Posted

No Man’s Sky is coming to PS4

Hello Games’ astonishing science fiction project shown off at E3 2014

Hello PlayStation Blog! My name is Sean Murray, and I’m part of an independent studio called Hello Games. You might know us from a game called Joe Danger. That’s the only time I’ve been on the blog before. Sony were incredibly supportive of us back then, when we were just starting out as four friends, making our first game.

Now Sony is putting our next game, called No Man’s Sky, on the biggest stage in the world of video games… and I’m feeling pretty sick with nerves.

I’m writing this during the rehearsals for Sony’s E3 keynote. I’ve never been before, just watched every year from home. It’s a lot bigger in real life.

No Man’s Sky is a science-fiction game, and it’s incredibly ambitious, set in a vast universe we have created.

Diplo

It’s a game without limits. If you see a mountain, you can trek there. From that mountain, if you see another planet hanging on the horizon, that’s a real place, with its own ecology. You can get in your ship, fly into space and it’s yours to explore. Not just that, but every star in the sky is just the light of a sun, with its own solar system waiting for you to discover and adventure in.

To put together our demo for E3, I’ve just been flying around, looking for nice locations for screenshots. Normally as a developer, your game doesn’t often surprise you, but I’ve just been grinning ear to ear as I’ve explored. Getting into fights with pirates, attacking space stations, discovering life I never knew existed. I guess I’m biased, but there are moments where my jaw drops, just seeing unexpected results emerge from procedural systems we’ve created.

Creature

Going out on the stage at Sony’s E3 press conference will be the biggest thing our little studio has ever done. We’ve been planning this game for years, even knowing that Joe Danger was a stepping stone to get to this point. Four of us went into a little room last year and finally started prototyping it. We didn’t even know if what we wanted to do was possible.

Before we finally announced it at VGX we just had no idea how No Man’s Sky would be received, but the incredible reaction helped us get through some real difficult times in the months since, like when our studio flooded at Christmas, and we sort of lost everything.

Fleet

We’ve all been working so hard for our E3 demo since then. We haven’t done any press, or talked to anyone really, we just wanted to make the game, and prove ourselves worthy of all the kind words we’ve had since the VGXs. In that time we’ve seen the universe explode as we’ve designed hundreds of new procedural systems that have led to new forms of life, new patterns of vegetation and amazing geological formations. Back at VGX, the game was so young. Now it’s much more complete.

I’ve flown out first, but the whole of Hello Games is joining me soon to sit in the audience. I can’t wait to see them – it’ll be our first E3 for everyone.

By the time you’re reading this, hopefully the show went off without a hitch and I didn’t vomit on-stage, or whatever (potentially I’m already some sort of animated gif meme embarrassment). But most of all, we hope you like what we’ve shown today.

Thanks for all your support! Find out more here.

AlpineFly

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

40 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

This has potential to be Epic. Good luck with the project, it’s looking awesome!

BaneyFunny 10 June, 2014 @ 10:55 am

yeah by far the best e3 title , too bad everything else is a knife stabbed into the back of every ps3 owner. And still no custom mp3 soundtracks on ps4, what a joke.

Archacus 10 June, 2014 @ 12:15 pm

@BaneyFuny
    IMHO best was Witcher 3, and No Man’s Sky is 2nd.

Really big suprise, out of nowhere “WOW” game like this. Great job!

ocelot07 10 June, 2014 @ 5:01 am   2

This looks stunning.

ActionFlash 10 June, 2014 @ 5:27 am   3

Can’t wait for this, the scale of it is amazing!

Cyanide_Vinyl 10 June, 2014 @ 6:20 am   4

Developers (and attitudes) like this are the reason why I play games. Good luck. I can’t wait to play it.

FantasyMeister 10 June, 2014 @ 6:48 am   5

I hadn’t seen No Man’s Sky until your E3 presentation which I caught earlier on Twitch.TV, I thought you did great! So for me it was a breath of fresh air and being a sci-fi fan (yay for Asimov who made up around 90% of all my reading during my teens) the game itself sounds right up my street. The seamless transition from space to planet and back again was breathtaking, loved the barrel-roll, looking forward to seeing more as development progresses. It’s very easy to see why Sony wanted you to show it at their E3 presser, thank you for doing so.

Unicronic 10 June, 2014 @ 7:02 am   6

Wow, just wow. I’d never heard of this game prior to E3. This looks stunning and refreshing. If this really is the game itself, and it actually lets to go where you can see as seamlessly as in the demo, then this is going to be something really special.

Please tell me it is 2014.

Waikato_Pete 10 June, 2014 @ 7:13 am   7

Looks mean!
Any ideas yet on when we can expect it to be arriving on PS4?

Lt_Combo 10 June, 2014 @ 7:50 am   8

I’ve been interested in this game ever since I saw the first gameplay on PC … it’s amazing that a small team is making this .. imagine if they come out with a price like 20euro .. that would be INSANE .. esp if the game has crafting, building etc next to exploration (voxel based game right?) it would become the next minecraft

It’s kind of weird when the most interesting game from E3 is a game from a 4 man studio, and I’m still not sure what you are supposed to do i the game =)

Looks stunning, no news of a release date though? Could be waiting a while.

marratj 10 June, 2014 @ 10:19 am   11

If it’s anywhere near Frontier: Elite 2, you guys will have done an absolutely amazing job! No Man’s Sky looks like a spiritual successor to that one for me which I never thought I would see in many years to come.

