Posted

New Destiny video: What to expect from this week’s PS3/PS4 beta

With just 48 hours to go, Bungie gives us the lowdown on the trial run

This Thursday Bungie is finally opening the doors to its much anticipated Destiny beta, allowing everyone who’s pre-ordered its epic sci-fi shooter an early taste of what its bold new universe holds in store.

To whet your appetite, we recently stopped by Bungie HQ to find out more about what the studio has in store for the trial run. Check out the video above, and if you still have any unanswered questions head over to the official beta FAQ on Bungie.net. See you in-game later this week!

55 Comments
6 Author replies
WarChylde83 15 July, 2014 @ 14:07

When the Destiny Beta be available for download for PSN preorders in the UK?

1.1

It downloaded for me at the weekend.

1.2

Chances are that it is already. At least in Russia I was able to pre-load it yesterday.

WarChylde83 15 July, 2014 @ 14:38
1.3

That’s odd. Next to Destiny Beta on my download list it says cannot download or install.

Show more replies

Everything I want to know? Not quite Bungie! How big is it going to be on my PS4? And any chance I can download it before its release? Cheers! To the PS Blog I ask, where have your posts been? I find myself somewhat obsessed with the blog so it greatly upsets me to not see a daily refresh :(

2.1

It’s a 12.3GB download that expands to 15GB on install.

2.2

Why thank you Jimster-71.

Fred Dutton 15 July, 2014 @ 14:47
2.3

You and me both. I think yesterday was our first weekday without an update since I started here :( We’re in the traditionally quiet post-E3 pre-Gamescom patch – things will get very busy very soon!

Show more replies
madmanwithabox12 15 July, 2014 @ 14:25

This is the kind of thing I was referring to on the Sunday post. No Vita stuff, just PS3/PS4 all the time. PS3 in particular needs to phase out, like Microsoft did with Xbox 360. The focus should be entirely on PS4 AND Vita going forward, but Vita is treated like the black sheep of the PlayStation family. No hype for Vita whatsoever. I know I sound like a broken record, but we’re clearly not being heard on the matter. Give us Vita owners a reason to be excited/satisfied. Remote Play isn’t that (you need a PS4 to play PS4 games without triggers…). PlayStation Now isn’t that (it’s coming to everything under the sun and Vita isn’t first). The indie boom isn’t that (most of the indies are on everything).

PS3 needs to be phased out? GTFO! Do you know how long PS2 lasted? PS3 still has years of life left.

alice_push_lara2 15 July, 2014 @ 16:55
3.2

i remember Sony teased Gravity Rush 2 at last E3
probably that will be the very last GOOD vita exclusive we will get, since Freedom Wars received very poor fans feedbacks from japan/asia

“Buy a Vita Buy a Vita Buy a Vita Buy a Vita Buy a Vita Buy a Vita Buy a Vita Buy a Vita Buy a Vita.”

So I bought a Vita.

“Sorry, no more good Vita games.”

Important Questions:

1. Will I be able to play Destiny from other accounts (on the same PS4) that I buy it for? For instance, if I buy it on my US account, can I play it from my EU account? Or is it locked to the account I bought it on?

2. Will there be separate servers for US and EU version of the game?

3. Will digital pre-orderers also receive 3 beta codes? When will this be sent?

4.1

Officially, you should only have an EU account, so I doubt they will answer those sorts of questions on here ;)

4.2

Sony will be happy with my money regardless of where it comes from, I believe… ;)

With the ridiculous pricing of EU games, I’ve started buying from the US PSN store instead. Just haven’t had a chance to try online games in this manner yet.

alice_push_lara2 15 July, 2014 @ 17:02
4.3

same as PS3, PS4 is region free and supporting multiple accounts so yes, you can get any game from any regions and play it with your own account, just remember to buy the DLCs from from the region where you purchase your game
however you cant do the same with vita as it only allows you to use 1 account without resetting your memory card

Still nothing about the Digital Guardian Edition and when it’ll be available to pre-order. I was hoping to get that before the beta starts. Guess I’ll pre-order the normal one and then cancel when the Digital Guardian Edition comes up.

Fred Dutton 15 July, 2014 @ 14:48
5.1

My apologies for the lack of information about the Digital Guardian Edition. I’m hoping to have an update for you all later this afternoon or early tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick answer!

so, what’s the status Fred?

I3loodthirsty 15 July, 2014 @ 14:36

*cough* give us the destiny digital guardian edition for pre order already *cough*

Possibly a silly question, but I had the pleasure of trying the alpha (which was pretty solid already!), was just wondering if that automatically qualifies me to play the beta or will I need a specific beta key?

7.1

You need a separate key to play the Beta.

WarChylde83 15 July, 2014 @ 14:41
7.2

You need a beta code from a retailer when you preorder with them, or preorder the full game from the Playstation store.

Fred Dutton 15 July, 2014 @ 14:48
7.3

Indeed, you will need a separate key. You can get one by pre-ordering the game.

Steve_Of_The_O 15 July, 2014 @ 14:40

I’m waiting on the Destiny Charlie. Played the Alpha and enjoyed it but there’ll be literally nothing to be excited for come launch day if I see hear or play any more of this.

Looks great but… Yawn.

8.1

Technically the letter after Beta in the Greek alphabet is Gamma (Alpha, Beta, Gamma). If you’re talking about the NATO phonetic alphabet, then that would be Alpha/Alfa, Bravo, Charlie. ;-)

Steve_Of_The_O 15 July, 2014 @ 15:27
8.2

Tau Lambda; Delta Rho

Ok thanks for reply. I will most likely pre order anyway. Cheers again.

