Plus-hero)">
Plus-hero)">
Plus-hero)">
Posted

PlayStation Plus in July: Strider, Dead Space 3, Towerfall Ascension, more

Doki Doki Universe, Vessel and LEGO Batman 2: DC Superheroes also join the service

Hi everyone. I hope you’ve recovered from the excitement of E3 and are ready for an epic July. Read on to find out what you’ll be enjoying in PlayStation Plus.

New on PlayStation 4

First up this month on PS4 comes frenetic platformer TowerFall Ascension, which launched to huge acclaim earlier this year, picking up 9/10 from Eurogamer and 8.9 from IGN!

In the land of TowerFall you engage the noble and brutal tradition of bow-and-arrow combat either on your own or with up to four friends for hilarious, intense versus matches. TowerFall Ascension is the ‘director’s cut’ version of the game, with 50 new versus levels, four more playable archers, an all­-new 12-player cooperative Quest mode and six additional power­-ups.

towerfallheader

Next up on PS, we’ve teamed up with our friends at Capcom to bring you their hugely entertaining action title Strider! The game tells the story of Hiryu, the youngest ever “Super A” ranked agent of an elite corps known as the Striders. Strider Hiryu receives orders to assassinate Grandmaster Meio, supreme dictator of Earth, who has plunged humanity into a dystopian dark age…

Strider

New on PlayStation 3

On PS3 this month it’s time to return to the depths of space in Dead Space 3. Fortunately this time you are not alone as Isaac Clarke and merciless soldier John Carver go on a journey across space to discover the source of the Necromorph outbreak. Facing never-more-deadly evolved enemies, the unlikely pair must work together to save mankind from extinction.

Dead Space

Next up on PS3 is 2D action puzzler Vessel. Arkwright, inventor of the world famous Fluro (mechanized-fluid automaton) is on a quest to finish his next great invention – The Device – that will alter existence in unimaginable ways. However, Fluros begin to mutate and run amok, and it’s up to Arkwright to understand (and exploit) these strange evolutions.

Vessel

New on PS Vita

LEGO Batman 2: DC Superheroes is your first offering this month on PS Vita. Can you help Batman save Gotham City from an array of fearsome villains including Penguin, Riddler, Harley Quinn and the Joker? Don’t fear though, this time you are not alone as Batman has drafted in Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern to lend a hand!

Lego Batman

Your final offering for this month is the unique and charming Doki Doki Universe from HumaNature Studios. You will travel to uniquely themed planets and asteroids to meet some of the most bizarre characters in an effort to learn more about them, and hopefully, learn a little bit more about your character along the way. What’s more, it’s Cross Play so you can enjoy this one on PS3, PS4 or PS Vita.

Doki_Buggabug3_1384191612

2nd July: TowerFall Ascension
2nd July: Strider
2nd July: Dead Space 3
2nd July: Vessel
2nd July: LEGO Batman 2: DC Superheroes
2nd July: Doki Doki Universe

Don’t miss out! Make sure you add any of the games scheduled to leave the service to your download list now to ensure you get to play them!

We are always listening to our members to ensure we continually improve the PS Plus service! Now is your chance to give us feedback on the content so we can find out what you loved, liked, and didn’t like so much. Simply take part in our content survey and share your thoughts on the June 2014 games.

Don’t forget to also visit the PlayStation forums where each month we have challenges and competitions focused on the games in the Plus service for you to enjoy and compete against other Plus members.

Not a PlayStation Plus member? Then join today from just £5.49/€6.99 per month. To find out more, visit our PlayStation Plus site.

Remember, if you’ve not got access to your PS4, PS3 or PS Vita then you can also buy through our online store.

504 Comments
4 Author replies
jorispelgrom 25 June, 2014 @ 16:45

What’s up with the two games less this month?

mitchbel1996 25 June, 2014 @ 16:49
1.1

They already announced: 2 games for each platform (PS4, PS3 & Vita) each month for the foreseeable future.

andrewsqual 25 June, 2014 @ 16:58
1.2

And its 72 games a year now rather than 65.

ghettokid1987 25 June, 2014 @ 18:01
1.3

It’s 72 games in year only if you play on all three consoles at the same time.

Show more replies

Nice update

2.1

Dead Space 3 is much better than many people think ;) Got it in a 7 euro sale already tho in PSN hahaha glad I did not renew plus.

counterUAVbaby 25 June, 2014 @ 16:47

Line-up sucks! I finished with that (CENSORED). Im going to purchase xbox live gold!

counterUAVbaby 25 June, 2014 @ 16:50
3.1

*mitchbel1996 me too!

see ya!

