that I guess…

Persona 4G for 10 Euro for +members we had to pay 20 euro in our sale

But like many people already said… it’s not like the prices were fair earlier… those were always bad, but after hearing more and more news about sales in USA people started getting a lil angry

1. The yearly vita IGC still not updated despite being told by Fred it would be before end of 2013
2. One monthly update of plus a year has been removed from the EU service despite being told the introduction of ps4 to the service would not affect the services current output
3. One ps3 game less a month, again despite being told the introduction of the ps4 to the service would not affect the number of ps3 titles offered
4. Outshined, as normal by their is counterparts with regards to pricing, releases, sales, and customer interaction
5. Announced ps plus demos starting with drive club to replace games

Get your act in order sony

Alphaembryo 11 May, 2014 @ 13:51
11.1

@Fred, the generically festive tone in every thread doesnt work when we have been having all those issues with no appropriate attendance from SCEE.

11.2

They’ve already confirmed we are getting a separate, full-game on Plus in October. DriveClub won’t be alone.

evilwitch83 11 May, 2014 @ 18:52
11.3

Vashetti, they might still end up taking another PS3 game away, leaving Europe with only 1 PS3 game. They’ ve already done it once, so they may end up doing it again for Driveclub. All they said is that the other PS4 game is still included.

Show more replies
bubble_boy01 11 May, 2014 @ 14:41

RE: everyone complaining about regional pricing

Yep it’s crap and allows for people in certain regions to be ripped off, and it’s particularly bad in Australia. It’s been this way for a long, long time so I’m a bit surprised people are just starting to complain now (although you’ve got to start a some time I guess). However I can’t tell whether people think it’s just a PSN store issue or if you have a playstation and your outlet is therefore a playstation blog.

Firstly, it’s not an issue just with the PSN store. Steam do it (e.g. Dark Souls II pre-order USD $50 vs AUD $70) and to everyone complaining the grass is greener on the other side, Microsoft definitely do it (e.g. COD: ghosts US $60 vs AUD $91, Trials Fusion US $20 vs AUD $27).

Show full comment

RE: everyone complaining about regional pricing

In fact virtually every online retailer does it, except for GOG.com. They almost did it, here (http://www.gog.com/news/letter_from_the_md_about_regional_pricing) you can find a letter from their Managing Director before they flipped back where there is clear pressure from publishers/developers to adopt regional pricing. Fortunately they listened to their customers and changed back. If this is such a big issue for you and your a part time PC gamer I suggest you reward their backbone.

Secondly can everyone stop comparing prices that are pre and post tax, it makes you seem ill-informed and hurts your fundamentally correct point. US prices don’t include VAT so comparing price with no tax to a price with 15% VAT is unfair. You’ll still end up with a price difference that proves your point if you take out VAT, you just look like you have no idea about actual pricing if you do a straight comparison.

So yes you’ve got a very good point about regional pricing. Just note that it’s not just a PSN store issue and not as easy as a straight comparison. And given the complexity of the issue (different publishers and contracts for different regions, multiple VATS for a region, making sure not to charge less than brick and mortar stores which will differ from region to region) I wouldn’t hold your breath for a response from the blog staff

12.1

1. I do not agree with argument “everyone is doing it so it can’t be wrong”. We don’t have any reason to complain about steam here, right? But it is yet again weird decision to compare Steam and PSN. You have plenty of cheaper and more rational alternatives for Steam whereas there is NON for PSN.

2. Most of people started complaining now because of recent US Sales. It all started with “we want sale” and then people found more and more things they are not happy with… and it doesn’t help that SCEE decided to hide their heads underground.

3. No not every shop, like I said before there are alternatives for steam selling DRM-free or steam keys for more rational prices.

Show full comment

4. Yes and that proves that GoG (Good old Games) is example of how one should act. They made big mistake but after listening to cusomers they decided to think about what they are doing and what they are supposed to do once again. They said “sorry, it is our fault… we wanted to go with the flow, it was bad idea. Maybe we will have harder time to get new games but we will work hard for you”. And on this blog…. they act like we do not exist.

