Posted

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment coming to PS Vita this July

Digital release will also include Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment HD

We’re incredibly excited to announce that Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment will be coming to Europe, Australia and New Zealand this July! This title will be released exclusively on PlayStation Vita as a digital title.

After the latest announcement of Tales of Hearts R, we are quite proud to keep on releasing titles for PS Vita!

sao_eng_battle_03

In Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment, players enter the world of SAO, a massively multiplayer online game to discover that the creator of the game has locked them inside without the possibility to log out. They also find out something terrible: dying in the game means dying in real life! To escape, the players must explore and defeat the enemies contained within in order to find a way out…alive.

Based on the very popular Sword Art Online universe, the story follows Kirito as he fights to survive in the dangerous VR world he’s stuck in. Encounter many beloved characters from the light novel, manga and anime, as well as new ones exclusive to the game, as you explore the different areas and battle the most ferocious bosses.

sao_eng_battle_04

The game is designed to simulate an MMORPG just like the one in the anime, allowing you to team up with other players to go on raids and do quests together! You’ll even be able to play ad-hoc with up to three other people. Master the combo system to pull off amazing attacks, build relationships with the characters you meet, and do your best to survive!

We’re also including an HD version of Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment, a game unreleased outside of Japan, to offer the ultimate Sword Art Online experience on Vita! I’m excited to see who will be the first one to finish the game with all the endings and side quests done.

Follow us on http://www.facebook.com/namcobandaigames.europe to stay up to date on the latest info!

sao_eng_chrmake_01

99 Comments
8 Author replies

Thanks for bringing this to EU as well! Will for sure pick it up day one, even thought I ordered the english asian version of it.

Isshak Ferdjani 14 May, 2014 @ 15:20
1.1

Thanks Tenechan! (love the avatar :3 )

Great! I’ve been keeping an eye on the game since since it was announced for Japan. Really glad it’s being localized

Isshak Ferdjani 14 May, 2014 @ 15:20
2.1

Please be excited.

thekiddfran 14 May, 2014 @ 10:11

Awesome news. Will this get a physcial release or a collectors edition?

3.1

solo digitale…

zero_berserker 14 May, 2014 @ 10:12

Great to know it’s coming to EU! As it is digital only it won’t be a priority buy from me, but I will surely get it sometime down the line.

Ok and what about retail physical release?

If there won’t be you can forget about one person.

5.1

Also: to any other european gamer

Let’s begin action : Stop discrimination of European Market – If you see that publisher do not want to release game in physical version (and he did in USA) do not buy, do not support or tolerate discrimination. We need to teach them to treat us like they should from the very beginning.

RedSquirrel87 14 May, 2014 @ 10:16
5.2

It will be only digital both for EU and NA.

5.3

If you insist of having it as physical there is two versions you can get, Japanes ( Japanese only ) and Chinese (Chinese & English subtitles )

Other then that both EU and US release is digital only.

Show more replies

I planned to get an Asian import, but this is awesome! And thanks for bundling it with Infinity Moment!

PlatinumSpectre 14 May, 2014 @ 10:17

Confirmed for release right after I order a 32GB Memory Card! GLORIOUS!

Physical release?
If not, there is always the Asian version, it has English translation and there is a Collectors Edition of it!

The same can’t be said for Soul Sacrifice >_> …

Already bought an import version of the game. But will gladly double dip to get EU version aswell! Thanks for all the JRPG love you guys are sending our way! Much appreciated! <3 Bandai Namco

Isshak Ferdjani 14 May, 2014 @ 15:20
9.1

Thank you for double dipping!

jaspertandy 14 May, 2014 @ 10:22

Oh wow I didn’t know this was coming to Europe. Day one for me.

Isshak Ferdjani 14 May, 2014 @ 15:21
10.1

Yay! Let’s all have a big virtual party on launch day :)

smile_taisou 14 May, 2014 @ 10:23

Well I’m importing a Taiwanese physical copy, since it comes with English subs anyway. I’m really sick of all these digital only releases. I have a 64GB card, and it’s almost full.

zero_berserker 14 May, 2014 @ 10:33
11.1

Hollow Fragment already got a significant amount of DLC announced (good DLC by the way, expanding the story and such) announced. If you don’t want to go though the hassle of switching accs on the vita you might want to reconsider that. Or you just prtend the DLC doesn’t exist. I wouldn’t want to:

Yes I was waiting for this game to come to the eu!

