The PlayStation E3 2014 media briefing has come to a close here in Los Angeles, and it hosted an array of big announcements and reveals, setting out an exciting year ahead for PlayStation gamers.
- inFAMOUS First Light is coming to PS4 this August
- LittleBigPlanet 3 is coming soon to PS4
- The Last of Us Remastered PS4 release date and new trailer
- Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End trailer debuts at E3 2014
- From Software’s Bloodborne announced exclusively for PS4
- Entwined announced for PS4 – and it’s out now!
- Dead Island 2 announced for PS4
- No Man’s Sky is coming to PS4
- Not a Hero coming to PS4 and PS Vita, from the creators of OlliOlli
- Far Cry 4 – ‘Keys to Kyrat’ feature is exclusive to PlayStation
- The Order: 1886 – Release date, new trailer and Collector’s Edition unveiled
- The original Ratchet & Clank is being re-imagined for PS4
- YouTube app coming to PS4 this Autumn
First and foremost, the show saw a number of major new exclusive first party games unveiled for PlayStation consoles:
- Bloodborne – A dark, deep new action RPG for PS4 from visionary creator Hidetaka Miyazaki (Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls)
- LittleBigPlanet 3 – Sackboy is back in action later this year, with a trio of new pals in tow!
- Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End – Nathan Drake returns in a stunning new adventure from Naughty Dog
- Entwined – A striking new digital title from a brand new member of the Sony Worldwide Studios family – which you can pick up right now on PlayStation Store
- Ratchet & Clank – Insomniac Games is re-imagining the first game in its much loved series
- inFAMOUS: First Light – Fetch takes centre stage in a brand new digital-only title from Sucker Punch Productions
We also demonstrated how PlayStation will be the best place to enjoy the biggest games from the industry’s premier developers. For example, PS4 customers will have exclusive access to a special Destiny ‘first look’ alpha starting this Thursday, and PlayStation gamers will be the first to play the full Destiny beta when it begins on 17th July. And in addition to a ton of exclusive content, we also unveiled an exclusive Destiny bundle that features the first-ever white PS4 and 30 days free access to PlayStation Plus.
The theme continued when Batman: Arkham Knight closed the show with amazing gameplay footage and special bonus Scarecrow Nightmare missions only available on PlayStation. Our friends at Ubisoft unveiled the co-op mode for Far Cry 4 and announced that when you buy the game on either PS3 or PS4 you can invite your PSN friend to join you even if they don’t own the game. Blizzard unveiled PlayStation-only The Last of Us content for Diablo III. Rockstar Games also joined us onstage to reveal that the 2013 Game of the Year GTAV is coming to PS4, with the ability to transfer your progress from Xbox 360 and PS3 directly to PS4.
We also continued to champion our close relationship with the best independent developers in the business. Many of you will be excited to hear that Hello Games‘ thrilling No Man’s Sky will make its console debut on PS4. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg – thatgamecompany alumnus Matt Nava showed off his striking new project ABZU, and Devolver Digital announced plans to bring buzz titles Broforce, Not a Hero and Titan Souls to PlayStation platforms. Look out for more news from our indie partners throughout the week.
On the hardware front, we showcased PlayStation TV, a new micro-console that will allow you to stream PS4 gameplay to any TV in your home, and also allow you to play PS Vita titles on the big screen, with your DUALSHOCK 3 or DUALSHOCK 4. It launches later this year, priced at €99.
And the list goes on: legendary designer Tim Schafer joined us to announce a new version of his classic adventure Grim Fandango; there were stunning new trailers and release dates for The Last of Us: Remastered and The Order: 1886; a raft of new free-to-play experiences were debuted; Suda51’s latest project Let it Die made an appearance; we detailed the forthcoming YouTube app for PS4; we hosted new trailers for Metal Gear Solid 5 and Mortal Kombat X; and offered your first glimpse at Dead Island 2.
Finally, the show also featured an update on the previously announced PlayStation Now streaming service, and news of Powers, a TV series from renowned comic book writer Brian Michael Bendis that will launch exclusively on our network, offering fantastic entertainment and added value to PS Plus members. SCEE is working closely with Sony Pictures TV on the plan for Powers within our region and we’ll share more information shortly.
As for PlayStation Now, we look forward to bringing the service to our region and are currently working hard to put in place everything needed for the roll out. Delivering a service like this across multiple countries, all with varying standards of broadband provision makes the process complicated. However, taking the learnings from the work done for the beta for PS Now in the US, we’re confident we’ll be able to bring PS Now to gamers within the SCEE region soon. Look out for an update at Gamescom 2014 in August.
That’s all for now. We really hope you enjoyed the show. Please click on the links above for more information on each announcement and stay tuned to PlayStation Blog all week for additional news and updates direct from the showfloor.