3.3

Because the equivalent line-up is just as good? I see.

Show more replies
StevenJamesHyde 25 June, 2014 @ 16:47

3 PS4 games you say? Excellent stuff

Looks like the leaks were right about the PS4 games! And great offering this month. None of the PS4 games are old PS3 ports which we have seen for the last few month. So again good job this month!!!

5.1

“None of the PS4 games are old PS3 ports”
no but Strider a NES remake from 1989

dotHyunickel 25 June, 2014 @ 16:47

Great! Excited to try out Towerfall :)!

dark_angel69 25 June, 2014 @ 16:47

Not too bad. Dead Space 3 and LEGO Batman 2: DC Superheroes for me. I like that feedback voting thing.

7.1

The feedback results just look plain biased. No way all of them would be 100% on one catagory.

LEGO Batman 2 is awful anyway. It’s a 3DS port, same as all the other LEGO games on Vita.

7.2

Uh, No…

7.3

The feedback results aren’t all 100% on one category. You are either reading it wrong or there is an error in the way it’s loaded up for you

Show more replies

lame offering.

Can we not get disgaea for plus at all (vita)

8.1

A Disgaea game would be a great choice for a future Vita PS+ game.

X_Blood_Curse_X 25 June, 2014 @ 17:39
8.2

Yes I agree, America has had Disgaea and Plants VS Zombies for Vita, we keep getting terrible Vita ports of Lego games

willbillbill 25 June, 2014 @ 16:48

Nice list, its Strider and Lego Batman for me. DeadSpace3 is a solid game worth a play through for anyone who hasn’t picked it up already

I would like to thank SCEE… with steam sale, gog sales, world end economica (vita game) kickstarter… I wouldn’t have enough money if you would have anything that is even in 1/20 as good as steam or gog sales…

That’s why thank you, I won’t have to buy plus for another month .

10.1

Btw: Dead Space 3 was in humble bundle for 1$

The bundle also included Dead Space 1, Burnout, Crysis 2, Mirror’s Edge, Medal of Honor, Battelfied 3, and Sims 3 (for 3.56 average price)

KaneTheGoth 25 June, 2014 @ 17:00
10.2

Nice to see another GoGer :)

10.3

Bye

Show more replies

Already got Strider but the rest looks great. I’m very happy with it :)

So back to the trusty PS3 for the only AAA title for the micro transaction riddled Deadspace 3 of what I have little expectation. The rest doesn’t tickle my fancy at all.

Dale-Dangerous_x 02 July, 2014 @ 13:25
12.1

Hmmm, never once had to use micro transactions on all 3 dead space games, enjoyed all 3 thoroughly. Curious, what micro transactions have you been forced (seems as though you’re needing them to enjoy the game?) To purchase to enjoy your playthrough? Just a question to argument intended BTW lol

cool. i wanted strider and doki doki!
thanks

Kind of disapointed of the games for PS4, but it’s “free” so can’t complain that much I suppose.

14.1

Hi, please could you let me know how to get PS+ for free so I can get in on the fun?

NorthernFusion 25 June, 2014 @ 18:29
14.2

I’m guessing the inverted commas were lost on you.

Disaster!!!

15.1

Not really…

Cool list of games :P

Alphaembryo 25 June, 2014 @ 16:50

Average month…

sporeboy100 30 June, 2014 @ 00:36
17.1

i dont know, the PS4 getting a REAL game instead of kickstarted shovelware, it is pretty much the systems best month for the service yet

windsorblue01 25 June, 2014 @ 16:51

got the lego game for ps3 in sale good to get it for vita to.

how about the mavel lego one or the movie one for ps3 in future.

awesome thanks :)

I really appreciate being allowed to comment on previous months games

Yay, why innovate when you can pixelate? :/

Can’t help but feel that this month’s PS Vita selection could have been much better.

21.1

I think so too, but give it time, man. We just got 4 games for the vita last month.. at least 3 of them were great.

sporeboy100 30 June, 2014 @ 00:37
21.2

still waiting for mortal kombat

21.3

@sporeboy100 MK already was on Plus, for Vita in December 2012 and for PS3 a month later.