Keep up the good work!

intrepidis 14 June, 2014 @ 10:18 am

Well, if you want the actual successor to Frontier: Elite II, check out Elite: Dangerous. It’s coming out very soon!

intrepidis 14 June, 2014 @ 10:21 am

Where’s the video? I’ve only seen the old one from last year.

Do the planets orbit the stars and such? The game looks amazing, looking forward to this game

Witcher70 10 June, 2014 @ 11:25 am   13

Amazing looking game from a 4 man team Day one purchase for me Well Done Hello Games 🙂

nulenvoid 10 June, 2014 @ 12:46 pm   14

I love the retro scifi styling, reminds me of the artwork from the Terran Trade Authority books, sounds brilliant too – good luck with succeeding with your vision.

ShadowGandalf 10 June, 2014 @ 1:03 pm   15

This game looks absolutely amazing. I’ve ALWAYS wanted a game where you can fly seamlessly from planet to planet then explore on foot. Will definitely buy, DAY ONE!! You’ve fulfilled my dream here.

It’s brilliant you managed to come back from that devastating flood. I was also slightly affected by the flooding, but nowhere near the degree you guys were. Well done indeed.

TIMETRAVEL1966 10 June, 2014 @ 1:17 pm   16

Fantastic

Shikome 10 June, 2014 @ 4:38 pm   17

Wonderful looking game. Thank you so much for restoring my faith in actually buying a PS4. 🙂

flinniboy 10 June, 2014 @ 4:47 pm   18

this game looks amazing I will be buying it when it comes out n good look guys 🙂

Paranoimia 10 June, 2014 @ 4:51 pm   19

You can take my money now if you like. I can’t wait to get lost in this… if it’s as good as it sounds, I may never need to buy another game.

critter44 10 June, 2014 @ 5:51 pm   20

This with Project Morpheus…make it so!

lizziebear66 10 June, 2014 @ 6:07 pm   21

Wow just amazing….defo a must buy……this game outshone most of the other e3 games

Njitram2000 10 June, 2014 @ 7:33 pm   22

This is the only game that really wowed me during the press conference (except Uncharted, of course). The best part is that I had written this off as something boring but now it really has my attention!

Mekzilla 10 June, 2014 @ 8:41 pm   23

Im still confused how multiplayer works with this game? lol , today we didnt really get a straight answer about if you can actually run into another player (altho they did say you are all lightyears apart) which to me kinda says you ‘can’ …. any insight on this?

Symonator 10 June, 2014 @ 9:31 pm   24

I dont usually log in to comment on the blog..but for me this game was a must buy as soon as i saw and heard about it.
We are in a new generation of gaming and this is a great next gen concept..i can’t wait to try it.
Good luck. Release asap lol

MrBeowolf 10 June, 2014 @ 10:08 pm   25

PLEASE dont tell me that it is PS4 only! Will there be a PC version? Please if its PS only i gonna die :_(

Mekzilla 10 June, 2014 @ 11:05 pm   26

no one knows yet all we know is its ps4 first , guessing xbox eventually too ,, dnno bout pc.

daviddday 10 June, 2014 @ 11:10 pm   27

Blew my mind when I saw it on E3! Can’t wait to get my hands on this game and hello, Hello games. Didn’t know you until I saw E3 even though I had played Joe Danger on iOS.

You guys are kicking arse and taking names, putting many of the large AAA studios to shame with your crazy ambition. Hands down game of show! Keep up the amazing work Sean and the team

obiadekanobi1980 11 June, 2014 @ 1:28 pm   29

Really cant wait for this!! Best game of E32014 for me!! follow sean over at @nomanssky, as this is going to be a classic!! (fingers very, very, very crossed)

DarthSmurfX 11 June, 2014 @ 3:58 pm   30

I do have one BIG problem with this game.

It’s that… I’m not playing it right now.

T_Rock12345 11 June, 2014 @ 11:35 pm   31

Well, if anything can sell the PS4 now, it’s this and Uncharted.

KieranTheDoc2 13 June, 2014 @ 4:58 pm   32

If this game is real, this is a big, big set back for Microsoft

Gabriel041 14 June, 2014 @ 2:51 am

It’s not a forever exclusive game, it’s debut exclusive, from what I’ve heard.

Bujin_Tao 16 June, 2014 @ 2:17 am   33

Hey Sean, You guys are geniuses. Seriously, this procedural development is absolutely mind blowing. You guys are doing something much deeper than You know. Are You familiar with the simulation theory? This whole universe could be a procedurally created simulation what the Vedas call maya (illusion) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_%28illusion%29
Have so much respect for Your entire company and team over at Hello Games. You guys pulled through and pulled off an awesome E3 showing even though Your office was flooded last Christmas.
Seriously cannot say how much I’m excited to see Your completed work in all it’s glory. In my humble opinion, You guys are making history with this project. Your twitter posts about 64k have motivated me to learn more about this amazing procedural mathematics/programming.
Thank You for all the hard work and really wish You awesome geniuses @ Hello Games all the best in this life.

TrueMurton 16 June, 2014 @ 9:22 am   34

Looks great, but will I be alone in this universe? Given the scale it would likely get a bit stale after a few hours if you can’t enlist a couple of friends to fly with you.

I eagerly await a release date announcement.

pang_paff 9 July, 2014 @ 1:06 am   35

i love to see this on my ps4 soon cant wait!!!!!