I think you genuinely need a blog-updater who can keep posting periodically to keep hype up for upcoming games.

Not only do I find myself hearing about a game one month, only to forget about it until new information comes to light 6 months later, but yesterday was a weekday with no update! Perfect time for someone to repost old posts (reworded… ;) ) – regarding upcoming games.

Fred Dutton 15 July, 2014 @ 15:10
10.1

We’re pretty strict on only having ‘new’ news on PS Blog. Sorry it was so quiet yesterday – just a weird one-off.

UK_Rocklance 15 July, 2014 @ 17:38
10.2

About having ‘new’ news on the PS Blog, I would suggest renaming “Breaking News” to “Latest News”. It’s kinda funny to be reading ‘breaking news’ that’s like 4 days old.

UK_Rocklance 15 July, 2014 @ 15:23

1. Will save data from the beta be carried over to the full game? Could the competitive save data be wiped but retaining the single-player and co-op data?

2. What’s the level cap? It was too low in the alpha.

3. Are different regions (including Asia and Japan) on the same server(s) and can play together? (question applicable to beta and full game)

4. Will there be some region restrictions when it comes to match making? If so, will the region be determined by the region of the PSN account, the region of the game, or IP address (indicating physical location)? (beta and full game)

11.1

Bungie have said that they are making no announcements yet regarding data carrying over to the main game.

It’s fairly unlikely though, I’d expect.

UK_Rocklance 15 July, 2014 @ 17:44
11.2

Ya, I think it’s fairly unlikely too, but I wish they’d tell us. It directly determines how much time I am going to sink into the beta, beyond exploring what’s new that was not in the alpha. Wish they at least let us continue with our data from the alpha into the beta so we can jump quickly into the new stuff. (I played the alpha for about 20 hrs.)

Bungie site says come back on the 17th for PS4 EU codes!

darthMUMPTY 15 July, 2014 @ 15:54

I have some interest in this but am not preordering and no doubt commiting myself to buying it unless i can try it first…..without a key i cant try it so no buy for me

13.1

Pre order from the store,, then cancel after the beta. No money is taken

So the ppl who pre-ordered a physical copy have to wait until the 17th to download the beta? :( Would have made more sense to make it available for download so its ready to go when beta launches…

I3loodthirsty 15 July, 2014 @ 16:12

According to fred on his twitter he posted about 20 mins ago saying “hes confirming details on the digital guardian edition and it definitely wont be on today” o_o

Fred Dutton 16 July, 2014 @ 09:27
15.1

Sorry for the delay in getting you all concrete information. I still don’t have a firm release time for the DGE, but I can say that it will not go live today (Wednesday). If you’re waiting for it to go live before pre-ordering and claiming your beta key, you can go for the standard edition then cancel and upgrade at a later date. More news asap.

I3loodthirsty 16 July, 2014 @ 10:10
15.2

I kind of expected it not to be available any time soon, scea only got the pre order on their store within an hour or so of it being announced and over a week later scee are still in the dark about if/when we might be deamed worthy of it.

15.3

Will SCEE be posting an update on the blog re it’s availability instead of replying in comments?

destiny woooooow

Are we getting the full game on plus when it’s released or what? Come on, SCEE. Enough with the secrecy.

Nah, I’m just yankin’ ya chain.
Can I preorder this from anywhere, or does it have to be GAME or something, I’d google it but.. you know.. laziness.

Fred Dutton 15 July, 2014 @ 17:48
17.1

Yes, as I understand it, you can pre-order anywhere – digital or physical

17.2

Thanks Mr D!

So, when will the beta go online?

I3loodthirsty 15 July, 2014 @ 20:12
18.1

It goes live on thursday probably around 6pm here if it goes of west coast us time.

At least playing the beta will pass the time waiting for scee to decide if/when to put the digital guardian edition on the store for pre order.

18.2

I hope we will get the codes from Bungie earlier, and we can download it before it goes live…

So what exactly is the PS Store Destiny PS4 Bundle (~55GBP)? A Digital Guardian Edition or…

I3loodthirsty 16 July, 2014 @ 09:57
19.1

The “bundle” that is on the store atm is the basic edition of destiny with the ps exclusive pack

What’s the size of the beta on PS3? Was planning to get the PS4 before Destiny’s launch but then I heard about the PS4 Destiny bundle so I want to cancel my pre-order for the game and pre-order that instead. Problem is, I still want to enjoy the beta. So my second question is, can I join the PS3 beta then cancel that order and get the Destiny bundle instead with no hassle?

Stonesthrow 16 July, 2014 @ 14:18

Won’t be bothered with the beta (no spoil) but can’t wait for the full game to release since it’s my most anticipated current gen title. Hope they don’t go overboard on the marketing closer to its release though, don’t want to be sick of seeing it before I get my hands on it..

I pre ordered the game around a month ago on PSN, and every time I go to check the version I pre ordered it says on the download bar that I have to wait another 54 days. Do I have to wait 54 days even though I pre ordered through the PSN.

22.1

The countdown it to when the full game releases

Fred Dutton 17 July, 2014 @ 09:21

Sorry for the delay in confirming this, but the Digital Guardian Edition will be on store at around 6pm BST today (which is also when the beta goes live). If you pre-order that you will still get access to the beta. Or you can go ahead and order the standard edition and then upgrade to DGE at a later date. Hope you all enjoy the beta this week!

23.1

cheers for the update!

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history