Posted

New Planetside 2 PS4 details, no PS Plus required to play

An update from the team at Sony Online Entertainment

Greetings from the PlanetSide 2 team! We’ve had a busy start to 2014 with tons of progress being made on the PS4 version of PlanetSide 2! Getting the world’s largest FPS experience to the console is no small feat, and we have an incredibly talented, hard-working team dedicated to the cause.

Each day is a flurry of playtests, reviews, brainstorming, check-ins, and more playtesting for good measure; the progress we’ve made over the last few months has been amazing to watch.

Now the team is looking forward to an exciting summer full of events and reveals, kicking off this month at E3 and MLG Anaheim (June 20th through 22nd) with the very first hands-on playable version of PlanetSide 2 on PS4! We absolutely can’t wait for you to experience the epic scale and intensity of PlanetSide 2.

14346511214_bd18d5df9d_o

One of the best things about working on a game like PlanetSide 2 is that it’s a living, evolving game that’s constantly being updated and improved upon. In addition to work being done for PS4, the team is working on a lot of content and game systems enhancements to the live game. Some of the biggest features we’re excited to deliver in the next few months are: Hossin, our fourth full 64sqkm continent, an advanced achievement system called Directives, player-driven continent conquest/locking, and expansions to our game’s Outfits systems.

The best part? These new features will be implemented on both the PC and PS4 versions of the game, and new features and content will continually be added to the game for years to come. And did I mention, all this for a free-to-play title out of the gate — no PlayStation Plus required.

So, check out our new art, buckle up, and get ready. PlanetSide 2 is coming to PS4, and we can’t wait for you to see what all the hype is about!

Share your best war stories on Twitter or Facebook.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

21 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

BLEACH-Fan 6 June, 2014 @ 2:05 pm   1

Huzzah!!! I will definitely give this a crack

BaneyFunny 6 June, 2014 @ 2:06 pm   2

So this is now a sales point to now have PLUS required? LOL. Biggest mistake by sony enjoy your first couple of million ps4 customers who buy plus after that people will rather play on other platforms or even on their phones where they dont have enforced mp3 drm, online paywalls and other (CENSORED)

Harrisown 6 June, 2014 @ 4:15 pm

Think we just found Major Nelson’s trolling account…

watakanata 6 June, 2014 @ 4:31 pm

The article actually says PS+ won’t be required…

andrewsqual 6 June, 2014 @ 9:03 pm

No I think even Major Nelson actually owns a PlayStation console so he could at least add an avatar pic to his account to make it NOT look like it was a PSN account created on the Sony Entertainment Network Website lol.
    Seriously mods, can we just have this guy who comments bad on ANYTHING related to PS Plus banned please? You know, the thing called PS Plus that was ANNOUNCED as a service where you rent games and he has only just realised this when the PS4 launched and thinks it is all of a sudden a terrible thing. See this 4 year old blog post for reference http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/06/23/playstation-plus-explained/

Give me a break

BaneyFunny 6 June, 2014 @ 2:07 pm   3

*to not have PLUS required i meant, sorry 🙂

HazeBlaze 7 June, 2014 @ 4:47 am

Not requiring PLUS for some games is not going to diminish the popularity of PLUS. Many gamers considered it a great deal on the PS3 before it had anything to do with connectivity. There is no better deal on console gaming than PS+. Only Steam does it better.

There’s no such thing as an unhappy PS+ member among PS3 and Vita owners. Once enough content has been out for Sony to start securing AAA titles for the PS4 as well, that alone will be enough motivation for people to use it.

Besides, there’s no better option on current gen systems than PS+… even when it comes to managing friends, sharing, and party features. So why would anyone leave a good service they have to pay for, for a worse one that they still have to pay for?

supvic 7 June, 2014 @ 2:33 pm

If that’s what you meant, none of the rest of your post would’ve made any sense..

geronimo73 6 June, 2014 @ 2:08 pm   4

release date ?

LandmineSalesman 6 June, 2014 @ 2:19 pm   5

Will it still have 2000 players per map?

I can live with the platforms being separated for players. But I don’t get why accounts can’t be used on both systems. I’m not interested in investing time or money for the very same unlocks once again.

Gotta love Planetside. It’s a living proof that you can make excellent games without extorting 100$ from European players =^.^=

RusStarik 6 June, 2014 @ 3:25 pm   8

I CAN’T WAIT!!! The only thing that I need now, is a release date for this. :3

Varukoi 6 June, 2014 @ 3:53 pm   9

This is great news cause i have not renewed my playstation plus.

Harrisown 6 June, 2014 @ 4:16 pm

Which is sad because it bloody good value. I guess you could go buy a couple of bottle of coke, that would be fun for a while.

extermin8or_ 6 June, 2014 @ 5:24 pm   10

Well ofc it’s a selling point. IF you required PS Plus then it wouldn’t be a proper free to play title….

Tipo-120B 6 June, 2014 @ 9:01 pm   11

Gotta say. This, Destiny and Project Cars are the only games I’m interested in thus far down the PS4 roadmap. I’m hoping for great things from Planetside 2 though.

twinspectre 6 June, 2014 @ 9:51 pm   12

i noticed the announcement said “Skill” so the game is without Aim Assist ? if the answer is Yes then i’m Really Excited about this game , if the game will have aim assist then i will say Screw you guys (Skills means playing with Your Skill and not being handholded)

HazeBlaze 7 June, 2014 @ 4:38 am   13

This is one of the games I bought my PS4 for! If it’s available this holiday, I will be very excited. I’ve watched vids of matches and always wished my laptop could run Planetside 2. This and Destiny are all I’d really want to play this fall… I won’t even buy anything else until The Witcher 3.

pontiy 7 June, 2014 @ 4:07 pm   14

Where realise date ? I am always paided PLUS. I need real interseted and good news.