I3loodthirsty 25 June, 2014 @ 16:55

How many months in a row have the leaks been right lol.pretty meh line up again, I think I ll try strider but thats it as dont have a ps3 for dead space 3

Towerfall, Dead Space and Vessel are highlights for me.
Great line up. Thanks PlayStation!

lumoplusjess 25 June, 2014 @ 16:56

bah, just got lego batman 2 vita in the sale last month.
Looks like ps4 has a better lineup that ps3 and vita for once

sporeboy100 30 June, 2014 @ 00:38
24.1

i know, it is actually getting a REAL game on the service, not just shovelware that came from kickstarter

I would trade Dead Space 3 for Strider (PS3) any day. Good month for PS4. I’ll give Vessel a try.

Bought Dead Space 3 about a year ago and it is a good game… Not as good as Dead Space 2 but good… Finally I will be able to complete it in Coop with my … lets say not so brave friends (they were scared even of buying it)

Meh…
Not a great month but not the worst either…
Where are the RPGs??

sporeboy100 30 June, 2014 @ 00:38
27.1

for the PS4, it is the best month

Really getting back on track with the IGC now. Really pleased with Dead Space 3 and Strider. Heard good things about Vessel but I don’t have the time for it. Lego Batman I may grab once I’ve cleared some space on the Vita.

Thanks for letting us give feedback about the games for PS4 last month. I have a feeling they’re going to get a kicking, but them’s the breaks.

28.1

Just make sure you put Vessel in your DL list and then you can play it at a later stage

28.2

Will do Chris, cheers.

A rather mixed experience for July.
Towerfall, Strider and Dead Space 3 are obviously the better part.

Vessel – Not enough reviews for an official Metacritic rating, but those few seem rather positive.
LEGO Batman 2: DC Superheroes – 62%
Doki-Doki Universe – 66%

Two games beneath that critical 70% rating, both for the Vita and AGAIN one of those *beep* 3DS to Vita Lego ports. That’s the third time that we Germans receive that kind of *beep*.
But yeah, obviously criticism about Lego Vita games falls on deaf ears.

DrunkLemmiwinks 25 June, 2014 @ 17:15
29.1

Yeah, Lego games on Vita definitly *beep*.

DrunkLemmiwinks 25 June, 2014 @ 17:16
29.2

Oh and censoring words *beeps* even harder.

29.3

*beep Metacritic ratings.

Show more replies

Towerfall can do one though. Really? An Ouya port which is only worth playing when you have an extra (50 quid) controller? Please.

30.1

It’s free. Who gives a

30.2

@ben103000 It’s not free, it’s part of a subscription. An absolute steal, yes, and it’s worth every penny if you have all three consoles, but a subscription nonetheless.
What I’m saying is that there’s a lot of games on PS4 which would have been a better choice (octodad, awesomenauts, Injustice, Strike Suit Zero to name a few).
Towerfall is a poor choice because it’s a multiplayer game which can only be described as shovelware. In order to play this “free” game you need an extra controller, which costs 50 quid. You could have friends over to play it with you, and they could bring their own controllers, but none of my friends would be interested in playing this, and I can’t blame them.

So as for your incredibly well thought out argument, it doesn’t seem to have much to it. Just like Towerfall.

sporeboy100 30 June, 2014 @ 00:40
30.3

maybe they thought that the OUYA is dead (which it is) so decided to release on PS4 and convince sony to make it’s PS4 debut coincide with its PSN+ debut

Show more replies
counterUAVbaby 25 June, 2014 @ 16:58

Chris, will we see Splinter Cell:Blacklist and Saints Row IV sometime on IGC? And BTW can you stop giving indie titles on PS3 ,we understood when you reduced PS3 games by one game,but it doesn’t mean that we accept indie titles!

31.1

Unlikely for Splinter Cell anytime soon unfortunately, never say never though

31.2

So, if we read between the lines, Saints Row IV IS coming soon……? ;-)

pinkplaybunny 26 June, 2014 @ 11:05
31.3

I hope so i want Saints row 4 too :-)

Show more replies

Good month for me as I haven’t given ANY of those games a go! Thanks!

Nice. I like the implementation of the survey, i think it’s a great idea to take feedback on the offerings.

I find it disheartening that you listened to all the people banging on about Dead Space 3 though, hopefully this doesn’t mean we’ll get Crysis 3 in the future too.

I personally detest games that have grind-y multiplayer trophies, so as long as you keep those to a minimum in PS Plus, as well as games that will have their multiplayer servers taken down in a few months after they’re on PS Plus e.g. NBA 2K14, i’ll be happy.

Hopefully after the typical Summer slump in gaming PS Plus will pick up from August onwards.