5. USA don’t include VAT because they don’t have VAT simple as that. And for the other forms of taxes… well sure… but which one should we compare? For EU it is simple thing it is about 20% (in some more, in some less)…

but ok… why not
Bound By Flame -> 49.99$ > 36 EUR -> 38.8 EUR (with 8% Tax)
Bound by Flame EU -> X -> 36 EUR -> 43 EUR (with 20% VAT) -> we have to pay 55 EUR (27% more… about 75$ -> oh and the price in $ is supposed to be 79$)

bubble_boy01 12 May, 2014 @ 11:42
12.2

@Archacus

1. Not sure my argument is “everyone is doing it so it can’t be wrong”, thought my 1ˢᵗ line gave that away. My point was that regional pricing is a broader issue rather than limited to the PSN (many people have been stating it’s better over at Microsoft, which it isn’t). Just for my own buying interest I’d love to here about the plentiful, cheaper and more rational alternatives for Steam if you’d be willing to name them. And yes there’s obviously no online alternative to PSN (a well known fact before you bought a playstation). You can buy physical copies of games, though this is not really competition (as discussed in the letter I linked this is one of the issues with regional pricing)

Show full comment

@Archacus

2. Based on your posts I know that you’ve been upset at the latest US sales but I think they have always had much better sales, to say it’s worse now is your own experience. Personally I think that SCEE have done a decent job when it comes to sales. In the past 8 months I’ve got Killzone Mercenary, The Walking Dead, Spelunky, Hotline Miami, Gucamelee, Stealth Inc., OlliOlli, SteamWorld Dig, Metal Gear Solid PW and HD collection at least 50% off, and often better than that. I know the grass is greener but we do ok with sales

3. Would love a list

bubble_boy01 12 May, 2014 @ 11:43
12.3

4. Comparing GOG to Sony is like apples to oranges. Not only do Sony have to sell what publishers give them, they also have to make their platform look more attractive and try to step on the least number of toes they can. With GOG it’s just another potential distribution point, it doesn’t affect whether the game gets made or if they will make games for PC in the future. Should they stand up for a rights more? Probably yes. But i’d guarantee if they took a stand that made it harder for them to get new games people would complain about it an instant and we’d be right back in this situation. And I thought this blog was meant to discuss the topics presented mainly amongst ourselves, with some interaction with the blog staff/presenting bloggers, rather than just customer service. If you have a complaint about actual customer service then drop them a line instead, I think it’s inappropriate to expect Fred and team to respond to every question (although a bit more a response would be great...

Show full comment

4. Comparing GOG to Sony is like apples to oranges. Not only do Sony have to sell what publishers give them, they also have to make their platform look more attractive and try to step on the least number of toes they can. With GOG it’s just another potential distribution point, it doesn’t affect whether the game gets made or if they will make games for PC in the future. Should they stand up for a rights more? Probably yes. But i’d guarantee if they took a stand that made it harder for them to get new games people would complain about it an instant and we’d be right back in this situation. And I thought this blog was meant to discuss the topics presented mainly amongst ourselves, with some interaction with the blog staff/presenting bloggers, rather than just customer service. If you have a complaint about actual customer service then drop them a line instead, I think it’s inappropriate to expect Fred and team to respond to every question (although a bit more a response would be great)

5. US don’t have a national VAT but they do have state sales taxes, which is basically the same thing. And yep your maths looks good and it’s about 26.2% more in Europe than the US. It’s bad but a far cry from the >50% and even 150% that people keep saying. Unfortunately living in Aus if something is only 26% more expensive than the US cost it’s usually a win

Show more replies
TheAwsomeGamer76 11 May, 2014 @ 15:07

I knew Drive Club was gonna be first!

It hasn’t been busy enough… PSN store prices are still higher than US store prices and we still have no preorder content for upcoming PS4 games unlike US store… I’d like to preorder Watch Dogs before release. Why are EU users always treated like this? #4theplayers? tell me when.

Probably because they can.
They are selling enough copies for higher prices and without incentives because people keep forking down euro’s and pound. If people would grow a back bone they would be forced to change their pricing.
I stopped per-ordering or buying game at launch years ago (few exceptions to support developers) and it saves a ton of money by doing absolutely nothing.

Fred Dutton 12 May, 2014 @ 09:38
14.2

PS4 digital pre-orders will be commencing this month on select titles. Look for more details in the weekly Store posts.