My wallet is crying thanks to Namco :O

It’s like games are raining down from the sky…

Oh, and I just hope you guys won’t convert price 1:1 $ to € …. please, please make an effort to make it fair for both markets, Europeans are always paying more for games and no one want’s to be the first to make it fair =x. Sadly only a handful of Publishers care, I hope Namco can become one of them.

Isshak Ferdjani 14 May, 2014 @ 15:21
14.1

We’ll do our best!

Will I be able to play online in europe if I import physical english copy?

Isshak Ferdjani 14 May, 2014 @ 15:22
15.1

I’m not sure what you mean, since there’s no online mode!

xXcmaiderxX 11 June, 2014 @ 18:54
15.2

I thought you could play four player on it

-_-‘ another game to add to my ‘import when it’s cheap’ list. The lack of physical copies this gen is really disappointing. Surely the PSP UMD’s cost more to produce and if this had been for PSP I bet it would’ve seen a physical release.

I hate digital, it takes up space on a tiny and overpriced card (I have 32gb which is always full) and it encourages monopolizing.

Ac3_l1ghtn1ng 14 May, 2014 @ 11:08

Namco Bandai is on a roll, I saw some gameplay trailers but only one or two since I didn’t think this would get localized but thank god it is, day 1 buy. If you could be kind enough to answer 2 questions for me;
1) will it be english or japanese dub?
2) as a die hard vita fan and lover of digimon is it possible to localize digimon story cyber sleuth?

Isshak Ferdjani 14 May, 2014 @ 15:23
17.1

Nothing to announce on dub yet. But about Digimon: I know one way you can help, by signing a certain petition ;)

This is great news, as I’ve been pestering for this on the blog and twitter for months.

Just a couple of queries. Will we be getting any pre-order bonuses such as the wedding dress dlc that other regions got. Also, will we be getting the full range of dlc that’s been scheduled for weekly release in other regions, including the 30+ hour content update that’s been confirmed for July?

Thank you very much! please bring God Eater 2 as well and it will be the best year for PSVita ^^

manicrebirth 14 May, 2014 @ 11:23

Hell yeah i’m very happy to hear this! So excited to play this..

tenshi_alpha 14 May, 2014 @ 11:32

Wonderful news! Thanks!

DarkBahamut87 14 May, 2014 @ 11:38

Pity there won’t be a physical edition, but since America won’t have it too, I guess I can pass over it.
I’ll buy it as soon as I can. Does anyone know how much space does it take?

Now, I hope there’ll be chances to localize Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, too.

Cool stuff. As always, a physical version would be appreciated, but I don’t mind going digital.

i find more and more unexpected releases, this makes me want a vita even more, keep it up!

Even though I find SAO anime pretty unpleasant – game is a different story. I just really hope it’s more about exploring and monster-grinding and less about date-sim.

THUNDERCAT1973 14 May, 2014 @ 13:42

good news people should be happy that we are getting stuff like this at all even if it is digital, not long ago there would be no chance. too the people saying they will import you do know that the american version is digital only as well?
just be thankful we are getting these types of games, you and i might like them but to be honest there niche titles and its not worth the time and money to make physical editions. only negative as they don’t need to pay for stuff like packaging etc price should be cheaper, £20-25 not £30 plus.

26.1

there is an asian version that offers choice between chinese and english subtitles and they do have a physicial copy. Even a collector’s edition…

Sorry, but I don’t buy game in digital. I’ll buy the asian physical version.

FOR THE EUROPEAN GAMER: DON’T BUY GAME IN DD! STOP THIS DISCRIMINATION

DarkBahamut87 14 May, 2014 @ 15:14
27.1

Ianu (sono Haseo), non è “discriminazione europea”, pure in America è DD-only. In questo caso non ci si può lamentare di questo.

27.2

lo so che anche in America è in DD, il mio discorso era riferito in generale ai titoli che da noi arrivano in DD e nel resto del mondo in formato fisico (Muramasa Rebirth, Drakengard 3, Mind:0 e altri).
SAO lo importo dall’ Asia e passa la paura, ma se continua così finisce che in Europa arriverà solo roba in DD. la cosa triste è che poi Sony ha anche il coraggio di lamentarsi delle vendite di Vita.

27.3

@ianuarius
I agree this is dangerous trend to publish games only in digital version, in my humble opinion you are right to say that you don’t like it (I did the same :P)

THUNDERCAT1973 14 May, 2014 @ 13:50

ianuarius as much as we might not like it, digital is the future especially for RPGS, do you really want to go back to the dark ages were we don’t get 99% of these games in the west. all people like you are going to do by not buying is for the companies to just say screw up, its not worth the time and money, lets stop bringing these games to the west. have to laugh at how gamers are not satisfied not matter what. we don’t get these games in europe, we get these games but its digital only and i bet if they did bring a physical version people would still find something to complain about

28.1

The future of gaming depends on gamers not publishers.

