Posted

Final Fantasy XIV 2.3: Defenders of Eorzea update out today

Full details on the latest batch of content landing in the hugely popular MMO

Every few months, something magical happens here at Square Enix. While we’re watching all of you adventurers, fighting your way through Eorzea, we think to ourselves “We should give them more. We can give them more. It’s been three months already!” – and then, in a secret and mysterious ceremony, High Priest of the Code Yoshida-san gets the dev team together, places a development PC in a magic circle, together with some Final Fantasy artefacts, energy drinks and fast food, and, using ancient magic, summons forth a mighty content update!

Well, okay. There may be a lot more actual work and a bit less actual magic involved, but that doesn’t change the fact that as you are reading this, the update is being applied to the servers! Also, I’d really love to see the scene described above in art form – any artists reading this…?

What do you mean, you don’t know what this update adds to the game? We can’t have that. Watch the 2.3 trailer right here, right now, and then tell me you’re not looking forward to joining in!

When you next get in to the game, you will be able to:

• Continue your story in the main scenario and learn more about the dangers from which you have to defend Eorzea!
  • Find numerous new side story quests, giving you a deeper insight into the lore of the world.
  • Fight for the faction of your choice in Frontline, the brand new three-faction PvP mode with up to 72 players on the same battlefield!
  • Fight your way up the Syrcus Tower, defeating enemies that the long-time Final Fantasy fans among you might remember dearly!
  • Find out why you have to fight Ramuh, the Lord of Levin, widely renowned as the wisest of the Primals.
  • Make your way through the new Hard Modes of Tam-Tara Deepcroft and the Stone Vigil.
  • Explore the brand new, stunning outdoor dungeon Hullbreaker Isle.
  • Hunt down the most notorious feral beasts that have ever plagued Eorzea.
  • Raise and train your Chocobo and make him the very best, like no Chocobo ever was!
  • Relax in your brand-new private chambers in your Free Company’s house.

FFXIV_PUB_Patch2.3_36

So, what exactly are you waiting for? Why are you not downloading yet? Oh, you are? Well, then you can have a read over the complete patch notes on the Lodestone while you wait. But be warned, there’s a lot more detail on the new contents than I could’ve squeezed into this article!

Be sure to let us know what you think about the newest update in the comments, and as usual, I’ll provide answers to questions wherever possible :)

18 Comments
10 Author replies
Lt_Fed_Brusque 08 July, 2014 @ 12:18

I always enjoy the personal nature of your blog posts :) I’m really looking forward to 72-player battles in Frontline, but I have to admit I’m also dreading it a little. I’m a level 50 white mage and healers are always the first to be targeted in PvP. Maybe you can join my team tonight and protect me? :P

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 08 July, 2014 @ 14:45
1.1

Thanks, glad people enjoy the posts :) I’m trying to break free from the usual marketing talk on purpose, always good to see that it’s appreciated.

Unfortunately, I’m in no position to protect others – I’m a black mage, the best I can do is kill them before they kill you ;)

I like the game but the lack of dual spec put me off, sure I can level a new class but that’s time consuming that I really don’t enjoy. Also it would be nice if you could let us renew through the PSN.

2.1

You do realise you can be any class on one character right? And just switch class by equipping a different weapon?

You don’t even need to create a new character.

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 08 July, 2014 @ 14:47
2.2

The suggestion has been put forward – if, or when, we might be able to implement this is unfortunately not something I can answer, sorry :( But you can rest assured that, should be introduce payments through PSN, you’ll be able to read about it here.

2.3

I said “new class” not character, which also needs leveling.

I soooooooo want to return to Gridania (-.-) I loved the trial and like I said I have nice collector edition standing on my shelf…. but I need more free time :(

I had nice looking 100000000% pure manly character named Kieri Phelan (now that I see, I can’t access it via lodestone) huh… I will be back!

—————
Anyway Mr. Thaens are you able to tell us anything about Type-0 vita ? Did you at SE even talked about it? Will there be any official statement? That “ups sorry it was meant to be PS4” wasn’t nice at all! And there wasn’t even any apology… plus that black PR thingy “we listened to you” when they clearly didn’t.

Show full comment

—————

I know that you are great guy and you are responsible for different game… but I’m just going to tell it… I don’t really like what SE is doing in Europe… first Drakengard 3 (no retail + we “listened” so heave a collector edition with digital game + still broken digital) and than Type-0 blunder… If nothing will change FF XIV will be my last game from SE. I’m fan of SE since 95’… but enough is enough… I don’t like when I’m treated like a fool and easy source of money… so yeah… I’ve cancelled pre-order for KH 2.5 HD…

Anyway… you probably can’t say anything about Type-0 right? So please ignore this part! But I really feel like telling it you are one of the few people in Square Enix I still have deep respect! I can’t say that anymore for whole SE… sorry

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 08 July, 2014 @ 14:49
3.1

Glad you’re enjoying the game :) There’s tons of new content now (playing through it myself right now on the other monitor) – just logging in and playing for 30 minutes can already get quite a bit of stuff done :)

In terms of Type-0, as I mentioned in the last article – the feedback has been forwarded to the according team, but I can’t really talk on behalf of other Square Enix products. Completely different teams, and such. Sorry!