As for everyone’s feedback about Store pricing: I’m not going to fob you all off with vague platitudes and empty promises. Regional pricing is a hugely complex business area and I can’t pledge that there will be immediate changes. However, I can pledge to make sure your feelings are heard by the relevant people (truth: they’re already listening), and I will also try to get some transparent explanation as to exactly how pricing and currency conversion works.

14.3

@Fred Dutton
Ok thank you for your reply.

I’m very happy with the idea of writing explanation. But please do note that most of gamers are mature people, some of us even ended business, law or marketing faculties… so please do not try to simplify things ok? We would like to know every little detail we can… we want to understand. So when you or somebody else will be explaining all that “difficult” things please remember that you don’t have to treat us like children.

Also it would be good idea of creating FAQ and giving all important answers there. Why? because year or two will pass and once again people will start asking the same questions. Well… I’m gonna wait for explanation and than I will decide if I believe or not.

“Res, non verba”

Show more replies

Eh, whatever, I give up. Not only there’s no reply from anyone from the Playstation team, but the whole moderation thing is now missing.

blackout_pt 11 May, 2014 @ 18:10

Why do you guys still bother to comment on this type of post. Last week had 76 comments and 0 from support.
Also SCEE bosses have already shown us that:
a) they don’t care about costumers;
b) the blog staff is not allowed to comment on any serious questions that involves a critic to SCEE;
c) you only get proper answers when you SCEE, a game or a service, otherwise you get answer 54: “I’m not at liberty to comment on that”.

And to all the haters of Xbox supporters (and I literally hate M$): if a company is providing a better service and a better support, why not praise it? A few years ago it was Sony, now it is not…

Porcupeth00 11 May, 2014 @ 19:08
16.1

Because it’s not providing a better service and better support. Therefore there is no reason to praise them.

16.2

this guy really hates xbox, dude…

Porcupeth00 12 May, 2014 @ 15:18
16.3

no, i am merely stating a fact. and nobody is countering it with facts because there are no facts to counter. what i said is true.

Also this week, MLB The Show 14 Digital Download was delayed at the last minute in the EU (out in US) and a new release date was to be given ASAP, the delay in the US lasted 14 hours or so, any news on an EU release date if there even will be one?

Fred Dutton 12 May, 2014 @ 09:39
17.1

I’m chasing a new date now, and will hopefully be able to update later today.

17.2

Thanks, Much appreciated

scott_meghan 13 May, 2014 @ 00:03
17.3

And a price at the very least? I prefer to buy it on our own store, but I made a US account yesterday and its $59.99 USD there, which is about $65 AUD. if it doesn’t hit close to this mark I will more than likely grab it on their store.

@Porcupeth00

I’ve enjoyed many of your posts and replys today along with a few others. I think Fred should give you a job as hes clearly went back to ‘napping’

Fred Dutton 12 May, 2014 @ 09:42
18.1

Folks, I do indeed spend much of my Sunday napping! I always do my best to answer comments first thing on a Monday – so please look for responses then. Last week I was out of the office, hence the lack of of replies – my apologies. If you have something urgent you want to raise, you can also reach me via Twitter @FredDutton.

blackout_pt 12 May, 2014 @ 12:57
18.2

@Fred, next time you’re out the office and can’t reply to our comments, can you please give us some info about it? Maybe on Twitter?
Thanks

Hi fred got question is there going to be any more ps1,ps2 classics coming to psn store and is there any chance anymore RPG PS1,PS2 classics coming on store or is there not going to be anymore game classics on store anymore.

Anyways have great week.

Fred Dutton 12 May, 2014 @ 09:43
19.1

It’s up to games’ individual publishers as to whether they see a release, and I can’t make promises on third parties’ behalf, but in theory, yes, there may well be more classics releasing on Store in the future.

Hi fred got question

is there going to be anymore RPG Ps1 and Ps2 classics coming to store or other classics or have we seen end of the playstation classics on store.

have a great week fred thx.

CrypticICE_89 12 May, 2014 @ 00:47

US gets everything because sony is in competition with Micro and they want brownie points with the US consumer. But Sony is also losing money so what better way than to turn a huge profit ‘Rip Off the UK & EU’. Now i know Sony are’nt the only ones but still, Game prices are absolutely ridiculous.