If people will let publishers do however they want, sure they will prioritize digital versions. There are no costs of production here because they don’t have to make physical copies of games, they don’t have to store it or prepare games for sell. We heard many times before that digital versions will be cheaper… but that’s not true!

As we know the prices are exactly the same as retail physical versions.

It is our right as a customer to demand more. And like many people already said here, they have already pre ordered game from China/Japan… wherever there is demand there should be also supply. Simple as that.

THUNDERCAT1973 14 May, 2014 @ 13:58

like or not digital i here and its the future, epically for niche titles and RPGs.it will just get to the point with people not buying because its digital, companies will just think its not worth it and we will be back to the old days when most stuff didnt come to the west, is that what you really want?

But prices do need to be cheaper with digital release, as i said in other post £20-25

Timberman80 14 May, 2014 @ 23:10
29.1

So much this!! Frankly, I’m sick and tired of whiney people who encourages people to not buying a product since its Digital only. Its way better to get it DO than not at all! What in sam h*** do you think will happen if everyone imports instead of supporting their own region?? Obviously, they WILL NOT release it physical, thats for sure. Now, all you whiners, go ruin someone elses hobby. /end of rant

PEOPLE if you IMPORT you will need to set up an asian account on your vita or you wont be able to update, use dlc and play multiplayer.

It’s way easier to just buy this one game digital!

Don’t listen to m1tch91, you don’t need an asian psn account to update the game or play the multiplayer (except if there’s an online pass), you’ll only miss out on dlc. So IMPORT away, it’s like they’re expecting this to sell anyways.

always good to see more jrpg come to europe, now i only hope its good :)

Please bring the game with the japanese dub, please please please!!!

supersmith2500 14 May, 2014 @ 16:14

Another Digital only title. Ah well, better than nothing. How much space for the game?

So i cant buy a physically copy?

35.1

yes, but the english/chines version from Asia

35.2

*chinese

i’m really happy with you, bandai namco your going to bring us not 1 but 2 SAO games in july i have to get it :D you have made my year alot more aweome. thanks!

GlennBuster 14 May, 2014 @ 17:56

I do hope it will release in Holland aswell unlike what Arc System Works did with BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma. But aside from that I am really hyped for this game!

Can i buy if i have 4gb memory card, i dont have any games downloaded on it the only things i have on it is normal games that take 2-4mb and its 2 of them

38.1

Omg sry for my english, i will rewrite it here. Do i need a bigger a memory card then 4gb, I havent download any games on it.

38.2

should be fine, i think someone on gaf said the japanese digital size seems to be around 2,9GB. I dont see it being much different here.

38.3

So it will be the only digital game i can have on it?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! THANK YOU THANK YOU :D

i normaly buy a lot off namco bandai games but 2 factors makes a no buy first is DIGITAL only 2nd is no japanese dub. i’ll be waiting for the one piece game that’s coming. also any news on tales of hearts having japanese dub?

DizzyQViper 14 May, 2014 @ 19:42

At last a publisher who treats the EU and the US equally with digital only instead of playing favourites. Its still disappointing but at least i can live it this way.

Also any word on God Eater 2 for the west?

Vana-gandar 14 May, 2014 @ 20:05

I <3 YOU. Bringing this to europe makes a fan of the novel and anime really really happy ;)

I have a question about this game which I’m very exicted about, does this game have mature or teen content that is suitable for teen players like Rated Teen?

Excited for this release on PSN! Add me up for Sword Art Online!

Send friend request. Expand the Playstation experience.

This game will be released in the Us to right? I hope so, i love sword art online! :D

45.1

Did you ever see game that was released in EU but not in US? I haven’t

Also it was already posted on US blog:

Cheers!

All I got to say. Is now for the rest of my life I will always buy sony consoles. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I just hope to god you release this game to North american players as well. THANK YOU SONY I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!

Tymekthehedgehog 17 May, 2014 @ 12:07

Will Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment HD be released in a bundle with Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment as an standalone game, or will Infinity Moment HD be included in Hollow Fragment? I hope it’ll basically be a bundle of two games: One being Infinity Moment HD, the other being Hollow Fragment. And not both included in one game. Please response~

bigbear_C22 20 May, 2014 @ 19:00

This is good news but how long will it be available on the psn store permanently or only for a few days

Shame it’s digital only but I’ll pick it up nonetheless. Love the art style.

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history