CloudsurferTom 25 June, 2014 @ 17:00

I dont usually complain about ps plus but this month is shockingly s**t!!! When are we getting some decent ps4 games, indie titles are great for awhile I want something really great to keep me entertained!! They know it’s a crappy line up this month by opening with a reminder of destiny beta!!

34.1

What ps4 games would you like to see exactly?

JohnMerced32 25 June, 2014 @ 18:34
34.2

Dude your so rite PS4 owners aint getting no love from Sony, enough with dis Indie game (CENSORED) were are the AAA titles PS3 owners are getting!!

34.3

Before I start a debate, which I probably will, I honest can’t understand why people complain.

1. It’s free.
2. PS4 hasn’t been around for long, so it hasn’t had time to get AAA titles.
3. Just because a game hasn’t got good graphics or doesn’t suit your “style” doesn’t mean you won’t end up liking it.
4. Indie games can be SUPER fun. Cough cough Outlast cough cough

Show more replies

Awesome update Thank you.

Pretty good lineup we have there :) I wanted to snatch Strider on release, but resisted the temptation and now, here it is :D
There is however one thing I LOVE. The voting poll you created is a great idea to easily see what people like and want. Hope you will consider the results with the selection of games for next month :)
Keep it up guys.

Have got them all except for the Vita games. Will grab Doki Doki. Still a good line up imo.

epicbychoice 25 June, 2014 @ 17:01

Hey Chris, awesome work getting dead space 3 to the IGC, I wanted to ask, are the any plans on getting Resident Evil 6/Revelations to the IGC? and or Dragon’s Crown to PS3?

38.1

I don’t really have anything to share regarding Resident Evil but we have just had Dragons Crown on VITA so it’s unlikely that we will do it on PS3 as well

38.2

well, they say it’s unlikely, but there is a long history in the PS+ past of games being free on one platform a month, and on another platform some months later ;) look for example : Mortal Kombat 9 free on Vita on december 2012, and on PS3 on february 2013 ;)

38.3

There have been 2 or 3 such cases. Not really “a long history”. And surely none that requires further episodes. :p

CloudsurferTom 25 June, 2014 @ 17:01

I would play dead space if I had a ps3 btw

Flocka_Flame_Ova 25 June, 2014 @ 17:03

Can’t wait

Good month, not a fan of the LEGO games though as they’re always a toned-down version of their console counterparts.

Any chance of Splinter Cell: Blacklist appearing in the IGC anytime soon?

Keep up the good work Chris.

Flocka_Flame_Ova 25 June, 2014 @ 17:04

Yes can’t wait

Shame Strider isnt cross-buy.. id like to play that on PS3…

Stonesthrow 25 June, 2014 @ 17:06

Doki Doki Universe is definitely my highlight of the month. Strider second best. Towerfall looks great with friends so as a lonewolf it doesn’t seem I’ll get much out of it. Dead space 3 is a nice pick but already own it. The rest I won’t be bothered it. Decent update all in all. Good to read it from Sony instead of from a leak for a change :d

Good update, I anticipated Dead Space 3 in plus :), never heard of Vessel, but i give every game a chance. Lego Batman 2 for vita is nice update too. I some of the following games : Assassins Creed 4, Saints Row 4, Rayman Legend, Tearaway, LBP Vita will come to ps+ this year. I also wonder how long you gonna contiinue the plus service on ps 3 and ps vita, but i think we won’t get the answer until this just happen.

45.1

I hope some of*

dead space 3 is the best game this month the rest dont look to good they need to stop giving us rubbish games for psn plus i want decent games

JohnMerced32 25 June, 2014 @ 18:33
46.1

I agree brother:)

Towerfall is absolutely brilliant, honestly give it a try. I do hope they give it an online multiplayer patch at some point though. Really pleased to see Strider on there as well, almost bought that a couple of months ago.

Stonesthrow 25 June, 2014 @ 17:18
47.1

It doesn’t have online multi with randoms? Completely useless to me then..

dividsmythe 25 June, 2014 @ 17:10

Nice I just platted Lego Batman 2 last week on Vita. It’s very easy. Another average month. In actual fact I think its getting worse on Ps+. It might only be saved by Doki doki.

pinkplaybunny 25 June, 2014 @ 17:10

Nothing here that i had been holding out for, but a few that i will give a try so not too bad :-)

alphastreamz 25 June, 2014 @ 17:10

the only thing you are doing right sony atm. PS+ is a great deal on PS4 not the retail pricing or digital pricing of ps4 games

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.