21.1

You can’t honestly believe this. Sony Eu twirling their mustaches watching extra money rolling in.

If you look about the US pays between 0% and 8% sales tax. UK pays 17.5% Vat. If anything it is the UK government who are twirling their mustaches.

fps_d0minat0r 12 May, 2014 @ 11:17
21.2

@ Lucreto
Its not to do with tax otherwise that would mean sony is making a loss on every UK and EU customer who is using a US PSN account to pay US prices.
I’m sure tax is paid (or is supposed to) according to where the customer lives, not which type of account they have.

Greenmanboy 12 May, 2014 @ 01:55

Can you look into why “fort defense: North Menace: is only a demo on psvita, it is charging full price for a 3 level demo, Chris said he would follow it up, however nothing has been done about it. Thanks

Fred Dutton 12 May, 2014 @ 09:55
22.1

There was an error with the product when it first released. This has now been adressed, however if you purchased it before the fix I’m afraid you’ll need to contact Customer Service for a refund and then repurchase the title.

Still no answer about playstation home hold em poker.7 wks now grest customer service not

Fred Dutton 12 May, 2014 @ 10:24
23.1

I’ve asked the Home team to look into this now. update soon, hopefully.

madmanwithabox12 12 May, 2014 @ 10:04

Just as a point of interest. Is the Vita store ever going to be cleaned up? It’s a bit of a mess right now. Here’s a few of the problems with it:

1. Not every game is listed under “All Vita Games” – some examples include The Amazing Spider-Man, Hotline Miami and LEGO Legends of Chima. Kind of sucks for new buyers who wouldn’t know that said games are on the system. You can find them by searching, but that’s not really ideal is it?

2. Some non-games (apps, DLC etc) show up under “All Vita Games” examples include the Killzone art book and an Invizimals add-on.

3. Sly Cooper 4 is listed twice in a row (under “All Vita Games”) – one is to buy, the other is free. I don’t know if this is because I got the PS3 version and got that lovely cross-buy or what. But there are two of them, one after the other and they’re both the full game.

Thanks.

Show full comment

Thanks.
Also as a side-note – Konami announced they were bringing Silent Hill Origins and Shattered Memories PSP classics over and that they were Vita compatible. They arrived a couple of weeks ago and they only work on PSP. What’s the deal with that?

24.1

Frankly speaking I think that every shop page should be once again redone.

For PS3 we had nice working page destroyed by that “metro alike” thingy (one or two years ago). That was bad bad bad decision. You won’t upgrade Sony page by copying Microsoft… who gave you that idea?!

Vita shop page is joke… I never bother to buy anything via vita.. it is worst of all. As you said vanishing games, tiles, all that magic tricks to see what is under blank icon…. it is bad.

SEN on PC is also far from being perfect… there should be tags for PS One, PS2, PSP games… but even if PC version isn’t good… it is best of all choice.

Hell-Raiser-85 12 May, 2014 @ 10:23

Any news on Soul Sacrifice Delta price, PS+ discount etc?

Fred Dutton 12 May, 2014 @ 10:45
25.1

Soon! We should have details for you tomorrow.

@Fred, most people don’t really care about why the prices are higher. Europeans just don’t want to feel worse than US players, and want the same prices as them, same sales, though better PS+ games like them, just like it was some time ago. Yeah, ok, I’d live without the last one, but the price equality would be nice.

@Fred

Props for your response about the pricing situation, however your answer above is a little disingenuous. I’m not saying that you’re giving out misinformation, rather than you have been given misinformation.

You say that regional pricing is complex and I’m sure it is. But what isn’t complex is that SCEA said that all first party PS4 games would carry the price tag $60 from last gen, both retail and digital, as such all third parties and even MS were forced to match. Had SCEE have emulated that price policy and kept the £40 price point then this new price discrepancy (the markup on Bound By Flame for example is almost 55% for the digital PS4 version) wouldn’t exist.

Anyway, I look forward to the post that details the pricing policy, please ensure that whoever is making the post is available for questions afterwards as I reckon there’ll be a lot.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history