Love this game so much. After a month of trying finally beat garuda ex with my fc. Will the cap on myths of solidarity be lifted? Cant wait to explore the crystal tower!!

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 08 July, 2014 @ 14:51
5.1

No news on the cap from my end, I fear – if there are any changes, that is most likely something that Yoshida-san or one of my colleagues would announce on the official forums.

In terms of Crystal Tower – I unlocked it 2 hours ago, it looks fantastic (FC is bugging me to join them right now ^^)

Can you put forward the suggestion to allow us to download updates if we don’t have a current subscription?

Went to update to 2.3 earlier and couldn’t because I don’t currently have an active sub.

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 08 July, 2014 @ 14:52
6.1

That suggestion has actually been put forward not too long ago – I will make sure to add the feedback from the article to that mail thread :)

6.2

Thanks for the response Kahuna.

Also, not FFXIV related, but as you’re an SE employee: any chance you can put forward the suggestion to get the PS1 FF games on the UK/EU PS Store updated to their 60hz variants?

We’re stuck with the 50hz PAL versions which makes the games 17% slower with ugly black bars. It’s really not acceptable nowadays. I for one would be extremely grateful to play those games in 60hz on my Vita in the UK.

European_Gamer 08 July, 2014 @ 16:05

When are the new rogue and ninja characters coming?

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 08 July, 2014 @ 16:28
7.1

They will be part of 2.4, for which we have not yet announced a release date.

Not sure if you can help but on the game itself, under topics, the notes regarding the patch still say missing plug in. Its been like that since the 4th july :( you able to speak to wizards who manage this section of the game to fix it? This is for ps4 version.

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 08 July, 2014 @ 19:26
8.1

I’ll forward that to our QA department, they’ll have a look at it, in case it’s not yet a known issue :) Cheers for the report!

Lt_Fed_Brusque 09 July, 2014 @ 08:41

My fears about Frontline were unfounded. It’s amazing! :D The respawn feature takes away the pressure from healers. I didn’t enjoy the previous PvP (Wolves Den) but Frontline is excellent! It’s tactical and fun and the map is HUGE. Well done! I’m going to be spending a lot of time on the Carteneau Flats :)

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 09 July, 2014 @ 10:39
9.1

Glad to hear you like it! Yeah, the queues for Frontline were amazing last night. People seem to enjoy it a lot in general! I didn’t have the time to jump in yet… Maybe tonight!

earthbound64666 09 July, 2014 @ 11:52

Offtopic, but where is Front Mission 3 on the store? Please reply!

Can You Explain Why ONLY 2 Replies and Why we are still missing many PS+ Discounts: 491 Comments 2 Author replies
I Posted here because you have totally ignored the original topic. Where is:
Final Fantasy IV (Discount goes live Thursday 3rd July) (Shame it’s the 9th and this still hasn’t Happened!)
now €4.99/AU$7.55/£3.99

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 09 July, 2014 @ 17:41
11.1

Nope, I can’t explain that, because I didn’t write it.

If you look into the upper right corner of the article, you will see who wrote it, as well as some information about that person. I am a guest writer here, I work for Square Enix Europe, and I work particularly on Final Fantasy XIV only. So this answer goes out to earthbound64666 as well – I can not comment on other Square Enix products, and definitely not on articles that others have written.

Hey Kahuna, did you catch my response to your response? Thanks :)

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 09 July, 2014 @ 17:50
12.1

Hey Vashetti, yes, I have, but same as I just wrote in the other comment – I fear I can’t comment on that, and I’m not exactly sure who works on that project either. You should have a good chance to be heard here, though:

My first time posting anything, but here goes. I’m not sure if these are realistic concerns of mine but what the heck. I really enjoy playing on the new frontline pvp instances! The only BIG problem for me is the party make-up process. I have waited for hours to get into one instance. 72 is a lot if people to all be free and ready to go without frequent withdrawals or simply canceling. Is there any way after hitting commence to join the instance, those who leave be replaced without breaking up the group that’s already formed? Thanks!

I played with the beta, right before launch and I really enjoyed the game, but I am a little afraid to buy it.
There were a lot of frame-drops in the PS4 version, and I read that the fps drops are still in the game.
Will that be fixed any time soon? Is it even possible to fix that? I know it’s a MMO, and I don’t want constant 60 fps with 1080p, that would be impossible, even on PC, but it would be great if it wouldn’t drop below 30.

I know it has been a week, but please answer me since I am getting ignored everywhere.

Where is my Eorzea Libra VITA? It was proised last August!!!

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history